HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is the 2011 Draft class underrated?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.
He's actually playing on the top pairing now. He had 20+ minutes the other day and is Suter's partner. He's been a stud and he still has room to grow.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
I still hate Phoenix's 2011 draft, think it has a lot to do with why Keith Gretzky isn't in charge of our scouting anymore.

Connor Murphy

Alexander Ruuttu

Lucas Lessio

Harrison Ruopp

Kale Kessy

Darian Dziurzynski

Andrew Fritsch

Zac Larrazza

The only pick out of there I'm still good with is Lessio.
Murphy is great when he's healthy, and Fristch is good for a late round pick

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:20 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Murphy is great when he's healthy, and Fristch is good for a late round pick
Blowing out his knee in two straight seasons after being plagued with back issues prior to getting drafted?

I liked what I saw from him in the WJC, but he hasn't played a whole season since when? Ever? Maybe he'll be fine once he gets away from Team USA?

And yeah, Andrew is fairly close to a PPG player, which is good for a 6th rounder. Dziurzynski is already in the AHL since he was an over ager, but he's either a 4th liner or a healthy scratch at this point.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Blowing out his knee in two straight seasons after being plagued with back issues prior to getting drafted?

I liked what I saw from him in the WJC, but he hasn't played a whole season since when? Ever? Maybe he'll be fine once he gets away from Team USA?

And yeah, Andrew is fairly close to a PPG player, which is good for a 6th rounder. Dziurzynski is already in the AHL since he was an over ager, but he's either a 4th liner or a healthy scratch at this point.
His most healthy season came with the NDTP ironically.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I'll admit that Brodin has great potential, sure but to be calling him a sure fire lock as a top pairing guy after 4 games is ridiculous.
Well he already is and I don't see him getting any worse.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
He's actually playing on the top pairing now. He had 20+ minutes the other day and is Suter's partner. He's been a stud and he still has room to grow.
Playing on the top pairing does not make you a top pairing player. Unless I could interest you in trading Wade Redden for Granlund. A top pairing defenseman for a 2nd line center!

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 AM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Playing on the top pairing does not make you a top pairing player. Unless I could interest you in trading Wade Redden for Granlund. A top pairing defenseman for a 2nd line center!
hey guys, Detroit has Brian Lashoff who plays on the top line with Nick Kronwall and is in his early 20's. maybe we throw in a 4th or 5th and lets make a deal for Tarsenko lol

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Uh, yes it does. We tried a few players with Suter and Brodin is the only one that really meshed well with his play. It just isn't Brodin's play though. He looks like a top 2 defenseman out there.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Uh, yes it does. We tried a few players with Suter and Brodin is the only one that really meshed well with his play. It just isn't Brodin's play though. He looks like a top 2 defenseman out there.
Thank you for informing me that Dallas has two-top pairing defensemen.

Guess Nashville doesn't miss Suter because Josi plays with Weber now and he's a top pairing defensemen too.

Brodin is in no way shape or form a top 2 defensemen.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Regina Pat
CBJ Bandwagon ID:962

The Leafs picks will take a while to pan out. If they bring Biggs along slowly he can be a very effective player. Haven't really heard much on Percy though.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Underrated? I didn't think people even begin to rate a draft class until it has aged a few years.

Rushing to designating draft classes successes or flops one year later will result in a lot of 21- and 22-year-old reclamation projects.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
EDubWildFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
hey guys, Detroit has Brian Lashoff who plays on the top line with Nick Kronwall and is in his early 20's. maybe we throw in a 4th or 5th and lets make a deal for Tarsenko lol
Why don't you ask Kronwall what he thinks of Brodin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Quote saved, and crow is in the freezer.

EDubWildFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post

Yes, he is. Watch him play.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Yes, he is. Watch him play.
I've seen him play, he is not a top 2 defensemen. Playing on a top pairing does NOT make you a top pairing defensemen. You're trying to make the claim that he's one of the best defensemen in the league (Which a top pairing defensemen is).

You have no justifying reasons for why you think he's a top pairing defensemen. You've said why you think that, but none of those are good reasons to justify your claim for why he's a top pairing defensemen. "Because I said so" is not a good arguement.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Brodin is fantastic defensively, has made great moves on many vets, handled the blackhawks well. He's been shooting and getting a the shot through, has hit at least 3 posts. Has 2 assists, is breaking the play out very well.

What part of that isn't a top pairing Defensemen?

Is this the whole #1 Center argument all over again?

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Brodin is fantastic defensively, has made great moves on many vets, handled the blackhawks well. He's been shooting and getting a the shot through, has hit at least 3 posts. Has 2 assists, is breaking the play out very well.

What part of that isn't a top pairing Defensemen?

Is this the whole #1 Center argument all over again?
It's been 4 games...You have to prove you're a top pairing defensemen, you don't get called one because you have a very good first few games. Jordie Benn (Jamie's undrafted BCHL alumni brother) has played like a top 4 defensemen this season. That doesn't mean he is one, that doesn't mean he will continue to be one. In fact, he's probably going to be sent down to make room for other's.

There are probably only 10 true #1 defensemen in the league, likely only 15 of so #2 defensemen in the league. Top defensemen don't grow on tree's, and they certainly are not born in 4 games in the NHL. Not even the two super-defense prospects coming up, Seth Jones and Aaron Ekblad will be top pairing defensemen in their first year, and not even the most homer of Minnestoa fans could argue Brodin is a better prospect then them.

Brodin is absolutely not a top pairing defensemen now, he is a defensemen who plays on a top pairing.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Habs:

1st round Nathan Beaulieu - Offensive dman. Potential, top 4 dman
4th round: Josiah Didier - 6'2 dman playing at the U of Denver.
4th round: Olivier Archambault - Former 1st overall pick in the Q playing around a ppg. Probably not going to make it
4th round: Magnus Nygren - Overager when drafted. He's doing very well in the SEL. Was compared to MAB, as he has a big, booming shot, but was terrible on defense. Seems to have changed it around and is starting to become and all around dman. Could make the NHL.
5th Round Darren Dietz: Physical dman playing in the WHL. Big shot. Could be a 5, 6 or 7 guy.
6th round: Daniel Pribyl: 6'4 Czech centre. Started off slowly, but seems to be getting the hang of things. Has a very slight chance to be an NHLer.
7th round: Colin Sullivan - Don't follow him. However, there was a report pre-draft that the habs and Canes interviewed him. Doubt he even comes close to the NHL, but I don't follow him very closely, so who knows.

To be quite honnest, this draft wasn't soo good to montreal. If I was a fan of the Canadien, I wouldn't be excited. I gotta give them a grade of -C.

TheNudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
When Jonathon Ericsson first got to the NHL in the playoffs he looked like great. put up ok points, played physical strong D, and we thought he was going to be great. well the next year he came and he was not so great. it took two years to get to be a decent top 4 defenseman. I'm not saying
Brodin will decline that bad, but it takes a while to see the complete player and 5-6 games isn't enough time.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Guess Nashville doesn't miss Suter because Josi plays with Weber now and he's a top pairing defensemen too.
Um. Actually...

(Granted, the Preds would undoubtedly prefer to have both. But there's a reason Josi was being called the "Swiss Suter" long before ever he saw NHL ice.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
I've seen him play, he is not a top 2 defensemen. Playing on a top pairing does NOT make you a top pairing defensemen. You're trying to make the claim that he's one of the best defensemen in the league (Which a top pairing defensemen is).

You have no justifying reasons for why you think he's a top pairing defensemen. You've said why you think that, but none of those are good reasons to justify your claim for why he's a top pairing defensemen. "Because I said so" is not a good arguement.
My opinion, which is as valid as yours, disagrees.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Wild fans are just pumped by Brodin's rapid ascension. Is he one of the best 60 defensemen in the league? I don't know what metric you'd use to determine that but the cautious people are correct: four games isn't enough to label a guy anything but "promising". That said, after watching him I'm fairly confident there are some guys on a hypothetical consensus "top 60" list i wouldn't trade him for.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:43 PM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:

And yet, you make the argument the exact same way. He's not a top defenseman because you say so. In fact, the people most able to make that decision all (I.e. the Wild coaching staff) all say that he his a top 2. Anyone who consistently watches him or plays with him have all agreed that he's a special talent. But hey... So some guy on the Internet disagrees so every single person who plays with or writes about him must be wrong. Yeah.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Eple

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
And yet, you make the argument the exact same way. He's not a top defenseman because you say so. In fact, the people most able to make that decision all (I.e. the Wild coaching staff) all say that he his a top 2. Anyone who consistently watches him or plays with him have all agreed that he's a special talent. But hey... So some guy on the Internet disagrees so every single person who plays with or writes about him must be wrong. Yeah.

Brodin is looking great so far, and to think he's only 19...

He's very intelligent player and doesn't rely on natural skill that much so i think he'll have a great future ahead of him.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Wild fans are just pumped by Brodin's rapid ascension. Is he one of the best 60 defensemen in the league? I don't know what metric you'd use to determine that but the cautious people are correct: four games isn't enough to label a guy anything but "promising". That said, after watching him I'm fairly confident there are some guys on a hypothetical consensus "top 60" list i wouldn't trade him for.
People also need to consider he has been playing pro hockey since he was 17 in Sverige, and he was on their WC squad last season, and earned rave reviews. There are other ways to evaluate talent than their NHL pedigree.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
People also need to consider he has been playing pro hockey since he was 17 in Sverige, and he was on their WC squad last season, and earned rave reviews. There are other ways to evaluate talent than their NHL pedigree.
in the HF world of placing value by position, Brodin's trade value would be of an excellent prospect with first pairing upside, not a first pairing defenseman...just try to see where people are coming from. He hasn't played enough in the NHL to rate a proper descriptor yet. We may know he's there to stay, but outside of MN our D as a group looks pretty suspect with little experience an no established top performer outside of Suter. Playing as the #2 D (and i think Gilbert is still getting more TOI IIRC) in that group isn't going to convince anyone that he's actually a first pairing D. With a four game sample size how willing do you think most fans would be to insert him into their top pairing?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote