HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you like to see Ullstrom on the first line?

View Poll Results: Should the Isles try Ullstrom on the first line?
Yes 34 38.64%
No 37 42.05%
Maybe 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Maybe sounds crazy, but when Bailey comes back I wouldn't mind seeing him get a try at RW with JT and Moulson. He'd be out of position, and I'm not a fan of 3 LH shots together, but in some ways JT is not a traditional C and would thrive with someone who can make plays with the puck. Okposo ain't that guy. Bailey could use his playmaking skills to advantage with JT and Moulson, and since JT makes so many plays from the right side anyway, Bailey could rotate into center ice sometimes too. It might not be ideal, but I don't see any ideal options right now.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I honestly think that would be the best situation for Nino to succeed, outside of playing with Tavares. An unproven-inconsistent-inconsistent is better than an inconsistent(Grabner)-proven to not be a 2nd liner(Nielsen)-proven to be a bad top-6 player(Boyes).

Not to mention the line that no one wants to break up is made up of an unknown-a proven 4th liner-and a career AHLer. It makes the idea of Nino-Bailey-Okposo not look so bad.
good idea to break up the nielsen line, only line not to have been scored upon yet. i think its a good option for when we are in trouble, but currently that line is gold.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
No. The first line is the least of our problems right now. Who cares if KO isn't "pulling his own weight"? The line is producing and moving him to the 2nd line could affect the chemistry thus far. Plus Isles fans ALWAYS need a scapegoat-even if it's a 4th liner who really has no big impact in the outcome of games (Hilbert). KO is the current one right now-because let's face it it's not like DP plays enough to remain the scapegoat.

Ullstrom is off to a nice start-but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's been 6 games.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
good idea to break up the nielsen line, only line not to have been scored upon yet. i think its a good option for when we are in trouble, but currently that line is gold.
Read back to my post before that. The lines I listed had those 3 remaining together(I actually wrote Boyes or Joensuu on the right, but now that JJ is out longer it appears Boyes would be the guy).

My idea was to play them as the 3rd line, drop Aucoin and McDonald down to the 4th with Martin(sub Cizikas for McDonald if you want), and use Okposo on the 2nd line with Bailey as the center when he gets back. Bring up Nino and go with Nino on the 1st and Ullstrom on the 2nd, or vice versa.

If you don't like the sound of Nielsen-Grabner playing on the 3rd line, you can look at it as a 2A and 2B situation. Both lines get equal minutes(maybe even more time for Nielsen's line), except one is used in more offensive situations while the other is used in more defensive situations.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:12 AM
luki here

Quote:
Read back to my post before that. The lines I listed had those 3 remaining together(I actually wrote Boyes or Joensuu on the right, but now that JJ is out longer it appears Boyes would be the guy).

My idea was to play them as the 3rd line, drop Aucoin and McDonald down to the 4th with Martin(sub Cizikas for McDonald if you want), and use Okposo on the 2nd line with Bailey as the center when he gets back. Bring up Nino and go with Nino on the 1st and Ullstrom on the 2nd, or vice versa.

If you don't like the sound of Nielsen-Grabner playing on the 3rd line, you can look at it as a 2A and 2B situation. Both lines get equal minutes(maybe even more time for Nielsen's line), except one is used in more offensive situations while the other is used in more defensive situations.
worth a shot if bailey and okposo are on their game. Otherwise i wouldnt drop nino in all this. But if they light it up a bit, a very nice looking lineup. Cheers for the gentle correction, is well appreciated!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Boy Nielsen looks awesome tonight on the Powerplay........ Where's the Crow, I'm starving!
Haha, was just coming here to see if you had responded so I could bring up tonight's game. I can understand your reservations on Nielsen but really if you focus on him game in and game out you will see he is NECESSARY on that first PP unit. You have guys that can't skate that well but can bury the puck and you can't rely on JT to carry the whole load. Nielsen is perfect for his great vision, quick puck movement, and all round stoic demeanor with the puck. We are watching a future Adam Oates I promise you.

I won't make you eat crow...but I will change your mind

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Islander Prophet

I feel like Bailey might be a good fit when he is back and ready

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
WHY? He's scoring on the third line. Why mess with success? If the second and third line are contributing anything at all that's a positive. You know JT will start scoring sooner or later (and he has). We need secondary scoring real bad, and thus far we have been getting it. Let's let it be.
This. Okposo will get going. Hes a slow starter. The problem with the isles has consistently been secondary scoring. Were doing that right now and its paid off. They say don't mess with a good thing right?

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I feel like Bailey might be a good fit when he is back and ready

I was thinking this as well. And I would really like KO on the 3rd line with Ullstrom and Acouin. That could be a good hustle line with some good skill.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
JetsMetsIsles

I dont understand you guys. Our offense is second in goals scored. Lets change all the lines up!!!

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

I voted 'maybe.'

If Ullström keeps working his tail off and Okposo keeps whiffing, it absolutely warrants a look. It's not all about having a skillset, it's about utilizing it.

Currently Okie's playing like he should be on a 3rd line and Ullström is playing like there's a fire under his ass. I think #41 would give JT more space & time - he may not have 7th overall pick skill as #21 does, but his size, skating and effort could give "Die Wünderkind" a LOT more to work with as it's easier to defend JT when KO's still kind of lost in the sauce, as compared to Ullström bearing down on the RW side.

I'd give it 5 more games so we have a 12 game sample to go from. If our 'Swedish Meatball' is still playing like he has more 'KO' than KO, play the hot hand and swap #1-RW & #3-RW. It couldn't hurt to test Ullström's ceiling and light a fire under KO's ass at the same time.

Last edited by LaddyBuck: 02-01-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo.
LaddyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I dont understand you guys. Our offense is second in goals scored. Lets change all the lines up!!!
Areas can always be improved. This team is off to a good start but is far from perfect. If making a couple of tweaks could give us a better chance of having sustained success, you wouldn't give it a try?

Either way, it's basically making one swap. Ullstrom-Okposo.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Areas can always be improved. This team is off to a good start but is far from perfect. If making a couple of tweaks could give us a better chance of having sustained success, you wouldn't give it a try?

Either way, it's basically making one swap. Ullstrom-Okposo.
The point is if it aint broke don't fix it. Ullstrom is having his first success as an NHL player and you want to take him away from Aucoin who looks to have great chemistry with him. Both the 1st and 3rd lines are playing well now so why attempt to make the first line better if it causes the third line to struggle. Okposo has played well with Tavares in the past and played great the end of last season. On the third line Okposo might become dead weight.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

Quote:
The point is if it aint broke don't fix it. Ullstrom is having his first success as an NHL player and you want to take him away from Aucoin who looks to have great chemistry with him. Both the 1st and 3rd lines are playing well now so why attempt to make the first line better if it causes the third line to struggle. Okposo has played well with Tavares in the past and played great the end of last season. On the third line Okposo might become dead weight.
I'd still consider it one of those things a coach should play with once or twice in practice, though. Okposo, whether by rust or brainfart, is the weak link on line #1 right now. It would be interesting to see if JT could get mileage out of Ullström, and if so, how much.

Again, I'd wait 5 more games to see if Ullström is still out working and outproducing KO. If Kyle's still struggling and DU is still on all cylinders it warrants a look, even if only just to shake Okposo up, as benching him for 3 games did last year.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
I'd still consider it one of those things a coach should play with once or twice in practice, though. Okposo, whether by rust or brainfart, is the weak link on line #1 right now. It would be interesting to see if JT could get mileage out of Ullström, and if so, how much.

Again, I'd wait 5 more games to see if Ullström is still out working and outproducing KO. If Kyle's still struggling and DU is still on all cylinders it warrants a look, even if only just to shake Okposo up, as benching him for 3 games did last year.
I think regardless of what anyone wants, things are going to change once Bailey comes back. I honestly have no idea where they are going to put him, but they sure as hell are going to put him somewhere. I personally don't think he'd be a great fit on Tavares' RW, but I've been wrong before. I think a guy like Ullstrom or Nino, skilled physical players who can work the forcheck would be better fits. Since Nino is not here, Ullstrom would be the default choice.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Moulson Tavares Boyes
Grabner Nielsen Ullstrom
Bailey Aucoin Okposo
Martin Cizikas Joensuu

Ullstrom is not a 1st line guy but he's making a strong case for himself in the past week or two. I think with Nielsen and Grabs, they would be dangerous on both sides of the puck!

Tavares getting a bit screwed with Boyes, but there's nobody else better suited right now. May as well give it a shot. They will produce no matter what.

Love the idea of that third line. All three players are pretty responsible defensively and all have offensive ability. It might work very well.

Fourth line can play minutes and not look horrible.

The defense still scares the crap out of me though and not doing the fwds any favours. Of course, it might be different if Visnovsky, Martinek, healthy Hamonic, maybe deHaan or Donovan if they'd cracked the lineup, if Hickey emerges?
Agree with that lineup or just switch okposo with ullstrom. I would like to see what bailey and him could do together

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Agree with that lineup or just switch okposo with ullstrom. I would like to see what bailey and him could do together
Well.....I gotta say, I'm itching for a webpage that can tell you things like how productive two players are together and apart, because Okposo's most noticeable good play has come when lined up with Nielsen & Grabner and in irregular dribs and drabs with JT....basically one of the best pairs of hands in the league, or a combo of insanely high defensive IQ and a guy no one can keep up with.

I see Ullström's skillset having either fewer flaws or better consistent application to the NHL, even though Okie's done things that Ullström hasn't such as put up 50+ points, of course....though Ullström, to his credit, was at a 50-goal pace before his call-up last season. I could admittedly be a little sour on Okposo, but in terms of tenure, the only two players on the roster that have been here longer are DiPietro and Nielsen. I know how frequently we all debate what age a player should have his game a little more together versus how long they're still a kid, but Kyle's turning 25, and is the first post-Milbury component on the roster and the 'member of the core' I'd least expect to be out-hustled by Ullström as he has. Though expectations can get lofty around here, I expect better out of him both as a player and as an alternate captain.

It's wicked early in the season, and I'm eager to see him turn the corner and shut me up. ....I just expect smarter plays and better execution at a level that doesn't make me ask "where's the beef?" when I compare his play to Ullström.

(Post-script: If Bailey, Boyes or Ullström don't push him into the bottom-6 this year, Okposo will most likely have Niederreiter on his tail as well for that spot in as much time as 7 months or as little time as it takes for the wrong player to get injured.)

Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
thepeeve

If KO doesn't turn it around soon, I would try Ullstrom or Bailey. But not until Bailey shows he has his wheels back. Knee surgery and all that!

thepeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
The Isles were scoring lots of goals with Trottier-Gillies-Harris. Why break that up by putting that kid Bossy on the 1st line?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeve View Post
If KO doesn't turn it around soon, I would try Ullstrom or Bailey. But not until Bailey shows he has his wheels back. Knee surgery and all that!
Welcome to HF!!

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
BEB595

Lines I would love to see

Moulson - Tavares - Neidereitter
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Boyes - Bailey - Ullstrom
Martin - Aucoin - Cizikas

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
the isle revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
The Isles were scoring lots of goals with Trottier-Gillies-Harris. Why break that up by putting that kid Bossy on the 1st line?
You're right, Ullstrom's release reminds me of the great Bossy.

Switch Ullstrom and Okposo in a game situation. If we're down or their play warrants a change in game, change it there. No reason to set it in stone before a game, especially because we are playing well. Like I said in previous threads, Okposo's play hasn't been horrendous, but it hasn't been 1st line worthy.

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Nolanitis

He is the perfect 3rd liner and has played very well with Bailey and vice-versa. 3 good lines is a really tough problem for the opposing team. Let Ullstrom continue to grow into a role. He may wind up on the top, but my guess is he is a perfect 3rd liner. Maybe he moves to right wing on the Neilson's line. But he is really good on the left.

All I know is there are some tough personnel decisions coming the Isles way very soon. Cizikas, Nino, Nelson, Strome, and Kabanov are trying to fit in. Some players are going to be dealt soon!

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
3rd and 4th lines are rolling perfectly fine, so why would you tinker with them? Try Bailey with JT on the top line first. And as for Joensuu, let him earn his way onto one of the lines.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 02:22 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Really. You're comparing Mike Bossy with Ullstrom.