HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Concern about Calgary?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
jsho

vCash: 500
I find it odd that people want Calgary to get better and more competitive so there is a good rivalry between the two of us......In the last 25 games Calgary has won 20 of them. Calgary’s only win this year was against us.

We cant even beat them when they are mediocre….

Old
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Don't ever go read a poll thread involving the Sens and Oilers, it's disgusting. I used to like the Sens and their fans, after reading many of their threads I have to say Sens fans are my second most hated after Nuck fans, and I gotta say, a lot of Nuck fans have surprised me this year, many of them have been quite nice towards us and our team.
Agreed. And god forbid you mention Gagner being better than Turris. it's like trying to discuss Hall/Seguin with a Bruins fan (who are also in my top 3 most hated fanbases)

Old
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Way bigger issues. Agreed.

But c'mon... Who doesn't want to see the BoA mean something again?
It means a lot more when we win. I know that for sure.

It was hardly a battle last saturday when they dusted their boots off on us. We need to improve our own team I think. Especially considering the fact that we couldn't even beat them. It says a lot about their teams potential. They aren't bad on paper, nor will they continue to dwell like they are now. It's just not in the nature of their current state.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

My only focus is that the Oilers continue to improve and become a good or great hockey team.

If Calgary goes down the right road to doing the same, great. I want to see a Flames/Oilers playoff series before I turn 40.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

nah, Calgary will go on a winning streak and just miss the playoffs. it is their destiny.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I want to see a Flames/Oilers playoff series before I turn 40.
how much time do they have left?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
fysloc

Standings are misleading. Calgary played essentially the fewest games in the west, so naturally thats 6 pts that are not accounted for.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
My only focus is that the Oilers continue to improve and become a good or great hockey team.

If Calgary goes down the right road to doing the same, great. I want to see a Flames/Oilers playoff series before I turn 40.
Could've happened in '06 if the Flames didn't choke hard in Games 6 and 7. To Illya Bryzgalov!

Old
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Perfect_Drug

I actually wouldn't mind them getting MacKinnon/Jones.

The rivalry has become too stale.

I want Alberta to be known as the death valley of hockey, where teams get destroyed by the Oilers and Flames.

Then I want the Oilers to beat the Best the Flames can muster in the Playoffs.

I want a real rivalry between us.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
Standings are misleading. Calgary played essentially the fewest games in the west, so naturally thats 6 pts that are not accounted for.
They've played 5 to the majority's 7, so that's only a potential 4 points actually.

Then again, Columbus is the only team with 8, and that doesn't seem to be helping them out very much.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
Thats also misleading because your saying Calgary would win 3 games in a row.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. And god forbid you mention Gagner being better than Turris. it's like trying to discuss Hall/Seguin with a Bruins fan (who are also in my top 3 most hated fanbases)
As much as Oiler and Leaf fans get criticized for overhyping players around here, no one on HFBoards overrate their players more than Sen fans.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
It means a lot more when we win. I know that for sure.

It was hardly a battle last saturday when they dusted their boots off on us. We need to improve our own team I think. Especially considering the fact that we couldn't even beat them. It says a lot about their teams potential. They aren't bad on paper, nor will they continue to dwell like they are now. It's just not in the nature of their current state.
Yeah, Im with you. First thing is our team actually hanging with the Flames in the regular season.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

perfect world calgary finishes 3rd worst and then someone outside of the bottom 3 wins the lottery and they get bounced lol lets just worry about owning them for now,.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:25 PM
topchowda

As an Oiler fan: Please dont trade Iggy and Kipper, Please dont trade Iggy and Kipper, Please dont trade Iggy and Kipper, Please dont trade Iggy and Kipper.

Those are the only players keeping them from getting a lottery pick. And both those players could net good returns,

Even if they are Oiler killers, they are the two guy preventing the Flames from completing a relatively smooth 2-3 year rebuild

Old
02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I actually wouldn't mind them getting MacKinnon/Jones.

The rivalry has become too stale.

I want Alberta to be known as the death valley of hockey, where teams get destroyed by the Oilers and Flames.

Then I want the Oilers to beat the Best the Flames can muster in the Playoffs.

I want a real rivalry between us.
It very well could be, there could be 4-5 1st overall picks playing in Alberta against each other.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
You've gone soft my friend. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. Wishing Calgary to be that competetive team will backfire pretty quickly. Especially when they defeat us. Much like they did last weekend. We have much bigger issues than cheering for other cities franchises.

To OP, Calgary will battle for 9-10th at least. Fearing they will have a lottery selection fifteen percent into the season is overlooking our own battle to siege. We could easily be sitting in their ranking after one week of either bad luck or a team meltdown. I think its conceited or overzealous to think otherwise at this stage.
yeah i know we could be there in 1 week... when did i say otherwise? this isn't a "we're doing so great" thread, this is a "i hope the flames don't suck bad enough to get a top-3 pick" thread... i didn't even type the word "oilers" in my post, not sure where you are getting this from

i hope you're right about them finishing around 9th-10th though, we can agree on that

Old
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Dabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
It very well could be, there could be 4-5 1st overall picks playing in Alberta against each other.
The chances of one team getting consecutive 1st overall picks is actually pretty difficult to do if you think about it. I think the Oilers were very fortunate to be able to get 3 #1's in a row. And its even harder now with the lottery odds changing. Throw in the fact we lucked out with Eberle at #22 and J.Schultz signing as a UFA, our rebuild went almost perfectly the last 3-4 years in terms of adding young elite talent.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Perfect_Drug

Yeah.

I'm tired of a sad sack rivalry of battling for the final playoff spot.

Do you guys realize our last BoA playoff series was 12 years ago?

:/

The BOA was one of the fiercest rivalries in the history of the NHL between two of it's top teams.

I hate sounding like a grandpa, but you had to have been there to witness the BOA.

Wishing Calgary be perpetually mediocre seems a little petty IMHO.

That rivalry was the most fierce I had ever seen. It was arguably the greatest hockey ever played by the 2 most dominant teams in the league.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Yeah.

The BOA was one of the fiercest rivalries in the history of the NHL between two of it's top teams.

I hate sounding like a grandpa, but you had to have been there to witness the BOA.

That rivalry was the most fierce I had ever seen. It was arguably the greatest hockey ever played by the 2 most dominant teams in the league.
I assume you mean 22 years ago. 1991.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Eskie Jetski

Quote:
Yeah.

I think you meant to say 22 years ago, referring to the 1991 Smythe Division Semifinal. I was in Grade 7, I still remember Edmonton erasing the 3-0 deficit to win 5-4 in OT!

Old
02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
An exciting BOA to me is one where we destroy the Flames.

I'd like to be able to run up the score as much as possible.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
I'm actually more worried about Colorado. They already have Landeskog and Duchene. Potentially add Seth Jones and they become a reaaaal pain in a few years. Calgary will have Baertschi and.....that's it. Iggy and Kipper are likely gone by the time the high pick becomes an impact player.
I mentioned this in the OOT thread last night. I am scared COL will get a top pick only because of injuries. They are not a basement team. Philly did that one year and rebounded the next.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:30 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I'd love to see the Flames come last

Old
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
CupofOil

The Flames trashed the Oilers in their only meeting and i have finished ahead of them for many years so even though the Oilers are on an upward tick and the Flames are on a downward tick, it's too premature for Oilers fans to trash talk them, throwing rocks from glass houses and such.

I'm too focused on the Oilers to worry about them anyway. In a way, them getting Jones or MacKinnon would make the rivalry all the more fierce in the coming years and this Oiler fan would welcome the competiton. IMO, it's no fun if one team is good and the other bad. The BOA could use an injection of competitve fire, it has been pretty tame for years.

Closed Thread