HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Why is this even a story?

And why does this thread have 6 pages of responses?

Unbelievable.
2 choices

Either it's because some of us care and like when players have personality and try to be entertaining to their fans.

Or this

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
RC51

what is so hard to understand people.
MT wants a team. IF he went to the room and asked for a vote on this and even if only a few were against the low five then that's it.
if it makes even one uncomfortable then PK must stop making that TEAM MATE uncomfortable. THAT IS WHAT TEAM MATES DO FOR ONE ANOTHER. It's PK that should have stopped on his own as soon as he saw anybody uncomfortable. If PK did not know that some were uncomfortable then now he does.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
2 choices

Either it's because some of us care and like when players have personality and try to be entertaining to their fans.

Or this

I see.

Here, let me help.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i agree with you for the most part...

but if this is done out of an attempt to lower his "value" to the fans to prepare for an eventual trade, don't you think that would equally lower his value in that regard?

I think it's more just an ego thing on their part (MT/MB). Subban clearly does have a big personality, and MB/MT seem dead set on building the team identity that they want for this organization.

I think Subban will fall in line & that they are underestimating how much he actually does value some of the same things they want to instill in the team. I wonder how much work they did to actually get to know the guy, and how much they've just relied on their own sources...

if they do end up alienating him (and i agree with you that, strong contract stance or not, they've pretty much done everything possible to show their complete lack of appreciation for him as a talented member of their team), it will have been a massive misjudgment on their part, and he'll be just another in a long line of talented athletes we had & then got forced to watch prosper elsewhere.

on the flip side, if they manage to not screw this up, i do like the overall tone they are setting for the team. most strong franchises do have a pretty clear identity that is imposed top-down and that players either buy-in to or get moved.

these guys just need to look beyond skin-deep and realize that this Kid is exactly the kind of talent they need to build a succesfull version of the "team-first" identity they want to build.

on a related note, what do you think therrien's reaction to Subban would be if he made the kind of decisions Markov did vs. the devils the other night...

pinches in aggressively, late in a tie game (or was it already OT), gets caught deep, Devils get a 3-1 from it, Kovalchuk hits the post...

Markov then makes the same play a few minutes later (not getting benched for the first "mistake"), which then results in the game winning goal.

will MT treat Subban with that kind of decision-making freedom, or will he sit him and accuse him of not being a team player for being that aggressive?

That kind of double standard, if it happens, will quickly turn this situation even uglier, cuz i don't see Subban "buying-in" to the notion that he has to be held to a different standard.

i hope MT is smarter than that...
I can be absolutely wrong, but I have a different view of the matter.
It falls in line with the reasoning behind insisting on a short term/low cash contract they signed PK to.

To me, the bridge deal made no sense whatsoever based on talent and potential. Everybody here can pretty much agree that PK is a very good young player, and that he will remain at the very least good with the potential of being excellent. So I have a hard time believing management doesn't see it that way either.
So, if we look at that only, bridge contract makes no sense. Might as well lock him up now for a smaller cap as we know he's a good player, arguably our best.

If we go by what PK said, we also know that Bergevin apparently didn't disagree with the comparable Meehan brought forth. That means they agreed on the value of PK.

If we also consider what PK said about pressure, that they talked about the pressure but PK doesn't feel he can have even more pressure than in the two years he played here, then we know they want to be careful with how they use PK.

That small contract then starts to make sense. They actually want to take their time with PK. Not necessarily put him in the toughest situations right off the bat, let him get comfortable and absolutely dominate weaker opposition. You can't put a player on a 2nd pairing, or even 3rd, but pay him 5M. Also, at that high price, the slightest cold streak and the media would be all over PK.

So I think the idea behind really sticking with a small term contract was to somewhat protect PK and take a step back so they can take two forward. Take the time with him, give him easier minutes, perfect his game, make him dominate.

I think this 3-low five ban follows this train of thought. Michel Therrien worked in the media for quite a bit of time. He knows exactly what the media thinks of PK for having been there behind the scene, where these so called analysts actually say what they think. I think management is just trying to change the image of PK, this over the top flamboyancy. I believe they want him to be more low key and focus on the game more, be on the highlight reel because of the plays you made, not the celebration or trash talk.

So I think, as with the bridge contract, they're actually trying to protect their asset.

That's my take. But, as I said, I can be completely wrong and we might have two bozos running the show.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Rosso Scuderia

The only thing I don't like about this is that he has to come out to the media and they will use that against PK, again. They made a big fuss about the players not wanting to talk about PK's signing now this.

Michel Therrien could have just tell PK and Price not to do it and that's it. I don't see why he had to made this public. We get the "team first" mentality but MT is making PK look bad.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
lamp9post

I like the decision. I am happy enough after a win, the triple low-5 doesn't add anything. PK will learn to channel his enthusiasm to his play on the ice rather than his celebrations when the game is over. The win belongs to the whole team, not just the fan favorites.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
poetryinmotion

Therrien
Should just stick to coaching the on-ice product.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
The only thing I don't like about this is that he has to come out to the media and they will use that against PK, again. They made a big fuss about the players not wanting to talk about PK's signing now this.

Michel Therrien could have just tell PK and Price not to do it and that's it. I don't see why he had to made this public. We get the "team first" mentality but MT is making PK look bad.
Exactly. No big deal.

Blame the media.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Craig71

Look at the names and faces on the walls of the dressing room and see what they accomplished and embrace it. Strive to be like it and then and only then you will be legendary, worthy of acclaim.

I agree with the banning of the triple low five, it was silly, we were a 15th place team, it's meaningless and does nothing for the team.

Bergevin and Therrien are trying to change the culture into a winning one that embraces team first which is the only way to win in this league. It's not about the individual, it's about the team.

I like PK Subban but I also like Rapahel Diaz and Josh Gorges, as a matter of fact, I cheer for the team and not the names on the back, so in my opinion it is the responsibility of the guy wearing that hallowed jersey to give his best for the team and thats the way it has to be.

So pick me apart if you will but that is how I feel and I guess that's how the team feels, and to be honest it's refreshing to see. It is after all the very reason that we are the greatest franchise in the NHL and all of sport for that matter.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
what is so hard to understand people.
MT wants a team. IF he went to the room and asked for a vote on this and even if only a few were against the low five then that's it.
if it makes even one uncomfortable then PK must stop making that TEAM MATE uncomfortable. THAT IS WHAT TEAM MATES DO FOR ONE ANOTHER. It's PK that should have stopped on his own as soon as he saw anybody uncomfortable. If PK did not know that some were uncomfortable then now he does.
Are we dealing with a bunch of 3 year old kids that feel left out of the play ground? Give me an fn break. Way to make PK feel welcome on the team by singling him out for celebrating a win too much.

Can't have any personality on this team, must be a bunch of faceless conformists.

Get a grip.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
wtf is this, hopefully team wont implode.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Look at the names and faces on the walls of the dressing room and see what they accomplished and embrace it. Strive to be like it and then and only then you will be legendary, worthy of acclaim.

I agree with the banning of the triple low five, it was silly, we were a 15th place team, it's meaningless and does nothing for the team.

Bergevin and Therrien are trying to change the culture into a winning one that embraces team first which is the only way to win in this league. It's not about the individual, it's about the team.

I like PK Subban but I also like Rapahel Diaz and Josh Gorges, as a matter of fact, I cheer for the team and not the names on the back, so in my opinion it is the responsibility of the guy wearing that hallowed jersey to give his best for the team and thats the way it has to be.

So pick me apart if you will but that is how I feel and I guess that's how the team feels, and to be honest it's refreshing to see. It is after all the very reason that we are the greatest franchise in the NHL and all of sport for that matter.
On the contrary, Habs management just told us they want to be like everyone else. Leaders standout, they don't melt into the background.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Habtchum*

Folks in the stand don't pay 250$ a ticket to see a celebration between PK and Price.

They pay to see a solid team, playing with guts and WINNING hockey games.

For those who gonna miss this childish celebration, just find a video on YOU TUBE and play in in loop for as long as you wish.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
theschwab13

this is a double edged sword. I like that MT has decided to continue his team philosophy, and i think that setting subban in line will make him the elite player he is destined to be. I think that MT will take all doubt out of peoples mind that subban is selfish and immature. I like this move. It shows its all about the team, and theres no funny stuff. MT is a great coach, who loves his players and gets along with the kids, but doesnt put up with BS at the same time. I dont understand why people don't like this decision? Its better for the team, and IMO Subban. Its a minor thing, but you never know, this may give Subban the mindset that if he wants to be a GREAT player in this league, which he does, that there is no time for fun and games. No excuses. MT FTW.

theschwab13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
pepperMonkey

As mentioned before in another thread, I don't really care less one way or another...but why make the decision public? All that does is make it news bait for the media. Just tell Subban and Price privately and be done with. No reason to make it public as if it is big news.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
On the contrary, Habs management just told us they want to be like everyone else. Leaders standout, they don't melt into the background.
You really think PK is a leader ?

Old
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

I know its not a big deal but when PK was signed, I said I couldnt wait to see him and Price do the triple low five after a win. Not only the fans at the bell love it, but also us watching on a tv screen.

Hey Michel, why so serious?

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
As mentioned before in another thread, I don't really care less one way or another...but why make the decision public? All that does is make it news bait for the media. Just tell Subban and Price privately and be done with. No reason to make it public as if it is big news.
Who said it. Therrien or Price ?

Accroding to RDS reporter on the beat, it's Price who blew it, and then Therrien has to explain it to the media. Otherwise it would had stayed private (kind of...)

Last edited by Habtchum*: 02-01-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post

I agree about wanting to build a team friendly environment but as much as I like the team, it's the players that give me something to cheer for. I would honestly stop watching the team if they played like New Jersey did (and I actually did tune out quite a few games recently due to the boring play). Hockey is supposed to be an exciting sport with great skill. I'm not suggesting that an individual star is what makes the team but without any superstar players, it seems like nothing really wows you and the game can be quite boring. The Ottawa - Montreal game was one of those extremely boring games. No flow to the game, refs seemed to want to control the pace and level of intensity.. made me want to just pass out whether we win or lose.

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Schwang

Hockey is so far behind the times it's not funny. Every other major sport has ridiculous celebrations. The NHL isn't even close, so I don't know why some players and coaches take exception to a little celebrating. If this was the NBA, NFL or MLBB or pro soccer, PK would just be another player and we wouldn't even be talking about him.

This old boys club mentality needs to go. Maybe they would start attracting a broader fan base if they didn't have bugs up their butts.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Like somebody said, only mistake here was that it was known publicly. That's just goes with the rest of the moves made by the organization. The previous years, nobody cared about the logo on the dressing room. This year, nobody can touch it.

I believe it's all about making this team a team, and make PK one of the boys. If he wants to celebrate after a goal, so be it. But making it the center of attraction is probably everything the team and Subban wants to stop being at this point. It could come back in due time. Not that big of a deal. But in Montreal...everything is.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
What BS. Look at the last 5 cup winning captains. Do you think Brown, Chara, Teows, Crosby, Lidstrom have "Standout" personalities? No, they are excellent players who could care less about a post-game celebration. So should you, PK, and Price.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Why is this even a story?

And why does this thread have 6 pages of responses?

Unbelievable.
It's Montreal.

You either have to love whatever the latest news about them is (no matter how insignificant) or hate it. There is no middle.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
You really think PK is a leader ?
Try reading what I said. The poster said the Habs organization stands out. I said Leaders stand out, they don't melt into the background.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
DenverHabsFan

Bunch of selfish players!

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote