HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Remember when idiot Bruins fans were saying that John Scott was ducking Shawn Thornton?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJcn...yer_embedded#!
Thornton is a solid middleweight, but Scott is way over his level.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
The next four locations for relocation, in my opinion, are Seattle, Quebec City, Markham, and Kansas City.
Quebec City and Seattle are the only realistic destinations right now, IMO.

Markham has a population that barely cracks 300K, so how realistic is that for a team? They're 20 miles from Toronto, so not sure where they'd build a new fan base around. Hamilton would be more realistic, but I even think that would be a mistake.

Even Winnipeg has 730K. I don't see that working at all. Not sure KC + Overland Park are big enough for a successful hockey franchise, with how popular the Thunder are there. You also have the Royal and Chiefs, obviously. KC/OP big enough to keep 4 professional sports? My guess would be no, and that they're better suited for a minor league team.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Quebec City and Seattle are the only realistic destinations right now, IMO.

Markham has a population that barely cracks 300K, so how realistic is that for a team? They're 20 miles from Toronto, so not sure where they'd build a new fan base around. Hamilton would be more realistic, but I even think that would be a mistake.

Even Winnipeg has 730K. I don't see that working at all. Not sure KC + Overland Park are big enough for a successful hockey franchise, with how popular the Thunder are there. You also have the Royal and Chiefs, obviously. KC/OP big enough to keep 4 professional sports? My guess would be no, and that they're better suited for a minor league team.
That's why I listed Quebec City and Seattle first. Markham could very easily support a team. 75 percent of Leafs tickets go to STHs. So, with that said, since it's still only 20 miles away, hockey fans will flock to watch hockey. It would work. Kansas City is by far the biggest risk, so I listed it fourth.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
That's why I listed Quebec City and Seattle first. Markham could very easily support a team. 75 percent of Leafs tickets go to STHs. So, with that said, since it's still only 20 miles away, hockey fans will flock to watch hockey. It would work. Kansas City is by far the biggest risk, so I listed it fourth.
To me, Markham and KC aren't even options. You can't build a stadium and move a franchise there in hopes that another teams fans will show up because that team is always sold out, and extremely expensive to see a game at. As a hockey fan, I'm not going to a game in Markham because "my" Leafs are sold out or not playing that night if I have to pay full price.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Markham would draw from all the people who are priced out of Leafs tickets. Their fan base would grow rather quickly. Using the population of the town it's in as a deterrent doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Makes about as much sense as the Los Angeles greater area having 2 teams while the Greater Toronto Area only has 1.

And how popular are the Thunder in KC? Oklahoma City is 5 hours away.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
As a hockey fan, I'm not going to a game in Markham because "my" Leafs are sold out or not playing that night if I have to pay full price.
Tons of people in Toronto hate the Leafs and can't stand their fan base, though. Enough people to easily support a 2nd team, IMO.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Markham would draw from all the people who are priced out of Leafs tickets. Their fan base would grow rather quickly. Using the population of the town it's in as a deterrent doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Makes about as much sense as the Los Angeles greater area having 2 teams while the Greater Toronto Area only has 1.

And how popular are the Thunder in KC? Oklahoma City is 5 hours away.
I'm an idiot. I don't know what the **** I was thinking when I brought up OKC... Must have just merged the two cities into one.

Quote:
Tons of people in Toronto hate the Leafs and can't stand their fan base, though. Enough people to easily support a 2nd team, IMO.
Do you think there are enough fans to get to follow an entirely new team, though? That might be a tough sell.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Markham's without an arena, so they're not happening.

Quebec City and Seattle are the front-runners, and Portland and Houston are probably the second tier right below them depending on ownership situations (namely if Paul Allen's interested in Portland and if a team can operate profitably in Houston without Les Alexander).

Don't think any other market is nearly as close. Vegas got hammered by the recession, Saskatoon is too small, Salt Lake City is also too small (though I highlight it as a target in 3-5 decades), OKC got filled with the Thunder, Kansas City has zero ownership interest, Milwaukee and Indy are already oversaturated sports markets, Hampton Roads has no arena, Hartford is only a nostalgia thing and has nothing else really going for it, and Hamilton needs to seriously upgrade their arena before they'll even be considered.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:

Do you think there are enough fans to get to follow an entirely new team, though? That might be a tough sell.
Don't think it would be an issue. It's an NHL town, not a Leafs town, based on everything I read on the BoH and elsewhere.

That said, it isn't gonna happen anytime before QC and Seattle, so it's all a moot point.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
RayP

Quote:
Don't think it would be an issue. It's an NHL town, not a Leafs town, based on everything I read on the BoH and elsewhere.

That said, it isn't gonna happen anytime before QC and Seattle, so it's all a moot point.
I'll take your word for it, I know you spend a lot of time over there and no reason to doubt what you say if that's the case... Maybe I just underestimated how many people in that area are a hockey fan first, before a particular team.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

It's not so much that they're hockey fans first, they're just anti-Leafs.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
RayP

There really that many anti-Leafs fans up there? Never been up there before. My travels throughout Canada begin and end in Windsor, ON.... and never got far enough away from the States where I couldn't still smell Detroit.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Between anti-Leafs people, casuals who's kids may turn into diehards, young people who can't get into ACC, etc, there is more than enough people for a 2nd GTA team to sell out every game, with prices well above those in non-traditional markets. If LA can support 2 basketball teams and Chicago 2 baseball teams, Toronto can support 2 hockey teams. History be damned, it's as simple as that.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
There really that many anti-Leafs fans up there? Never been up there before. My travels throughout Canada begin and end in Windsor, ON.... and never got far enough away from the States where I couldn't still smell Detroit.
As I understand it, everyone outside of Toronto strongly dislikes the Leafs and the city itself because it is Americanized. Kind of like when someone tells a Mexican they have been to Mexico but the only place they visisted was Cancun so they dismiss it.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If a second team got put down in the GTA, it'd be like a closer version of the Senators. Their own fans absolutely outnumbered by another team (or teams in the case of the Senators), even in their own barn. Crack of many jokes, nobody thinks their fans are for real, yadda, yadda.

Then, two decades go by, and the kids that grew up being more readily able to attend.... uh.... Markham Majors, or whatever, games are actually fans of that team, and their fanbase begins to grow. Still the same thing in Ottawa, from everything I've heard. All the old-timers are still Leafs and Habs fans, but their kids? Overwhelmingly becoming Senators fans. Pretty sure that the same thing even happened in faraway Vancouver for the first decade or so of the Nucks' existence, too.

It'll take some time for a GTA-based team to have an actual, noticeable following, but it will happen eventually (especially if the Leafs continue to stink up the joint and the new team charges less for admission) and in the meantime being based in the largest and wealthiest hockey market in the world will be more than enough to keep them not just afloat, but profitable, from just random casuals, fans that want to catch NHL game, and even Leafs fans.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Sevanston

It's a real documentary.

Toronto is a city that Canadians love to hate.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

in 2015 we will have 32 teams in 4 divisions with Quebec and an Ontario located team added and the Yotes moved to Seattle...

Old
02-01-2013, 07:06 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

landeskog has now been put on the IR. doesn't sound good.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

**** head Wings can't hold a 2 goal lead early. Blues are gonna end up winning this in another rout.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
RayP

Conacher is off to one hell of a start for the Lightning.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Simmonds takes a pretty brutal elbow from the Erskine

Gotta imagine a suspension is coming

Old
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
RayP

And Conacher puts in another goal... 2nd of the game.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
RayP

Did you guys see the article on the GM of Montreal banning PK's goal celebration?

wow...

Old
02-01-2013, 08:05 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

the situation with PK has just become bizarre. they seem really hard on him which i find so strange.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
As I understand it, everyone outside of Toronto strongly dislikes the Leafs and the city itself because it is Americanized. Kind of like when someone tells a Mexican they have been to Mexico but the only place they visisted was Cancun so they dismiss it.
It's not really that. It's that Toronto's the biggest city in the country, the economic and cultural centre, etc. - and people are criticized for being self-centred, thinking they're the centre of the universe, a superiority complex, etc.

People don't like the Leafs b/c they get so much attention despite their mediocrity.

Closed Thread