HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Im very neutral to this

some ppl in this post say "its for the fans" lol, get real.

If the habs win, is your happiness augmented by two guys low fiving?

Sure, it was fun, but it was a gimmick, not player's emotion. Its one thing to do it spontaneously, another thing to do it after every win. And like someone else mentioned, last year was so bad, after they lose 5 in a row and win 1 game, should they be celebrating that way?

No other team has two guys singled out celebrating, and its because its a team game.

So no reason to be happy or pissed off about it, if that habs win consistently, no one will miss the low five.
So when players on crappy teams score goals, they shouldn't celebrate because the team is awful?

Does this mean that after a win, the team can't go high-five the goalie because it singles Price out?

It's so ridiculous. Let them do what they want. Like I said, the way management has singled PK and made him look like a fool is ridiculous and bush league. They've really handled this poorly. Either their creating their own negative discourse around PK so it makes it easier to trade him for the fans or MB and MT are idiots

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Im very neutral to this

some ppl in this post say "its for the fans" lol, get real.

If the habs win, is your happiness augmented by two guys low fiving?

Sure, it was fun, but it was a gimmick, not player's emotion. Its one thing to do it spontaneously, another thing to do it after every win. And like someone else mentioned, last year was so bad, after they lose 5 in a row and win 1 game, should they be celebrating that way?

No other team has two guys singled out celebrating, and its because its a team game.

So no reason to be happy or pissed off about it, if that habs win consistently, no one will miss the low five.
It's not just about the triple low five. A broader argument is being made in this thread that a single win is not worth celebrating. It's cup or bust. I know plenty of people who only start watching during the playoffs. That's not being a fan imo.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
The whole saluting the fans at center ice is a little contrived, and every team does it.
It's not even something the team decided to do: before the red/white game in 24CH, Michel reminds them to do that.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Burke the Legend

it was funny once but then when they did it every game and you had the rds camera guy running after them on the ice to get it covered from 3 inches away it got real stupid. This is a good opportunity to move on.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In fact, you can argue that bringing Reggie Houle into the fold ended up ****ing the organization way more than helping it during his playing days
Well I want people to be informed about this rule. When we played the panthers, Bill Lindsay counter part made reference to it, saying that the Habs success was due to having first crack at Quebec born players, but that is just not true! We had first crack on players who hadn't already sigend a "C form" as they put it.

Found this also: http://www.tmlforum.net/index.php?topic=12816.0;wap2

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
So when players on crappy teams score goals, they shouldn't celebrate because the team is awful?

Does this mean that after a win, the team can't go high-five the goalie because it singles Price out?

It's so ridiculous. Let them do what they want. Like I said, the way management has singled PK and made him look like a fool is ridiculous and bush league. They've really handled this poorly. Either their creating their own negative discourse around PK so it makes it easier to trade him for the fans or MB and MT are idiots
Was PK triple low fiving himself?

Thats the your own opinion. Price was just part of the celebration as well. I dont see how they have created this negative cloud around him? Negotiations are negotiations. Both sides had their stance & all this "negativity" you speak of is media driven, not from management. All they said, is after a win, the team celebrates as a whole and will salute the crowd. You are creating your own conclusions.

And goals are individual, wins are not. I hope i dont have to explain this to you.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
skule123

Quote:
Like I said, the way management has singled PK and made him look like a fool is ridiculous and bush league. They've really handled this poorly. Either their creating their own negative discourse around PK so it makes it easier to trade him for the fans or MB and MT are idiots
For all the talk of team concept, someone has to speak up for PK and fight the momentum to show that they are, in fact, a unit that supports everyone within it. Good faith has to be mutual, and PK has handled his lot like a pro since signing.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
katatoniak

No Kiwi dance ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
rafal majka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I think this is dumb by Therrien. It was a funny little ritual and no players from other teams ever complained about it so why bother removing it?
Subban's gotta learn how to play and celebrate the "white" way. (Pangism)

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Guys, it's not a big deal. Calm down. Therrien doesn't want attention to be focused on individual players anymore. It's all about the team now.

02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I know this, but the point is the Canadiens did have ways of personally developing local talent that isn't really possible in the modern context - in the 60's they basically pioneered the farm system, and while other teams copied this, the Habs and the Leafs had an advantage of having most of the leagues talent at the time in their own backyards giving them a head start in finding talent to sign, and in the early 70s, when the draft was still somewhat underrated, the Habs were ahead of the curve in scouting. There's some responses in that thread about how the Habs did have an advantage that I have to agree with.

There was nothing unfair about it at all, but much like the Red Wings got a head start in European scouting to build their 90's successes, it's not really viable in the modern NHL.
See this is where I get lost. You say the Habs and Leafs had the advantage, but what advantage did the leafs have not winning since 67?

You seem to understand that the advantage is there simply due to numbers and potentially competition. Most people think Lafleur was drafted with one of these picks. A lot of people are under the impression that our success is DUE to this. Our success was due to having great management, this was maybe a minor boost. I don't think that the habs lose any cups if they never had this rule.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

from:http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...nd-carey-price

Sports are fun. Athletes are in the entertainment business. Do we really want a bunch of emotionless robots out there?

And is that celebration really so bad that the coach needs to put a stop to it? No. It's not.

The NHL needs more personalities like P.K. Subban (and Edmonton's Nail Yakupov). Not fewer.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DenverHabsFan

Between not having a real enforcer and those new "humbling" rules, this is what victory will look like now:

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Guys, it's not a big deal. Calm down. Therrien doesn't want attention to be focused on individual players anymore. It's all about the team now.
exactly.

fans just wanna create their own controversy about non-factors.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rafal majka

Quote:
Was PK triple low fiving himself?

Price was just part of the celebration as well.
Price is not the problem here, it's all on Subban. He had the unmitigated audacity to want money and miss games because of it.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Agreed...Therrien has been consistant on his 'team first' approach so this is just another way of showing it.

I just resent the fact the media, obviously, had to bring the topic up to make something so mundane, a story.

But I guess it's their job..

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
it was funny once but then when they did it every game and you had the rds camera guy running after them on the ice to get it covered from 3 inches away it got real stupid. This is a good opportunity to move on.
it would of been a good oportunity, until they decided to make it public. What they did is the opposite. Considering i doubt many people have even thought about it until now (me).

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Gotta feel bad for Subban

I really don't think he is a bad teammate, or bad locker room guy. I just think some there is some sort of envy from the other guys in the locker room, not sure if that is the right word, but like it must be annoying for the other players to be asked questions about Subban all the time, even though its not really Subban fault.

I mean the fans were chanting his name during his first game, how is that his fault.

I really blame the media, they just make things bigger than it is, specially with Subban.

I really don't think the guys have an issue with him, but issue when they gotta talk about him all the time.

I don't understand the point of MT doing this, but if he told Subban maybe to try to stay out of the lime light a little I would understand, but like Gill said, stop trying to fix the guy personality. If he can play he can play. JM IMO handled him perfectly, when he starting getting lousy and making the same mistakes over and over again, he sat him, but JM played him, almost 30M a game during the playoffs and he let him do his thing.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
For all the talk of team concept, someone has to speak up for PK and fight the momentum to show that they are, in fact, a unit that supports everyone within it. Good faith has to be mutual, and PK has handled his lot like a pro since signing.
Yup. I can't stand this discourse coming from the team itself that it needs to "fix" PK. All they have done is single him out since they've been here with "I want PK to be a better person", "We wanted PK to sign this contract to put the team first" etc etc. All it does is give the media a story to run with that PK isn't a team player. And like you pointed out, for all this team talk, no one has come out and defended PK, instead everyone continues singling him out. Either they are stupid or they are just creating their own narrative that PK isn't a team player so they can justify trading him.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Am I the only one that don't give a &?%$?

Might even be Subban and Price that didn't want to do it anymore.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
See this is where I get lost. You say the Habs and Leafs had the advantage, but what advantage did the leafs have not winning since 67?

You seem to understand that the advantage is there simply due to numbers and potentially competition. Most people think Lafleur was drafted with one of these picks. A lot of people are under the impression that our success is DUE to this. Our success was due to having great management, this was maybe a minor boost. I don't think that the habs lose any cups if they never had this rule.
Like I said, it was all about intelligent management, and that's why attempts to cheapen our success are undeserved, but at the same time it is true that we can't replicate the 70s Habs the way I always hear calls for.

The difference between the Habs and the Leafs after 67 is that the Habs were smart enough to adapt, the Leafs were not.

But a lot of what made the Habs ahead of the curve in the 70's just isn't possible today. Teams couldn't afford to have a legion of around the clock, highly paid scouts everywhere in the world the way they do today, and technology wasn't the same. So geography still mattered in the 70s, giving us an advantage when it comes to Quebec. Like I said, a foundation of the Habs 70's dynasty was actually closer to the Red Wings of the 90s and their European scouting than it was to some unfair rule.

So yes, when other fan bases try to downplay the Canadiens success with myths like that, it's not even worth responding to. But to say the Habs had no historical advantage when it comes to Quebec based players isn't true either.

Pretty much every all time great team had something to push them over the edge that can't be replicated. The Leafs and Habs of the original 6 era had talent pools in their backyards. The Habs of the 70's pioneered scouting and development. The Isles and Oilers in the 80's were expansion teams that sucked long enough to build through the draft. The Red Wings of the 90's were the first to realize how to best use underscouted European talent, and to bring Soviet style puck possession to North American ice. The Avs of the 90's inherited a tank-built Quebec powerhouse, the Devils of the 90's brought back the trap the 70's Habs invented, and so on.

Last edited by Et le But: 02-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Am I the only one that don't give a &?%$?

Might even be Subban and Price that didn't want to do it anymore.
that would have been best, now we have Daddy Therrien and his immature kids who need to be thought a lesson.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Now time to put an end to the fan salute at the end games...seems so phony

Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Agreed...Therrien has been consistant on his 'team first' approach so this is just another way of showing it.

I just resent the fact the media, obviously, had to bring the topic up to make something so mundane, a story.

But I guess it's their job..
But his consistent team approach has given off the impression that PK isn't a team player when he gets constantly singled out by management. This gives the media a story to run with and cause chaos around the team. It's just stupid.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
But his consistent team approach has given off the impression that PK isn't a team player when he gets constantly singled out by management. This gives the media a story to run with and cause chaos around the team. It's just stupid.
Partly agreed...and I do think the organization, from management, coaching staff and the players, have done a poor job of supporting Subban in all of this.

But at the same time, most of it is media-driven...and I think behind the scenes, Subban knows his teamates have his back. There are just certain things that he does, that I don't personally think are done with bad intention, but some of those things take away from the team approach.

And I can understand what Therrien is trying to do...