HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 7 Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks 7:30pm PST Orange vs Orange Edition

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Alaskanice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I thought their speed was giving the Sharks issues, per the norm. Though they handled them well enough.
Yes, Hall was skating fast but it seemed to me that he was skating fast to the corners not the net. When he went to the net, it resulted in the goal. Almost as if he skates too fast for his game. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I didn't really cringe when he had the puck.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Hall probably looked best versus us because he's the biggest of the big 4 and can handle playing against our size a little better. RNH was stopped point blank by Niemi. Eberle set up Hall for a tap-in, and Yakupov had some moments on the PP. Of the Big 5, I thought Justin Schultz looked great. He was jumping into the play creating dynamite chances when he did. Eberle & Hall were the best but probably because they're also the most experienced

He's the biggest but also the fastest, and his playmaking ability his underrated as well. I'm not taking anything away from the other guys, I just think Hall will end up the best of the five if he stays healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Yes, Hall was skating fast but it seemed to me that he was skating fast to the corners not the net. When he went to the net, it resulted in the goal. Almost as if he skates too fast for his game. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I didn't really cringe when he had the puck.

We must have watched a completely different game.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Doubt it. If that were true, then they would have sent him down before McLaren.
Possibly, but they also need a 7th defensemen until Demers/Burns are back.

Waiving Mclaren could have very easily been done at his request...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVooDoo View Post
I don't understand what Todd is doing with Gomez. He's been solid in gaining the offensive zone and generating chances, also Couture's goal would have never happened if it weren't for his play. Yet for some reason he's giving ice time to guys like Burish over him when the game is tied. Does not compute.
Gomez is NOT a guy I would want on the ice when you are trying to protect a lead, or a tie. Computes.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Possibly, but they also need a 7th defensemen until Demers/Burns are back.

Waiving Mclaren could have very easily been done at his request...
They waived McLaren after they took Demers off the IR (there was a chance that he was going to play yesterday). They currently have 8 healthy defensemen.

And I seriously doubt the 2nd part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVooDoo View Post
I don't understand what Todd is doing with Gomez. He's been solid in gaining the offensive zone and generating chances, also Couture's goal would have never happened if it weren't for his play. Yet for some reason he's giving ice time to guys like Burish over him when the game is tied. Does not compute.
I thought Gomez looked pretty average to below average last game (and the game prior). He didn't really deserve "a graduation". I thought Galiardi looked great against Anaheim, so I don't know why he was scratched yesterday, and I thought Sheppard looked great and deserved more ice-time.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
He's the biggest but also the fastest, and his playmaking ability his underrated as well. I'm not taking anything away from the other guys, I just think Hall will end up the best of the five if he stays healthy.

We must have watched a completely different game.
That was a good game guys! It's funny to hear the negative stuff regarding Clowe when he is exactly what our team needs!

Regarding Hall, a LOT of Edmonton fans feel the same. It's funny, Many of us as Oilers fans see Hall as potentially our best player of the group down the road. We also see what our team plays like without him in our lineup and it is a much different game. He drives our team!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Gomez is NOT a guy I would want on the ice when you are trying to protect a lead, or a tie. Computes.
If you are trying to protect a tie, you're doing it wrong. Gomez gives you a better chance to win a tied game than Burish.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eid Ma Clack Shaw View Post
If you are trying to protect a tie, you're doing it wrong. Gomez gives you a better chance to win a tied game than Burish.
He also gives you a better chance at losing the game than Burish.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
He also gives you a better chance at losing the game than Burish.
With Burish, you spend your whole shift in your zone. With Gomez, you don't. We play to win, not not to lose. I pick Gomez. Burish has been absolutely worthless so far.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
do0glas

Galiardi was scratched because he isnt playing in the system.

he has moments of great play, but for the most part he doesnt get involved on the cycle, and he isnt putting the body very much.

he isnt good enough defensively, and he will need to work on his decision making in the offensive zone.

sheppard looked better than gali has imo, and im excited to see more of him. he was super slick on the puck, and kept possession quite well. would love to see a full game with

wingels-gomez-sheppard on the third line.

as far as the line swapping. it was a decent idea from a match up perspective. havlat was having success against their third line, but it wasnt going for him. gomez and couture had good chemistry, and clowe even had chances on his stick. I cant recall if that is from gomez's play or not.

Irwin had a bad gaffe there, but its not enough to keep him out of the line up for demers.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Phu

Clowe should check the length of his stick

BTW thornton was absolutely dominant on the puck again, you just have to love it when he goes into the corner with two (sometimes three) other players and somehow the puck comes shooting out behind his back right to his winger's tape.

Last edited by Phu: 02-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Clowe should check the length of his stick

BTW thornton was absolutely dominant on the puck again, you just have to love it when he goes into the corner with two (sometimes three) other players and somehow the puck comes shooting out behind his back right to his winger's tape.
Nope. He had easily his worst game of the season. Pretty bad.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not going to say it was his best game, but part of the reason for that is he was played tighter and had to clean up more mistakes than in previous games. But that doesn't mean he wasn't strong on the puck. Again. As usual. He had some filthy steals as well.

Last edited by Phu: 02-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I remember during of the PPs, Thornton did a hand-cuff pass to Couture, who was already surrounded by like 3 defenders, but he easily stick-handled through them and passed it back to an open Thornton.
Couture, Pavelski, and Marleau have been the most consistent forwards so far this season. I don't think any of them had a bad game yet. I wouldn't say Thornton was bad though, just not his dominant self offensively. Still back-checked like crazy.

Also, how sad is it that everyone on the team is capable of playing a solid two-way game except for Clowe? Seems like Todd McLellan has the whole team buying into the "well-rounded player" mold, but Clowe gets an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Galiardi was scratched because he isnt playing in the system.

he has moments of great play, but for the most part he doesnt get involved on the cycle, and he isnt putting the body very much.

he isnt good enough defensively, and he will need to work on his decision making in the offensive zone.
I disagree. I thought Galiardi has been steadily improving. He's been great on the forecheck to establish the cycle, and he's been in a supporting position when need be. Honestly, Wingels would have been my choice to scratch (played the least out of all the forwards yesterday). He hasn't really been doing much of anything. Galiardi looks like he's playing to score (cycles the puck, but gets into a scoring position when it's open). Wingels has been looking like he's playing to not get scored against (constant board cycling until they eventually turn it over).

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Irwin had a bad gaffe there, but its not enough to keep him out of the line up for demers.
Why not? One of Irwin or Murray should be out. Demers was on an extremely short leash last season.

Last edited by WTFetus: 02-01-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

"Worst game of the season" is not the same as a "bad" game. While not creating as many scoring chances as he had in previous games, he was still one of the best players on the ice at both ends. Protecting the puck, playing elite defensively, making the players around him better, and rarely making mistakes. Go ask Oilers fans if they thought Joe had a bad game.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I remember during of the PPs, Thornton did a hand-cuff pass to Couture, who was already surrounded by like 3 defenders, but he easily stick-handled through them and passed it back to an open Thornton.
Couture, Pavelski, and Marleau have been the most consistent forwards so far this season. I don't think any of them had a bad game yet. I wouldn't say Thornton was bad though, just not his dominant self offensively. Still back-checked like crazy.

Also, how sad is it that everyone on the team is capable of playing a solid two-way game except for Clowe? Seems like Todd McLellan has the whole team buying into the "well-rounded player" mold, but Clowe gets an exception.
Thornton was fighting the puck all night. He made a couple awful giveaways in the first period. He still busted his ass defensively, but he just wasn't up to his usual standard. I agree with you on the rest.

I have no clue why Clowe gets away with not playing any defense at all, especially when he's the most prone to horrid giveaways.

I was just mulling over the idea that Clowe maybe hasn't been traded yet because he's still injured, possibly the after-effects of that concussion he had.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Thornton was fighting the puck all night. He made a couple awful giveaways in the first period. He still busted his ass defensively, but he just wasn't up to his usual standard. I agree with you on the rest.

I have no clue why Clowe gets away with not playing any defense at all, especially when he's the most prone to horrid giveaways.

I was just mulling over the idea that Clowe maybe hasn't been traded yet because he's still injured, possibly the after-effects of that concussion he had.

You may be on to something. Remember how important Clowe was in that Wings series before Kronwall took him out? The team played completely differently after he was injured, so much so that he was back in the lineup for Game 7 despite being well below 100%. Ever since that hit he's been trending downward, but that may be revisionist history.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

I doubt that, he wouldn't have got in the fight if that was the case. I think he's perfectly healthy and his head just isn't in it. Plus he's the opposite type of player to work in the system the Sharks are now using.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Phu

Quote:
Thornton was fighting the puck all night. He made a couple awful giveaways in the first period.
I just re-watched the first period and he had zero giveaways in the 1st period. He hardly had the puck at all in the 1st. I don't know what you are remembering. He only had one giveaway all game, in the 3rd, and had 3 takeaways.

He had to play defensively for more of this game than others, but he did very well as he usually does.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I doubt that, he wouldn't have got in the fight if that was the case. I think he's perfectly healthy and his head just isn't in it. Plus he's the opposite type of player to work in the system the Sharks are now using.
Okay, but it just makes no sense that he's still a Shark, unless the rest of the league has actually caught on to how poorly he's played. He doesn't fit the system, he can't play defense, and he's the antithesis of what we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I just re-watched the first period and he had zero giveaways in the 1st period. He hardly had the puck at all in the 1st. I don't know what you are remembering. He only had one giveaway all game, in the 3rd, and had 3 takeaways.

He had to play defensively for more of this game than others, but he did very well as he usually does.
Are you kidding me? He had two turnovers on his first two shifts. Unless you're using the stat sheet, and we all know how accurate their real-time stats are.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue something useless, it's just an observation that he didn't play well, especially in comparison to Havlat, Couture, Pavelski, and Marleau. Calm yo'self.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
FeedingFrenzy

My grades on the game-

5v5-B+
4v4-B+
PP-D
PK-A

Didnt mind some of the line switching. Thought Sheppard looked good, moved well with the puck, and he back-checked hard. Clowe is really maddening at this point, can't help but think he will be gone by the 1st of April. Irwin looks good out there. Having Robinson on the bench is DW's greatest acquisition EVER with the exception of JT.Stew,Pickles and Boolee all played well. Man our D is going to be STELLAR when fully healthy

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Phu

Quote:
Are you kidding me? He had two turnovers on his first two shifts. Unless you're using the stat sheet, and we all know how accurate their real-time stats are.
A turnover is not the same thing as a giveaway. His first shift, his pass got tipped out, his second shift boyle's pass hit his stick and hopped over. These things happen every game and he defended both of those subsequent situations fine.

Thornton played as good a game as anyone else on the team, especially considering who he was going up against all game, and was dominant on the puck as usual, particularly in the 3rd and OT.

Last edited by Phu: 02-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
WTFetus

I thought Stuart had his worst game of the season, but he was still good (which shows how great he's been in the previous 6). I don't really fault him though, it's extremely hard to defend against Hall.
That's one of the reasons I'm against keeping Vlasic and Stuart as a pair. While Vlasic and Stuart are good skaters, they aren't great like Burns, and his speed and reach will be important against fast teams.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
hockeyball

One thing to consider is Hertl, he's supposed to be in the NHL next season and keeping that in mind we'd have something like this next season without Clowe/Murray in the mix:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Hertl - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - Sheppard - Wingels
? - Desjardins - Burish

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Braun/Irwin

That doesn't account for re-signing Gomez or Handzus of course. What the Sharks need to get if they trade Clowe is a skilled, fast, bottom 6 player that can fill in top-6. Someone who can push Galiardi and Wingels to play better and earn their spot. I'd be looking for a young player who is struggling on a bad team and looking for a change of scenery. There are bunch, one that comes to mind is Kadri (though I'm not a huge fan). Loktionov is another one, but that would be the ideal situation. We don't really need to replace Clowe long term.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
WTFetus

I still like the idea of trying to get Tikhonov.