HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list getting short...

Old
07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
UFA list getting short...

Assuming Gainey is planning to sign two UFAs, including a center, I expect those players to be part of this list. Still, I think it is getting pretty short (I wished Gainey could bring Langenbrunner and McCauley here). McCauley could be a nice asset and an eventual replacement to Bonk. I don't expect Arnott to sign, and I don't see how Gainey could have start a rumor about Elias....

centers:
Doug Weight - might be a nice fit with Kovalev
Viktor Kozlov
Alyn McCauley
Jeff Halpern

others:
Peter Sykora with Patrik Elias ? no centers there however....
Sergei Samsonov
Brendan Shanahan
Bill Guerin
Mike Grier
Yanic Perreault
Jeff Friesen
Peter Bondra
Sean Donovan

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
katodelder

Montreal really needs an impact defenseman. Unfortunately they're all pretty much gone.

There are some great forwards left. Landing either Elias or Arnott would be great consolation for not upgrading the defence.

katodelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Ottawa just spent 6.3M/year for Corvo and Gerber..They are at 31,250M for 12 players .

+

Ray Emery, G, 23(1,5?); Martin Havlat, RW, 24(5M); Chris Kelly, C, 25(700k); Peter Schaefer, LW, 281,8); Christoph Schubert, D, 24(700k); Jason Spezza, C, 22(4); Antoine Vermette, LW, 23(1).

So we are at roughly 46M and it's still not a complete roster

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Pat

when a guy who's 6`9 signs, the list does get shorter

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Habsy

You're missing Arnott and Chouinard on your centers list.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Boston is a 32M with 12 players with Bergeron and Boyes as RFA's. I think they will get both back for about 6M so if the cap is 44 they will have 6M left for 8players

Old
07-01-2006, 10:05 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Boston is a 32M with 12 players with Bergeron and Boyes as RFA's. I think they will get both back for about 6M so if the cap is 44 they will have 6M left for 8players
Toronto is short on cash to sign remaing players and forwards too, their UFA buying still has come at a cost.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:06 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
your point?

They just acquired a top 5 d man and a top point scorer. They've had a good day.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Toro

The list is gone for impact defencemen. I don't believe gainey was going to sign a free agent D-man. He will trade for one if he is going to upgrade our D.

He must be going with ribs at center. He must be satisfied with pleks and ribs chances of taking the #2 spot long term.

Or he has a trade cooking...

we will find out soon

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:21 PM
znk

List isnt getting shorter.....because those signed werent on the habs list.
Elias, Arnott, Shanahan are the primary targets....and it all depends on what happens with Elias.
Apparently both Montreal and Chicago are trying real hard to get him and the Rangers are supposed to be looking at him too.

Arnott refused 4 years 16 million from the Blues so he's still a possibility.

I think if we sign Elias we wont sign any other players. So...Elias better make up his mind soon because I dont want Arnott slip by if we cant get him.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
List isnt getting shorter.....because those signed werent on the habs list.
Elias, Arnott, Shanahan are the primary targets....and it all depends on what happens with Elias.
Apparently both Montreal and Chicago are trying real hard to get him and the Rangers are supposed to be looking at him too.

Arnott refused 4 years 16 million from the Blues so he's still a possibility.

I think if we sign Elias we wont sign any other players. So...Elias better make up his mind soon because I dont want Arnott slip by if we cant get him.
agreed...good post

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:56 PM
goalchenyuk

Elias resigned with The Devils , than we have to go for the plan B .

Seriously , the more i read the signings the more i am happy that Gainey didn't move yet ; those contracts are way to expensive and overpaid . I remember last year when after few hours , many players were already signed , and after a while we saw that they were not the best moves .

After the signing of Kovy at 4 M$ and the one of Saku at 4.75M$ , i hope that Bob is going to be more careful with his negotiation .

Realise that for we already pay +- 9 M$ for 2 marginal players that are even not able to put 1.00 PPG and some of you absolutly want Gainey to signed player like Arnott , Savard or Samsonov ??? ( i didn't name Elias , now that he resigned withe Devils )

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
Assuming Gainey is planning to sign two UFAs, including a center, I expect those players to be part of this list. Still, I think it is getting pretty short (I wished Gainey could bring Langenbrunner and McCauley here). McCauley could be a nice asset and an eventual replacement to Bonk. I don't expect Arnott to sign, and I don't see how Gainey could have start a rumor about Elias....

centers:
Doug Weight - might be a nice fit with Kovalev
Viktor Kozlov
Alyn McCauley
Jeff Halpern

others:
Peter Sykora with Patrik Elias ? no centers there however....
Sergei Samsonov
Brendan Shanahan
Bill Guerin
Mike Grier
Yanic Perreault
Jeff Friesen
Peter Bondra
Sean Donovan
I hope that it isnt another year of Bob standing pat. I hate how he teases beforehand with statements like he is looking for offensive help

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

Seriously , the more i read the signings the more i am happy that Gainey didn't move yet ; those contracts are way to expensive and overpaid . I remember last year when after few hours , many players were already signed , and after a while we saw that they were not the best moves .

After the signing of Kovy at 4 M$ and the one of Saku at 4.75M$ , i hope that Bob is going to be more careful with his negotiation .

Realise that for we already pay +- 9 M$ for 2 marginal players that are even not able to put 1.00 PPG and some of you absolutly want Gainey to signed player like Arnott , Savard or Samsonov ??? ( i didn't name Elias , now that he resigned withe Devils )

but what if these teams make the playoffs and montreal dont?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Ginoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v

Dude, could you tell me how he could be more careful seeing how the current UFA market is ? That's what both players would have gone for if not more... Unless you want to get a crappy team for the next 10 years, you have to overpay for guys like Arnott, Savard an Samsonov assuming you want them... That's pretty much what I've learned today

Last edited by Ginoro: 07-01-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
We will improve thru trade IMO. Other then Elias, was there any player that you would of wanted to sign for the money they did?

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:19 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
We will improve thru trade IMO. Other then Elias, was there any player that you would of wanted to sign for the money they did?
For about 2.1 more a year, I would have liked Mckee. He's 5 times the d man Bouillon is.

Old
07-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If Arnott refused 4 Mil from the Blues then screw him. North of that it`s too much for Arnott. Who I find personaly questionable in term of dedication and so forth.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:21 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota
If Arnott refused 4 Mil from the Blues then screw him. North of that it`s too much for Arnott. Who I find personaly questionable in term of dedication and so forth.
Arnott is worth close to 5

Old
07-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999
For about 2.1 more a year, I would have liked Mckee. He's 5 times the d man Bouillon is.
5 times better? No wonder GM keep overspending, it`s unbelievable how people overrate guys. Let`s face it these days the line between a good defenseman and average defenseman is really thin. There`s an elite few of 6 guys and that rest are almost all in the same group. McKee is good defensively but he`s not an elite player.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:32 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota
5 times better? No wonder GM keep overspending, it`s unbelievable how people overrate guys. Let`s face it these days the line between a good defenseman and average defenseman is really thin. There`s an elite few of 6 guys and that rest are almost all in the same group. McKee is good defensively but he`s not an elite player.
Elite players are paid upwards of 7 mill these days, not 4 like Mckee got? Did you see him play in the playoffs?

Blocks shots and is a true leader.

Old
07-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Blake and Lagenbrunner , but both took less money to go where they wanted to play. Aside from that all i see is overpaid players that will be hard to move down the road..

Old
07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
What are the good defensemen still remaining?

Kuba's gone
Johnsson's gone
Chara's gone
McKee's gone
Kubina's gone

Is Spacek and Markov still available?

Oh and BTW, wouldn't you guys like to see Peca in a habs uniform ? I think he would do an amazing job as a second or third line center, if we can drop Ribeiro and put Plekanec on third or second depending on performance.

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:52 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu
What are the good defensemen still remaining?

Kuba's gone
Johnsson's gone
Chara's gone
McKee's gone
Kubina's gone

Is Spacek and Markov still available?

Oh and BTW, wouldn't you guys like to see Peca in a habs uniform ? I think he would do an amazing job as a second or third line center, if we can drop Ribeiro and put Plekanec on third or second depending on performance.
We dont need a D. Peca was a disapointment in Edmonton so I dont know.

Old
07-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Would you go playing for the worst team in the league if there is a chance you could get the same money with a better team? Just a thought.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote