HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Shawn Thornton Thread: Update: Out 7-10 days (Concussion) See post #125

Old
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Just so I'm clear....

A guy that has been an absolute warrior for this team gets his ass kicked by a chump that he really had no business fighting, is out for 7 - 10 days, and the conversation is that he can't do his job anymore and needs to be replaced? Yikes.

He got his ass kicked. It was embarrasing how badly, but poop happens. Good on him for stepping up and doing his job even when he had to know he had zero chance. How many guys in the league COULD have handled Scott last night?

Yea, he's getting up there in age and likely doesn't have much left in the tank. I understand the general premise of the OP, just poorly timed IMO.
For me it was always about giving him help..14th forward you could plug in a dozen or so games a year...take some of the pressure off...

He's out 7-10 days, and that's just until he can maybe start skating again...It would be unfair of anyone to expect him to pick up his fight game before next September.

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
bp13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Actually, it's more what it does for the rest of the team IMO. If they feel like they have more room to operate, and not have to worry about dirty work, maybe mentally they are sharper? I don't know, I don't play the game, but those who do have always said they play better with a goon at the end of the bench that has their backs.
Sure it helps to know you aren't likely to have liberties taken against you, but we're not talking about two relatively even teams looking for slight edges. It might be good for Buffalo as a team, but the Bruins don't need to respond to it with a roster move. Buffalo isn't a threat. They're a decent team with a little more backbone than they had, but they're not in the same league as Boston and Boston would be making a mistake dressing a lesser player on any night in the name of more ably fighting an absolute stiff of a hockey player.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I agree with you; as I said I'd prefer they handle the John Scott's of the world the same way they handled Laraque. However, I'm not opposed to the idea if the front office feels it needs to be addressed.
In the short term, I see no downside to a waiver claim for Cam Janssen. He can plug into that slot on the 4th line while Thornton recovers.
I don't get why we wouldn't be better off dressing someone who could actually play hockey, like maybe Skinner. Do we need more guys who can fight? McQuaid, Lucic, Campbell, Ference, Chara, Horton, etc can all fight if needed. I'd rather fill that open spot with someone who can play, and Janssen can not.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Kate08

Quote:
For me it was always about giving him help..14th forward you could plug in a dozen or so games a year...take some of the pressure off...

He's out 7-10 days, and that's just until he can maybe start skating again...It would be unfair of anyone to expect him to pick up his fight game before next September.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to bring in help. I'm not saying that there is. And I don't expect him to step on the ice in a week and be back to himself.

It's a fine conversation to have, a valid one. I just think it would have more teeth if it wasn't in the wake of what happened last night. That's all.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Wrong. I have been lobbying for help for #22 for three years now... Didn't think it was fair he had to fight all the heavies, all the time 20+ times a year. Takes its toll.
Would Buffalo have dressed Scott if Thornton was not dressed? If the answer is yes then Chara and the rest must be forbidden from fighting him.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but IMO better time would be when it doesn't seem as knee-jerk to him getting his teeth handed to him by a beast of a human. John Scott is not the average profile of a fighter in this league. I don't think it's fair to point to this fight as proof that it's time to move on from him. I'm not even saying I disagree with the premise, dude's ancient in hockey years and even more so for the role he fills.
It's time to "move on from him" only in that it's less realistic to expect Thornton to be the main heavyweight for the team; he's undersized to begin with, isn't as young as most of them, and now has a concussion to recover from. I don't think many people are saying to force him into retirement or anything similar to that ... just that it's time to add another piece to take some of the physical responsibilities off his plate.

I'll re-post something that Colt included in the original post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I'd really like to pick up Matt Kassian (6'5 -240pds) for cheap and carry him as a spare forward mentoring under Thornton for the next year. If he doesn't turn out then you likely didn't give up much in the first place. He is one of the nicest guys you will meet in all of pro hockey and is an excellent, clean and devastating hitter as well. About a decade younger than Thornton, he has a lot of life left in him.
Adding a depth forward to only play when it's a divisional game or a game that's more likely to erupt, while still keeping Thornton as the day in/day out 4th line energy guy, is a sensible decision, IMHO. The team is deep enough to play a true "goon" a few times a season, when needed, and still be able to win most match-ups.

the overrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I don't get why we wouldn't be better off dressing someone who could actually play hockey, like maybe Skinner. Do we need more guys who can fight? McQuaid, Lucic, Campbell, Ference, Chara, Horton, etc can all fight if needed. I'd rather fill that open spot with someone who can play, and Janssen can not.
Thornton may be the only heavyweight that dresses 80 times.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Would Buffalo have dressed Scott if Thornton was not dressed? If the answer is yes then Chara and the rest must be forbidden from fighting him.
Scott has been dressed for every single game since McCormick is injured. Otherwise he'd be dressed when needed.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Sure it helps to know you aren't likely to have liberties taken against you, but we're not talking about two relatively even teams looking for slight edges. It might be good for Buffalo as a team, but the Bruins don't need to respond to it with a roster move. Buffalo isn't a threat. They're a decent team with a little more backbone than they had, but they're not in the same league as Boston and Boston would be making a mistake dressing a lesser player on any night in the name of more ably fighting an absolute stiff of a hockey player.
Here are your 12-14 forward options .... Bourque, Pandolfo, MacDermid... We are not talking about sitting Thornton or Campbell for a bigger, meaner guy. Would be one of these three. Not exactly the French Connection.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Scott has been dressed for every single game since McCormick is injured. Otherwise he'd be dressed when needed.
Thornton's been dressed for full schedules 3 straight years.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
RetiredWBC8

I'm really puzzled now that our enforcer got knocked out of action people seem to have the turn the other cheek, or ignore the opposition. This team was built to be a rough and tumble, ring the bell type of squad. To dictate. What happened?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Just so I'm clear....

A guy that has been an absolute warrior for this team gets his ass kicked by a chump that he really had no business fighting, is out for 7 - 10 days, and the conversation is that he can't do his job anymore and needs to be replaced? Yikes.

He got his ass kicked. It was embarrasing how badly, but poop happens. Good on him for stepping up and doing his job even when he had to know he had zero chance. How many guys in the league COULD have handled Scott last night?

Yea, he's getting up there in age and likely doesn't have much left in the tank. I understand the general premise of the OP, just poorly timed IMO.
Not when the guy has that much of an advantage. I just feel bad Thornton is hurt. I remember when we got Thornton. Before that we had to watch the B's get pushed all over the ice, ironically enough, like Mair almost taking Krejci's career in his first game w/ a head shot.

I can also remember a few years ago when Axelsson and Ward were gone, and there was a void of "vocal" leaders in the locker room. Thorty was apparently one of those who stepped up.

As far as those saying he's done, I have enough respect for Thornton and what he does to let him decide that for himself. Don't we owe him that? As far as him taking on Scott; Thornton knows that's not Chara or Looch's job, he knows it's his. I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way.

What bothered me more was the piece of **** of a game the B's threw up after it was tied.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Thornton's been dressed for full schedules 3 straight years.
It would have been a 4th straight had the Bruins dressed a heavyweight to take Scott. Instead he will be absent for a while.

Old
BNHL

Quote:
I'm really puzzled now that our enforcer got knocked out of action people seem to have the turn the other cheek, or ignore the opposition. This team was built to be a rough and tumble, ring the bell type of squad. To dictate. What happened?
Not a fan of the Orrs,Scotts,McGrattans. I would nullify them by refusing to dress Thornton and directing the rest that they were off limits. I love tough hockey but that fight last night is needless rubbish.

Old
BNHL

Quote:
It would have been a 4th straight had the Bruins dressed a heavyweight to take Scott. Instead he will be absent for a while.
Do you see the point here?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Do you see the point here?
he point is that Thornton took a career-threatening beatdown so Lucic wouldn't have to take care of Scott.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
BNHL

Quote:
he point is that Thornton took a career-threatening beatdown so Lucic wouldn't have to take care of Scott.
No.First off they all get concussed and they virtually all return. Bruins may have the only "goon" that is a regular in the lineup. Lucic does not have to take the beating,remember Laraque. It's organizational,coaching. Refuse to fight the guy,put it on the coach,and the guy is nulled

Old
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

I don't give a damn about free speech on this forum. There's stuff you can't say here without getting the hammer for it.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Up until it was out of reach, when did the score dictate it would be ok losing Chara or Looch for 5 mins going after Scott? Not seeing it, Whammer.

Will one of those guys try and get payback at some point? I'm sure of it. I'm also pretty sure the Scott thing is the last thing on CJ's priority list.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Up until it was out of reach, when did the score dictate it would be ok losing Chara or Looch for 5 mins going after Scott? Not seeing it, Whammer.

Will one of those guys try and get payback at some point? I'm sure of it. I'm also pretty sure the Scott thing is the last thing on CJ's priority list.
No, I mean going forward. I didn't expect much after that last night...

Old
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
RussellmaniaKW

I know plenty of chumps on this board will be crying for revenge, but IMO the best thing the Bruins can do is beat Buffalo on the scoreboard the rest of the year and help them miss the playoffs.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Bruins main concern right now should be tightening up the turnovers and defense, which is what cost them the game last night. If there was another tough guy like Thornton out there who could play, I'd be all for picking him up. The thing is though, guys like that aren't going to be on waivers, because they are valuable. Janssen (regardless of the other nonsense) is a garbage player, that's why he's on waivers.

Compare:
Thornton 450GP 30G 43A 73PTS 772PIM

Janssen 308GP 3G 8A 11PTS 750PIM

Last edited by TP: 02-01-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: mod
NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
No.First off they all get concussed and they virtually all return. Bruins may have the only "goon" that is a regular in the lineup. Lucic does not have to take the beating,remember Laraque. It's organizational,coaching. Refuse to fight the guy,put it on the coach,and the guy is nulled
How many 30+ yr old fighters return from such KO's and debilitating concussions like that ? I'm still waiting for the return of Ivanans in the NHL after watching him get dropped in similar fashion by Macintyre.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Down the line Anthony Camara? He is probably too small and talented

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Neely08

Quote:
No, I mean going forward. I didn't expect much after that last night...
That's a fair question then.

**** it, get Orr.