Notices

Seguin vs Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Charbacca08

vCash: 500
Seguin vs Hamilton

It's been clear over the past couple of years that Tyler Seguin has become very popular as an icon for the Boston Bruins. Now, Dougie Hamilton has captured the imagination of the fans with just six games played wearing the spoked B on his chest.

I Understand that right now in their careers they are at different levels, and play two completely different positions. However, when push comes to shove who do you think will be the bigger superstar 12-15 years from now?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Seguin

Old
02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
This should be interesting...

Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I have a feeling that Hamiltons career has a better chance than Tyler's at being in Boston for longer, I can see Seguin pricing himself out relative to what he brings. If he can't pick it up past what he's done so far this season, that's the path he'll be taking.

That said, I think both will be elite and you don't let guys like that go

Old
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335965

BAM.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Strafer

Hamilton

Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Number8

I think Hamilton has the chance ONLY because of the position he plays. If he can be a big dominant DMan to fill in for Chara as years go by that will be a huge huge addition to any team.

That said, I think Seguin will be a star. Like others said, I hope he doesn't price himself out of Boston. It's easier to lay down big cash for a premier 1D though.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Spoked-B

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.
This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.
Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come

Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come
Umm Orr

Old
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Spoked-B

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.
Ditto.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
This should be interesting...

Ha Ha. Love the Sig.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
smithformeragent