HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI] Brian Strait signs 3-year extension ($775k cap hit, one-way)

Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
Just to reiterate, I'm not saying it's not a bad signing or anything. It's just a bit humorous.

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Yup. It's a low-risk, medium/high reward move. Snow is pretty good with contracts, at least when Wang isn't trying to play GM
I love Snow when it comes to contracts. Bargains everywhere.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
I've liked Strait since his days at BU, and was looking forward to him filling the hole left by Scuderi on the Pens blue-line. Unfortunately, Shero didn't see as much value in him and gave him away to a division rival. I think it was a mistake (time will tell how big or small of a mistake it was) but either way, congrats to Brian and the Isles. This move might not get a lot of fanfare but I think the Isles D just got a little tougher to play against over the next 3 years. Even if he only amounts to a 6th defenseman, I think he's going to be a good one.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
Just to reiterate, I'm not saying it's not a bad signing or anything. It's just a bit humorous.
It is funny how fast he went from waiver claim to getting an extension. It sort of reminds me of two people meeting, immediately becoming crazy about each other and they jump into marriage after only dating for a couple of weeks.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Islander Prophet

this is the deal of the year so fun, mark my words!

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:55 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

This really handicaps the Isles. Three years from now they won't have any cap room because of this monster deal.

As a Pens fan this is very frustrating. We let this guy go for Ben Lovejoy. I don't think any one claims Lovejoy. To everyone else but Bylsma he a AHL depth guy.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:26 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
It is funny how fast he went from waiver claim to getting an extension. It sort of reminds me of two people meeting, immediately becoming crazy about each other and they jump into marriage after only dating for a couple of weeks.
Isles head coach and his assistant ( who coached in the AHL last season), have been doing a lot of AHL scouting during the lockout. Looking for possible waiver pickups. I doubt Strait's play/potential was some big surprise for the Isles.

The same for Hickey. Sound Tigers current head coach, Pellerin, was a coach for the Kings AHL affiliate for 5 yrs. When Hickey was claimed on waivers, Hickey told the press that he was gonna call Pellerin and thank him for putting in a good word for him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
WarriorofTime

I remember Penguins fans saying he was the next Scuderi but that was probably just fans hyping up a low upside prospect.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:17 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post

John Tavares at 5.5M/year until 2018.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Corey Perry*

Never heard of him.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:59 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
That's all well and good but at some point when are you going to actually make a move to spend cap and bring in players to push the team into the playoffs? (I am aware the Isles are off to a strong start, just speaking generally) Last I checked, "cap space" had no Goals, Assists, Saves, Hits, or Blocked Shots last year.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
That's all well and good but at some point when are you going to actually make a move to spend cap and bring in players to push the team into the playoffs? (I am aware the Isles are off to a strong start, just speaking generally) Last I checked, "cap space" had no Goals, Assists, Saves, Hits, or Blocked Shots last year.
So you're saying Cap Space has a goals against average of 0.00 and a save percentage of 1.000! Cap Space for Vezina

Solid signing for the Isles.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So you're saying Cap Space has a goals against average of 0.00 and a save percentage of 1.000! Cap Space for Vezina
Gotta make a Save to have a perfect save percentage

Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:
Ask Wang when he wants to spend to the cap, not me. In the mean time, it's vital to have bargain contracts when your team is the lowest spending team.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
You are right, but I think moves like that come after this season. This season the Isles are competitive for the first time in a while, having scoring and chemistry beyond JT+Moulson, and with Brian Strait, a halfway decent top-4. All of their prospects are lighting up their respective leagues. After this season, the time is perfect to make such moves.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:45 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
You are right, but I think moves like that come after this season. This season the Isles are competitive for the first time in a while, having scoring and chemistry beyond JT+Moulson, and with Brian Strait, a halfway decent top-4. All of their prospects are lighting up their respective leagues. After this season, the time is perfect to make such moves.
The biggest reason the Isles weren't bringing in good FA talent is because of the arena situation. No one wanted to play here, and Wang was losing money and didn't want to spend. Now that the arena situation is taken care of, Wang should be letting Snow spend money and players may like the idea of playing in a top class new facility in a couple years.

And yes, if the Isles can squeak into the playoffs or at least make a strong push all the way to the end, that will make a huge difference. Seems to be a lot of talent within the organization for once, and the prospects are being developed properly this year.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:59 AM
kasper11

Quote:
It's not just about cap space. The Isles have an owner who won't spend more than the minimum, so these bargain deals help even if the Isles are nowhere near the cap.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Strait was scheduled to become a ufa this summer.

He's playing solidly on the 2nd pairing, for 18 mins a game.

Low risk move by the isles.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...york-islanders
Strait is 25, his ELC expired before last summer, he completed three full minor pro seasons with Wilkes-Barre, and he'd only played 12 NHL games before this season. Thanks to the lockout-shortened 48-game season, there was no way he could reach 80 career NHL games this season.

Meaning what exactly? Meaning he was headed to UFA:

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
wej20

Quote:
I remember Penguins fans saying he was the next Scuderi but that was probably just fans hyping up a low upside prospect.
He could be the next Scuderi, he's probably slightly ahead of Scuds at the same age. Scuderi did make a pretty big jump relatively late in his career though.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Love how both Pens and Isles fans know what a good deal this is. And other fans think it's a joke because he was placed on waivers because of the Pens depth on D. Strait is nothing flashy, but he's a very solid defenseman. Smart for the Isles to lock him up right away. I was upset the Pens lost him, but I'm happy he's getting a good opportunity and a contract he deserves.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Love how both Pens and Isles fans know what a good deal this is. And other fans think it's a joke because he was placed on waivers because of the Pens depth on D. Strait is nothing flashy, but he's a very solid defenseman. Smart for the Isles to lock him up right away. I was upset the Pens lost him, but I'm happy he's getting a good opportunity and a contract he deserves.
Agreed.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:35 AM
IslesNorway

This might well be another gem signing by Snow as they've clearly seen his potential early. Strait isn't the type of player that you notice right away but plays a quiet, steady game. Loved how he went on a one man rush in OT against the Devils that ultimately lead to them taking a penalty and the Isles winning!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Yeah...and?

Scuderi wasn't in the NHL yet when he was Strait's age and he was 28 before he started playing like a legitimate NHL defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
No kidding.

Strait has always been the kind of guy that plays off the radar and he'll continue to be that guy. 3 years at that price for a guy who's already a legitimate third pairing guy is no risk.

Still pisses me off we kept Lovejoy over him...but as I keep saying, we'd have lost him at the end of the season anyway.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Jester9881

He's been a better defenseman than Mark Streit so far... steady in his own zone, just flat out doesn't make mistakes back there. Granted, he doesn't bring anything offensively..... but he's making $700K.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:31 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Glad to hear that Strait is doing well.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote