HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is the 2011 Draft class underrated?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 AM
  #51
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.
He's actually playing on the top pairing now. He had 20+ minutes the other day and is Suter's partner. He's been a stud and he still has room to grow.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 AM
  #52
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
I still hate Phoenix's 2011 draft, think it has a lot to do with why Keith Gretzky isn't in charge of our scouting anymore.

Connor Murphy

Alexander Ruuttu

Lucas Lessio

Harrison Ruopp

Kale Kessy

Darian Dziurzynski

Andrew Fritsch

Zac Larrazza

The only pick out of there I'm still good with is Lessio.
Murphy is great when he's healthy, and Fristch is good for a late round pick

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:20 AM
  #53
OOEEL
Registered User
 
OOEEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Murphy is great when he's healthy, and Fristch is good for a late round pick
Blowing out his knee in two straight seasons after being plagued with back issues prior to getting drafted?

I liked what I saw from him in the WJC, but he hasn't played a whole season since when? Ever? Maybe he'll be fine once he gets away from Team USA?

And yeah, Andrew is fairly close to a PPG player, which is good for a 6th rounder. Dziurzynski is already in the AHL since he was an over ager, but he's either a 4th liner or a healthy scratch at this point.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:51 AM
  #54
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Blowing out his knee in two straight seasons after being plagued with back issues prior to getting drafted?

I liked what I saw from him in the WJC, but he hasn't played a whole season since when? Ever? Maybe he'll be fine once he gets away from Team USA?

And yeah, Andrew is fairly close to a PPG player, which is good for a 6th rounder. Dziurzynski is already in the AHL since he was an over ager, but he's either a 4th liner or a healthy scratch at this point.
His most healthy season came with the NDTP ironically.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 AM
  #55
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.
Well he already is and I don't see him getting any worse.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
  #56
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 5,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
He's actually playing on the top pairing now. He had 20+ minutes the other day and is Suter's partner. He's been a stud and he still has room to grow.
Playing on the top pairing does not make you a top pairing player. Unless I could interest you in trading Wade Redden for Granlund. A top pairing defenseman for a 2nd line center!

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 AM
  #57
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Playing on the top pairing does not make you a top pairing player. Unless I could interest you in trading Wade Redden for Granlund. A top pairing defenseman for a 2nd line center!
hey guys, Detroit has Brian Lashoff who plays on the top line with Nick Kronwall and is in his early 20's. maybe we throw in a 4th or 5th and lets make a deal for Tarsenko lol

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
  #58
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Playing on the top pairing does not make you a top pairing player. Unless I could interest you in trading Wade Redden for Granlund. A top pairing defenseman for a 2nd line center!
Uh, yes it does. We tried a few players with Suter and Brodin is the only one that really meshed well with his play. It just isn't Brodin's play though. He looks like a top 2 defenseman out there.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
  #59
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Uh, yes it does. We tried a few players with Suter and Brodin is the only one that really meshed well with his play. It just isn't Brodin's play though. He looks like a top 2 defenseman out there.
Thank you for informing me that Dallas has two-top pairing defensemen.

Guess Nashville doesn't miss Suter because Josi plays with Weber now and he's a top pairing defensemen too.

Brodin is in no way shape or form a top 2 defensemen.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
  #60
Regina Pat
CBJ Bandwagon ID:962
 
Regina Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The ODR
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
The Leafs picks will take a while to pan out. If they bring Biggs along slowly he can be a very effective player. Haven't really heard much on Percy though.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  #61
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,101
vCash: 500
Underrated? I didn't think people even begin to rate a draft class until it has aged a few years.

Rushing to designating draft classes successes or flops one year later will result in a lot of 21- and 22-year-old reclamation projects.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
  #62
EDubWildFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
hey guys, Detroit has Brian Lashoff who plays on the top line with Nick Kronwall and is in his early 20's. maybe we throw in a 4th or 5th and lets make a deal for Tarsenko lol
Why don't you ask Kronwall what he thinks of Brodin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Brodin is in no way shape or form a top 2 defensemen.
Quote saved, and crow is in the freezer.

EDubWildFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
  #63
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post

Brodin is in no way shape or form a top 2 defensemen.
Yes, he is. Watch him play.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
  #64
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Yes, he is. Watch him play.
I've seen him play, he is not a top 2 defensemen. Playing on a top pairing does NOT make you a top pairing defensemen. You're trying to make the claim that he's one of the best defensemen in the league (Which a top pairing defensemen is).

You have no justifying reasons for why you think he's a top pairing defensemen. You've said why you think that, but none of those are good reasons to justify your claim for why he's a top pairing defensemen. "Because I said so" is not a good arguement.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
  #65
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,759
vCash: 500
Brodin is fantastic defensively, has made great moves on many vets, handled the blackhawks well. He's been shooting and getting a the shot through, has hit at least 3 posts. Has 2 assists, is breaking the play out very well.

What part of that isn't a top pairing Defensemen?

Is this the whole #1 Center argument all over again?

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:03 PM
  #66
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Brodin is fantastic defensively, has made great moves on many vets, handled the blackhawks well. He's been shooting and getting a the shot through, has hit at least 3 posts. Has 2 assists, is breaking the play out very well.

What part of that isn't a top pairing Defensemen?

Is this the whole #1 Center argument all over again?
It's been 4 games...You have to prove you're a top pairing defensemen, you don't get called one because you have a very good first few games. Jordie Benn (Jamie's undrafted BCHL alumni brother) has played like a top 4 defensemen this season. That doesn't mean he is one, that doesn't mean he will continue to be one. In fact, he's probably going to be sent down to make room for other's.

There are probably only 10 true #1 defensemen in the league, likely only 15 of so #2 defensemen in the league. Top defensemen don't grow on tree's, and they certainly are not born in 4 games in the NHL. Not even the two super-defense prospects coming up, Seth Jones and Aaron Ekblad will be top pairing defensemen in their first year, and not even the most homer of Minnestoa fans could argue Brodin is a better prospect then them.

Brodin is absolutely not a top pairing defensemen now, he is a defensemen who plays on a top pairing.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
  #67
TheNudge
Registered User
 
TheNudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,814
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Habs:

1st round Nathan Beaulieu - Offensive dman. Potential, top 4 dman
4th round: Josiah Didier - 6'2 dman playing at the U of Denver.
4th round: Olivier Archambault - Former 1st overall pick in the Q playing around a ppg. Probably not going to make it
4th round: Magnus Nygren - Overager when drafted. He's doing very well in the SEL. Was compared to MAB, as he has a big, booming shot, but was terrible on defense. Seems to have changed it around and is starting to become and all around dman. Could make the NHL.
5th Round Darren Dietz: Physical dman playing in the WHL. Big shot. Could be a 5, 6 or 7 guy.
6th round: Daniel Pribyl: 6'4 Czech centre. Started off slowly, but seems to be getting the hang of things. Has a very slight chance to be an NHLer.
7th round: Colin Sullivan - Don't follow him. However, there was a report pre-draft that the habs and Canes interviewed him. Doubt he even comes close to the NHL, but I don't follow him very closely, so who knows.

To be quite honnest, this draft wasn't soo good to montreal. If I was a fan of the Canadien, I wouldn't be excited. I gotta give them a grade of -C.

TheNudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
  #68
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 505
When Jonathon Ericsson first got to the NHL in the playoffs he looked like great. put up ok points, played physical strong D, and we thought he was going to be great. well the next year he came and he was not so great. it took two years to get to be a decent top 4 defenseman. I'm not saying
Brodin will decline that bad, but it takes a while to see the complete player and 5-6 games isn't enough time.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
  #69
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,095
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Guess Nashville doesn't miss Suter because Josi plays with Weber now and he's a top pairing defensemen too.
Um. Actually...

(Granted, the Preds would undoubtedly prefer to have both. But there's a reason Josi was being called the "Swiss Suter" long before ever he saw NHL ice.)

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
  #70
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I've seen him play, he is not a top 2 defensemen. Playing on a top pairing does NOT make you a top pairing defensemen. You're trying to make the claim that he's one of the best defensemen in the league (Which a top pairing defensemen is).

You have no justifying reasons for why you think he's a top pairing defensemen. You've said why you think that, but none of those are good reasons to justify your claim for why he's a top pairing defensemen. "Because I said so" is not a good arguement.
My opinion, which is as valid as yours, disagrees.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
  #71
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,794
vCash: 50
Wild fans are just pumped by Brodin's rapid ascension. Is he one of the best 60 defensemen in the league? I don't know what metric you'd use to determine that but the cautious people are correct: four games isn't enough to label a guy anything but "promising". That said, after watching him I'm fairly confident there are some guys on a hypothetical consensus "top 60" list i wouldn't trade him for.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:43 PM
  #72
PuckInTheNards
Registered User
 
PuckInTheNards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I've seen him play, he is not a top 2 defensemen. Playing on a top pairing does NOT make you a top pairing defensemen. You're trying to make the claim that he's one of the best defensemen in the league (Which a top pairing defensemen is).

You have no justifying reasons for why you think he's a top pairing defensemen. You've said why you think that, but none of those are good reasons to justify your claim for why he's a top pairing defensemen. "Because I said so" is not a good arguement.
And yet, you make the argument the exact same way. He's not a top defenseman because you say so. In fact, the people most able to make that decision all (I.e. the Wild coaching staff) all say that he his a top 2. Anyone who consistently watches him or plays with him have all agreed that he's a special talent. But hey... So some guy on the Internet disagrees so every single person who plays with or writes about him must be wrong. Yeah.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:03 PM
  #73
Eple
Registered User
 
Eple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
And yet, you make the argument the exact same way. He's not a top defenseman because you say so. In fact, the people most able to make that decision all (I.e. the Wild coaching staff) all say that he his a top 2. Anyone who consistently watches him or plays with him have all agreed that he's a special talent. But hey... So some guy on the Internet disagrees so every single person who plays with or writes about him must be wrong. Yeah.

Brodin is looking great so far, and to think he's only 19...

He's very intelligent player and doesn't rely on natural skill that much so i think he'll have a great future ahead of him.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
  #74
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Wild fans are just pumped by Brodin's rapid ascension. Is he one of the best 60 defensemen in the league? I don't know what metric you'd use to determine that but the cautious people are correct: four games isn't enough to label a guy anything but "promising". That said, after watching him I'm fairly confident there are some guys on a hypothetical consensus "top 60" list i wouldn't trade him for.
People also need to consider he has been playing pro hockey since he was 17 in Sverige, and he was on their WC squad last season, and earned rave reviews. There are other ways to evaluate talent than their NHL pedigree.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
  #75
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 20,794
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
People also need to consider he has been playing pro hockey since he was 17 in Sverige, and he was on their WC squad last season, and earned rave reviews. There are other ways to evaluate talent than their NHL pedigree.
in the HF world of placing value by position, Brodin's trade value would be of an excellent prospect with first pairing upside, not a first pairing defenseman...just try to see where people are coming from. He hasn't played enough in the NHL to rate a proper descriptor yet. We may know he's there to stay, but outside of MN our D as a group looks pretty suspect with little experience an no established top performer outside of Suter. Playing as the #2 D (and i think Gilbert is still getting more TOI IIRC) in that group isn't going to convince anyone that he's actually a first pairing D. With a four game sample size how willing do you think most fans would be to insert him into their top pairing?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.