HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Sproul (2011, 55th overall, Detroit)

Old
01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
Wow another goal

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Wow another goal
He just doesn't stop

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Wow another goal
Haha talk about a hot streak. Will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL, the ceiling is high on this kid

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Anchor Town

8 goals in 6 games for a defenseman. Not bad

32 points in 24 games now

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

At what point do we start taking this guy seriously? He's still going, so it's not just a hot streak. He's putting up 1.28 PPG, which is similar to #8 in league wide scoring (for all players, not just D). He's not on a great team, and their power play is good but not overwhelming, so it's not like he's riding a hot team or a hot PP.

With Hamilton out of the league, Sproul should be the top defensive scorer even having missed games. Maybe I'm a homer, but that seems pretty impressive. Also worth noting that Sproul has the exact same PPG as Hamilton did before he left the OHL.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
At what point do we start taking this guy seriously? He's still going, so it's not just a hot streak. He's putting up 1.28 PPG, which is similar to #8 in league wide scoring (for all players, not just D). He's not on a great team, and their power play is good but not overwhelming, so it's not like he's riding a hot team or a hot PP.

With Hamilton out of the league, Sproul should be the top defensive scorer even having missed games. Maybe I'm a homer, but that seems pretty impressive. Also worth noting that Sproul has the exact same PPG as Hamilton did before he left the OHL.
If he were picked 15 picks earlier in the first round he would probably be talked about like crazy but he came of nowhere, was a mid second rounder and didnt quite make the world junior team (Spotts dumb). He would get a lot more hype if any of those things happened but they didnt.

He is really raw but a 6'4 fast skating dman that produces like this is really promising for the wings, especially with Ouellet coming along too.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:52 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
a 6'4 fast skating dman that produces like this is really promising for the wings, especially with Ouellet coming along too.
I didn't realize he was that big.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:30 AM
PensFan6687

After seeing Xavier Ouellet do so well in the World Juniors (mind you he stuck out against the lesser countries) and the Subway CHL/Russian series, I like him over Ryan Sproul. Having said that, Sproul has bigger boom-and-bust potential vs. Ouellet, who looks like the safer bet to project as a viable NHL defenseman. Sproul's boom is BOOM! But his offence may not be enough to carry him. Would be scary good if both develop into top 4 guys for the Red Wings.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
After seeing Xavier Ouellet do so well in the World Juniors (mind you he stuck out against the lesser countries) and the Subway CHL/Russian series, I like him over Ryan Sproul. Having said that, Sproul has bigger boom-and-bust potential vs. Ouellet, who looks like the safer bet to project as a viable NHL defenseman. Sproul's boom is BOOM! But his offence may not be enough to carry him. Would be scary good if both develop into top 4 guys for the Red Wings.
Thats pretty much how all wing fans feel. If Sproul hits his potential its the sky, but hes really risky. Ouellet looks like a very safe bet to be a good NHLer, maybe even a number 2 dman but he just doesnt have the skill set to make him that absolute stud offensive guy. Maybe in a couple years Sproul and Ouellet will be the second pairing behind Kronwall and Smith

Old
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
wej20

could be a Kurtis Foster type if his defensive game doesn't develop, better skater than Foster to.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
could be a Kurtis Foster type if his defensive game doesn't develop, better skater than Foster to.
I was thinking Marc Andre Bergeron if his defensive game goes nowhere.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I was thinking Marc Andre Bergeron if his defensive game goes nowhere.
You realize MAB is extremely small while Sproul is 6'4"...if anything his game could be like Cody Franson...that would be if nothing else develops well.

TheKingSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Well people compare Sproul- Ouellet to the Weber- Suter pairing. Obviously they don't have the exact same styles, but fairly similar. It'd be amazing if they pan out to be all star 1st pairings.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:57 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Well people compare Sproul- Ouellet to the Weber- Suter pairing. Obviously they don't have the exact same styles, but fairly similar. It'd be amazing if they pan out to be all star 1st pairings.
That's what we're all dreaming for, but I think the more likely scenario is a solid second pairing. Their games compliment one another tremendously.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
You realize MAB is extremely small while Sproul is 6'4"...if anything his game could be like Cody Franson...that would be if nothing else develops well.
Franson isnt a bad comparison, thats more of his middle to lower end I would think based on the offense hes putting up this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
I hate that comparison. Ouellet is the steady defensive guy like what Suter would be, except Ouellet is the more rugged of the 2. Sproul just has a big shot and puts up offense but isnt really physical.

Could they both be top pairing guys? Maybe but I wouldnt get your hopes up

Old
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Anth93

Franson is a great comparison.

Fortunately for Wings fans, Franson's ability doesn't reflect how he's played in TO. Completely mishandled for the last two years.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Karamazov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Franson is a great comparison.

Fortunately for Wings fans, Franson's ability doesn't reflect how he's played in TO. Completely mishandled for the last two years.
I think the Franson comparison might be apt, except that Sproul's skating (in my opinion) is far superior to Franson's.

Karamazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Hopefully for the Wings he turns out to be better than Franson who could barely hack it in the SEL.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Brock

People in this thread seem to be talking about Sproul like he's some major defensive liability. Is he a perfect defender? Absolutely not, few CHL blueliners are. Is he a valuable two-way player? Yes.

Sproul is the type of defender who loves to take chances. He's VERY active off the rush and because of this, he can occasionally get pinned deep. But his above average skating ability usually allows him to get back to cover his position. There's no question that he'll have to refine his offensive tendencies at the next level. But most players do. Many of the elite offensive defenseman to come through the OHL in the past few years (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, etc) have had the tendency to get caught in the offensive zone. The thinking is that they're creating more offense by being aggressive, than they're giving up scoring chances from it. Every once in a while, if you play that way, you'll get burned. But it certainly helps when you skate like Sproul does (or the above guys do). All three of the above guys (save maybe Hamilton who's still learning) refined their offensive approaches to pick their spots better. Sproul will have to learn to do the same and I have faith that he will.

In the defensive end, Sproul defends off the rush quite well. His size and mobility make him a tough beat to the net. He could certainly stand to play more physical one on one, but he's much more of a stick checker. Many defenseman in the NHL are effective using this method. In the corners is where Sproul doesn't hesitate to use his size. He will fight for loose pucks and he will put his man down hard if he has to. I think that once he enters the pro game, this aggressive aspect to his game will only grow more (judging by the feedback I've gotten about his performances at the Red Wings prospect camps).

The area that he needs to work on is his coverage in the zone, and his ability to tie up forwards near the crease. The former is something he's been working on since he entered the OHL and it's an area he has made progress in. He does occasionally make poor reads and can occasionally get caught in no man's land watching the play unfold. But this is something that can be taught. The later (tying up forwards) is an area that should develop with added strength. He'll need to play more physical near the crease at the next level to survive. And more often then net, bigger defenseman rise to this challenge.

I've long been a massive fan of Sproul and the potential he possesses. Those comparing him to the likes of MA Bergeron have no idea what type of player he is. He's definitely a very underrated prospect.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:37 PM
shello
@WShello9

3 point night so far tonight.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
People in this thread seem to be talking about Sproul like he's some major defensive liability. Is he a perfect defender? Absolutely not, few CHL blueliners are. Is he a valuable two-way player? Yes.

Sproul is the type of defender who loves to take chances. He's VERY active off the rush and because of this, he can occasionally get pinned deep. But his above average skating ability usually allows him to get back to cover his position. There's no question that he'll have to refine his offensive tendencies at the next level. But most players do. Many of the elite offensive defenseman to come through the OHL in the past few years (Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hamilton, etc) have had the tendency to get caught in the offensive zone. The thinking is that they're creating more offense by being aggressive, than they're giving up scoring chances from it. Every once in a while, if you play that way, you'll get burned. But it certainly helps when you skate like Sproul does (or the above guys do). All three of the above guys (save maybe Hamilton who's still learning) refined their offensive approaches to pick their spots better. Sproul will have to learn to do the same and I have faith that he will.

In the defensive end, Sproul defends off the rush quite well. His size and mobility make him a tough beat to the net. He could certainly stand to play more physical one on one, but he's much more of a stick checker. Many defenseman in the NHL are effective using this method. In the corners is where Sproul doesn't hesitate to use his size. He will fight for loose pucks and he will put his man down hard if he has to. I think that once he enters the pro game, this aggressive aspect to his game will only grow more (judging by the feedback I've gotten about his performances at the Red Wings prospect camps).

The area that he needs to work on is his coverage in the zone, and his ability to tie up forwards near the crease. The former is something he's been working on since he entered the OHL and it's an area he has made progress in. He does occasionally make poor reads and can occasionally get caught in no man's land watching the play unfold. But this is something that can be taught. The later (tying up forwards) is an area that should develop with added strength. He'll need to play more physical near the crease at the next level to survive. And more often then net, bigger defenseman rise to this challenge.

I've long been a massive fan of Sproul and the potential he possesses. Those comparing him to the likes of MA Bergeron have no idea what type of player he is. He's definitely a very underrated prospect.
Thanks for the analysis. Since I don't have an opportunity to watch him I wasn't too sure about his defensive game, so it's nice to hear he's at least decent defensively. I think the Wings will let him take his time in Grand Rapids as he develops his defensive game, unless his offense alone earns him a roster spot. Hopefully i'll get to see him in the AHL playoffs. Who would you compare Sproul to?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

5 point night. 2 goals, 3 primary assists. Helluva game.

Defensive scoring leader is Ceci with 47 points in 52 games.

Sproul is second with 46 points in 33 games.

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 02-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
ricky0034

Quote:

1.39 ppg and other than him and Hamilton(who's at 1.28) the only other guy who's even at 1 is Matt Petgrave who is at 1 ppg exactly

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Brock

Quote:

His points per game is tops in the entire CHL for defenseman. And by a pretty large margin.

And to answer the above question about a comparison. I don't have one. Not a fan of them in most cases.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
His points per game is tops in the entire CHL for defenseman. And by a pretty large margin.

And to answer the above question about a comparison. I don't have one. Not a fan of them in most cases.
I heard somewhere that his favorite player is Mike Green from the Capitals. Judging by the goal scoring I'd say that he plays somewhat like him, but don't quote me on it.

Is there a chance he could win CHL defenseman of the year? Fellow Wings prospect Xavier Ouellet from the QMJHL is also in the running and I'm sure there are a few other great candidates. It would be cool for the Wings if Sproul and Ouellet both win there respective league's defenseman of the year award.