Notices

Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - 1/31/13 - Part III

Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
This is very true. I personally wanted them to improve that spot by getting a top 6 type player and pushing down one of the current top 6 to the 3rd line but it didn't happen. Once they didn't make a move like that, they should have been looking for more than Caron or Bourque to fill that role, but again, they stood pat. Pretty hard to take, especially when you hear PC talking about how their cap situation is pretty good right now. Hopefully they do something at the deadline, but I'm not counting on it.
I thought you were opposed to such moves

I think you underrate the top 6, it's solid one of the best in the league and proven.

They need a good 3rd line winger, not because of the top6, but because of the dispersal of ice time and the system.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I thought you were opposed to such moves

I think you underrate the top 6, it's solid one of the best in the league and proven.

They need a good 3rd line winger, not because of the top6, but because of the dispersal of ice time and the system.
Against it? Not me. I wanted them to make a run at Nash last year and in the off season when it was clear he was going to be moved. I also wanted them to go hard after Ryan if Nash wasn't someone who interested them.

It's very good. Not saying it isn't at all. I'm just saying that if you look at the top 6 of the other cup contending teams, the B's ceilings aren't as high. The trade off is that they've always said the bottom 6 was better than all the other teams. In this case though, it clearly isn't.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:44 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Um, that's kinda why Toronto sucks?

Old
02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
To be fair it also has a lot to do with their top 6, their D and their shoddy goaltending as well

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
So... why the about playing the Leafs down a couple of fourth liners?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
patty59

Quote:
Against it? Not me. I wanted them to make a run at Nash last year and in the off season when it was clear he was going to be moved. I also wanted them to go hard after Ryan if Nash wasn't someone who interested them.

It's very good. Not saying it isn't at all. I'm just saying that if you look at the top 6 of the other cup contending teams, the B's ceilings aren't as high. The trade off is that they've always said the bottom 6 was better than all the other teams. In this case though, it clearly isn't.
I still think you're selling them short on the Top6, they got 6 guys in that group who will average over 60pts and around 25 goals, not many teams have that.

I don't think they need a top line guy, it would be nice to get one, but not a necessity. They need a Ryder-type for that line again.

It would have to be a pretty big name guy to bump a guy out of the top 6.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A big part of the Bruin's game is built on intimidation. Without Thornton, that certainly drops a couple of levels. It's not like you want Lucic to go to the box for 5 minutes a clip for standing up to a goon like Orr. That's a horrible trade off. I think that's the point Lou is trying to make.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
patty59

Quote:
A big part of the Bruin's game is built on intimidation. Without Thornton, that certainly drops a couple of levels. It's not like you want Lucic to go to the box for 5 minutes a clip for standing up to a goon like Orr. That's a horrible trade off. I think that's the point Lou is trying to make.
It also means more minutes for the top lines, which isn't that great in an accelerated season, although they got 3 days after this one, so that's good.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
I disagree that it's Thornton that spurs that image. The B's game and the core of their identity isn't about staged fights, which is really what Thornton takes care of. It's about playing a heavy game, and having each others backs and they don't need Thornton in the line up for that. MacD can adequately fill in short term.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
It also means more minutes for the top lines, which isn't that great in an accelerated season, although they got 3 days after this one, so that's good.
Thornton has average 4:52 of ice time so far this year.

Paille will be missed for sure though, particularly on the PK.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
I disagree that it's Thornton that spurs that image. The B's game and the core of their identity isn't about staged fights, which is really what Thornton takes care of. It's about playing a heavy game, and having each others backs and they don't need Thornton in the line up for that. MacD can adequately fill in short term.
I'm not saying that Thornton spurs that image on, I'm saying he's there if and when someone has to back it up. The Bruins still have a few guys who can throw, or are at least willing, but nobody there is on par with what you'd call a true heavyweight. Most teams will understand this and use it to their advantage. Just watch. Teams would love to trade their goon for Lucic, and since he's really the defacto tough guy without Thornton, he's going to get challenged more.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Thornton has average 4:52 of ice time so far this year.

Paille will be missed for sure though, particularly on the PK.
If you go back and look at TOI stats in the past when the Bruins play weaker teams like the Leafs, you will notice that CJ plays his bottom 6 pretty heavily. I doubt Tardiff or Macdermid are going to be eating many minutes. It's going to be a 3 line team for the most part.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I still think you're selling them short on the Top6, they got 6 guys in that group who will average over 60pts and around 25 goals, not many teams have that.

I don't think they need a top line guy, it would be nice to get one, but not a necessity. They need a Ryder-type for that line again.

It would have to be a pretty big name guy to bump a guy out of the top 6.
I'm not selling them short at all. I think they're really good, but there's a huge difference between them and the other top teams. Also, who averages 25 goals per year? Bergeron has only scored more than 22 once in his career and that was 8 years ago. Krejci never has. Horton is good, but his health is still a huge question mark. Lucic has done it the last two years, so he's been pretty consistent. Seguin did it last year, but so far this year he's off to slow start. Marchand has done it once, so it's hardly a lock for them all to average 25 goals when only two have done so more than once, and one of those guys is coming off his second major concussion in the last year and a half.

So sure, they're good, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking they truly match up with the other teams elite type of players in terms of their actual ceiling. They don't. Which is why their bottom 6 have to be better than everyone else, and why these injuries to that group are going to possibly expose them a bit, IMO.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm not worried about beating Toronto... Just wondering how the Bruins team adapts, that's all..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
TCL40

I think Paille will be missed most on the PK. He brings great energy and speed to his game, but he is a key part of the PK. If the guy had hands he would lead the league every year in short handed goals.

Hopefully there isn't anything seriously wrong and he will be back to play against the Habs (although he might have a cage).

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think Paille will be missed most on the PK. He brings great energy and speed to his game, but he is a key part of the PK. If the guy had hands he would lead the league every year in short handed goals.

Hopefully there isn't anything seriously wrong and he will be back to play against the Habs (although he might have a cage).
Yup, exactly.

In all of the Thornton bruhaha, Paille's injury is being overlooked. Both play unique and important roles on this team, and Paille's skillset is used more consistantly than Thornton's, and is more difficult to "replace" IMO.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
jmeehan1985

I read all the comments from all the fans from Buffalo and other teams and from one game seemed like Buffalo won the cup last night. It's a long season and we play them another 6 or 7 times and by seasons end I'm sure we will be at the top of the division again.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:20 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Yup, exactly.

In all of the Thornton bruhaha, Paille's injury is being overlooked. Both play unique and important roles on this team, and Paille's skillset is used more consistantly than Thornton's, and is more difficult to "replace" IMO.
It's like Axelsson back in the day. The guy brings no flash and makes a negative impact on the surface, because his speed and smarts create offensive chances, but his lack of offensive skill means he flubs them. If he didn't create the chances and just played solid D, people would probably like him more...ironic. Paille being out will no doubt be a much bigger hit to the Bruins than Thornton.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeehan1985 View Post
I read all the comments from all the fans from Buffalo and other teams and from one game seemed like Buffalo won the cup last night. It's a long season and we play them another 6 or 7 times and by seasons end I'm sure we will be at the top of the division again.

I LOVE THAT THIS IS THEIR CUP.

If you travel to the Marchand thread, the Hamilton thread, the Thornton thread, jack Edwards threads its all filled with fan bases that hate the bruins.

Do you know why they hate the bruins? Because the bruins at one point or another have completely embarrassed them. Perhaps with an epic trade, or a playoff upset, or our power forward destroying their "tough guy" Dman's career, or outlasting them in the cup finals.

They all have an axe to grind and I for one ABSOLUTELY love their hate. We earned it, rejoice, and hope that there is plenty more "earning" going on.

When a bruins thread goes up and the first 5-6 responses are bitter fans who have been seething at the opportunity to be happy at the bruins expense for years I can't help but chuckle at their "release".

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotedToughGuyDKrejci View Post
It's like Axelsson back in the day. The guy brings no flash and makes a negative impact on the surface, because his speed and smarts create offensive chances, but his lack of offensive skill means he flubs them. If he didn't create the chances and just played solid D, people would probably like him more...ironic. Paille being out will no doubt be a much bigger hit to the Bruins than Thornton.
Surely you jest. PJ Axelsson having a negative impact in the ice......notsureifserious.jpg

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post

If you travel to the Marchand thread, the Hamilton thread, the Thornton thread, jack Edwards threads its all filled with fan bases that hate the bruins.

Do you know why they hate the bruins? Because the bruins at one point or another have completely embarrassed them. Perhaps with an epic trade, or a playoff upset, or our power forward destroying their "tough guy" Dman's career, or outlasting them in the cup finals.

They all have an axe to grind and I for one ABSOLUTELY love their hate. We earned it, rejoice, and hope that there is plenty more "earning" going on.

When a bruins thread goes up and the first 5-6 responses are bitter fans who have been seething at the opportunity to be happy at the bruins expense for years I can't help but chuckle at their "release".

Good ... goooood ...

Old
02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:

And I question why some of these threads are even open.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM
patty59

Quote:
I'm not selling them short at all. I think they're really good, but there's a huge difference between them and the other top teams. Also, who averages 25 goals per year? Bergeron has only scored more than 22 once in his career and that was 8 years ago. Krejci never has. Horton is good, but his health is still a huge question mark. Lucic has done it the last two years, so he's been pretty consistent. Seguin did it last year, but so far this year he's off to slow start. Marchand has done it once, so it's hardly a lock for them all to average 25 goals when only two have done so more than once, and one of those guys is coming off his second major concussion in the last year and a half.

So sure, they're good, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking they truly match up with the other teams elite type of players in terms of their actual ceiling. They don't. Which is why their bottom 6 have to be better than everyone else, and why these injuries to that group are going to possibly expose them a bit, IMO.
Who are these other teams? Go look at their production from last season and tell me there's a huge difference there.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
And I question why some of these threads are even open.
i'd get into the depth of the hate... But my new years resolution is to be infraction free before the playoffs.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
jmeehan1985

Quote:

I agree 100 percent

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote