HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  #876
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So essentially your willing to give up a potential/probable top-5 LW in the NHL for short term gain?
Yes. I would, but that means nothing.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  #877
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the whole arguement here is that our team is too small to play in the playoffs, penner is a proven playoff player. im not saying he is the best option because i would rather have a hartnell type player, but the price on penner has to be cheap and if you slot him in with gagner and yakupov i think he would be very effective at a great price tag. he does owe us we over paid him for 3 years so he should take an underpayment from us now.
Lol. Well if you can write it into his contract that you are taking less money because you owe us, and you have to try all the time, then sign me up (obviously wont happen).

Otherwise an out of shape player that plays when he wants to is probably the worst thing you can stick on a line with Gagner and Yakupov. Even if the price tag is cheap.

jsho is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  #878
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
No, we can stop at Hall.
No no

You're onto something here.

Lets also see if we can also trade Justin Shultz for Dion Phaneuf while we're at it.

Tarus is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  #879
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
No no

You're onto something here.

Lets also see if we can also trade Justin Shultz for Dion Phaneuf while we're at it.
No. Lets not. The force is strong with him.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
  #880
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Funny how the rest 'magically' appeared.. cool trick
If you think that's magical, you should read up on a thing called "the wheel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel

While you're at it, i think there's a link there somewhere about "editing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing


Booya42 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
  #881
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 3531
Lucic first 2 seasons he scored 27pts and 42 pts. He's scored 30 goals once and 26 goals last year. He's never broke 20 goals any other year.

Halls first 2 years he scored 42 and 53 points with 22 goals and 27 goals respectively.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
  #882
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Lucic first 2 seasons he scored 27pts and 42 pts. He's scored 30 goals once and 26 goals last year. He's never broke 20 goals any other year.

Halls first 2 years he scored 42 and 53 points with 22 goals and 27 goals respectively.
I think Lucic will be a 30-30 player but I dont think much more then that.

Hall has a much higher ceiling and just about already did that in his 2nd year.

jsho is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
  #883
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Umberger is exactly the kind of forward this team should be trying to add. He's big, versatile, hard to play against, and is good for about 20 goals a season. I have no idea what it would take, but I could probably get behind moving Hemsky for him even though I think Hemsky is criminally underrated around here at times. The Jackets have a lot of LWs and Cs, and D, but not much in the way of natural RWs. In that sense, I could see us being a good trade partner.

Umberger will be 31 at the end of the season and has another 4 years on his deal at $4.6M. His cap hit is $400K less than Hemsky's, but it extends into RNH, Schultz, and Yakupov's 2nd contracts.
I don't see the cap hit being a problem. By the time we are ready for yakupov, rnh, schultz's contracts we will have horcoff, whitney, khabi, smyth, etc. off the books as far as big contracs go. Cap is going up, second contracts seem to be getting stingier, and he is a valuable piece of a top six which is somewhere i don't mind spending money on.

stoff is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
  #884
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,632
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Lucic first 2 seasons he scored 27pts and 42 pts. He's scored 30 goals once and 26 goals last year. He's never broke 20 goals any other year.

Halls first 2 years he scored 42 and 53 points with 22 goals and 27 goals respectively.
You're forgetting that he also put up those numbers in 20 fewer games than Lucic's last 2 seasons (their PPG average over the last 2 years have been almost identical, but Hall's was significantly better last year and is also outscoring him this year too...and we're talking about Hall as a rookie/sophomore here too).

Lucic is a rare player, and would be a godsend for this team, but to trade him for Hall would be a horrible more for the franchise.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
  #885
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 3531
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
You're forgetting that he also put up those numbers in 20 fewer games than Lucic's last 2 seasons (their PPG average over the last 2 years have been almost identical, but Hall's was significantly better last year and is also outscoring him this year too...and we're talking about Hall as a rookie/sophomore here too).

Lucic is a rare player, and would be a godsend for this team, but to trade him for Hall would be a horrible more for the franchise.
I'm just throwing out the stats to let the boys duke it out...haha.

FTR: I'm a huge Lucic fan but suggesting trading Hall for him is borderline criminal.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
  #886
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I'm just throwing out the stats to let the boys duke it out...haha.

FTR: I'm a huge Lucic fan but suggesting trading Hall for him is borderline criminal.
Im a huge fan of both... I just dont see the issue, but I do think its because most fans dont want to admit maybe seguin was the 'guy'... just sayin' .


The Oilers dont get worse with that trade. IMO.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
  #887
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Im a huge fan of both... I just dont see the issue, but I do think its because most fans dont want to admit maybe seguin was the 'guy'... just sayin' .


The Oilers dont get worse with that trade. IMO.
Yep Sequin certainly seems to be "the guy"

How's he doing this year compared to Hall anyways?

Booya42 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  #888
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Yep Sequin certainly seems to be "the guy"

How's he doing this year compared to Hall anyways?
Frankly at 2 weeks in, its rather moot isnt it?

Hows shea weber doing?

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
  #889
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Yep Sequin certainly seems to be "the guy"

How's he doing this year compared to Hall anyways?
Dude, you have to look at it logically.

We clearly made the wrong choice between Hall/Seguin even though no one realizes it yet, so the only option is to have neither.

Tarus is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM
  #890
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Dude, you have to look at it logically.

We clearly made the wrong choice between Hall/Seguin even though no one realizes it yet, so the only option is to have neither.
And boston can have both.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
  #891
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Frankly at 2 weeks in, its rather moot isnt it?

Hows shea weber doing?
Nope. Seguin had a hot couple weeks last season, and that was enough to cement him as better than Hall, despite being outplayed by Hall at every other point in their careers

The Nuge is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
  #892
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
And boston can have both.
So you're just trolling then? I guess well-ish played sort of? Like a Flames game.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  #893
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 3531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Im a huge fan of both... I just dont see the issue, but I do think its because most fans dont want to admit maybe seguin was the 'guy'... just sayin' .


The Oilers dont get worse with that trade. IMO.
I'm a huge fan of all 3 guys in question, I just don't see how having Seguin or Lucic rather than Hall is the difference maker on whether or not we're contenders.

My biggest reason for being opposed to trading Hall for Lucic is that I believe we're still 4 years away from seriously being ready to contend for a cup. I'm hoping/praying we've either developed our own "Lucic" or acquired one for a lot cheaper than Hall.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  #894
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Frankly at 2 weeks in, its rather moot isnt it?

Hows shea weber doing?
So by that point, wouldn't it be moot to say that Lucic is a better player than Hall?

Booya42 is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
  #895
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So you're just trolling then?
Then or than? are you trolling?

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
  #896
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,632
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I don't see the cap hit being a problem. By the time we are ready for yakupov, rnh, schultz's contracts we will have horcoff, whitney, khabi, smyth, etc. off the books as far as big contracs go. Cap is going up, second contracts seem to be getting stingier, and he is a valuable piece of a top six which is somewhere i don't mind spending money on.
Khabibulin and Whitney are off the books next year. Their money just covers the raises to Hall/Eberle and doesn't even take into account their replacements. Smid and Gagner will probably get fair sized raises next season as well, and Paajarvi and Hartikainen will need new deals after this year too.

That said, I do think we could fit all of them into the mix, but $4.6M is still a lot of money to pay for a 34 year old winger when your core is out of their ELCs. I'm definitely a bird-in-had kind of guy though, so I'd still bring in Umberger if I could.

misfit is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  #897
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Then or than? are you trolling?
The correct one is the one he used troll.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  #898
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
So by that point, wouldn't it be moot to say that Lucic is a better player than Hall?
I never said he was better, I was pointing out he gives the oilers a lot of what they are lacking and that he doesnt make them worse. The Oilers are not physical. Decent hands, big and physical doesnt come often. Hall hasnt proved much yet. Again, I hope he does. Right now I take Lucic.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  #899
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Then or than? are you trolling?
I explained my point and others (many others) re-enforced it, yet you're still carrying on with your point, I'd say it's pretty clear the "point" of all of this.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  #900
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
I never said he was better, I was pointing out he gives the oilers a lot of what they are lacking and that he doesnt make them worse. The Oilers are not physical. Decent hands, big and physical doesnt come often. Hall hasnt proved much yet. Again, I hope he does. Right now I take Lucic.
So Lucic is just as good as Hall then? A lot of people would argue that losing Hall for Lucic would definitely make us worse...

Booya42 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.