HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
He's not asked to be the savior with Geno-Neal and I think that's probably the point. He just needs to do his thing.
I think the point is we still don't know what his thing is. In junior, he was a different player than the all-or-nothing scorer he became in the AHL. And now he's changing organizations.

My point is, let's not throw him away just because he proves incapable of scoring enough to stay with our superstars. There's room for a depth forward on this team, as young and as fast as he is. Hell, if he is the replacement for Cooke or Kennedy next year, I'd be satisfied.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Thanks Boom Boom for all of the info you have been sharing on all of new Pen's by way of Carolina. It is greatly appreciated.
You are welcome. Unlike some, I actually hope Boychuk does well in Pittsburgh. I realize if he does well, starts scoring and is able to hold a top 9 spot with the Pens, there will be fans that will say "OMG, what a steal, Canes got robbed..etc..." but the fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to do that in Carolina and it didn't look like he would anytime soon (whether it was his fault, the Canes, or just a bad match in general).

I'd rather have the guy get a chance to make it happen elsewhere if it wasn't going to happen here as he seems like a good guy and was well liked. The Canes have been on the other side of the equation with guys like Jussi Jokinen and Tlusty (traded for Philipe Paridis once Rutherford realized it was a god awful pick).

Old
02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Thanks Boom Boom for all of the info you have been sharing on all of new Pen's by way of Carolina. It is greatly appreciated.
Yeah... +1 to this.

Love hearing the other team's perspective.

Pittsburgh has long been rummaging around for that diamond in the rough. Hopefully Boychuk turns out to be that guy. Like Jags said... I'd even be happy with him infusing some fresh, young legs into the bottom six.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
They may be friends, but I don't think they've played much together on the same line.

Sutter's only stint in the AHL was 08/09 and Boychuk arrived there in 09/10. Sutter in 09/10 played only 7 games in the AHL when Boychuk arrived, then moved to the Canes for the rest of the season. Boychuk spent most of his time in the AHL with various callup stints. They may have played some games in Carolina in the 09/10 season when Boychuk was called up, but in the last 2 seasons, Sutter was used in a shutdown role so Boychuk didn't play on that line very often (if at all).

If the plan is for Sutter's line to be the shutdown/defensive line, I can't see how Boychuk makes sense being on that line, as that's not his game. Playing on Malkin's (or Crosby's) line is the best chance Boychuk has ever had. Hopefully for him he can let it all hang out, use his speed and skills and take advantage of it.
I just do not see it on Malkin's line. Neal is his finisher and Malkin's ideal has always been to have a finisher on one side and a guy who can get his nose dirty and with some sandpaper on the other side. Crosby however seems ideal to what we have heard about Boychuk. Crosby has not had a guy who could keep up with him often in his career. Boychuk supposedly has some very nice wheels. And Crosby has not had a finisher either and Boychuk supposedly is that although his lack of goals his last time up with you guys is troubling. The long and short of it is that the only place that I see him fitting is on Crosby's line, and if he can make it work it would be a perfect fit.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post

What is this obsession with giving Malkin every ****ing winger? His line is NOT the problem.
Because you can give Sid Andy Hilbert and he'd be a PPG player. True story.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
MtlPenFan

Good to know the Tangradi **** is still going on.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:31 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I think he will get a shot at being on the Malkin line but if it doesn't work out we will see him on the 3rd line with Sutter since they know and played together in the last few years
Quote:
"Bide your time, wait your turn, work hard in practice, look good in game situations and we'll pull you out of your roster spot to make room for a guy from another team who's half your size, turns the puck over, can't win a board battle to save his life and produces less than you against NHL bodies. But this is okay because half a decade ago another team's scouts drafted him higher than we drafted you."
- message being sent to every guy in the org who hasn't cemented a roster spot if DJ is pulled off that line for Zack Boychuk, of all people.

I mean, taking a roster spot away from DJ and giving it to an established guy probably isn't a big deal. If, for instance, Sullivan were reacquired tomorrow, it would make a great deal of sense to make that swap.

But pulling Jeffrey off that line and giving it to a less-established outsider with more weaknesses is a really bad message to send to your young players.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Because you can give Sid Andy Hilbert and he'd be a PPG player. True story.
Crosby can do much better than a PPG. His line does nothing at even strength as the other team just focuses on him.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
sf expat71

Sorry didn't want to read the whole thread to find out, were we at 22 roster players before we picked him up or did someone get sent down?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf expat71 View Post
Sorry didn't want to read the whole thread to find out, were we at 22 roster players before we picked him up or did someone get sent down?
Niskanen on IR

Old
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
sf expat71

Right, so since he is a waiver pickup, if everyone gets healthy someone else eventually has to go down for us to keep him, right? I wonder if it's a tryout type thing for the duration of niskanen's injury, see if he clicks. If so, you are almost forced to bench someone (probably dj or gradi) to see what boychuk can do during that time. Biggest fear, we waive one of them, they get claimed, boychuk just ends up being a flash in the pan who happens to have an adrenaline aided hot streak.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Even if he has an adrenaline hot streak, it'd be more than tangradi has done in his career.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Maybe they just want to shelter Boychuk a bit to start off. Put him out there with two very strong, solid players gives him the best chance to succeed short term and get his feet wet while he gets accustomed to the Pens, their offense, etc..
Now that's just entirely too reasonable for this board.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
sf expat71

That's well and good, but strait hadn't done much until he was on the islanders, now he has an extension. Maybe tangradi doesn't fit the system/coach/just isn't that good, but an asset (however marginal) should still be treated as such.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
You are welcome. Unlike some, I actually hope Boychuk does well in Pittsburgh. I realize if he does well, starts scoring and is able to hold a top 9 spot with the Pens, there will be fans that will say "OMG, what a steal, Canes got robbed..etc..." but the fact of the matter is, he wasn't able to do that in Carolina and it didn't look like he would anytime soon (whether it was his fault, the Canes, or just a bad match in general).

I'd rather have the guy get a chance to make it happen elsewhere if it wasn't going to happen here as he seems like a good guy and was well liked. The Canes have been on the other side of the equation with guys like Jussi Jokinen and Tlusty (traded for Philipe Paridis once Rutherford realized it was a god awful pick).
This is how I feel with, Tangradi.

You guys need him?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Dangles78

You're looking at a 3-man competition for the 2 LW spot between Tangradi, Jeffrey and now Boychuk. If Boychuk impresses, Shero may pull the trigger and ship one of DJ or Tangradi. If he doesn't, maybe Shero tries to ship him off to another team for a late round pick, or just puts him on waivers and let's Carolina have him back.

The move that most of us would like to see is: Boychuk do well enough to stay, and we place Lovejoy on waivers. Bortuzzo is obviously the better player (even though some people threw him under the bus for ****ing falling down once last game).

Getting rid of Lovejoy and having Boychuk could do a lot more than people think. We'd be back to carrying 7 D-men. So if someone is injured, we are giving Morrow/Dumoulin a taste of the NHL, instead of watching Lovejoy for 13 painful minutes a night. It also gives the Pens versatility in their lineup. Tangradi/Jeffrey won't be forced into thinking they have to play a top-6 role to be effective in the lineup while Boychuk can provide some offensive depth (if his consistency issues improve).

Of course this basing on the assumption Boychuk does well

People have already bashed Boychuk for his perimeter play, but have praised Bennett. Which is confusing because Bennett is more of a perimeter player than Boychuk. Bennett has the better hockey IQ and offensive ability, but Boychuk is no slouch with his offensive abilities and while he's not great defensively, he is better than Bennett. To be honest, if he can put it together he may provide what people thought Bennett would bring to the lineup this year.

Keep in mind, there aren't many options in regards to filling the top-6. Anyone can blame Shero or whatever for that, but the Pens just grabbed a potential top-6 winger for nothing. You gotta at least be a little excited.

I'm not trying to pump his tires or anything but I think it's a good pickup especially since there is no risk associated with it and we didn't lose anything for that matter.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Lines at practice:

Jeffrey-Crosby-Dupuis
Boychuk-Malkin-Neal
Interesting. Didn't see that coming but I'm happy about it because DJ is getting more Top 6 time and the guy who deserves to sit, is sitting. Doubting the sick story, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
It's amazing how delusional some folks can be.

Lets see... Eric Tangradi has been scratched for consecutive games, he's played less than 9 minutes per game this season, and Shero just brought in an AHL guy to try in the top 6.

Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, I get it, but those are the facts.

If you still can't see that Tangradi's days are numbered here in Pittsburgh, I don't know that you'll ever see it.

I don't know if the correlation is as strong as you suggest but in general terms it's hard to deny at this point that the organization isn't counting on him to step in and step up. Then again it's possible they turn around and waive Boychuk next week and Tangradi plays, so who the hell knows with this organization. Their treatment of young players defies logic most of the time but is what it is.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I wouldn't be surprised if he is never even tried on Crosby's line. He'll either play well with Malkin and he'll stick there, or he'll suck and be waived again without Bylsma ever trying him with Sid.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Interesting. Didn't see that coming but I'm happy about it because DJ is getting more Top 6 time and the guy who deserves to sit, is sitting. Doubting the sick story, myself.
I don't think Jazzy gets 1 shift on Sid's wing tomorrow. (I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I just don't see Disco doing anything with that line)

Old
02-01-2013, 05:22 PM
SidTheKid8787

DJ won't do much on Sid's line anyway.
Sid needs all the jam he can get on it and DJ can't bring that. He can however handle the puck and probably dish better than Kunitz is right now.

I'd keep DJ on Malkin's line and stick Boychuk on Sid's. Boychuk's faster and has better offensive hockey IQ..

Old
02-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Sideline

Anyone else reminded of this:

Save us mysterious winger for Crosby! You're our only hope until Shero trades for some better at the deadline!

Old
02-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post

Save us mysterious winger for Crosby! You're our only hope until Shero trades for some better at the deadline!
Eh, Pesonen was a mediocre skater. If you're going to be small and slight, you'd better at least be evasive, and Pesonen wasn't.

Not that Boychuk will break out here, like I said earlier, I expect him to be back in Charlotte in a month or two, but he definitely has a more NHL-ready skillset than Pesonen.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post

Except he's not even going to play with Crosby.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
deakka

Im sure Kunitz mr."im too sick to practice, but i can play the games" are gonna be in against Devils and Jeffrey gets the short end of the stick.

What has he done to Bylsma btw?? Im all for trying out the new guy, but either he should be on the 3rd line, or if they really wants him with Malkin, Jeffrey should be on the 3rd.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:00 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I love how its kunitz that is sick, so instead of sliding boychuk on sids line, he moves DJ off of a line where he actually played well.

What is this obsession with giving Malkin every ****ing winger? His line is NOT the problem.
Before it was allegedly Crosby who got all of the preferential treatment regarding wingers, now it's Geno? Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the coaching staff is trying to assemble the best lineup they can instead of picking favorites?

I'm in the minority that thinks Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis can still work. Kunitz just needs to get his head out his ass, and Sid needs to start getting back in form. He just hasn't been the same player we've seen in past years so far this season.

Closed Thread