Notices

Give Fasth a chance?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
agent082

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brautigan View Post
This is only 48 game season, so dont worry about overplaying.
I know it is 48 games season, but the season started january. And I don't think Hiller needs to play 40 games to get shape. If Fasth isn't capable back-up, then Hiller plays 40 games, but I think Fasth is a great goalie and was pretty good in this first game. I think 35 games is a good number of games in this timespan to Hiller.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
I know it is 48 games season, but the season started january. And I don't think Hiller needs to play 40 games to get shape. If Fasth isn't capable back-up, then Hiller plays 40 games, but I think Fasth is a great goalie and was pretty good in this first game. I think 35 games is a good number of games in this timespan to Hiller.
Season is so short, that if we try Fasth too many times and he collapses, then we are out of playoffs. So i thibk that Hiller should play as many games as he can. Fasth may be our future, but Hiller is our present.

Ted Brautigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
agent082

Quote:
Season is so short, that if we try Fasth too many times and he collapses, then we are out of playoffs. So i thibk that Hiller should play as many games as he can. Fasth may be our future, but Hiller is our present.
Well atleast let him collapse in one game and then ride with Hiller. I think it is not asked much if u give him a fair chance to help Hiller.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
That's funny considering they are the same age.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
That's funny considering they are the same age.
Yes, same age. Indeed. So we can lose some points cause of same age? This is no training season, its on. So why we dontr just try keeping best roster as we can?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
That's what you do by playing Hiller.

There are lots of back to backs this season, Fasth is going to get those starts. He'll probably end up starting 10 or so games, plus some appearances in relief. We'll know more at the end of the season what Fasth brings to the table. For now, it doesn't make sense not to ride Hiller.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
Yes, same age. Indeed. So we can lose some points cause of same age? This is no training season, its on. So why we dontr just try keeping best roster as we can?
No, funny because apparently despite being the same age, Fasth is the future (apparently).

Though it should be noted that only one of our goaltenders has posted a sv% over 90 so far this season.

It's not like Fasth is a scrub, you are allowed to play the back up in the shorted season, and the back up has to play some of the back to backs + parts of a heavy schedule, it's just not good player management to make Hiller grind out 48 games in a condensed schedule.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Ted Brautigan

Chanche is about 10 games, but before we are sure for the playoffs, Let the best goelie play. Short season, too few games to lost for bad goaldending. Whole team play differently if there is Fasth, they trust more Hiller. So why dispute?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
Chanche is about 10 games, but before we are sure for the playoffs, Let the best goelie play. Short season, too few games to lost for bad goaldending. Whole team play differently if there is Fasth, they trust more Hiller. So why dispute?
I didn't know Eekok had Swiss cousins

Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Unless I'm mistaken, the Ducks have 10 back-to-back games. That suggests Fasth should get at least that many.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
No, funny because apparently despite being the same age, Fasth is the future (apparently).

Though it should be noted that only one of our goaltenders has posted a sv% over 90 so far this season.

It's not like Fasth is a scrub, you are allowed to play the back up in the shorted season, and the back up has to play some of the back to backs + parts of a heavy schedule, it's just not good player management to make Hiller grind out 48 games in a condensed schedule.
Heavy schedule? For example, Kipper played about 70 games last year. So you think that 40 games is heavy? Maybe in Germany.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
I didn't know Eekok had Swiss cousins
Game, set and play.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
Heavy schedule? For example, Kipper played about 70 games last year. So you think that 40 games is heavy? Maybe in Germany.

Bringing nationality into it, stay classy my friend.

It's the amount of games in the short space of time, you think 48 games in about 2 months (less when you take out rest days etc) isn't heavy? Good for you!

Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
mightyquack is right. You're looking at the number. He's looking at the number in the span of time available. Hiller would be playing a lot of games in a short span of time, with little time to rest. That's a good way to injure a player.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:

Bringing nationality into it, stay classy my friend.

It's the amount of games in the short space of time, you think 48 games in about 2 months (less when you take out rest days etc) isn't heavy? Good for you!
Yes, I'm Swiss, lol.

Good for you, if you can't stand the heat of playing 40 games in a yesr, then you must be somewhere else. Fasht may play about 15 games, but i think there is 5 too many. If you were BB, you will play Fasth when fighting for playoffs?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
UnknownAvenger

If Fasth plays well and wins when he gets his chances to play, yes you continue using him on these back-to-backs and 10-15 games is fine.

If he plays bad and loses then you ride Hiller.

It's not rocket science.

Someone in this thread is acting like if Fasth sucks, he'll still get 15 games. Not the case.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Yes, I'm Swiss, lol.

Good for you, if you can't stand the heat of playing 40 games in a yesr, then you must be somewhere else. Fasht may play about 15 games, but i think there is 5 too many. If you were BB, you will play Fasth when fighting for playoffs?
Depends on who gives us the better chance to win.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Depends on who gives us the better chance to win.
Well, you'll see, Fasth is no answer for this season. When Jiggy was in his prime, there was a goalie. Victor is not even near. Hiller is. Thats the main point. Im not saying that Fasth cant be our first someday, but more than 10 games during this season is absolutely waisting points.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Well, you'll see, Fasth is no answer for this season. When Jiggy was in his prime, there was a goalie. Victor is not even near. Hiller is. Thats the main point. Im not saying that Fasth cant be our first someday, but more than 10 games during this season is absolutely waisting points.
That remains to be seen.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
We'll see. If Hiller can't fix his one-bad-goal-per game habit, then the answer might be Fasth after all. I think that's unlikely, though.

But I doubt Fasth gets more than 10 starts regardless, so who cares?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
rollingdux

I don't know if this factors in, but there's talk in Ducks nation that the team plays tighter defensively in front of their backup. Do they rely on Hiller too much when he's in?

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

As a general rule teams tighten up in front of their backups because they either trust them less or because they're shielding them from the effects of rust (or both). Basically teams are more confident in their starters.

I don't know what relying too much on your starter would look like. A bunch of 5-3 losses or something? A crapload of scoring chances against? I haven't noticed anything like that.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Elvs

Quote:
When Giguere was in his prime, he didn't play every back to back game if that's what you are thinking... People aren't suggesting that Fasth is as good as Hiller, they want Fasth in net every now and then to keep Hiller fresh, so he can be the best he can be. Every team plays their backups on most back-to-back games, except for teams with horrendous backups (Philly with Leighton to name one).

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Paul4587

Also re starters workloads - look at all the starters who have won the cup the past dozen years. Rarely have they played more than 65 regular season games (Quick and Brodeur being exceptions). Since the lockout guys like Kiprusoff, Lundqvist and Nabokov were burning out every post season after having excellent regular seasons where in some cases they were starting 75+ games.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
DisneyDucky

Quote:
I think playing the best goalie for the moment is the best way to get points, be it Hiller or Fasth.

DisneyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote