HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brunner

Old
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
I'm still waiting for Reto Berra to come over and be Wings back up goal.
I thought Dario Burgler might have a chance at the NHL...

But good old Toucan Sam is a good little Swiss hockey player.
Needs to get closer to the net before shooting.

He also looks lost defensively and weak as a kitten along the boards.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
But good old Toucan Sam is a good little Swiss hockey player.
He also looks lost defensively and weak as a kitten along the boards.
So he's basically a better skating Hudler

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
So he's basically a better skating Hudler
Hudler is a pretty good player. If Hudler skated like Brunner, he'd be a big-time producer in the NHL.

I don't see Brunner as being as good or as valuable as Hudler... Yet. But he looks like he could have that potential if an when he gets more assertive and grows to understand the NHL game.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Hudler is a pretty good player. If Hudler skated like Brunner, he'd be a big-time producer in the NHL.

I don't see Brunner as being as good or as valuable as Hudler... Yet. But he looks like he could have that potential if an when he gets more assertive and grows to understand the NHL game.
If the kid gained 15 pounds I think he'd be more effective because he could play around the boards and cycle with the other two guys.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
FlashyG

Quote:

But Hudler doesn't skate like Brunner...that's like me saying if Brunner was as big as Chara he'd be a big time hitter in the NHL...

I think the 2 players are very comparable....Both are undersized shooters who aren't that responsible defensively. Neither will be winning many battles along the boards, but both will put up a respectable # of points providing they get their ice-time.

The only real difference I see between them is that Hudler is probably a slightly better passer, while Brunner is a far better skater. Although there are still a lot of questions to be answered about Brunner seeing as he's only played 6 games.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Jussha

I think one thing that is gonna be huge for brunner going forward at least imo is he seems like he is a coachable kid. Not only though is he coachable, but he seems Babcock coachable to me. I think you need a special type of player to really be Babcock coachable, but I think Brunner has it. I think next season he will show he is a legit top 6er in our offense that we can count on. overall i am happy with the signing

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
But Hudler doesn't skate like Brunner...that's like me saying if Brunner was as big as Chara he'd be a big time hitter in the NHL...

I think the 2 players are very comparable....Both are undersized shooters who aren't that responsible defensively. Neither will be winning many battles along the boards, but both will put up a respectable # of points providing they get their ice-time.

The only real difference I see between them is that Hudler is probably a slightly better passer, while Brunner is a far better skater. Although there are still a lot of questions to be answered about Brunner seeing as he's only played 6 games.
I don't know why you want to make this Brunner vs Hudler.
Because, IMO, Hudler wins this.

Hudler is a much smarter player than Brunner.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
I don't know why you want to make this Brunner vs Hudler.
Because, IMO, Hudler wins this.

Hudler is a much smarter player than Brunner.
Perhaps because it's Hudler's spot he's playing in right down to playing the point on the PP, and the obvious similarities in their game.

As far as who's the better player I personally far prefer Brunner, but as I said its only been 6 games so the jury is still out on him. I'm also not ready to say Hudler is the smarter player, he's had 400+ NHL games to Brunner's 6 and Brunner seems every bit as effective in a top 6 role as he is.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:21 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I agree, I would much rather have Brunner over Hudler. Although the real comparison is, Hudler vs. Samuelsson. In that light, Hudler is the better player, but overpaid for too many years. His skill set is useless on this team. I would rather have the human piece of garbage, "Sammy" for two years over Hudler for four years.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I agree, I would much rather have Brunner over Hudler. Although the real comparison is, Hudler vs. Samuelsson. In that light, Hudler is the better player, but overpaid for too many years. His skill set is useless on this team. I would rather have the human piece of garbage, "Sammy" for two years over Hudler for four years.
Not sure that Sammy's agent will be using that ringing endorsement of a statement when he negotiates his next contract.

With Brunner here and Gus and Tatar on the way/should be here already, I'd pass on both Sammy and Hudler. I do hope that Hudler does well in Calgary, though- I liked watching him during his Griffins days.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

How was Brunner not in the league until this year? Man he looks like a player.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
I agree, I would much rather have Brunner over Hudler. Although the real comparison is, Hudler vs. Samuelsson.
I think the Hudler/Samuelsson comparison is less accurate than Hudler/Brunner although still a valid one as at times he will probably fill a similar role.

When you factor in cost I am happy with both Sammy and Brunner over Hudler, but if you take contract length out of the equation I think Hudler is far more valuable than Samuelsson.

I still like Brunner the best out of the 3 though.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

If Brunner can become better on the boards and stronger on the puck, he'll be a great NHLer. He loses a few too many battles as it is, though, I think.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post

I thought eva's Hudler-fest would end once he signed with the Flames.

But Hudler is PPG after one game!
after 2 games, hudler is now at 2p per game!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
If Brunner can become better on the boards and stronger on the puck, he'll be a great NHLer. He loses a few too many battles as it is, though, I think.
agree

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
This. Hopefully he develops that part of his game as the season and his career go on. He definitely has the skill and speed to be very effective in the top-6.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:20 AM
SwissGrog

Here is an interview with seguin about adapting from switzerland to north american hockey:
http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...tor-slow-start
Both him and Bergeron are struggling to find the right rhytmus and to adapt again to the smaller rink. I was already impress with the start of Brunner, but after reading this, even more, considering that he never played north-american hockey. Of course on the long run both Bergeron and Seguin will putting up better numbers and a more complete hockey, but for the moment I think their difficulties just prove how these first games for Brunner were incredible.

SwissGrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:32 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissGrog View Post
Here is an interview with seguin about adapting from switzerland to north american hockey:
Both him and Bergeron are struggling to find the right rhytmus and to adapt again to the smaller rink. I was already impress with the start of Brunner, but after reading this, even more, considering that he never played north-american hockey. Of course on the long run both Bergeron and Seguin will putting up better numbers and a more complete hockey, but for the moment I think their difficulties just prove how these first games for Brunner were incredible.
Some guys that played at KHL have been struggling a little too.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissGrog View Post
More and more when I'm seeing Brunner, I see a hockeyplayer. A great creative individual, that is not a one-trick-pony, that can adapt in things he plays against and always can find something new to succeed.

No matter what the size of the rink is, no matter what the players he is playing against. He is doing the right things. Just like Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Just like Erik Karlsson did here in Finland. He didn't have any clue, what the Jokerit system was. He just played better hockey than anybody. They all have the right hockey mind. And when your hands can contribute what your mind says, you are doing veeery very good.

Brunner will be a big secondary help for us in the near future.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
pdd

Quote:
Quote:
I think the Hudler/Samuelsson comparison is less accurate than Hudler/Brunner although still a valid one as at times he will probably fill a similar role.

When you factor in cost I am happy with both Sammy and Brunner over Hudler, but if you take contract length out of the equation I think Hudler is far more valuable than Samuelsson.

I still like Brunner the best out of the 3 though.
Although Brunner seems to have been the guy who has taken over Hudler's spot, I do agree that for the next two years it's Sammy vs. Hudler. Which is an AINEC comparison, Hudler>Sammy. If you want to go further, you can factor in Bertuzzi and Cleary. There's no serious reason that Holland had to have Sammy, Bertuzzi, and Cleary this year all over Hudler. Especially when there's no guarantee he has Brunner next year.

The biggest question mark is how much Brunner brings over the course of the season, and how much he ends up costing on his next contract. Based on the amounts I have estimated for what each other Red Wing free agent will cost (Flip $4.5, $Howard 4, $White $3.75, Smith/Nyquist/Kindl $1.25) it puts the maximum amount Brunner can get at around $2.8. Which is good, if he gets the $2.5m I have him estimated at. We could end up having to either let one of our FAs go due to price, or ship out another player (Quincey? Samuelsson?) to clear cap space.

We know Hudler would have brought scoring, and if he had to be traded for cap space in that situation he would have been 29 and a top-six forward. That's hardly a poor return. Ship him out with Quincey and you can probably get a pretty good defenseman back. Let him walk for nothing and you get nothing back.

But this is not a Hudler thread guys. If we want a Hudler thread (to talk about his awesome performance this season ) let's make one and hope Heaton doesn't kill it four posts in.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
But this is not a Hudler thread guys. If we want a Hudler thread (to talk about his awesome performance this season ) let's make one and hope Heaton doesn't kill it four posts in.
Good luck.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Sounds like a topic for the Flames board.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
waltdetroit

I really like Brun's hockey sense. They should play "Roxanne" whenever he scores

“All our goals are written in our eyes”
― Damiano De Brunnerac

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
torero

Guys !

I know, you will think : "another Euro boasting about his player" ... and you may be right.

Yet i still say it :

Brunner, 10 first games with 7 points and a non counting game winning SO ... respect

Not bad at all for a guy who never scratched NHL ice.

Damiano de Bergerac will strike again ! (I like this nickname)

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:

A little off topic, but I think the love-child of Brunner and Hudler is already in the Wings org - his name is Tomas Tatar. Better skater than Huds, prob better vision, and def more grit, than Brunner. Now all we need to do is cut Cleary, Sammy, Emmerton and Mursak in order to make some room for the Griffs who are ready.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
How was Brunner not in the league until this year? Man he looks like a player.
Hopefully it is the same reason that Datsyuk was a 23 year old rookie. The Gods smile upon JLA.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote