HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Bad analogy. That would only make sense if the players wearing the MONTREAL jersey were from Mtl.

People identify with certain players for various reasons. It could be because they play that position themselves and respect what it take to make it to that level or just because they like the player's personality.

The odds of winning a cup are very low. There are perennial contenders who never win it. Some teams win it but never repeat. It's not the 60's anymore. There are more teams and parity and we don't automatically get the best player from the Q.

Real fans don't hold out celebrations for a cup win. Real fans celebrate every win and every little battle won, players 1st NHL goal and individual accomplishments as well. People who wait for playoff wins are called bandwagon fans.

Heck, if a Habs player had given Thornton a concussion, I would celebrate that as well.
Good god man, you can't be serious.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Aceekay

I keep hearing its to make pk a better team player. When the hell did he stop being a team player? God some people need together off his case.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What's your point?

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
What's your point?
That people bringing up the fabled 'habs get the best player from quebec/the q' line have done very little investigation into how much it ever actually helped them.

http://liammaguiresultimatehockey.co...-or-fiction-2/

Old
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
David_99

I completely expected this and think it's a good idea. The team lifting their sticks to the crowd at the end of the games, thanking the fans, shows a lot of team unity while also acknowledging the fans is a nice touch. The low five was the fun but it was the PK & Price only show. Even though the fans like it, it comes off as them just congratulating each other while the rest of the team leaves the ice. Perception-wise, I like this move. It'll also help PK in his maturing. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but it's something they'll clearly be working on with him and this is a good first step imo.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:
In his defense, we all know the BS myth about players from Quebec being an exclusive right, but it is true that back in the 70's the emphasis on the draft and scouting wasn't what it is today, and the Habs had an easier job finding Quebec based talent ahead of the competition than possible in modern hockey. It took a lot of work and intelligent leadership to bring us generations of "flying Frenchmen" dominating the NHL, but the point remains that it's different today and there's no coincidence the Canadiens decline started around the same time Europeans and Americans decreased the percentage of Quebecois players in the league.

I think his point is very fair, Habs fans are a victim of their own history and demand a standard that just isn't realistic in the modern NHL. The goal should always be to win the cup, but there is an assumption around here and elsewhere that we are a good GM away from another dynasty, when it doesn't work like that anymore.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Andy

I hate the way the team has been treating PK. They have been singling him out this whole team with their "he needs to learn to be a man", "needs to learn to be a team player". Then they get mad that the media only talks about PK. Such bush league by management in regards to PK.

What's next? Pk won't be allowed the smile? Won't be allowed to celebrate after a goal?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Habbadasher

Wouldn't want the fans to be entertained or the players to have fun or show personality.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
That people bringing up the fabled 'habs get the best player from quebec/the q' line have done very little investigation into how much it ever actually helped them.
Not what I meant. Deeper talent pool at that time and fewer teams = exceptional players. It was just a different era and a lot of our older fans are stuck in the past. Domination will not happen again. Ever.

Troubling that you thought that was the highlight of my post...

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
In his defense, we all know the BS myth about players from Quebec being an exclusive right, but it is true that back in the 70's the emphasis on the draft and scouting wasn't what it is today, and the Habs had an easier job finding Quebec based talent ahead of the competition than possible in modern hockey. It took a lot of work and intelligent leadership to bring us generations of "flying Frenchmen" dominating the NHL, but the point remains that it's different today and there's no coincidence the Canadiens decline started around the same time Europeans and Americans decreased the percentage of Quebecois players in the league.

I think his point is very fair, Habs fans are a victim of their own history and demand a standard that just isn't realistic in the modern NHL. The goal should always be to win the cup, but there is an assumption around here and elsewhere that we are a good GM away from another dynasty, when it doesn't work like that anymore.
I had no problems with the post as a whole, just that oft repeated and tired line.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
It seemed like Price mentioned it when some reporter was speaking with him. Therien says something about celebrating this year is for the fans...

Here is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From tsn.ca, Michel Therrien
It's a team concept, you have to respect the game, the other team and the fans.

The way we decided to celebrate this year is to salute the fans because they deserve it.
But what if the fans want to see triple low fives? Salute the fans by giving them what they want?!

I don't care about this, just thought it was amusing that the celebration this year is for the fans, but the fans have no say in what they want to see. (I also hate the 3 stars being fan voted)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Not what I meant. Deeper talent pool at that time and fewer teams = exceptional player. It was just a different era and a lot of our older fans are stuck in the past. Domination will not happen again. Ever.

Troubling that you thought that was the highlight of my post...
I never said it was the highlight of your post. Just a crack in an otherwise quite sturdy and healthy wall of argument

Old
sharks9

I think this is dumb by Therrien. It was a funny little ritual and no players from other teams ever complained about it so why bother removing it?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I hate the way the team has been treating PK. They have been singling him out this whole team with their "he needs to learn to be a man", "needs to learn to be a team player". Then they get mad that the media only talks about PK. Such bush league by management in regards to PK.
It's kind of interesting how Martin was viewed as the Devil around here for benching PK once under accusations of trying to "make him boring", but when things like this come from Therrien and Bergevin they are applauded for putting "character" ahead of Subban having personality. Perception is everything.

Quote:
I had no problems with the post as a whole, just that oft repeated and tired line.
But to some degree it is true that the Habs had an advantage in finding and signing Quebec based talent, even if it is grossly exaggerated to downplay our success.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Swarez

Can someone please ask the Coach if the Price is still allowed to do this after shootout wins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7kSPeuiiU

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:22 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
It's kind of interesting how Martin was viewed as the Devil around here for benching PK once under accusations of trying to "make him boring", but when things like this come from Therrien and Bergevin they are applauded for putting "character" ahead of Subban having personality. Perception is everything.
Is it the same people? No opinion about the Habs is ever 100% one sided. A lot of people came out to bad mouth Martin. Now a lot of people come out to defend the new regime. I'm sure it's not an exact science. Plus people are still pissy at Subban for holding out. Let PK play and we will all remember why we loved him in the first place.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Edited my post to avoid non-voluntarily repeating a myth.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I think this is dumb by Therrien. It was a funny little ritual and no players from other teams ever complained about it so why bother removing it?
Because it was probably a bit awkward for players on our team? And I don't think this is somekind of punishment for PK or anything, it's just that the team decided that this year they're gonna celebrate in the middle with the fans. It will help PK getting this whole "team concept" more. Wouldn't be awkward that while the others are in the middle, PK and Price are celebrating on their own? I don't really see how this would "suck the life away" from PK, or the team or from the NHL. Like seriously...if PK scores a goal i'm sure he can celebrate all he wants cuz it would be HIS moment. But it just makes it more "we won this together" at the end of a win by celebrating together no?

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
But to some degree it is true that the Habs had an advantage in finding and signing Quebec based talent, even if it is grossly exaggerated to downplay our success.
This is an article that has disapeered, but some of it was quoted here on HFboards. Found here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=725314

Quote:
What the NHL's brain trust decided to do was they would attempt to help Montreal's attendance and thereby hopefully their bottom line financially. So they decided that the Montreal Canadiens could take any two players from the province of Quebec in a special draft. There was one rider however. None of these players could have already been previously signed to a C form (confirmation form) with any other club.

Montreal protected 14 players through this special draft. Unfortunately none of them ever played a minute in the NHL. Reason being, anybody who could tie their skates and chew gum at the same time were already long signed by other NHL teams including the Canadiens who certainly wern't going to survive solely with this rule

Selke had a vision about a series of teams in the minor leagues that would be stocked with players that Montreal would sign to C forms. These minor league teams and the players on them were soon to be known as 'a farm system.' This was the origin of the farm system as we know it today.

From 1963-1967 none of the players Montreal selected played one minute in the NHL, ever. Finally in 1968, they drafted their first live one. A goalie named Michel Plasse

Montreal was given one final kick at the French Canadian can and they made the most of it by selecting Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif. That was it for the French rule.
So no, this rule never really helped the Montreal Canadiens.

Also check out this link: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/hoc.../canadiens.htm

It really wasn't anything special, most teams had a similar opportunity since you had a 50 mile radius to search in your area, just in Montreal, kids played hockey growing up, but they did that in other places also.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Is it the same people? No opinion about the Habs is ever 100% one sided. A lot of people came out to bad mouth Martin. Now a lot of people come out to defend the new regime. I'm sure it's not an exact science. Plus people are still pissy at Subban for holding out. Let PK play and we will all remember why we loved him in the first place.
Well, a lot is coming from the same sources (such as ahem, a southern one), I just hate the obsession with narratives like "character" and "toughness".

Quote:
I know this, but the point is the Canadiens did have ways of personally developing local talent that isn't really possible in the modern context - in the 60's they basically pioneered the farm system, and while other teams copied this, the Habs and the Leafs had an advantage of having most of the leagues talent at the time in their own backyards giving them a head start in finding talent to sign, and in the early 70s, when the draft was still somewhat underrated, the Habs were ahead of the curve in scouting. There's some responses in that thread about how the Habs did have an advantage that I have to agree with.

There was nothing unfair about it at all, but much like the Red Wings got a head start in European scouting to build their 90's successes, it's not really viable in the modern NHL.

Last edited by Et le But: 02-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Im very neutral to this

some ppl in this post say "its for the fans" lol, get real.

If the habs win, is your happiness augmented by two guys low fiving?

Sure, it was fun, but it was a gimmick, not player's emotion. Its one thing to do it spontaneously, another thing to do it after every win. And like someone else mentioned, last year was so bad, after they lose 5 in a row and win 1 game, should they be celebrating that way?

No other team has two guys singled out celebrating, and its because its a team game.

So no reason to be happy or pissed off about it, if that habs win consistently, no one will miss the low five.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
habdynasty

I dont think the players should allowed to smile when on the ice. This is a job damn it.....

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
This is an article that has disapeered, but some of it was quoted here on HFboards. Found here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=725314

In fact, you can argue that bringing Reggie Houle into the fold ended up ****ing the organization way more than helping it during his playing days

Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
JHabs61

inb4 triple high five

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Because it was probably a bit awkward for players on our team? And I don't think this is somekind of punishment for PK or anything, it's just that the team decided that this year they're gonna celebrate in the middle with the fans.
The whole saluting the fans at center ice is a little contrived, and every team does it.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not exactly a heart felt connection with the fans, at all.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote