HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Seguin vs Hamilton

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
  #1
Charbacca08
Registered User
 
Charbacca08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Seguin vs Hamilton

It's been clear over the past couple of years that Tyler Seguin has become very popular as an icon for the Boston Bruins. Now, Dougie Hamilton has captured the imagination of the fans with just six games played wearing the spoked B on his chest.

I Understand that right now in their careers they are at different levels, and play two completely different positions. However, when push comes to shove who do you think will be the bigger superstar 12-15 years from now?

Charbacca08 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
  #2
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!
 
bruinswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Seguin

bruinswincup is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
  #3
reidy
@reidjjackson
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlestown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to reidy
This should be interesting...


reidy is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  #4
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,422
vCash: 500
I have a feeling that Hamiltons career has a better chance than Tyler's at being in Boston for longer, I can see Seguin pricing himself out relative to what he brings. If he can't pick it up past what he's done so far this season, that's the path he'll be taking.

That said, I think both will be elite and you don't let guys like that go

KnightofBoston is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  #5
reidy
@reidjjackson
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlestown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to reidy
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.

reidy is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
  #6
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,578
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335965

BAM.

Kaoz is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:45 PM
  #7
Strafer
Registered User
 
Strafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: da Hub
Country: United States
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Hamilton

Strafer is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
  #8
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
I think Hamilton has the chance ONLY because of the position he plays. If he can be a big dominant DMan to fill in for Chara as years go by that will be a huge huge addition to any team.

That said, I think Seguin will be a star. Like others said, I hope he doesn't price himself out of Boston. It's easier to lay down big cash for a premier 1D though.

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  #9
Spoked-B
Registered User
 
Spoked-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.
This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.

Spoked-B is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
  #10
DoubleAAAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.
Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.

DoubleAAAA is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
  #11
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  #12
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!
 
bruinswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come
Umm Orr

bruinswincup is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  #13
Spoked-B
Registered User
 
Spoked-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.
Ditto.

Spoked-B is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
  #14
Afam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
This should be interesting...

Ha Ha. Love the Sig.

Afam* is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
  #15
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
In the words of Luke Skywalker:

"There's something familiar about this place."

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335965

__________________
Don't put metal in the science oven.
smithformeragent is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.