HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Foligno vs Kassian: No Hodge

Old
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
The Washer

vCash: 500
Foligno vs Kassian: No Hodge

The claim was made that Foligno made Kassian expendable, let's discuss whilst leaving the Hodgson part of this story for another thread.

Foligno Career Totals:
Games: 21
Goals: 7
Assists: 10
+/-: 5
Penalty Mins: 20
Hits: 65
Blocks: 13
PPG: 2
PPA: 2
SHG: 0
SHA: 0
GW: 1
SOG: 37
PCT: .189

Kassian Career Totals:
Games: 51
Goals: 9
Assists: 6
+/-: -2
Penalty Mins: 63
Hits: 98
Blocks: 3
PPG: 2
PPA: 1
SHG: 0
SHA: 0
GW: 0
SOG: 69
PCT: .130

Foligno with more points in half as many games and almost half as many shots.

Which will have the better career?

The Washer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I still don't think Foligno made Kassian "expendable". His presence simply makes dealing Kassian for a bigger need more palatable with the fallback argument being about expendability. If they could've kept Zack, I would've prefered that, to actually have multiple players who are a load to handle in the top 9 rather than yet again having basically one.

As for the premise of the OP, Kassian is probably going to put up more points over his career. He's got offensive abilities that Foligno simply does not (his wall work and passing from traffic are top notch).

02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Jeremy2020

It's kind of silly to ignore the actual trade for two players that have no relation other than they sorta play the same style.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Kassian... it's not even a question.

Still love the trade we made

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I dont think Kassian was moved because of Foligno, that would be stupid thinking is so. I hope he was moved because we needed a center more than a winger.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Kassian moved because a young top 6 all around center was somehow available, and **** like that almost never happens.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Old Navy Goat

You move an asset from a position of strength (relative term) to shore up a weakness. If last year's draft happened the previous year then they most likely wouldn't have made the move as their young center would have been in the system.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I dont think Kassian was moved because of Foligno, that would be stupid thinking is so. I hope he was moved because we needed a center more than a winger.
I agree with all so far, that we moved Kassian because of our Center needs. With that being said, I believe the "expendable" language inserted into this transaction, is a tie-in that could be used for career comparisons between these two.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Big young skilled power forwards are very scarce and valuable. The Sabres had 2 of them. Having more then one allowed the team to trade one for a young top 6 center which is the organizations biggest weakness for most of the last 15 years since LaFontaine left. I would have loved to have both but the need for a top 6 center was astronomical. I do prefer Foligno though, Kassians time here was extremely underwhelming to say the least. But I do wish Kassian the best and hope he turns out to be a good power forward.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
DJN21

everything up until last year's start suggested Kassian would be the better player. I myself testify to that and believing in that. After watching Foligno all year last year and for his time in the A this year, ontop of watching Kassian play for a good chunk of time last year I am in no way shape or form sold on Kassian being the far-and-away better player.

Goal scoring is likely up for grabs still as its too soon to tell, however in terms of overall game in terms of defensive ability, leadership intangibles, work ethic, shot blocking, PKing etc Foligno is at least currently a much more polished player.

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
sabresfan129103

I still think Kassian is better, but you don't lose that much having Foligno in the lineup instead of him. When a player like Hodgson becomes available you have to take advantage of it.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
FoSotC

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with Kassian at this point. Still would have made the trade.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
VilleLeino

put foligno with Sedin caliber players and you would see He would be the better point getter.

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Kassian moved because a young top 6 all around center was somehow available, and **** like that almost never happens.
Exactly. First line potential centers that are still 21 years old coming off a 41 pt rookie season are extremely valuable and are as Jame pointed out never traded. Also I'll take a first line center over a first line winger any day of the week.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleLeino View Post
put foligno with Sedin caliber players and you would see He would be the better point getter.
you are underestimating Kassian, I think ZK is much more talented than Foligno, but MF is a more physical, gritty player.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Kassian will probably have the better career because he is more talented than Foligno, but I still have doubts if Kassian can be consistent with his physical game. I know he has 5 goals and is off to a good start, but I've watched almost all of the Canucks games so far and I still feel like he is lacking in the meanness department every night, he's been really good in front of the net but I think he wants to be a skill player more than a Lucic type that brings that physical aspect every night.

People also seem to be thinking that Sedin-Sedin-Kassian line is dominating, but they really aren't, they have 4 even strength goals in 7 games...

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 02-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
tsujimoto74

Kassian has the higher offensive ceiling. Whether or not he reaches it is up to him. He seemed to be struggling to do that with Roc/Buf, though maybe the change of scenery woke him up.
Foligno brings it every night though, and I think he will be an elite (or close to) physical player. He also looks like a safer bet to be a productive top 6 power forward. He had some lucky sh% last year, but he started slow this year and has still been getting on the score sheet some.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
McTank

It's close, I like foligno personally but kassian has higher upside. Just think folignos more likely to reach his ceiling.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I wish we could still have both and Hodgson.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I wish we could still have both and Hodgson.
Foligno-Ott-Kassian that line would destroy

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Dubi Doo

Kassian will be better, imo. His offensive abilities are much better than Foligno's.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Foligno-Ott-Kassian that line would destroy
God that line would be so much fun to watch.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
I doubt that. Foligno is a solid player but he doesn't have the offensive ability or upside that Kassian does.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian only have 4 even strength goals in 7 games as a line, not like they are lighting it up out there.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:19 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
everything up until last year's start suggested Kassian would be the better player. I myself testify to that and believing in that. After watching Foligno all year last year and for his time in the A this year, ontop of watching Kassian play for a good chunk of time last year I am in no way shape or form sold on Kassian being the far-and-away better player.

Goal scoring is likely up for grabs still as its too soon to tell, however in terms of overall game in terms of defensive ability, leadership intangibles, work ethic, shot blocking, PKing etc Foligno is at least currently a much more polished player.
This is where I am at. Add in more points in almost half the games, I believe its:

Advantage: Foligno