HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NFL fans by county

Old
01-29-2013, 11:33 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The "errors" are the fact that Facebook is predominately for young people. So if you want to do a survey that doesn't include nearly anyone over 40 in the data, than this is a great one.
People over 40 don't matter, everyone knows that...

If anything, a younger-skewing group would make for more crisp and clean territorial divisions I would think, as newer teams tend to have fanbases that skew younger and older fans might have allegiances from a pre-expansion era, such as Bears and Lions fans in Indiana and Redskins fans in Maryland and Cowboys fans in Houston/Arizona.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I think the youth skew is a factor... going back to the NW Ohio aberration (the most noticeable on the map given the geography and ages of the teams involved), I'd guess the lack of success by the Lions, Browns and Bengals has created a situation where younger people gravitated toward the Steelers (a team who will be on local TV often, being in a division with both in-state teams).

I'd also point out that this probably skews heavily toward urbanized counties... how many Steelers fans do you suspect there actually are in southern Oregon? I know there had to be some kind of data cutoff, but that's another little anomaly that sticks out to me. Kern County, California (home of Bakersfield) going to the Cowboys is also weird, probably a situation where, as Danishh speculated, the Cowboys had a plurality by a small percentage.

If I had to extrapolate any meaning from this, it's the NFL should nudge the Raiders toward LA but that the Chargers already have enough of a foothold in that metro area (taking Orange and Riverside Counties). Otherwise, it just confirms what we already knew: Steelers, Packers and Cowboys crush the rest.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:01 AM
HabsByTheBay

Do people forget how poorly supported the Raiduhs were in SoCal during their time there? They were consistently a 10 win team, won a Super Bowl right away in fact, and used to have 15,000 empty non-tarped off seats at all of their games.

I firmly believe SoCal would much rather have the Rams back.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Fair spread for the Steelers.

What's this new facebook graph search though?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I'd also point out that this probably skews heavily toward urbanized counties... how many Steelers fans do you suspect there actually are in southern Oregon?
Troy Polamalu's home county in Oregon is the only one in that state that favors the Steelers. Once he is out of the league, the county will probably flip to Seattle or San Francisco.

Nuclear SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
just noticed that jets fans are only the majority in brooklyn and queens. Smallest home turf in the league.
While it may be small in area, the millions of fans in those two boroughs alone outnumber plenty of other teams.

01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

It could go the other way, teams getting much more national attention will pick up casual likes (like Dallas in Idaho)

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Petey21

That's a cool map. Would be fun to see an NHL version too, and an international version showing what teams people in different countries like.

And the white counties are what, uninhabited?

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21 View Post
That's a cool map. Would be fun to see an NHL version too, and an international version showing what teams people in different countries like.

And the white counties are what, uninhabited?
Some counties have really low populations. Several Kansas counties have a lower population than they had in the 1800s and fewer people per square mile (or km for the rest of the world) than was considered the boundary between Wild West and civilized, closed frontier. There's a huge county in central Nevada. It's the size of Massachusetts yet has only 12,000 people. They may have fewer Facebook users than whatever the cutoff point they used for considering it valid, or maybe those counties didn't even see 1 vote on Facebook.

That big county in Montana that's white? Population: 1206. Those 2 white counties on the far west end of Nebraska? 1311 & 690. 690? My junior high had more people than that, maybe even my grade school. And I'm sure most urban & suburban high schools have way more than 1311 (in the US, they seem to run in the 2000s to low 3000s range best I can tell).

And let me add, the population table should give people a good sense of the population of different states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Do people forget how poorly supported the Raiduhs were in SoCal during their time there? They were consistently a 10 win team, won a Super Bowl right away in fact, and used to have 15,000 empty non-tarped off seats at all of their games.

I firmly believe SoCal would much rather have the Rams back.
The Raiders were really, really popular with the black and hispanic communities in SoCal as well as young people. The generation who grew up with the Rams being in Anaheim were too young to have any buying power while the Raiders were in LA, but they overwhelmingly go for the Raiders.

It'll all be moot when the Chargers move there anyway

Old
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Jax1166

I wish

we could get an up close zoom in to help understand the Northeast better.

This is partially skewed because this is a young demographic.
The biggest problems I see are the Steelers prescence in Ohio and the Patriots owning all but Fairfield County in CT.

As a CT native, this is wrong. The Red Sox don't even make up a majority in the state, much less the Pats according to a Quinnipiac survey.

Many Red Sox fans are Giants fans since the Giants were around earlier. So New Haven, Litchfield, Middlesex, and maybe New London/Hartford are Giants.

The Giants are by far more popular in CT than the maps shows.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Renbarg

The Jets were only able to get Nassau county

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
IIRC Pittsburgh media has a solid presence just outside of Cleveland; I'm a bit surprised that the influence extends to Cincinnati though.

And are all those yellow counties in the Carolinas Steelers territory too?
it signifies the number of transplants, doesn't surprise me for the Triangle area (Raleigh) now that I think about it, there are so many people that live there that were not born in North Carolina

historically (pre-Panthers) we were Redskins country

one thing is like the person said for the Cardinals in Arizona, it's whichever team has the most fans, not necessarily a majority

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
you guys read the link? 35million data points, or one in ten americans. That should mitigate the risks of any of the suggested "errors" that have been claimed in this thread. Obviously he used some sort of minimum cutoff too, as you see a bunch of white spots and i highly doubt a single county in america has zero data from this.

the only legitimate qualm I can see is that it only shows the most popular team, so while the jets, for example, have a ton of fans in new york, on long island, and in new jersey, they are only represented on this map by brooklyn and queens. Another example would be ohio, where that massive steelers block (and the NW corner abberation) probably only represents something like 35% steelers 33% browns 33% bengals.
My professional field is in math and statistics....

There is a sh!tload of sampling bias here that statistically it doesnt mean anything. This skews to an under 35 demographic. there may be no control over people double voting. For example some people create multiple facebook accts..one personal, another professional, or fake.

this is a flat out popularity contest by facebook. It doesnt show 2nd or 3rd place clubs.

Thus there are problems in two market teams like NYC, SF/OAK , and DC/BALT.

Without doing this survey I could have told you 95+% of the map based on markets and histrocial TV distribution patterns.

for example Montana is heavy Denver in AFC but split between Seattle, Minnesota, and green Bay.

Cities like Des Moines or Omaha are split multiple ways because of nearby teams in Minnesota, Green Bay, St Louis, Chicago, KC, and Denver.

some of the counties in Montana are very sparse so them not getting any date is very conceivable.

Not everywhere in the country can you get interet access. there are alot of rural places its very difficult to get internet. 3G/4G doesnt exist....thus only through Satelitte coverage then wifi can you get it.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
it signifies the number of transplants, doesn't surprise me for the Triangle area (Raleigh) now that I think about it, there are so many people that live there that were not born in North Carolina

historically (pre-Panthers) we were Redskins country

one thing is like the person said for the Cardinals in Arizona, it's whichever team has the most fans, not necessarily a majority

during the 70s where football became popular acrosss the country the national following tended to follow and be created with the good football teams at the time..Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Dallas wer perenial playoff teams. Thus they have a national fan base.

Local connections to teams/players skew favoritism. For example Aaron roders is from Chico, CA so there is a strong fan base rooting for Green Bay because of him.

On the SE coast of Florida (West Palm, and Ft lauderdale) you have a bunch of retirees who are 65+ thus they grew up old football fans of the giants. Now retired they want to see as much of those teams as possible. Those markets televize the giants whenever they can without conflicting the Dolphins games.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
If I had to extrapolate any meaning from this, it's the NFL should nudge the Raiders toward LA but that the Chargers already have enough of a foothold in that metro area (taking Orange and Riverside Counties). Otherwise, it just confirms what we already knew: Steelers, Packers and Cowboys crush the rest.
this is true but considering both the Packers and Steelers have been to many (and won) Superbowls and my Cowboys continue to be mediocre

it shows you the staying power of the Cowboys brand...a team that hasn't been elite in 1995

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Guy

I personally think there are more Redskins fans in eastern NC than the Steelers, but it might be close. The Redskins were the local market team before the Panthers came along, and the majority of the Redskins fans I know hate the Panthers for kicking them off the TV every week.

There's a Steelers fan club and "official fan bar" in every town/city of decent size in NC. I'm pretty sure Raleigh has more than one of them. Being a Panthers fan in Raleigh, I can say there's at least 10 teams with more fan support in Raleigh than the Panthers. I can go into a bar on Sunday with 50+ people and be the only Panthers fan there amongst 10+ fans of the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Redskins, etc.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
blamebettman*

Highly misleading...you'd think the Jets have the smallest fanbase in the NFL from this, when in reality they're likely top 10

For instance most of those counties are likely 52-48 Giants...but it gets colored all blue instead of showing the correct proportion. Also you would see the split in Browns/Steelers as well

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Here's the raw numbers

http://deadspin.com/5980852/who-is-a...a-clear-winner

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
Highly misleading...you'd think the Jets have the smallest fanbase in the NFL from this, when in reality they're likely top 10
14th

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Arizona (Cardinals) are tiny despite the market too. Of course, same can be said of Tampa Bay too.

Jacksonville Jaguars are tiny. They might be the team with the smallest fanbase in all 4 pro sports.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

picking Jacksonville over St. Louis is the worst mistake the NFL ever made

I mean, really just an utterly baffling choice

Old
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Glacial

Quote:
picking Jacksonville over St. Louis is the worst mistake the NFL ever made

I mean, really just an utterly baffling choice
There's got to be a story in that.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:57 PM
scotchex

Quote:
14th
Well, it's not like the # of Facebook likes is an accurate measure.
Notice the Washington Redskins are in the middle of the pack, yet are consistently one of the most valuable sports teams on the planet.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote