HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
  #301
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Lines at practice:

Jeffrey-Crosby-Dupuis
Boychuk-Malkin-Neal

Kunitz is out sick again -- which begs the question, how can be be sick enough to not practice, but well enough to play? (answer, he can't). I hope he sits for the weekend to be honest. Dude clearly needs some rest or something anyway.
Yup I agree. Give him a weekend of rest. It will do him and the team some good. I am confident he can get back to being Chris Kunits, but he clearly needs a rest or something.

I'd rather see Boychuk and Jeffrey swapped but oh well.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  #302
Penguinzilla
Registered User
 
Penguinzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Lines at practice:

Jeffrey-Crosby-Dupuis
Boychuk-Malkin-Neal

Kunitz is out sick again -- which begs the question, how can be be sick enough to not practice, but well enough to play? (answer, he can't). I hope he sits for the weekend to be honest. Dude clearly needs some rest or something anyway.
I was hoping to see

Boychuk-Crosby-Dupuis
Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal

But HCDB probably won't do that because 1st line would be too small

Penguinzilla is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
  #303
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Eric Tangradi is a bust because we claimed a promising player that you think isn't very good? Okay that makes sense.
It's amazing how delusional some folks can be.

Lets see... Eric Tangradi has been scratched for consecutive games, he's played less than 9 minutes per game this season, and Shero just brought in an AHL guy to try in the top 6.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, I get it, but those are the facts.

If you still can't see that Tangradi's days are numbered here in Pittsburgh, I don't know that you'll ever see it.

cassius is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
  #304
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
It's amazing how delusional some folks can be.

Lets see... Eric Tangradi has been scratched for consecutive games, he's played less than 9 minutes per game this season, and Shero just brought in an AHL guy to try in the top 6.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, I get it, but those are the facts.

If you still can't see that Tangradi's days are numbered here in Pittsburgh, I don't know that you'll ever see it.
Why does he have to be a top 6 player?

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
  #305
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 80
Is Boychuk going to get a chance to show what he can do in a top six role? Or will Byslma use him 8 minutes a night (when he's not a healthy scratch) on the 4th line?

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
  #306
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Why does he have to be a top 6 player?
He doesn't have the toughness, grit, or intangibles to be a bottom 6 player. So his skillset is kinda in no man's land, hence why DB/Shero have been choosing to keep him in this press box lately.

I do think he'll eventually carve out a niche similar to Boyle's on the Rangers, but it's going to take some time.


Last edited by cassius: 02-01-2013 at 01:35 PM.
cassius is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  #307
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
It's amazing how delusional some folks can be.

Lets see... Eric Tangradi has been scratched for consecutive games, he's played less than 9 minutes per game this season, and Shero just brought in an AHL guy to try in the top 6.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, I get it, but those are the facts.

If you still can't see that Tangradi's days are numbered here in Pittsburgh, I don't know that you'll ever see it.
Now this statement I agree with. His days in Pittsburgh are numbered. He is likely not a long term fit here and is likely not a top 6 winger anywhere. However, that is an entirely different thing than saying "he's a bust". To me he is an NHL player.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  #308
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Is Boychuk going to get a chance to show what he can do in a top six role? Or will Byslma use him 8 minutes a night (when he's not a healthy scratch) on the 4th line?
I think he will get a shot at being on the Malkin line but if it doesn't work out we will see him on the 3rd line with Sutter since they know and played together in the last few years

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
  #309
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
He doesn't have the toughness, grit, or intangibles to be a bottom 6 player. So his skillset is kinda in no man's land, hence why DB/Shero have been choosing to keep him in this press box lately.
We're a contender. Our bottom six spots are full and he isn't ready for top 6 duty. He's an NHL player, just maybe not on this team.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
  #310
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I think he will get a shot at being on the Malkin line but if it doesn't work out we will see him on the 3rd line with Sutter since they know and played together in the last few years
At this point, why not give him a shot on Crosby's line? That's the line that's struggling to produce. Bump Kunitz to the Malkin line, then put Boychuk with Sid and Dupuis.

Although that's assuming Boychuk's got some offensive ability. I'll admit to knowing very little about him and his style of play. For all I know, he's just another Chris Connor.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  #311
Beaudangles19
Registered User
 
Beaudangles19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Boychuk will play with Malkin and Neal Saturday. Source pens twitter.

Beaudangles19 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
  #312
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
At this point, why not give him a shot on Crosby's line? That's the line that's struggling to produce. Bump Kunitz to the Malkin line, then put Boychuk with Sid and Dupuis.

Although that's assuming Boychuk's got some offensive ability. I'll admit to knowing very little about him and his style of play. For all I know, he's just another Chris Connor.
I would have no problem with that, what ever the **** that can wake Kunitz up is fine with me

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
  #313
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
Boychuk will play with Malkin and Neal Saturday. Source pens twitter.
Not surprising, Shero took this road and if it doesn't work out then he will have no other choice but to make a trade for that winger or stay like this all year and hope for Corey Perry this summer

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
  #314
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,552
vCash: 500
I'd honestly rather see Sid with a whole new line. Boychuk-Sid-Jeffrey, reunite Geno's line from last year, but Duper on Sutter's wing.

Fordy is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
  #315
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.
 
Dying Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I would have no problem with that, what ever the **** that can wake Kunitz up is fine with me
I think Kunitz is sitting because he is (and has been) sick, not as a wake up call. At least that's how they're positioning it. According to multiple local media types he's been struggling with the flu for a while now. While he hasn't been sitting until he feels better is anyone's guess.

Dying Alive is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
  #316
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Looks like DJ had his shot and is getting moved off the line since he's filling in for Kunitz. Don't quite get it since he looked pretty good the last two games.

Jeffrey will probably get a few shifts with the Geno line if he plays on the 4th line since DB likes giving every warm body a little time there. I'm gonna guess Kunitz is going to play and not be held accountable for his poor play this season, flu or whatever be damned.

Sivek is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
  #317
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I think Kunitz is sitting because he is (and has been) sick, not as a wake up call. At least that's how they're positioning it. According to multiple local media types he's been struggling with the flu for a while now. While he hasn't been sitting until he feels better is anyone's guess.
That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

If he's really been struggling with illness all season... then the team needs to tell him to sit a couple of games and get better. He sure isn't helping the team, as it stands.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
  #318
gafel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

If he's really been struggling with illness all season... then the team needs to tell him to sit a couple of games and get better. He sure isn't helping the team, as it stands.
But then Bylsma would have to play Tangradi *gasp* zomggggg

We know he won't let that happen.

gafel is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
  #319
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral
 
Hikaru Kitsune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 3,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
But then Bylsma would have to play Tangradi *gasp* zomggggg

We know he won't let that happen.
Orpik at Wing experiment, V2.

Just so DB can justify putting Lovejoy back in the lineup.

Hikaru Kitsune is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
  #320
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I think he will get a shot at being on the Malkin line but if it doesn't work out we will see him on the 3rd line with Sutter since they know and played together in the last few years
They may be friends, but I don't think they've played much together on the same line.

Sutter's only stint in the AHL was 08/09 and Boychuk arrived there in 09/10. Sutter in 09/10 played only 7 games in the AHL when Boychuk arrived, then moved to the Canes for the rest of the season. Boychuk spent most of his time in the AHL with various callup stints. They may have played some games in Carolina in the 09/10 season when Boychuk was called up, but in the last 2 seasons, Sutter was used in a shutdown role so Boychuk didn't play on that line very often (if at all).

If the plan is for Sutter's line to be the shutdown/defensive line, I can't see how Boychuk makes sense being on that line, as that's not his game. Playing on Malkin's (or Crosby's) line is the best chance Boychuk has ever had. Hopefully for him he can let it all hang out, use his speed and skills and take advantage of it.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
  #321
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
I love how its kunitz that is sick, so instead of sliding boychuk on sids line, he moves DJ off of a line where he actually played well.

What is this obsession with giving Malkin every ****ing winger? His line is NOT the problem.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
  #322
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 26,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We're a contender. Our bottom six spots are full and he isn't ready for top 6 duty. He's an NHL player, just maybe not on this team.
Our bottom six is full only because of reputation. We need a replenishment in the bottom six, and a guy like Boychuk could be a nice fit on Sutter's line.

People say he doesn't have enough grit to play a bottom-six role, but when Boychuk was drafted he was one of the most versatile players available that year. I don't know what has happened since, but perhaps he just needs to get back to playing the way he used to before he got drafted.

He's fast and he can play all three forward positions. I don't see why we have to throw him away after failing to produce as a scorer. We have a whole whack of guys that need to be replaced with younger, fresher legs.

We claim a guy on waivers, and suddenly he either HAS to be the savior or he has to go? That makes no sense.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
  #323
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,190
vCash: 500
Maybe they just want to shelter Boychuk a bit to start off. Put him out there with two very strong, solid players gives him the best chance to succeed short term and get his feet wet while he gets accustomed to the Pens, their offense, etc..

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
  #324
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,036
vCash: 500
Thanks Boom Boom for all of the info you have been sharing on all of new Pen's by way of Carolina. It is greatly appreciated.

td_ice is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
  #325
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Our bottom six is full only because of reputation. We need a replenishment in the bottom six, and a guy like Boychuk could be a nice fit on Sutter's line.

People say he doesn't have enough grit to play a bottom-six role, but when Boychuk was drafted he was one of the most versatile players available that year. I don't know what has happened since, but perhaps he just needs to get back to playing the way he used to before he got drafted.

He's fast and he can play all three forward positions. I don't see why we have to throw him away after failing to produce as a scorer. We have a whole whack of guys that need to be replaced with younger, fresher legs.

We claim a guy on waivers, and suddenly he either HAS to be the savior or he has to go? That makes no sense.
He's not asked to be the savior with Geno-Neal and I think that's probably the point. He just needs to do his thing.

Shady Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.