HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers youth lead the way

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
  #1
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,866
vCash: 500
Oilers youth lead the way

Our future looks pretty dam good, assuming we can keep the team together. I know I'm not saying anything that isn't already known, but after looking at our team scoring stats today I realized *just* how much we are depending on exceptionally young players to lead the way. The great part is that they ARE leading the way.

Here is what our leading scorers list looks like this morning:

Hall - 7gp, 2g, 7a, 9p, 21 years old
Gagner - 7gp, 3g, 5a, 8p, 23 years old
Eberle - 7gp, 3g, 4a, 7p, 22 years old
Yakupov - 7gp, 4g, 1a, 5p, 19 years old (and a rookie)
Schultz - 7gp, 2g, 3a, 5p, 22 years old (and a rookie)
RNH - 7gp, 0g, 5a, 5p, 19 years old

That is 6 players who are almost all averaging 1 PPG, with an average age of 21 years old and 2 raw rookies. The rookies are very likely to become much better players and 1 of the group (RNH) has not been playing up to his standards. Even if you accept the idea that Hall, Eberle and Gagner won't get any better (which I don't believe for a second), the group as a whole should improve drastically in the coming 1-2 years.

Again, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said already, but this really is remarkable. I can't personally remember the last time that a team was being led by a group of players this young. Not in recent history anyhow.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  #2
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Our future looks pretty dam good, assuming we can keep the team together. I know I'm not saying anything that isn't already known, but after looking at our team scoring stats today I realized *just* how much we are depending on exceptionally young players to lead the way. The great part is that they ARE leading the way.

Here is what our leading scorers list looks like this morning:

Hall - 7gp, 2g, 7a, 9p, 21 years old
Gagner - 7gp, 3g, 5a, 8p, 23 years old
Eberle - 7gp, 3g, 4a, 7p, 22 years old
Yakupov - 7gp, 4g, 1a, 5p, 19 years old (and a rookie)
Schultz - 7gp, 2g, 3a, 5p, 22 years old (and a rookie)
RNH - 7gp, 0g, 5a, 5p, 19 years old

That is 6 players who are almost all averaging 1 PPG, with an average age of 21 years old and 2 raw rookies. The rookies are very likely to become much better players and 1 of the group (RNH) has not been playing up to his standards. Even if you accept the idea that Hall, Eberle and Gagner won't get any better (which I don't believe for a second), the group as a whole should improve drastically in the coming 1-2 years.

Again, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said already, but this really is remarkable. I can't personally remember the last time that a team was being led by a group of players this young. Not in recent history anyhow.
Best part is reading the GDT mentioning how the first line is "struggling" yet they are producing like crazy

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  #3
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Stupid Hopkins is struggling.

Snake bit son of a

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
  #4
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Best part is reading the GDT mentioning how the first line is "struggling" yet they are producing like crazy
.....and how good could the PP be when Nuge hits top form again. Scary.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
  #5
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 500
I love that Krueger has been playing them in all situations. Hall was great last night in the final minutes.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  #6
kdiddy
Registered User
 
kdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
.....and how good could the PP be when Nuge hits top form again. Scary.
Exactly. This team with Nuge playing like last year will be very scary!

kdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
  #7
Dabomb
Registered User
 
Dabomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,794
vCash: 500
Looking forward to seeing Klefbomb as a part of our great young group moving into the future too. I have very high hopes for him.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  #8
Hall2Nuge2Ebs
Registered User
 
Hall2Nuge2Ebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 500
It's a treat to watch this young talent. And I see people are worried about the nuge. Sure he might be snake bitten as far as goals are concerned but he made a couple of beauty passes last night, specifically the one on Hall's goal. He is also a great backchecker. I'm not worried about him one bit

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
  #9
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,306
vCash: 50
If Nuge plays excellent D then the offense will come. Not worried about him in the slightest.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
  #10
ScrillaVilla
Registered User
 
ScrillaVilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kamloops, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Gotta love the way the top line cycled the puck last night, especially considering they were doing it mostly against the Thornton line. That's the kind of zone pressure I haven't seen for awhile from this team.

ScrillaVilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
  #11
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
The scary thing is none of them with the exception of maybe Gagner and Schultz have even hit their stride. There's still a hand full of plays every game where Eberle or Yakupov will pass I a higher percentage play to make a pass, I don't think these guys are at 80% yet, but the point totals and production are still there nonetheless.

On top of that, credit to Ryan Smyth who seems to have found his game on this road trip.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
  #12
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Looking forward to seeing Klefbomb as a part of our great young group moving into the future too. I have very high hopes for him.
Hartikainen and Paajarvi would also be good complimentary players for us going forward.. Power forwards take a bit longer so Harti has the potential to possibly become a core player going forward.

Dubey might just work out as well.

Should be a fun team to watch the next 5 years or so.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
  #13
SaskOilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I love that Krueger has been playing them in all situations. Hall was great last night in the final minutes.
Yep, Hall was a beast last night. He played a very solid defensive game.

SaskOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  #14
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,598
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Looking forward to seeing Klefbomb as a part of our great young group moving into the future too. I have very high hopes for him.
Klefobom has lost a significant amount of time these last few years due to injury and we've seen countless promising prospects amount to very little for for that very reason. These are critical development years, and I just hope the time missed doesn't hurt him too much. I'm definitely not willing to pencil him into our NHL lineup in the next year or two quite yet.

But from all accounts, he was outstanding before his injury and he was starting to look like he could play in this league already.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  #15
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,877
vCash: 500
More importantly, Horcoff is finally the third C in TOI/G, which also includes Belanger taking more SHFO and more SHTOI/G than him. Finally some proper coaching, Potter/Fistric thing notwithstanding....

But we are definitely seeing improvement, and it is fun to watch.

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  #16
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
 
Diamondillium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 50
Out of all of this, the one I am most surprised and impressed by is Gagner. He's looked great so far this season, and hopefully this could finally be the season he comes to potential.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
  #17
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Out of all of this, the one I am most surprised and impressed by is Gagner. He's looked great so far this season, and hopefully this could finally be the season he comes to potential.
He was good last season. No one noticed the jump he made defensively last year, he seemed to always be the first one back.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
  #18
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
More importantly, Horcoff is finally the third C in TOI/G, which also includes Belanger taking more SHFO and more SHTOI/G than him. Finally some proper coaching, Potter/Fistric thing notwithstanding....

But we are definitely seeing improvement, and it is fun to watch.
I think Kruger is doing this on purpose to make it seem like he has flaws.. The guy is actually a god!!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
  #19
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
 
Diamondillium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
He was good last season. No one noticed the jump he made defensively last year, he seemed to always be the first one back.
Could be true, I admittedly haven't been a fan long enough to notice defensive contributions too much yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I think Kruger is doing this on purpose to make it seem like he has flaws.. The guy is actually a god!!
So what you're saying is the moment people write him off as bad, he will immediately return to Voldemort-killing-badass form and become the best Defenseman in the league?

That plan is so crazy! And it just might work!

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
  #20
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,884
vCash: 500
My concern:

The kids are great and the first line just gets better and better every game. Schultz is getting out muscled but that will change.

But outside the first line things are grim. We need support players badly. Crash and bangers and some Jones-type energy players.

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
Smid 1pts -3 (Not bad for a stay at home d-man)
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

The +/- is to contrast our top line including J. Schultz, who are averaging +2 to +4.
We're not winning **** until our supporting cast is providing some good secondary support either by creating offensive zone faceoffs, generating powerplays, or scoring some dirty goals.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
  #21
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
My concern:

The kids are great and the first line just gets better and better every game. Schultz is getting out muscled but that will change.

But outside the first line things are grim. We need support players badly. Crash and bangers and some Jones-type energy players.

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
Smid 1pts -3 (Not bad for a stay at home d-man)
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

The +/- is to contrast our top line including J. Schultz, who are averaging +2 to +4.
We're not winning **** until our supporting cast is providing some good secondary support either by creating offensive zone faceoffs, generating powerplays, or scoring some dirty goals.
most teams have a lot of scoring trouble beyond their top-6, it's not like we're unusual in that regard at all... i agree that getting points from hemsky, smyth and such would be great, but i don't know how likely it is to happen

i agree that getting jones back in the lineup will be a good shot in the arm... he's a good 3rd line energy player, and would create some battles for playing time on the bottom 6... getting eager back would be nice as well to be honest

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
  #22
blueracer17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If Nuge plays excellent D then the offense will come. Not worried about him in the slightest.
The fact that Nuge has upped his defensive prowess this year shows that he is engaged in the games and not getting frustrated with his relative lack of offensive output. His cerebral approach to the game shows in his defense and will get him going offensively shortly. I don't think a sophomore slump is going to happen to RNH.

blueracer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
  #23
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
I think as the season progresess more and more players will be taking a run at J.Schultz.. Seem to be the plan of opponents as he keeps piling up big minutes and points.

I liked the fire he brought after getting destroyed behind his own net.. rushed right back in and had 2 great scoring chances..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  #24
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I think as the season progresess more and more players will be taking a run at J.Schultz.. Seem to be the plan of opponents as he keeps piling up big minutes and points.

I liked the fire he brought after getting destroyed behind his own net.. rushed right back in and had 2 great scoring chances..
Ya its getting to the point I want Hordichuk to just go pummel someone and see if it deters anyone. Guys are really targeting Schultz and trying to run him through the boards

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
  #25
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
My concern:

The kids are great and the first line just gets better and better every game. Schultz is getting out muscled but that will change.

But outside the first line things are grim. We need support players badly. Crash and bangers and some Jones-type energy players.

Hemsky 4pts -4
Whitney 3pts -3
Smid 1pts -3 (Not bad for a stay at home d-man)
MPS 0pts -3
Smyth 1pts -1

The +/- is to contrast our top line including J. Schultz, who are averaging +2 to +4.
We're not winning **** until our supporting cast is providing some good secondary support either by creating offensive zone faceoffs, generating powerplays, or scoring some dirty goals.
I would even include the top line into the mix.. We have scored what 7 ES goals in 7GP.. Petrell had one, Horc one, Gagner one .. Eberle sniped 2 home and Hall had one yesterday but there really isnt much production 5on5..

I dont think we have many passengers in the lineup.. Kruger is getting max effort from everyone on the roster.. It is just too bad that guys like Whitney Potter and Smyth dont have much left to offer.

As long as the depth players keep cycling the puck and drawing penalties we dont need them to score goals..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.