HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more triple low five

Old
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
DonnieBrasco

vCash: 500
Price has been trying to get out of it for some time, but what was he supposed to do when PK came up to him after the game in front of 21000 fans....Give him the cold shoulder?...

DonnieBrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
NOTHING is up with that...NOTHING! Don't pay attention to the message lurking below the surface. Unless someone says "it," "it's" not there.
Sometimes that's true but I don't buy it in this case. Sometimes you can read between the lines and the Habs are sending PK a very clear and public message.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I have no real issue with this. Act like you've won before.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBrasco View Post
Price has been trying to get out of it for some time, but what was he supposed to do when PK came up to him after the game in front of 21000 fans....Give him the cold shoulder?...
I'm not sure I believe that.

If I am not mistaken, he and PK were involved with a "triple low five" event at some bar this summer.

Hell, he even sells a framed picture of him doing the triple low five on his website (for the low low price of $550).

So yeah, I'm not sure your assumption (because that's really all it is) happens to be correct.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:00 PM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I'm not sure I believe that.

If I am not mistaken, he and PK were involved with a "triple low five" event at some bar this summer.

Hell, he even sells a framed picture of him doing the triple low five on his website (for the low low price of $550).

So yeah, I'm not sure your assumption (because that's really all it is) happens to be correct.
Should've added a sarcastic smilie, sorry.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
If Price really wanted that to stop. I think he could have told PK during practice or private... You know, it doesn't have to be in front of a crowd.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Sometimes that's true but I don't buy it in this case. Sometimes you can read between the lines and the Habs are sending PK a very clear and public message.
You know what's going to be funny. When someone like Habtchum reads that post, reads between the lines, and starts arguing against it.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Just play PK on the weekend and all will return to hockey talk.

My bet is that PK is on his "best behavior" for the next few weeks, and that he lays low, plays solid shifts, and talks in sports cliches, and generally makes himself go unnoticed.

Then RDS will turn on DD.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Interesting take. It's not foolish to assume that MB and MT look at Subban and see someone who's biggest enemy might just be himself. I, for one, like his brashness and the trash talking, etc., but from another point of view, these antics may cloud the primary objective: becoming one of the best defencemen in the league.

I like the camaraderie of the TL5, but it's banning might play a small part in the maturation of PK. Along with the bridge contract, putting him on the 2nd PP unit to start, the other players not wanting to answer questions about his return; this might all be MB's strategy for protecting his asset.

I hate it when MGMT try to squeeze the fun out of sports, but it might be the best thing for PK in the long run. Time will tell...
Very well said.

The long-term goal is to develop PK into a REAL $6M defenseman and Norris candidate. I am totally ok with how the team has been handled so far so I have confidence that they know what they are doing.

PK can still be PK, he's not going to start fading from pictures la Back to the Future. I love PK, I personally liked the 3xlow5, but I'm sooooo not disturbed by this. I want to see PK be a part of a winning six man unit and when on the ice, 5 skaters and a goalie who are totally in sync. That matter way more to me than the icing on the cake after a win. I'll take the 2pts and a playoff spot if that's what management thinks it will help promote.

This is exactly why we have a media circus - coach decides he wants a tight ship, no showboating, get the job done attitude and people think he shot PK Subban.

Love PK , can't wait to see him back, even more so can't wait to see him lead this team to a playoff spot as a legitimate contender.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Should've added a sarcastic smilie, sorry.
Woops. My sarcasm detector must be on the fritz. All good. With some of the comments on here, it's sometimes hard to tell .

Old
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I don't doubt for a second PK isn't overly liked by some of his team mates. It's no different in the work place for the majority of us. When young men come into a job full of confidence and excel at their position it sometimes upsets the experienced guys because they see him as a threat. Certain habits that certain people have are also annoying to others. For example I worked with a very young individual the past couple years, even though he was a decent enough guy he had terrible habits that really pissed me off... He'd often show up late or not show up at all, but because he was a hard worker when present management was very tolerant with him. Eventually this guy was fired, and I breathed a sigh of relief..

It's easy to hate the person everyone loves.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Andy

Quote:
The whole way the team is treating PK is weird. They really seem to be trying to put him in his place. "I want to make him a better person" "You have to respect the fans"... what's up with that? And the club went out of its way to sign him at a low short contract. Then his teammates are lukewarm about him coming back. And him being held out of the lineup right now just seems like some kind of lesson to me...

Not sure what it is that's going on in the dressing room or why PK is being singled out but it sure as hell seems as though his team is trying to undermine him though. Maybe there are things going on that we don't know about but this sure seems like a strange way to be treating a player that you are looking to as a cornerstone of your future.

Whatever they're trying to do I hope it works because I'm not sure what's broken here and I don't know what it is they're actually trying to fix. I'm still surprised PK signed the contract we put in front of him.

This isn't just about a low five... something bigger is going on behind the scenes. Why announce this publicly?
I agree 100%. Same with Miller Time's assessment

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Woops. My sarcasm detector must be on the fritz. All good. With some of the comments on here, it's sometimes hard to tell .
Yeah, ambiguous sarcasm is a tough sell, sorry again!

What would you guys think of a Emelin/Markov buttbump then?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Maybe you're right.

I do remember on a couple of occasions last year thinking that Price seemed less than enthusiastic about it, but that could just be his normal demeanour

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
habtastic

Remember when there were triple low fives last season and we finished last. Yeah...

As posted by Le Tricolore : "Act like you've won before."

Anyone see the thing on Eller when they were ribbing him for his Stanley Cup winning-like celebration after last season's WPG game? Extend that to every time you win at home. Somewhat similar. I'm fine with PK being last off the ice with Price and doing a helmet bump. Same meaning. If we win a playoff series or clinch a spot or something like that - fine, go for it, but as much as I enjoyed seeing it previously, it does make me wonder if when we were tanking and getting a win now and again (closer to almost never), did they really think those wins were triple-low 5 worthy? Maybe then, fine, cuz we had nothing else to be happy about. Now things have changed. People are acting like this is a public attack on PK. Why not present it as an attack on Price? Cuz so many people are way too defensive about him and have this paranoid attitude that MB an MT are going to ruin him. It will be the complete opposite. And if you think PK can contain himself - we'll, you don't know PK. He'll give you PLENTY more flair to be happy about.

Do Stasny and Duchesne still do that ridiculous dance? I hope not, just for the sake of their own respectability.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

Could be worse, he could be doing the Joel instead.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
habsfanatics

I'm really not a big fan of this. Who cares ?? Why don't we put PK on ridilin while we're at it. I'm really getting tired of this team. lol

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Sorry, but what's a Jol?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Maybe. I don't think its a huge deal. It's just the latest in the "PK will do what we say and he's not bigger than the team" campaign that seems to be going on. And I really hope we don't push this so hard that it alienates him.

Like I said, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes so maybe this is the right move but I don't get why they had to announce this publicly. Why not just tell him not to do it and when the reporters ask let him answer them how he wants?

Really seems like Therrien wants to show everyone that he's in charge. I hope this is a good thing but there's a good chance of it blowing up in his face.
They did not announce it .

Some reporters asked Price something about the celebration with PK and he said the low five was not welcomed anymore.

Reporters just went to Therrien and asked him about it.

Therrien was not very keen talking about it, but did anyway. He said he prefers the center ice salute by all players.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Sorry, but what's a Jol?
It's this stupid meme that PK keeps tweeting about.

He basically lifts his leg, like they did in 1960's comics when two kids are kissing, and takes pictures of it. It's hard to explain, and frankly I don't want to post a picture of it, but you can google "Joel Subban" to get an idea.

Again, I warn you, it's pretty stupid, but harmless.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This is so incredibly stupid.

No wonder hockey can't grow. They try and kill personality.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
LOL!!!!!!

He was trying to pimp that so much in that charity game video. Nobody...is doing the Joel.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
MXD

A bit indifferent to this, but completely fits with the mentality that Therrien wants to give to that team, so...

If this squad would've had success before (not talking about 8th in the East here), then the TL5 wouldn't have been banned .

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
haburger

who cares??next.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This is so incredibly stupid.

No wonder hockey can't grow. They try and kill personality.
Just for argument's sake, would you pick:

a) Lots of personality and the Habs sucking perenially, but ratings high, tons of Roenick-Roy quips, etc., cool post-game rituals that the fans eat up like candy...but again, Habs suck?

or

b) Removing the triple low five (which is apparently the embodiment of PK's entire personality and without it he will be a boring nobody) and the Habs becoming a disciplined, team-first, zero-conflict team with a shot at the cup (I know I'm reaching here, but I'm talking about tending towards the future)?

Note that these are extremes and without the triple low 5, we will still have lots of personality to go around. I cannot believe this is even a big deal and FTR, my facebook timeline pic for the last year has been...yup, Price and PK doing the triple low 5.