HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 04:06 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
****, trade for him now, before he seems what waiving his NTC would mean . . .

Seriously, Pens have the pieces Calgary would want. Iginla can give you 3-4 more good years (guy is a horse).

And, I'll repeat something that I wrote before: When it comes to getting Sid his winger, only Geno and Neal are completely off limits.
Agree on all counts. Hopefully he is made available and agrees to be traded.

And with Iginla, you're not breaking the bank to re-sign him as you would be with a guy like Perry. I think ideally you'd bring him in at the deadline (or whenever Feaster admits he needs to throw in the towel on the season) and then discuss a one-year deal to come back for next season. That allows for the most flexibility to lock up Malkin and Letang long-term.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Dupree13

I'd love Iginla, but such a move wouldn't come without downside risk. For one there's the cost to acquire him. I'm sure they'd push for Despres or Bennett as the centerpiece and that'd be pretty hard to do (especially Despres which I wouldn't do).

Then re-signing him can't be guaranteed but if you do, at what price? You're not getting him at some discount one year deal, that's out of the question. So how long and how much for a 35 year old? He may not be declining as of now but at that age it could happen any time. You might end up paying a guy for production levels that he's not bringing. And if the contract is 4-5 years, by the end it could be brutal. So while I'd be very interested in Iggy and think he'd be a great fit, those things all must be weighed.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Pancakes

I will say I've watched a bit of Calgary this year, and Iggy can definitely still play at a fairly high level. He can't carry a team any more but I think he'd be rejuvenated playing with our centers.

He'd also be perfect for our powerplay since he'd give us a right handed shot that is willing to shoot (*cough* Letang *cough*)

Old
02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
WVP

Iginla would solve a lot of problems. Including a RH shot on the PP.

And next season:

Bennett - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Problems solved.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I see the Iginla pipe dream is still in full force. Even if I were to hypothetically accept the notion of an Iginla trade, there's not a chance in hell we could re-sign him to a one-year contract. IF Iggy agrees to leave Cgy, I seriously doubt he's going to leave and then not want some long-term security (like a 3-4 year deal) with his new club.

You have to understand what Iginla means to that franchise, and then you can start addressing what it would take/mean to land him. He's their Lemieux. He's their Yzerman. He's 'the man', and there's no one close. Trading him risks losing corporate sponsors. That doesn't happen with 95% of traded players in the NHL.

So, while in hockey terms you may think dealing for Iginla would be easier than dealing for Perry, it's actually the opposite. Perry is one of a few building blocks in Anaheim, not the guy flying solo in terms of being the face of the franchise. The Ducks may decide to keep Getlaf and deal Perry. While they'd take a hit by losing one of their top guys, they still have others there to pick up the slack. Taking Iginla away from Calgary is a MUCH BIGGER deal.

On top of everything else I said, the Flames are now trying to push for a new arena. Do you think trading Iggy gets them closer to their goal?

I will continue to say that Iginla is a pipe dream and if we make the same mistake we made with Parise and Hossa, we'll once again wind up empty-handed.

And to be honest, I think my preference for Crosby's line would be to sign Clowe as his LW and protector, and stick Bennett on the right side. I'd love to have Corey Perry, obviously, but unless we trade for him I don't think we will be able to court him enough in free agency.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
mpp9

I'd be fine with signing Iginla to a 3-4 year deal. He'll be an elite player throughout that deal. If what we give Calgary jump starts their rebuild, it's not that far fetched.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
i'd be fine with signing iginla to a 3-4 year deal. He'll be an elite player throughout that deal. If what we give calgary jump starts their rebuild, it's not that far fetched.
what rebuild?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

On the Pred's board, it seems that Craig Smith is struggling mightily and his icetime has decreased drastically as a result. He's righthanded, young and offensively gifted with a decent build.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1334315

Tangradi - Smith swap??

Too bad its not Wilson. I would've loved to see him on Sid's right side.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
what rebuild?
We don't know what their ownership/management plans to do this season. I think Iginla's contract ending and another poor performance will change the dynamic there.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
what rebuild?
They need a re-build. Whether they accept that or not remains to be seen.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
specialized

Here is a easy way to resign Iginla, all we would have to do is deal Fleury and resign Vokoun for another 2 mil per year. That should be more than enough cap room....

Old
02-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
Here is a easy way to resign Iginla, all we would have to do is deal Fleury and resign Vokoun for another 2 mil per year. That should be more than enough cap room....
Lol.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

The Flames could rebuild AND keep Iginla. We need to accept that notion. Even when the Penguins were rebuilding, Mario Lemieux was still here. Yes, he owned the team. Slight difference. But some guys are part of the fabric of an organization. And Iginla IS the Calgary Flames.

Does he wanna be Ray Bourque? Perhaps. But so far, there has been no evidence that either side is ready to move on.

So, it remains a pipe dream.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
On the Pred's board, it seems that Craig Smith is struggling mightily and his icetime has decreased drastically as a result. He's righthanded, young and offensively gifted with a decent build.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1334315

Tangradi - Smith swap??

Too bad its not Wilson. I would've loved to see him on Sid's right side.
Is Wilson still in Trotz's doghouse though? If so, he could be an option.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 545
Quote:
I see the Iginla pipe dream is still in full force. Even if I were to hypothetically accept the notion of an Iginla trade, there's not a chance in hell we could re-sign him to a one-year contract. IF Iggy agrees to leave Cgy, I seriously doubt he's going to leave and then not want some long-term security (like a 3-4 year deal) with his new club.

You have to understand what Iginla means to that franchise, and then you can start addressing what it would take/mean to land him. He's their Lemieux. He's their Yzerman. He's 'the man', and there's no one close. Trading him risks losing corporate sponsors. That doesn't happen with 95% of traded players in the NHL.

So, while in hockey terms you may think dealing for Iginla would be easier than dealing for Perry, it's actually the opposite. Perry is one of a few building blocks in Anaheim, not the guy flying solo in terms of being the face of the franchise. The Ducks may decide to keep Getlaf and deal Perry. While they'd take a hit by losing one of their top guys, they still have others there to pick up the slack. Taking Iginla away from Calgary is a MUCH BIGGER deal.
All true. Ownership has said they refuse to sign off on Feaster selling off assets for a "rebuild." The only way Iginla is traded is if he asks to be moved for a cup run, and then the bidding war will be huge. I could easily see him signing a 2-3 year deal if he was traded as well depending on how he fit in with his new team. But to pry him out of Calgary will be a costly. It will take the Pens first rounder for sure, plus at least one of the Pens top defensmen prospects and another prospect. People will complain that the price is too high, but Pittsburgh would not be the only team wanting him and teams like the Bruins and Rangers arent just going to sit back and allow Shero to try and pick him up without driving up the price.

The Pens in my opinion should look at Stempniak instead. Hes is a shooter and has a good knack for getting into open space. Would be a good cheap pickup for Sid's right wing.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
They need a re-build. Whether they accept that or not remains to be seen.
They drafted a random high school kid in the 1st round, so I doubt they will.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Rather than start a new thread about it, let me ask this here:

Even if ZB works out - and he's obviously going to turn into a 70-pt winger - Pens still need one more top-6 winger in my opinion. That's likely going to come from moving a Dman, so who would you prefer to move?

Martin, Niskanen, Despres, Morrow, DP, Harrington, or Dumoulin?

Assumptions: Letang is untouchable and Engo, Lovejoy, and Bort aren't bringing in anyone high end. Orpik I guess isn't untouchable, but he's unique in the skill set he brings.

Last edited by IcedCapp: 02-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Rather than start a new thread about it, let me ask this here:

Even if Boychuk works out - and he's obviously going to turn into a 70-pt winger - Pens still need one more top-6 winger in my opinion. That's likely going to come from moving a Dman, so who would you prefer to move?

Martin, Niskanen, Despres, Morrow, DP, Harrington, or Dumoulin?

Assumptions: Letang is untouchable and Engo, Lovejoy, and Bort aren't bringing in anyone high end. Orpik I guess isn't untouchable, but he's unique in the skill set he brings.
DP or Dumoulin in my opinion. Martin has looked way better then last year so far. Harrington fills a need that no other prospect does. Morrow is a PP QB this team needs and Niskanen/Despres are both nice cheap top 4 options. I think Martin will be moved eventually and probably when Malkin and Letang need new contracts, but this would not be a good year to move him if the Penguins are serious about going far in the playoffs.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Malkinstheman

I really want us to waive lovejoy and bring harrington in for 5 games. Shouls be a great confidence booster and lets us see if he can make the jump to the nhl or needs to go to the ahl..

Old
02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think Niskanen would be the least painful to lose long-term since he doesn't have star potential. We'd only be watching him play at best solid somewhere else. Despres, Morrow or Pouliot may become busts but they all have a real chance to be superstar D-Men in the league too. It will be more painful to watch them on another team if they pan out. Of course they could go Espo and we'll think thank God we at least got something for that bust . If we get a long-term solution at wing we probably won't care even if the D we give up pans out though.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Malkinstheman

Im starting to get worried, next year we will only have 4 million in cap space to sign letang, malkin and get top 4 defencemen/wingers.. We could trade martin or orpik but that would just make us a weaker team.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Im starting to get worried, next year we will only have 4 million in cap space to sign letang, malkin and get top 4 defencemen/wingers.. We could trade martin or orpik but that would just make us a weaker team.
I think Martin will be gone. We will need to fill his shoes/skates but this is when hoarding all these D prospects needs to pay off by having younger, cheaper alternatives.

Hope like hell Martin keeps his play up too. We may even get something decent for him in trade if he does.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
mpp9

Martin will be long gone by the time Geno/Tanger's contracts count against the cap.

Who would you rather keep this season? Martin or Niskanen.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Martin will be long gone by the time Geno/Tanger's contracts count against the cap.

Who would you rather keep this season? Martin or Niskanen.
Martin because I think he plays a bigger role. Letang is our lowest maintenance D-Man even with his early season slump. A lot of guys can look good next to him. Martin is being asked to play a shutdown role and so far is doing very well with it.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
All true. Ownership has said they refuse to sign off on Feaster selling off assets for a "rebuild." The only way Iginla is traded is if he asks to be moved for a cup run, and then the bidding war will be huge. I could easily see him signing a 2-3 year deal if he was traded as well depending on how he fit in with his new team. But to pry him out of Calgary will be a costly. It will take the Pens first rounder for sure, plus at least one of the Pens top defensmen prospects and another prospect. People will complain that the price is too high, but Pittsburgh would not be the only team wanting him and teams like the Bruins and Rangers arent just going to sit back and allow Shero to try and pick him up without driving up the price.

The Pens in my opinion should look at Stempniak instead. Hes is a shooter and has a good knack for getting into open space. Would be a good cheap pickup for Sid's right wing.
Let me put it this way. Iginla controls where he goes, (NMC) and he probably has a few places in mind should he choose to leave, but when he does choose that one team essentially closes off bidding wars. It's the old saying, why hamper the club you're now going to try and win a cup with.

Shero might be tough when it comes to trading, but he'll do a fair hockey trade.

One of our top prospects of their choosing minus, Despres(we need him right now), Tangradi, 1st 2013.

Why not try for Iginla & Babchuk package? Babchuk is nearing return from his shoulder injury. Maybe a throw in? Losing Tangradi opens the spot for, Iginla, and Despres can be sent down once Niskanen is back, and they waive, Lovejoy.

Babchuk is UFA after this season so he won't effect any of their key signings this up coming season after this one. We're talking bottom pairing here for depth.

Quote:
News: Babchuk (shoulder) practiced Thursday and is nearing a return from his injury, the Calgary Herald reports. (Fri Jan 25)

Spin: Babchuk injured his shoulder playing overseas. It remains to be seen how much of a role he'll play when he comes back, as he was a healthy scratch much of last season.

Closed Thread