HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
BenchedGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
6 points out of 6 and more solids team play...good going!
But even better than that, Alberga may have found his ass will be planted up in the press box for the remainder of the season, Not sure why they just don't cut him and have a 16 year old take his (I know.... I know he Alberga has experience). What a butt head move by Alberga to ruin Moylans shut-out bid on Saturday.

Opinions.....so who has been the most improved player since Christmas....Sterk or Pederson? IMHO....both have been dynamite!
To be honest I was really down on Pederson last year and for the first 1st half of this season. While sterk is showing me some real heads-up playmaking skills....he'll be a top point getting centremen in the league! Very impressed!
While I think it was the right decision to keep Alberga out of the 3 OA that started the season (Czinder, Hanes, Alberga) because of his PK ability at the beginning of the season was ok, and it seemed he had more jump than the other 2. That was one of the bonehead plays of the season with your "rookie" goaltender bidding for a shutout. I agree that he will be seeing more pine than not, but Spott will still play him. I would rather use him only for an injury fill in for the rest of the year.

I would say Pedersen has improved his play more than Sterk overall from last year. Aside from their development, when Sterk was out, IMO he wasnt missed from the lineup that much. If you lose Pedersen you lose that work down the boards and PWF element.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
BenchedGuy

Guelph's coach Scott Walker complaining about the ref's from last nights game.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports/...poil-storm-run

Old
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Opinions.....so who has been the most improved player since Christmas....Sterk or Pederson?
Kudos to both, but for me it has to be Pedersen. He is starting to look like a 1st round pick. He is asserting himself, using his size and realizing that if he creates space with his body, he has time to make skill plays instead of just chipping it in and cycling.

It's like a light bulb went off in his head.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Kudos to both, but for me it has to be Pedersen. He is starting to look like a 1st round pick. He is asserting himself, using his size and realizing that if he creates space with his body, he has time to make skill plays instead of just chipping it in and cycling.

It's like a light bulb went off in his head.
I tend to agree that it's Pedersen but really wanted to point out the improvement in Sterk!
Continuing with Pedersen, almost all aspects of his game is improved, his physical play is no longer timid like last year and now he bulls his way along the boards and to the bluepaint.
Then his skating is on a complete different level, his acceleration and mobility and strength on his skates is a quantum leap from last season.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
bobber

Quote:
I tend to agree that it's Pedersen but really wanted to point out the improvement in Sterk!
Continuing with Pedersen, almost all aspects of his game is improved, his physical play is no longer timid like last year and now he bulls his way along the boards and to the bluepaint.
Then his skating is on a complete different level, his acceleration and mobility and strength on his skates is a quantum leap from last season.
I agree with you Ward about Sterk. He seems to be getting into the play more now and not backing away from battles as much. Kid has some creative moves and great hockey sense. Pederson really picked up his skating over the summer and is now rounding into form as a first round pick with decent size. He is going to the net more and the results are showing. The only real flaw I see in him is if you watch his hits he seems to let up a bit and not follow through completely.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Special Hockey Benefit Game

Quote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2013, the Kitchener Rangers will host the 6th Annual Rangers Vs Cambridge Ice Hounds and Kitchener Ice Pirates benefit game at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex from 6-9:00 p.m.

Admission to the game is complimentary with monetary donations welcome at the door. Fans who make a donation of $5 or more will be entered into a draw for a chance to win one of five Blackberry Playbooks, furnished by Forbes Motors. All proceeds benefit the Cambridge Ice Hounds and the Kitchener Ice Pirates.

The Ice Hounds and Ice Pirates are two local hockey teams comprised of close to 100 children and adults that have developmental or physical challenges that prevent them from participating in traditional hockey programs. The goal of both teams is to provide individuals with an opportunity to experience the great Canadian game in a setting where there are no age groups, no tryouts, and everyone has a role. Players don't need to know how to skate, hold a stick or handle a puck though many of them do this very well. All that is required is a heart and desire to do what many others take for granted; being part of a team, learning about teamwork and most of all having fun playing Canada’s game. The teams travel all over southwestern Ontario to face other teams in many major cities. Friendships are made during these games and the experiences will last a lifetime.

Each season closes with an annual tournament that brings together teams from across North America and England. Kitchener will play host to the Special Hockey International Tournament in March 2013. There are no elimination rounds, no one team is crowned champion. In our eyes they are all champions.
If you've never gone to one of these games, I highly recommend it. Watching the Ice Hounds and Pirates play for the absolute love of the game, and seeing how the Rangers interact with these special players is enough to melt the heart of a mean old broad like me!

And if that's not enough, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with for this year's rookie dance!

Old
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Special Hockey Benefit Game

If you've never gone to one of these games, I highly recommend it. Watching the Ice Hounds and Pirates play for the absolute love of the game, and seeing how the Rangers interact with these special players is enough to melt the heart of a mean old broad like me!

And if that's not enough, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with for this year's rookie dance!
Who plays goal this year!

Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan32 View Post
Who plays goal this year!
Good question!

This game has brought so many memories over the past five years -- Mason autographing and giving the Hounds' goalie his stick, and asking for the Hounds goalie's autograph in return; Thompson chasing around a little guy to make sure he got into the team photo; one little chatterbox who spent all his time talking to the Rangers; Landeskog playing in net; Mason again going on a breakaway to score and then calling the Ice Hounds' goalie to do the same.

It's such a fantastic game!

Old
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Good question!

This game has brought so many memories over the past five years -- Mason autographing and giving the Hounds' goalie his stick, and asking for the Hounds goalie's autograph in return; Thompson chasing around a little guy to make sure he got into the team photo; one little chatterbox who spent all his time talking to the Rangers; Landeskog playing in net; Mason again going on a breakaway to score and then calling the Ice Hounds' goalie to do the same.

It's such a fantastic game!
It's always been one of the highlights of the season for us (and if the truth be known...I have to think for the Ranger players also)

Old
01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
EvenSteven

According to LoneRanger on Rangersrush (a more than credible source), the price for the Ranger's acquiring Alan Quine at the deadline was Pederson and a pick (I'll assume our 2nd in 2013).

Spott wouldn't do the deal so he was dealt to the Bulls for three 2nd rounders. Since the trade, Quine has 16 points in 8 games and is a plus 13. Most interesting is that 13 of the 16 points are assists. If the Rangers needed anything at the deadline, it was a playmaking center to pick up where Catenacci left off.

Spott did a pretty good job at the deadline picking up the guys he did and we are a lot better this year as a result. Also worth mentioning is that the Sudbury deal was made without having to surrender any of our covetted '95's. But, had he done the Quine deal too, we are arguably the favorite in the west.

How we'd have looked up front with Quine:

Puempel - Quine - Rieder
Leivo - Faksa - Shoenmakers
Thomson - Marcantuoni - Ming
Llewellyn - Sterk - Bailey
Alberga - Meighan

That's Deep!!!

At the end of the day, Pederson has improved quite a bit over the last few months but IMHO, he and the 2nd rounder would have been well worth the cost for Quine but for some reason, it seems Pederson is an untouchable in Spott's eyes.

I see Pederson eventually becoming a Tyler Randell type player without the mean streak. That type of player is a good asset but that missing mean streak is huge.

I'd have done the deal for sure. Spott was able to make the moves he did make relatively cheap when you consider the youth we gave up. Surrendering a piece like Pederson, even though Spott highly covets him, to put us over the top would have been acceptable - especially if it resulted in banner raisings next fall.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Sounds like Alberga plays tonight and Llewellyn sits. While I love how Llewellyn has been playing, Alberga needs to play and against a team like Owen Sound, this is a good choice.

A good measuring stick game tonight -- hopefully we see a solid win.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Sounds like Alberga plays tonight and Llewellyn sits. While I love how Llewellyn has been playing, Alberga needs to play and against a team like Owen Sound, this is a good choice.

A good measuring stick game tonight -- hopefully we see a solid win.
With Alberga running his mouth and agitating, playing him against an undisciplined team like the Attack is a good choice. (well....maybe the first and only time I can say something good about him...hopefully this means he'll pop and cpl goals tonight)

Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 AM
doogie24

Went to the Aud for the first time tonight, really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Leivo/Puempel/Reider is going to be dangerous down the stretch if that line stays together

Old
02-02-2013, 09:03 AM
bobber

When you look at the size of some Attack players I doubt many of them had fear struck in their hearts when they saw Alberga on the ice. Owen Sound played a disciplined game last night. Apparently they are buying into staying out of the box. Two things that kill the Rangers. One is not playing a full sixty minutes of hard hockey. Seems they go missing in the second period frequently. The other is their continued lack of scoring especially on the power play.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Went to the Aud for the first time tonight, really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Leivo/Puempel/Reider is going to be dangerous down the stretch if that line stays together
As an Oiler fan I have been particularly pleased to see how well Rieder has done in adjusting to the move to center.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
bobber

Rieder two goals and an assist today. He has really come alive with Lievo and Puempl.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Rieder two goals and an assist today. He has really come alive with Lievo and Puempl.
My bad. Rieder had a hat trick along with his assist.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:24 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Stole a point from Guelph last night with Murphy's last minute goal with Vienneau on the bench.

I have no idea how the schedule makers figured that 6 games in a short time span was going to lead to Branch's kindler, gentler OHL - by game 6, it's going to be a bloodbath. I love the rivalry again, but Spott has to step up to the plate. Let the dogs out once - and it can't be Puempel. Guelph gave Vienneau a snowshower every chance they could, and outside of a stupid goalie interference call on Marcantuoni, no one was in Sparks' face.

Celebrating a win at centre ice on the Rangers logo also deserves some retribution. You don't allow opposing teams to pull that crap. Ever.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:01 PM
mikester

yes I agree, but I still cant figure out the way Spott rolls his lines,Bailey is rookie of the month a big presence on the ice and only sees 5 shifts

Old
02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
bobber

Spotter just doesn't seem to like any confrontation. I always like a team with some character with at least a few players that have an edge. The way they described Alberga I thought we would see some of that but he's not that noticeable. Same with Schoenmakers. The game against Erie he seemed to get under their skin in the third but really hasn't shown much other than that incident. The grit on our sandpaper is pretty light.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Not a bad week! I'd be happy if they can take 5/6 points against division rivals anytime, but considering it was London and Guelph, it's much better.

A typical London-Kitchener game -- 1 goal differential, playoff atmosphere, and a good game to watch all the way around (and SO much better than the trap crap we had to watch last year between these two).

London is on cruise control right now, so I'm hoping Spott and Co. don't put too much stock into this win. But 2 points against the evil empire works for me!

Anyone surprised Rupert did something stupid? However, the Rangers' PP during the major was putrid and has been for some time. Kitchener's PP strikes fear in the hearts of no one outside of Ranger fans. That has to change if they want to continue to play Spott's kindler, gentler hockey.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Not a bad week! I'd be happy if they can take 5/6 points against division rivals anytime, but considering it was London and Guelph, it's much better.

A typical London-Kitchener game -- 1 goal differential, playoff atmosphere, and a good game to watch all the way around (and SO much better than the trap crap we had to watch last year between these two).

London is on cruise control right now, so I'm hoping Spott and Co. don't put too much stock into this win. But 2 points against the evil empire works for me!

]b]Anyone surprised Rupert did something stupid?[/b] However, the Rangers' PP during the major was putrid and has been for some time. Kitchener's PP strikes fear in the hearts of no one outside of Ranger fans. That has to change if they want to continue to play Spott's kindler, gentler hockey.
Don't be overly surprised that London will start going back to the trap before the playoffs...actually IMHO you can "bank on it"!

As for Woopert, he had to get noticed somehow during the game and since he had zero impact skill wise.
btw...I would'nt be surprised if Griffith doesn't get something along the line of 5 ot 6 games for that intemtioanl high stick on Alberga. The TV cameras caught him in full focus and it was 100% intentional.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Spotter just doesn't seem to like any confrontation. I always like a team with some character with at least a few players that have an edge. The way they described Alberga I thought we would see some of that but he's not that noticeable. Same with Schoenmakers. The game against Erie he seemed to get under their skin in the third but really hasn't shown much other than that incident. The grit on our sandpaper is pretty light.
Welll they both did enough last night to cause 2 very selfish penalties in the third last night. They got under Ryan, Seth skin enough for both to take stupid, selfish penalties. And whats with Griffith arguing the play? Dumb ass move by both

ANd I agree CG, much better games than last year. A PO match up would be much more intense this year I believe.

If Ktown gets a 100% Gibson back for POs this team is right with another 4-5 that really have a shot at the West crown

Last edited by aresknights: 02-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Nuck This

How has Corrado been playing? I noticed he's +18 since joining the team.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
How has Corrado been playing? I noticed he's +18 since joining the team.
Very well. He's so calm with the puck, and makes the right play pretty much every time. He's far more skilled with the puck than I expected to see as well, and he's definitely part of the reason the Rangers have gone on a tear since the deadline.

Closed Thread