HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 in the SO - We Needed a Bigger Boat

Old
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
23 Years of Fail

vCash: 500
I've gotta say you guys are one of my favorite teams to watch right now, it looks like there's finally a system in place to channel all of that talent. Good luck this year.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Pretty happy with the effort and point gained. I'm still going to be careful calling this team different from last year. Oil started something like 8-2-1 last season including a win over a 7-0 Washington team that was also firing on all cylinders. These efforts only mean something if we can continue to improve this season at the same or better rate than the other teams.
Last year the Oilers were getting all-world goaltending from Khabibulin. It was smoke and mirrors. This year looks to be a bit less of a illusion: yes, the powerplay is driving results, but they should be getting better results at ES than they have been. These things should balance out. All in all, I can't see anyone looking at this team and seeing the same club from last year. It's night and day, really.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
You made me look .

A solid 7th place with 41 giveaways.

Although after watching those stats I wouldn't really exaggerate their importance...
1. San Jose 67 (most giveaways by a landslide)
7. Oilers 41
27. Carolina 18
28. Florida 18
30. Columbus 11
that is a stat that comes with a lot of grey area,

one could argue that columbus is really good at protecting the puck, at the same time the reality is more like they are such a garbage team that the other team has possesion of the puck 80% of the game.

its similar to a stat that says how often player A misses the net. Ovie is going to miss the net a lot more than hordichuck, mainly because he takes 1000's of more shots.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Maybe, but this made me smile this morning

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Especially the West
Calgary dead last makes me smile. Although I'm sure CP has convinced themselves it's nothing to worry about.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Calgary dead last makes me smile. Although I'm sure CP has convinced themselves it's nothing to worry about.
I hope Calgary rallies. A nice late push to take them to 12th place would be fantastic.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
that is a stat that comes with a lot of grey area,

one could argue that columbus is really good at protecting the puck, at the same time the reality is more like they are such a garbage team that the other team has possesion of the puck 80% of the game.

its similar to a stat that says how often player A misses the net. Ovie is going to miss the net a lot more than hordichuck, mainly because he takes 1000's of more shots.
Good point. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to tweak it so that it's giveaways per minute of possession or something

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I hope Calgary rallies. A nice late push to take them to 12th place would be fantastic.
Oh I agree. I don't want them to get a top pick. It's just nice to see them eat a little **** after all the crap they throw at us.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I predicted the exact same thing last year - Calgary started and stayed for much of the year in the basement, and I said they'd make their "too little, too late" push to lose themselves a good pick near the end of the season, and they did just that. Calgary is a team that can only win when they play other teams that are coasting into the playoffs. That's when they pick up their wins.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
onetweasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
In regards to RNH, I'm shocked at the biased opinions on this board.

1) He's our best shutdown center. There, I said it. He's been facing the opposition's top line every game this year, and with the exception of that 1st game vs SJS has come out on top. He's not cherry-picking like Ebs/Hall are up the ice, and it's reducing the amount of time we're seeing him in the offensive zone. It's a trade-off I'll take considering it's keeping that 2nd line off the ice versus more dangerous opposition

2) Remember when Taylor Hall started last year with 6 points in 13 games and everyone was defending him? Nuge has 5 points in 7 and we're giving him so much flack? Better yet, he's actually winning every head-to-head 60-minute match-up he's playing in every game.

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RNH isn't the Oilers best shutdown centre simply because he isn't reliable in the dot yet. Notice where that line started every shift last night and you won't be seeing many d-zone starts.

Krueger is putting them in a position to succeed and they're succeeding. They've become an elite line as long as they can get the puck back before the other team sets up in the offensive zone.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
RNH isn't the Oilers best shutdown centre simply because he isn't reliable in the dot yet. Notice where that line started every shift last night and you won't be seeing many d-zone starts.

Krueger is putting them in a position to succeed and they're succeeding. They've become an elite line as long as they can get the puck back before the other team sets up in the offensive zone.
Look at the cycle they got going yesterday, the Sharks were utterly helpless when the kids were going, they didn't score yesterday, but they will in the future

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

Krueger is placing them in situations they never saw last year under Renney and their excelling. This should of been done last season, and it could be one of the reasons Renney wasn't rehired.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Krueger is placing them in situations they never saw last year under Renney and their excelling. This should of been done last season, and it could be one of the reasons Renney wasn't rehired.
Agreed. Last season that line would have not been on the ice with a 2-2 game and a minute left in the 3rd. It was good tom see Krueger trust them in such a situation.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Most of the time they're in the same situations, just a few minutes more often per game than with Renney. Biggest difference so far has probably been overtime, to be honest.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
I think what Renney did has led to the success the younger players have been having this season. giving them sheltered minutes and letting them mature as players at a measured pace. what renney did is paying off this year, as the players are better equipped to take on the greater responsibilities.
It was as close to the "detroit way" as the oilers have ever come, instead of thowing the players to the wolves and hope for the best.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
That doesn't follow. Just because it works now, doesn't mean it would have then.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I think what Renney did has led to the success the younger players have been having this season. giving them sheltered minutes and letting them mature as players at a measured pace. what renney did is paying off this year, as the players are better equipped to take on the greater responsibilities.
It was as close to the "detroit way" as the oilers have ever come, instead of thowing the players to the wolves and hope for the best.
Definitely agree. Good thing is that they're not getting sheltered this year and are doing very well for it. It's easy to get frustrated at RNH when we've seen more from him last year (on offence), but I can also believe that he'll get out of it eventually when he can 'think' less defence and just 'do'.

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

One thing I liked about the top line last night was not only did they hold their own against the top line in the NHL, that line is also bigger and stronger than they are, and I saw them fight through checks and we saw RNH even take the body a couple of times - doing that on Thornton is never easy.

Other than a couple of examples where RNH and Hall forgot how long JT's arms are and how good he is with his stick, they respected that line but pushed back with the quick breakouts.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Agreed, while I wasn't Renney's biggest fan, he did some good things. He's had a hand in what the kids are doing now.

With that said, I like that Krueger is giving them a chance to prove themselves. Renney never did that for the kids. Giving them responsibility and holding them accountable. I'm really glad Krueger is doing that.

Whoever said he 1st line is turning into an elite line is right. They are having some slight transition problems, but apart from that, when they get into opposition's zone, they have a Sedin-like ability to keep teams hemmed in their own zones for prolonged periods. I suspect as they get more comfortable with the system and get into the groove, they are just going to run rampant on some poor teams.

And RNH is playing just great. His offense will come around, I think the move from sheltered minutes to top opposition in his sophomore year is quite a transition. Especially given the responsibilities of a C.

Oh and man Gagner is turning it on. Have to give him some major props for his play this season. Well played lad, keep it up.

02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

when it'll be the next time a player emerges with such combination of physicality and hockey sense as Thornton possesses, i definitely want the Oilers to have him. should go 1st overall though, and i hope we won't be drafting anywhere close to 1st anytime soon! a very special player, this Jumbo Joe.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I've gotta say you guys are one of my favorite teams to watch right now, it looks like there's finally a system in place to channel all of that talent. Good luck this year.
Yah.. Them Sharks arent too shabby either..This is seriously the year for them .. Perfect mix of youth and vets..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Anyone have a number for the amount of D zone draws RNH took last night? I thought I saw him take at least 2 that he won.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
when it'll be the next time a player emerges with such combination of physicality and hockey sense as Thornton possesses, i definitely want the Oilers to have him. should go 1st overall though, and i hope we won't be drafting anywhere close to 1st anytime soon! a very special player, this Jumbo Joe.
Remember how his first season went? 7 points. and didn't it take 6 years until he broke the ppg plateau?

whenever anyone gets down on a young talented player, (for example starting threads 3 games into the year asking if we should have drafted someone else than Yak) they should have to learn about Joe Thornton and patience in the development of a player.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:16 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Agreed, while I wasn't Renney's biggest fan, he did some good things. He's had a hand in what the kids are doing now.

With that said, I like that Krueger is giving them a chance to prove themselves. Renney never did that for the kids. Giving them responsibility and holding them accountable. I'm really glad Krueger is doing that.

Whoever said he 1st line is turning into an elite line is right. They are having some slight transition problems, but apart from that, when they get into opposition's zone, they have a Sedin-like ability to keep teams hemmed in their own zones for prolonged periods. I suspect as they get more comfortable with the system and get into the groove, they are just going to run rampant on some poor teams.

And RNH is playing just great. His offense will come around, I think the move from sheltered minutes to top opposition in his sophomore year is quite a transition. Especially given the responsibilities of a C.

Oh and man Gagner is turning it on. Have to give him some major props for his play this season. Well played lad, keep it up.
This line of reasoning would fine if Renney did it for half the season and just for some of the rookies like RNH, but he didn't. He relied too much on Horcoff, Smyth, and Jones in the important situation for the full year. He should have been placing Eberle and Hall in critical situations, instead of sheltering them.

I do agree about RNH, he's still filling out and his FO have improved, as his defensive game. Love to see what Gagner is doing, but it still doesn't change the fact the Oilers need a big physical C. If not a big C, they'll need a couple of big wingers, because one will not be enough.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Look at the cycle they got going yesterday, the Sharks were utterly helpless when the kids were going, they didn't score yesterday, but they will in the future
It wasn't just the Sharks. It's been the story all year, with an exception in Phoenix.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote