HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Meteorology

Old
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
First significant snow accumulations are due for tomorrow and Monday over the province of Quebec as two low pressure systems are tracking NE. One is impacting southern Quebec today with mostly rain for Montreal and snow further north and in elevated terrains. The fun starts sunday night/monday morning with a Colorado low. Precipitations should start in snow and stay in snow north of Montreal. South of Montreal we're expecting snow changing to freezing precip and then rain. Obviously, the St-Lawrence valley could be affected by a prolonged period of freezing rain since it is notorious for funneling cold air from the NE underneath southerly warm air aloft.

What a sucky weather to start the week.
Bah, we'll get lots of snow, some freezing precip and then rain. The snow should all fall during nighttime, making rush hour terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
Loved meteorology as a kid growing up. Every single science project I did in school was weather-related. For a long time, I would only watch the news for the weather segment. Hell, the Weather Channel was my go-to after-school station, especially if something drastic was happening in my area or around the world. My favorite movie still to this day is Twister.

I always wanted to work with extreme weather, become an analyst of some sort. Then, I started doing research and saw all of the advanced math and science it required and I was like "NOOOOOOOOOPE". That stuff isn't my cup of tea.

I'm now a college grad with a journalism degree. Go figure. But I always keep an eye on the weather for old times sake.
That's too bad, it's such and interesting field! I was a bit scared about the advanced math and physics but I managed to pass everything. I found the meteorology courses to be a lot easier than the rest and I was able to go through 3 years of schooling even though half of my courses were making me miserable.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:04 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
It snowed pretty much everywhere in the state today except Milwaukee. Record will be broken in less than an hour unless they get a tenth of an inch which isn't likely to happen.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Always thought weather was interesting. Very predictable yet unpredictable. Anyone majoring in meteorology and related studies wanna tell me more about it, etc.?

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

As a pilot I've spent some time in the soup! I had to take a few meteorology classes in college, and I thought they were all very interesting.

Recently I've just been interested in whatever keeps the ice off my wing.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Always thought weather was interesting. Very predictable yet unpredictable. Anyone majoring in meteorology and related studies wanna tell me more about it, etc.?
At my university, the coursework involves Calculus, Physics and a year of General Chemistry. The stuff you learn in those classes is pretty important for the actual meteorology classes. (We use a lot of vector calculus for studying wind and pressure gradients and we use some fluid principles from physics.) The math and physics is definitely challenging, but all one needs to do is practice a lot and it comes. What I've enjoyed so much is actually learning about what goes in a storm: how does it form? what determines the lifecycle of a storm? what determines the intensity? what determines how violent the rotation is in a supercell (tornado-generating storm)? why do storms suddenly pop out of nowhere? Obviously I'm really interested in tornadoes and severe storms, but there are many other parts of meteorology like climate, forecasting, agricultural meteorology, tropical meteorology etc.

I tell people don't let the math scare you (I was an OK math student, but not spectacular btw) because it's an absolutely captivating field of study.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

So being a good math and science student will definitely help me then? I'm taking BC Calc, AP Physics, and AP Chem in HS (college level courses in HS), so anyone have any idea about exactly what I'll need to take? Headed up to admissions at A&M sometime next year, but any info helps.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Yeah I'm in my first year of university. In for psychology, brain study, etc. Want to maybe switch to some sort of Meteorology because I'm getting better in chemistry, math, etc...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:26 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
So being a good math and science student will definitely help me then? I'm taking BC Calc, AP Physics, and AP Chem in HS (college level courses in HS), so anyone have any idea about exactly what I'll need to take? Headed up to admissions at A&M sometime next year, but any info helps.
I'm no expert on your education system but being good at sciences can only be beneficial. During my undergrad I was an okay physics student and probably terrible at math (still managed to pass my courses) and yet I did good in my atmospheric sciences courses. There are so many approximations in meteorology, it makes the math qualitative. Obviously you need to know how derivatives and stuff behave but you don't do the operations.

The way I learned meteorology I was rarely (or never) asked to derive equations. The professors would give us the derived equations and we would have to use them according to a set of problems. If you every work in an operational forecasting environment it will be the same. Computer models do the math, forecasters analyze, diagnose and forecast by making their own approximations.

Forecasting the weather can be pretty difficult, but so rewarding when you're not wrong.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
I agree with my fellow meteorologist. We use calculus and physics here and there in the core curriculum classes, but not nearly to the extent of a full-blown calculus or physics course.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Tornado that struck Mobile, Alabama this afternoon.

outbreak is still going on.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:49 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

Tornado that struck Mobile, Alabama this afternoon.

outbreak is still going on.
Pretty crazy to say the least.
Quote:
Jim Cantore @JimCantore
SPC with 15 #tornado reports so far today. If it stands it would be most ever on a Christmas Day surpassing the 12 in 1969.
It's also the same system that should leave us possibly more than a foot of snow in the Northeast starting tomorrow until friday.

Probability of getting 8" of snow on Thursday:

Probability of getting 12" of snow on Thursday:

It could by a major snow event over southern Quebec. Many locations got over 50 cm of snow (almost 2 feet) last week. NAM model has us in the 40-60 cm region for this system. It would be insane if Montreal gets that amount of snow.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Montreal is about to beat its all time snowfall record in one day of 43.2 cm. We're at 43cm and the snow isn't done yet. Craziness.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
Loved meteorology as a kid growing up. Every single science project I did in school was weather-related. For a long time, I would only watch the news for the weather segment. Hell, the Weather Channel was my go-to after-school station, especially if something drastic was happening in my area or around the world. My favorite movie still to this day is Twister.
As was I. I was pretty terrible in almost every other kind of science, but when it came to weather I owned it. We had a 7th/8th Grade Science fair (mandatory), and in 7th grade I sort of mailed it in, and did terrible. We had to take questions from teachers and other students and such. I don't even remember what it was on, and I made up the experiment. But 8th grade we were allowed to do meteorology since it was in the unit. That year I got grilled on the subject and my experiment and got the best grade in the class.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Got a gravity wave moving through my neck of the woods as we speak. There was a wind gust in Tuscaloosa AL of 74 mph

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

I love it

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Actually getting excited. Really looking into majoring in Meteorology at A&M, and it just keeps sounding more and more like a perfect fit.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:15 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Had thunderstorms last night and it's been pouring today. High of about 60. Not bad for late January. Everything is going to turn to ice tomorrow when the temperatures are going to falls to the low teens.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Actually getting excited. Really looking into majoring in Meteorology at A&M, and it just keeps sounding more and more like a perfect fit.
Great program to go to. I was a met major but switched my junior year(after doing all of the the physics and math) because the shift work and hours aren't for me. Still weathers a big hobby but best of luck if that's the route you choose! Its definitely a field that you absolutely have to love and have a passion for in order to succeed.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Glad to see I'm not the only one here who loves meteorology!

Now if only we could get some snow...

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one here who loves meteorology!

Now if only we could get some snow...
Most of it disappeared this week

Old
02-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

So I have this to look forward to tonight. lol

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...ar1=1073996416

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Don't look now, but the EURO shows feet upon feet of snow for Boston on Friday, and a good snowstorm for NYC.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
KevFist
is best pony

My area of specialty is Operational Meteorology with an emphasis on situational short-term forecasting. I'd be willing to break down some of the products from the Storm prediction Center mesoanalysis if anyone's interested. I could start a new thread and talk about a product every few days.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
KevFist
is best pony

That is, if anyone's interested in Storm chasing/Short term forecasting.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Boston is going to get absolutely smoked friday/saturday. wow