HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rick Nash

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes never been fast. Hes never been physical. Hes had a very very good NHL career by using primarily his hockey IQ and playmaking ability. Those players tend to age well, all things considered.

Having Nash on his wing for the next several years wont hurt either.
Where did I say he was fast or physical? I said he looks a bit slower than last year.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Where did I say he was fast or physical? I said he looks a bit slower than last year.
And you answered your own question being the guy had the flu and missed the majority of that joke the NHL called training camp.

Anyway, thats not the point. The point is, the guy is 32 years old so you can expect him to lose a step or two in the coming years. However, he has a skill set that isnt predicated on physical attributes. I think he'll be a solid contributor for a long time.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
And you answered your own question being the guy had the flu and missed the majority of that joke the NHL called training camp.

Anyway, thats not the point. The point is, the guy is 32 years old so you can expect him to lose a step or two in the coming years. However, he has a skill set that isnt predicated on physical attributes. I think he'll be a solid contributor for a long time.

And I hope he is. I mentioned earlier in the thread I would be a lot bigger fan of Richards' (which is not to say I am unhappy with him) if the errant cross-ice passes on the PP would cease. He is an elite passer and it's maddening how many times he passes the puck back across the blue line when going cross-ice. That may seem nitpicky and it's probably just something that really grinds my gears personally, but for a guy who is going to continue to thrive even when his physical attributes begin to deteriorate, I'd be happy to see those kinds of things cease. Again, I'm perfectly happy with Richards overall, as indicated in virtually every post I've made in this thread, but I just don't think he's as good as some believe.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:06 PM
zelrio*

Quote:

On the topic of Richards' age and contract - I'm still stunned that the latter wasn't vetoed by the league the way Kovalchuk's was.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfSeanAvery View Post
On the topic of Richards' age and contract - I'm still stunned that the latter wasn't vetoed by the league the way Kovalchuk's was.
After Kovalchuk, the league gave clear guidelines on how much circumvention they would allow on future contracts (which was still a lot).

Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
After Kovalchuk, the league gave clear guidelines on how much circumvention they would allow on future contracts (which was still a lot).
richards contract also lasts to an age where there are still nhl players playing. kovys was until he was like 45 years old which is an age that only chelios has played at in last 25 years.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i hate to be the one to say it, but i think he re-aggravated the groin. everything about how he looked in the past two games seems to hint at a lower body injury. he is taking wider steps, he's slower getting off the ice. he doesn't have that explosive stride. he's hobbling without favoring one specific leg. i hope i'm the only one that saw this and that i'm just being paranoid, but it's definitely possible. keep an eye out next game-- specifically at the end of a shift. he also looks like he's testing his legs a lot while he's on the ice. definitely LOOKS like the groin is bothering him

Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Anyone else really disappointed in his shot? Seems like every shot he takes is a dead duck right into the goalie's chest.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Old
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Anyone else really disappointed in his shot? Seems like every shot he takes is a dead duck right into the goalie's chest.
Saw that a couple times last night.

Nash has been creating scoring chances but it means nothing when you don't actually get the puck in the net.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
redfzn

Quote:
I've noticed that since the boston win

Old
02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Playing well, playing hard but geez score a goal already

Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
True. He had a couple of chances last night, but every shot was a chest-seeking missile.

02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Stepanformayor*

This guy is overrated!! 1 goal in 7 games and has played more than anuone on our team.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
NYRangers723

he passes up too mnay shots. look he has played very well on both ends BUT he was brought here to score

Old
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
mschmidt64

I noticed it about more than just Rick Nash.

Every shot we take goes high and center mass.

If you shoot high, it has to be in the corners.

If you are gonna shoot center, make it low for the 5 hole.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
This guy is overrated!! 1 goal in 7 games and has played more than anuone on our team.
CBJ fan here. Welcome to the world of Nash. When he goes into beast mode he can not be stopped. Other times he just goes through the motions.

I was expecting much more out of him as a Ranger. I thought Torts would keep him fired up and in Beast Mode.

Just wait until someone from the other team cheap shots him or checks him real hard. He gets pissed and takes over the game.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Nash has been fine, and his goals will balance out. I still think he'll get 20 for us, at least.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
CBJ fan here. Welcome to the world of Nash. When he goes into beast mode he can not be stopped. Other times he just goes through the motions.

I was expecting much more out of him as a Ranger. I thought Torts would keep him fired up and in Beast Mode.

Just wait until someone from the other team cheap shots him or checks him real hard. He gets pissed and takes over the game.

Good luck with the rest of the season.
The thing is that he isn't just going through the motions. Most nights, he's been by far and away our best player on the ice. Doing everything right, he just hasn't been able to find the back of the net. He's feeling the pressure to score, but saying he's overrated is more than a little bit premature.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The thing is that he isn't just going through the motions. Most nights, he's been by far and away our best player on the ice. Doing everything right, he just hasn't been able to find the back of the net. He's feeling the pressure to score, but saying he's overrated is more than a little bit premature.
i hope he keeps playing well for you.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
zelrio*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Nash has been fine, and his goals will balance out. I still think he'll get 20 for us, at least.
Next year

Old
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
He ain't! He's absolutely the guy we cherish. Problem is Ritchie and Gabs, no chemistry between those three ... because the skill level of Nash is too high ... I'm not even kidding.

Nash is fine

Old
02-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Rangerboy030

I said this in another thread and thus far, it's turned out to be accurate, but acquiring Nash was a mistake; the trade has left us with very little scoring depth throughout the lineup.

Say what you will about Dubinsky's and Anisimov's less than stellar years last season, but the offensive ability they were able to inject into the 3rd line and ability to play top 6 minutes has been and will continue to be sorely missed by this team for this season at least and possibly next as well.

Forward group A:

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Pyatt
Rupp/Asham - Halpern - Boyle

Forward Group B:

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

A > B

Old
02-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerboy030 View Post
I said this in another thread and thus far, it's turned out to be accurate, but acquiring Nash was a mistake; the trade has left us with very little scoring depth throughout the lineup.

Say what you will about Dubinsky's and Anisimov's less than stellar years last season, but the offensive ability they were able to inject into the 3rd line and ability to play top 6 minutes has been and will continue to be sorely missed by this team for this season at least and possibly next as well.

Forward group A:

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Pyatt
Rupp/Asham - Halpern - Boyle

Forward Group B:

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Boyle - Pyatt
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

A > B
Please dont take advantage of this slow start by trying to say that Dubinsky and Anisimov would be any sort of offensive difference makers, or pushing down offensive difference makers, or whatever point you're trying to make due to the slow start.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Rangerboy030

Quote:
Please dont take advantage of this slow start by trying to say that Dubinsky and Anisimov would be any sort of offensive difference makers, or pushing down offensive difference makers, or whatever point you're trying to make due to the slow start.
Please don't deflect my criticism of Sather's personnel decisions with an ad hominem by saying that it must be because of our weak start.

I've had that opinion since we made the trade.

Last edited by Rangerboy030: 02-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I remember when we joked last year that Dubinsky couldn't score in a women's prison with a carton of cigarettes.

Nash will find his goals.