HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game 7 Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks 7:30pm PST Orange vs Orange Edition

Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Galiardi - Sheppard - Wingels
Oh God... when was the last time we actually had a real NHL 3rd line?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Haha, I wasn't suggesting that was what I want, just what we have available right now minus free agents. I would fully expect us to resign one of Handzus or Gomez after this season.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Pavs-Wellwood-Taco

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
One thing to consider is Hertl, he's supposed to be in the NHL next season and keeping that in mind we'd have something like this next season without Clowe/Murray in the mix:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Hertl - Couture - Havlat
? - Desjardins - Burish

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Braun/Irwin

That doesn't account for re-signing Gomez or Handzus of course. What the Sharks need to get if they trade Clowe is a skilled, fast, bottom 6 player that can fill in top-6. Someone who can push Galiardi and Wingels to play better and earn their spot. I'd be looking for a young player who is struggling on a bad team and looking for a change of scenery. There are bunch, one that comes to mind is Kadri (though I'm not a huge fan). Loktionov is another one, but that would be the ideal situation. We don't really need to replace Clowe long term.
I don't think it's a good idea to count on a 20 y/o kid to be a full-time top-6 player in his first year in NA, unless we have a really strong third line, which Galiardi-Sheppard-Wingels is not. I agree with you in a sense, though. If DW was sure Hertl was ready to come over next year, it opens a lot of doors for us.

I'm in favor of acquiring Loktionov. I really like him, I think he's really talented and he'd be a strong #3C for us, an offensive soft-minutes type. Doubt LA trades him within the division, though.

As for Kadri, don't look now but he's leading the Leafs in scoring.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
If we let Clowe go, we better get Morrow or someone because having 1 tough guy is going to suck.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Hertl's regular season ends February 26th, I believe. I think his team's in playoff position, but then again I can't read Czech at all. I think he'd be playing International tournaments after that. I don't think he'd do a trial in Worcester, but obviously I'm neither him, his agent, or DW.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
If we let Clowe go, we better get Morrow or someone because having 1 tough guy is going to suck.
We have lots of players who are more than capable of defending each other. Not that they should all be fighting, but Thornton, Stuart, Burns, Burish, Desjardins, and Petrecki if he is around are more than capable of defending themselves. There is almost zero fighting in the playoffs, just a lot of pushing and shoving, and our team is one of the biggest in the league. I'm not concerned about losing Clowe, though he is fun to watch sometimes.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Hertl's regular season ends February 26th, I believe. I think his team's in playoff position, but then again I can't read Czech at all. I think he'd be playing International tournaments after that. I don't think he'd do a trial in Worcester, but obviously I'm neither him, his agent, or DW.
I doubt he'd go to Worcester, but if he was freed up prior to the trade deadline it's possible he'd end up here this season.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
I doubt he'd go to Worcester, but if he was freed up prior to the trade deadline it's possible he'd end up here this season.
I dunno if he's NHL ready right now... He could probably hack it in the bottom-6 (he's a bull of a player with strong defensive instincts), but I wouldn't expect him to step in and score right away.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Alaskanice

Quote:
One thing to consider is Hertl, he's supposed to be in the NHL next season and keeping that in mind we'd have something like this next season without Clowe/Murray in the mix:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Hertl - Couture - Havlat
? - Desjardins - Burish

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Braun/Irwin

That doesn't account for re-signing Gomez or Handzus of course. What the Sharks need to get if they trade Clowe is a skilled, fast, bottom 6 player that can fill in top-6. Someone who can push Galiardi and Wingels to play better and earn their spot. I'd be looking for a young player who is struggling on a bad team and looking for a change of scenery. There are bunch, one that comes to mind is Kadri (though I'm not a huge fan). Loktionov is another one, but that would be the ideal situation. We don't really need to replace Clowe long term.
HB, where did you hear that Hertl is supposed to be here next season??

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Alaskanice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I still like the idea of trying to get Tikhonov.
I've always had that idea of Tikhonov coming "home."

Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
HB, where did you hear that Hertl is supposed to be here next season??
Well the report was that the Sharks tried to convince him to come over this year, but he wanted to play one more year in Europe. So the assumption is that once this season is over, he's fair game.

He is already playing in a men's league, the AHL isn't going to do him any good. When he comes over he'll come straight to the NHL.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Drew Stafford for Ryane Clowe!

I'm tired of seeing Clowe make so many boneheaded plays. Get him out of here.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alaskanice

Didn't Hertl also say he wanted to learn English before coming over?

Old
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Drew Stafford for Ryane Clowe!

I'm tired of seeing Clowe making so many boneheaded plays. Get him out of here.
Don't go to the main boards with that, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Didn't Hertl also say he wanted to learn English before coming over?
Post-draft, the things he said he wanted to work on over the next year were his skating and English, IIRC. Dunno how that's going.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Don't go to the main boards with that, please.

Post-draft, the things he said he wanted to work on over the next year were his skating and English, IIRC. Dunno how that's going.
I'm not.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I'd say something like "Clowe is one of the best power fowards in the league and one of the best fighters". I'd add "It really stings to give up Clowe but I think Stafford is better fit on the 2nd line."

Old
02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

We should go after Carl Hagelin right now. He's rockin' a 1.5 on-ice shooting percentage, but has shown himself to be a strong possession player in tough minutes, as well as having top-6 offensive pop. Speed demon.

Basically, what I'm saying is trade Clowe at this exact moment for Hagelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I'd say something like "Clowe is one of the best power fowards in the league and one of the best fighters". I'd add "It really stings to give up Clowe but I think Stafford is better fit on the 2nd line."
By what I said, I mean don't even make the proposal under any circumstances.

And by that, I mean don't pump up Clowe when everyone and their mother knows you're lying.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Well the report was that the Sharks tried to convince him to come over this year, but he wanted to play one more year in Europe. So the assumption is that once this season is over, he's fair game.

He is already playing in a men's league, the AHL isn't going to do him any good. When he comes over he'll come straight to the NHL.
100% agree. If they do convince him to come over this season I think he could comfortably play with Havlat and Handzus. Otherwise I think he begins next season in the NHL.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
7 games in and we are already working off of assumptions/hoping that Zues is getting re-signed. What a crazy (perhaps premature?) turn of events from the last 12 months.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
We should go after Carl Hagelin right now. He's rockin' a 1.5 on-ice shooting percentage, but has shown himself to be a strong possession player in tough minutes, as well as having top-6 offensive pop. Speed demon.

And by that, I mean don't pump up Clowe when everyone and their mother knows you're lying.
Ya Hagelin would be good, basically just what I was talking about. Don't make a trade for a vet to fill Clowe's spot, trade for a young player on a small contract who will fit with the teams long term needs. We will likely do just as well with or without Clowe, addition by subtraction even.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:

Don't worry I wasn't planning on it.

As for a Clowe-Hagelin swap, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
100% agree. If they do convince him to come over this season I think he could comfortably play with Havlat and Handzus. Otherwise I think he begins next season in the NHL.
Yah, the language thing is not a huge problem and just being here with some fellow countrymen would likely be the easiest and quickest way to learn. Not like he will lack for a translator. I have no idea if he will come over this year, just saying it's technically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
7 games in and we are already working off of assumptions/hoping that Zues is getting re-signed. What a crazy (perhaps premature?) turn of events from the last 12 months.
I don't think anyone is saying re-sign him. People, including myself, are saying if he plays like he has for the rest of the season I would seriously consider it.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
A turnover is not the same thing as a giveaway. His first shift, his pass got tipped out, his second shift boyle's pass hit his stick and hopped over. These things happen every game and he defended both of those subsequent situations fine.

Thornton played as good a game as anyone else on the team, especially considering who he was going up against all game, and was dominant on the puck as usual, particularly in the 3rd and OT.
Ok I finished reviewing the game with an eye on Thornton, just to make sure I hadn't somehow completely misremembered the game. He had exactly one instance of "fighting the puck" where he was unable to control an otherwise well-placed puck. Marleau helped him out and he regained control, and was back to making Thorntonesque plays behind the net.

He had two instances of a puck hopping over his stick because of velocity, once the aforementioned Boyle pass which led to a change of possession, and once on a hard-around by Marleau in OT in which Joe was able to corral the bouncing puck and immediately re-enter the zone to set up a stellar scoring chance.

The rest of the game he handled the puck fine and made his usual effortless passes, including at least 3 blind setups from behind the net to the crease, and 3 or 4 tape to tape through heavy defensive traffic or while being checked. At least 4 of those passes were between his legs.

There were some other players that were fighting the puck and making inaccurate passes, which was keeping possession away from the Sharks and thus the puck away from Joe. Joe himself however was only responsible for one giveaway, though it was a crazy one, the OT one where the player he was passing to went off on a change, leaving petrell to have a clear slapper from the blue line.

Phu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
There is no way Zeus should be re-siged. Even a moron like DW should know that. Of course, should is the operating word...

But I do think that having Havlat will make Hertl's transition easier. I know Havlat's a soft spoken dude and not the mentor type, but I'd really, really love it if he could take Tomas under his wing.

Quote:
Ya Hagelin would be good, basically just what I was talking about. Don't make a trade for a vet to fill Clowe's spot, trade for a young player on a small contract who will fit with the teams long term needs. We will likely do just as well with or without Clowe, addition by subtraction even.
I didn't want to be the one to say the bolded, but yeah. I agree. DW would need to jump on Hagelin right now though, before he starts scoring. He'd be a great fit here.