HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
pepperMonkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Who said it. Therrien or Price ?

Accroding to RDS reporter on the beat, it's Price who blew it, and then Therrien has to explain it to the media. Otherwise it would had stayed private (kind of...)
Ahh, okay thanks.

pepperMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
What BS. Look at the last 5 cup winning captains. Do you think Brown, Chara, Teows, Crosby, Lidstrom have "Standout" personalities? No, they are excellent players who could care less about a post-game celebration. So should you, PK, and Price.
Some people like you just have an axe to grind about PK. Whatever, anything he will do is not good enough until he scores a few big goals. Then he's god again.

Pathetic.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:22 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Some people like you just have an axe to grind about PK. Whatever, anything he will do is not good enough until he scores a few big goals. Then he's god again.

Pathetic.
Ha! Overreact much?

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Ha! Overreact much?
I repeat. Pathetic.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Sorry to hear that guys.
I always enjoyed their Bromance. =(

He can always come to Edmonton to celly with Yakky.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Sorry to hear that guys.
I always enjoyed their Bromance. =(

He can always come to Edmonton to celly with Yakky.
according to your fellow fans you guys don't need PK

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Shaby23

The kid was having fun and the crowd was waiting for it every time. What a ****ing stupid way to tell Subban to calm down.

Very very bad decision.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
The kid was having fun and the crowd was waiting for it every time. What a ****ing stupid way to tell Subban to calm down.

Very very bad decision.
I agree with you. I was looking forward to it and it has no impact on the ****ing game at all. None what so ever.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:31 PM
DenverHabsFan

Let's hope they don't mess him up and that these are not just distant memories:

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

The whole way the team is treating PK is weird. They really seem to be trying to put him in his place. "I want to make him a better person" "You have to respect the fans"... what's up with that? And the club went out of its way to sign him at a low short contract. Then his teammates are lukewarm about him coming back. And him being held out of the lineup right now just seems like some kind of lesson to me...

Not sure what it is that's going on in the dressing room or why PK is being singled out but it sure as hell seems as though his team is trying to undermine him though. Maybe there are things going on that we don't know about but this sure seems like a strange way to be treating a player that you are looking to as a cornerstone of your future.

Whatever they're trying to do I hope it works because I'm not sure what's broken here and I don't know what it is they're actually trying to fix. I'm still surprised PK signed the contract we put in front of him.

This isn't just about a low five... something bigger is going on behind the scenes. Why announce this publicly?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:37 PM
peate
Good grief!

Not a big deal IMO. It was fun at first but soon got old and predictable. Get over it.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Habsfan18

If there are problems with PK off the ice, fix those.

But on the ice? Just let him be PK ****ing Subban.

02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Now time to put an end to the fan salute at the end games...seems so phony
I agree, after kiddy weekend coming up, shelve it.

Isn't it just a ripoff of the NYR anyway?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
according to your fellow fans you guys don't need PK
We always need PK!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The whole way the team is treating PK is weird. They really seem to be trying to put him in his place. "I want to make him a better person" "You have to respect the fans"... what's up with that? And the club went out of its way to sign him at a low short contract. The his teammates are lukewarm about him coming back. And him being held out of the lineup right now just seems like some kind of lesson to me...

Not sure what it is that's going on in the dressing room or why PK is being singled out but it sure as hell seems as though his team is trying to undermine him though. Maybe there are things going on that we don't know about but this sure seems like a strange way to be treating a player that you are looking to as a cornerstone of your future.

Whatever they're trying to do I hope it works because I'm not sure what's broken here and I don't know what it is they're actually trying to fix. I'm still surprised PK signed the contract we put in front of him.

This isn't just about a low five... something bigger is going on behind the scenes.
I agree with everything said, still the triple low five had to go.

DonnieBrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Hockey isn't supposed to be entertaining. Glad Therrien intends to keep things formal.
Uhh. What is the purpose of hockey (or sports in general) if it doesnt serve precisely entertaining matters?

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I can be absolutely wrong, but I have a different view of the matter.
It falls in line with the reasoning behind insisting on a short term/low cash contract they signed PK to.

To me, the bridge deal made no sense whatsoever based on talent and potential. Everybody here can pretty much agree that PK is a very good young player, and that he will remain at the very least good with the potential of being excellent. So I have a hard time believing management doesn't see it that way either.
So, if we look at that only, bridge contract makes no sense. Might as well lock him up now for a smaller cap as we know he's a good player, arguably our best.

If we go by what PK said, we also know that Bergevin apparently didn't disagree with the comparable Meehan brought forth. That means they agreed on the value of PK.

If we also consider what PK said about pressure, that they talked about the pressure but PK doesn't feel he can have even more pressure than in the two years he played here, then we know they want to be careful with how they use PK.

That small contract then starts to make sense. They actually want to take their time with PK. Not necessarily put him in the toughest situations right off the bat, let him get comfortable and absolutely dominate weaker opposition. You can't put a player on a 2nd pairing, or even 3rd, but pay him 5M. Also, at that high price, the slightest cold streak and the media would be all over PK.

So I think the idea behind really sticking with a small term contract was to somewhat protect PK and take a step back so they can take two forward. Take the time with him, give him easier minutes, perfect his game, make him dominate.

I think this 3-low five ban follows this train of thought. Michel Therrien worked in the media for quite a bit of time. He knows exactly what the media thinks of PK for having been there behind the scene, where these so called analysts actually say what they think. I think management is just trying to change the image of PK, this over the top flamboyancy. I believe they want him to be more low key and focus on the game more, be on the highlight reel because of the plays you made, not the celebration or trash talk.

So I think, as with the bridge contract, they're actually trying to protect their asset.

That's my take. But, as I said, I can be completely wrong and we might have two bozos running the show.
Interesting take. It's not foolish to assume that MB and MT look at Subban and see someone who's biggest enemy might just be himself. I, for one, like his brashness and the trash talking, etc., but from another point of view, these antics may cloud the primary objective: becoming one of the best defencemen in the league.

I like the camaraderie of the TL5, but it's banning might play a small part in the maturation of PK. Along with the bridge contract, putting him on the 2nd PP unit to start, the other players not wanting to answer questions about his return; this might all be MB's strategy for protecting his asset.

I hate it when MGMT try to squeeze the fun out of sports, but it might be the best thing for PK in the long run. Time will tell...

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Like somebody said, only mistake here was that it was known publicly. That's just goes with the rest of the moves made by the organization. The previous years, nobody cared about the logo on the dressing room. This year, nobody can touch it.

I believe it's all about making this team a team, and make PK one of the boys. If he wants to celebrate after a goal, so be it. But making it the center of attraction is probably everything the team and Subban wants to stop being at this point. It could come back in due time. Not that big of a deal. But in Montreal...everything is.
I agree with you, I was trying to say this, but you said it better,no surprise.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBrasco View Post
I agree with everything said, still the triple low five had to go.
Maybe. I don't think its a huge deal. It's just the latest in the "PK will do what we say and he's not bigger than the team" campaign that seems to be going on. And I really hope we don't push this so hard that it alienates him.

Like I said, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes so maybe this is the right move but I don't get why they had to announce this publicly. Why not just tell him not to do it and when the reporters ask let him answer them how he wants?

Really seems like Therrien wants to show everyone that he's in charge. I hope this is a good thing but there's a good chance of it blowing up in his face.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Stupid. Kind of move that really makes you wonder what MT was thinking. Let him be who he is. Wouldn't be surprised with all the **** he's been getting lately that he'd ask for a trade.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In fact, you can argue that bringing Reggie Houle into the fold ended up ****ing the organization way more than helping it during his playing days
I point this out all the time. He and I think it was Tardiff (if I remember correctly) were the only real NHL players we get out of this and Houle came back to kill us so it hurt us more than anything. And Houle actually left our team for the WHA for a period of time as well...

Old
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not the decision itself I have a problem with, it's the fact that it got out to the media.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
jwolf

Quote:
The whole way the team is treating PK is weird. They really seem to be trying to put him in his place. "I want to make him a better person" "You have to respect the fans"... what's up with that? And the club went out of its way to sign him at a low short contract. Then his teammates are lukewarm about him coming back. And him being held out of the lineup right now just seems like some kind of lesson to me...

This isn't just about a low five... something bigger is going on behind the scenes. Why announce this publicly?
I get that feeling too. I think they're trying to get him under control before he starts putting himself ahead of the team. He always seems to say the right things in front of the camera, but he may be pissing people off behind closed doors. Who knows?

This short season will prove important for many reasons. None more important than seeing how Subban matures and continues to learn.

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

NOTHING is up with that...NOTHING! Don't pay attention to the message lurking below the surface. Unless someone says "it," "it's" not there.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
habtastic

I didn't think it was a big problem, but neither do I think Therrien's principle is wrong. He has a philosophy and direction - it's not like he asked them to stop the first star celebration (for a win).

I'm fine with it. The crowd will be fine with it. JUST WIN. No excuses.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote