HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I was trying to go big enough to discourage Colorado from matching. Based on the CBA, you can't do as much front loading, as yearly variation is limited to a certain % (can't remember off the top of my head the exact %). So term (years), might be the better avenue, as well as increasing the compensation (two 1sts) to something that might seem more enticing

End of day... Colorado probably matches anything within reason... but i can dream
Colorado fans seemed to think a 5 year deal at 6 million a year would not be matched and I would be fine with overpaying for a guy like O'Reilly

Old
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Grow some balls Darcy and offersheet RoR.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

If they sign RoR @5+ million they basically have to buyout Leino. I wonder what the roster would look like:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ennis - O'Reilly - Stafford
Foligno - Grigorenko - Gerbe?
Scott - ??? - Kaleta

Old
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
If they sign RoR @5+ million they basically have to buyout Leino. I wonder what the roster would look like:

Scott - ??? - Kaleta
You forgot Ott

Old
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
I think there is a huge difference between the two.

So, wouldn't a 10 mil cap hit screw over the Sabres too? Is your suggestion to risk screwing over our own cap, to screw over another team?

Building a contender is about a lot more than points. I would trade anyone if I felt it served the purpose of building said contender.

I've suggested blowing up the Rochester core for years... and Vanek/Pommer were always the last of those pieces I wanted to move.

If the Sabres were going to embrace a full rebuild, putting Vanek on the market would most certainly be an option.

Or we could continue building around those players (Calgary/Iginla)
Don't get the Calgary comparison, or the merits of trading every good player on the team over 25.

You could just as easily compare Buffalo to Tampa. Instead of selling off St. Louis and Lecavalier when they were in the basement, they added to their key veterans with young players. They're starting to look pretty good.

Trading Vanek and Pominville sets the Sabres back half a decade. They both should have at least 5 years left in their prime.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
You forgot Ott
Phew, that actually makes me a feel a lot better about the lineup.

He has been kind of invisible after the first game.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
kirby11

Quote:

Scott - ??? - Kaleta
Switch the lines around a bit (no leino and with ott in)
VHP (#1 line)
Foligno-O'Reilly-Stafford (nasty 2 way checking line)
Ennis-Grigs-Ott (Offensive line that can feast on easy minutes, but has some grit with ott)
Gerbe-?-Scott/Kaleta

You could switch ott and staff to keep ennis/staff together, but then there's not much natural scoring ability on the 2nd line aside from RoR. but that 3rd line of ennis-grigs-staff would be great
This roster looks so much better with RoR in as the 2C, and ennis on the wing...

Old
02-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Don't get the Calgary comparison, or the merits of trading every good player on the team over 25.

You could just as easily compare Buffalo to Tampa. Instead of selling off St. Louis and Lecavalier when they were in the basement, they added to their key veterans with young players. They're starting to look pretty good.

Trading Vanek and Pominville sets the Sabres back half a decade. They both should have at least 5 years left in their prime.
You don't get the Calgary comparison? Really? You don't get it? or you don't to believe the similarities.

I don't want to trade every player over 25. I also don't want to have 3 high end players going into UFA at the same time in 18 months.

Adding to what you have is not the only path...

Old
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
You don't get the Calgary comparison? Really? You don't get it? or you don't to believe the similarities.

I don't want to trade every player over 25. I also don't want to have 3 high end players going into UFA at the same time in 18 months.

Adding to what you have is not the only path...
Are you talking about Calgary over the past two or three years? If so, then no I don't get it. Vanek and Pominville are 6 or 7 years younger than Iginla. They're still young enough to do a mini-rebuild around and still have them in their prime once their younger guys mature.

If you want to truly tank and get a top three pick, then yeah you're right. But that pretty much guarantees they aren't competitive for years. Plus, the Sabres already have their potentially 1st line talent in the system in Grigerenko and Armia.

Just don't understand what they gain by trading Vanek.

I could understand trading one of their UFA's to make cap room for someone like Getzlaf or Perry, but that isn't a guarantee after they trade away their guy.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
Are you talking about Calgary over the past two or three years? If so, then no I don't get it. Vanek and Pominville are 6 or 7 years younger than Iginla. They're still young enough to do a mini-rebuild around and still have them in their prime once their younger guys mature.

If you want to truly tank and get a top three pick, then yeah you're right. But that pretty much guarantees they aren't competitive for years. Plus, the Sabres already have their potentially 1st line talent in the system in Grigerenko and Armia.

Just don't understand what they gain by trading Vanek.

I could understand trading one of their UFA's to make cap room for someone like Getzlaf or Perry, but that isn't a guarantee after they trade away their guy.
I think the Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville line is going to be dominant for years to come and I don't see why anyone would want to mess with it. I say our big UFA's after next year get re-signed. Maybe not Miller. But Vanek and Pominville definitely stay.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I think the Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville line is going to be dominant for years to come and I don't see why anyone would want to mess with it. I say our big UFA's after next year get re-signed. Maybe not Miller. But Vanek and Pominville definitely stay.
I think all 3 get re-signed if we don't make any big aquisitions before then. A perry signing could make it difficult to re-sign all 3.
Pominville 5x5
Vanek 5x5.5
Miller 5x4

Old
02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I think all 3 get re-signed if we don't make any big aquisitions before then. A perry signing could make it difficult to re-sign all 3.
Pominville 5x5
Vanek 5x5.5
Miller 5x4
There's no way Miller would stay for 4 million, he could get 6+ easily on the market. Vanek would probably get 6m+ as well. If we pay Vanek 6 mil and Miller something like 5-5.5 I'll be happy. I can see Pommer taking a sweetheart deal for us.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Remember this past off-season when half this board said Vanek couldn't hold Bobby Ryans jock

Think Anaheim would still do Vanek++ for Ryan?

Vanek had more goals last night then Ryan has points this season.The grass isn't always greener and Vanek is and always will be better then Bobby Ryan.The Vanek you are seeing now is the Vanek that always was, he is just finally getting the premier ice time he deserves since Ruff doesn't have his pet Paul Gaustad to force feed minutes to.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
There's no way Miller would stay for 4 million, he could get 6+ easily on the market. Vanek would probably get 6m+ as well. If we pay Vanek 6 mil and Miller something like 5-5.5 I'll be happy. I can see Pommer taking a sweetheart deal for us.
He'll be 33 yearls old, a 5 year 20 million dollar deal is fair IMO since he'll likely retire when it's done

Old
02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Remember this past off-season when half this board said Vanek couldn't hold Bobby Ryans jock

Vanek had more goals last night then Ryan has points this season.The grass isn't always greener and Vanek is and always will be better then Bobby Ryan.The Vanek you are seeing now is the Vanek that always was, he is just finally getting the premier ice time he deserves since Ruff doesn't have his pet Paul Gaustad to force feed minutes to.
Ryan plays a better all around game, is younger, cheaper, and he doesnt get premier ice either and is on the 2nd PP unit

Old
02-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Pominville 5x5
Vanek 5x5.5
Miller 5x4
wow, they all take pay cuts to stay... interesting

Old
02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
He'll be 33 yearls old, a 5 year 20 million dollar deal is fair IMO since he'll likely retire when it's done
Fair yeah, but somebody will probably give a lot more.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

I call ******** and would like to see this list of 40-50 members that signed off on Vanek++ for Ryan. All I really remember is you comparing his numbers to Stafford and Jame comparing them to Vanek, followed by the usual back and forth full of snark. Jame may be one of the "loudest", but he does not equal half this board. This board and hyperboles.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I call ******** and would like to see this list of 40-50 members that signed off on Vanek++ for Ryan. All I really remember is you comparing his numbers to Stafford and Jame comparing them to Vanek, followed by the usual back and forth full of snark. Jame may be one of the "loudest", but he does not equal half this board. This board and hyperboles.
I wanted to trade Ennis+ for Ryan :shrug:

nice ryan assist tonight

Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Jame
Dream '16

has Ryan been playing Center all year?

Palmieri-Ryan-Selanne 2 goals tonight

Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
has Ryan been playing Center all year?
No, I believe it's his first game, second at most.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
No, I believe it's his first game, second at most.
that's what I thought, i've seen a few periods this year and didn't recall ever seeing it...

drooooooooollllllll

Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wanted to trade Ennis+ for Ryan :shrug:
I recall that and it was my preference as well, but the thread I was remembering had you two listing out yearly PPG comparisons or something and one did Stafford-Ryan, the other Vanek-Ryan.
Quote:
nice ryan assist tonight
A nice little drag indeed.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
wow, they all take pay cuts to stay... interesting
Don't underestimate how much they love that fireplace.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:

Scott - ??? - Kaleta
Now add in Armia and trade Stafford and Ennis for Ryan and we are all set.

Vanek Hodgson Pom
Foligno OReily Ott
Ryan Grigs Armia
Scott Xxx Tropp

Dreams....

Closed Thread