HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Ohhh Franco

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Lol i can agree with this technical guys need to stick to their line of work and not transistion to on-air unless they are truly unique and entertaining imo
Yeah, thankfully The Wiz has been kicked to the curb! He was ridiculously annoying and one of the reasons I'd change stations or whatever.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Canadian91

Is Gross gone? Haven't heard him in the past few days.. it's been Simpson and Versage.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Is Gross gone? Haven't heard him in the past few days.. it's been Simpson and Versage.
No I think Lee mentioned at the end of the show that he would be back on Monday.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Finally hockey talk the team could stream from TSN and they go with sports betting infomercials.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
stigs17

Anyone else listen from 12-2pm today? The 7th annual SuperBowl party. Chalk up another bored (of not horrified) $16,000 winner of a week-long SuperBowl trip. The reaction certainly did not convey appreciation. But it keeps the streak alive at 7 now. At least she was taking her son, hopefully he will study New Orleans and hit the right streets.

TEAM 1200: Time to FIRE GROSS AGAIN. Regular listener, he's EASILY the WEAKEST LINK on the Team1200. That's saying something.

Franco- agreed. Time for WARNE to get a PINK SLIP.

Neither would last 30 seconds at Yuk-Yuks. Even on a respectful crowd. Yet in their own narcissism, they think they're entertaining...

TEAM 1200: Listen to Toronto and Montreal radio 2 hours a week and compare to ANYTHING you put out.

Love Arnie Spanier Sunday mornings. The ONLY American on all of your cheap shows who knows hockey. More of the dude!

Choke smarmy egomaniac Brady Choke! 8 years in a row...

Old
01-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
Anyone else listen from 12-2pm today? The 7th annual SuperBowl party. Chalk up another bored (of not horrified) $16,000 winner of a week-long SuperBowl trip. The reaction certainly did not convey appreciation. But it keeps the streak alive at 7 now. At least she was taking her son, hopefully he will study New Orleans and hit the right streets.
I'd be willing to wager that most people are pretty shocked to win something of that nature and then to be thrown in front of 500 people and interviewed live on the radio, most people don't know how to react. But ya, you keep believing that these people aren't appreciative. I'm sure you would be doing cartwheels and acting
like a Mr. Cool Guy!

Old
01-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I'd be willing to wager that most people are pretty shocked to win something of that nature and then to be thrown in front of 500 people and interviewed live on the radio, most people don't know how to react. But ya, you keep believing that these people aren't appreciative. I'm sure you would be doing cartwheels and acting
like a Mr. Cool Guy!
Well i agree in that everyone should be allowed to win no matter reaction etc..., however i believe the poster is referring to the fact that the last handfull of years the winner of said prize has reacted so underwhelmingly it's been strange, having been at this event once or twice recently i have witnessed it. In this case god bless the lady but she was well into her 80's, isn't into sports and won her ticket to the event through rideau carleton, not the sports station....and reacted as you would expect a non sport loving senior to....either way it's a pretty funny/maddening situation for some!

Old
01-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Well i agree in that everyone should be allowed to win no matter reaction etc..., however i believe the poster is referring to the fact that the last handfull of years the winner of said prize has reacted so underwhelmingly it's been strange, having been at this event once or twice recently i have witnessed it. In this case god bless the lady but she was well into her 80's, isn't into sports and won her ticket to the event through rideau carleton, not the sports station....and reacted as you would expect a non sport loving senior to....either way it's a pretty funny/maddening situation for some!
Sounds like awesome radio.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
General Granny*

Has anyone else noticed that Simpson has gone full retard mode with his opinions and views, the ideas and **** that come out of his mouth have become unbearable. I use to look forward to his stuff over MMcGuire in the morning but the last month or so the quality has dropped, he keeps pushing his agenda and opinions on everyone at anytime , especially on people he's interviewing.

A couple of examples is the whole Anderson thing, did he run over his dog, kept mentioning him as not a #1 or being rusty before the season and all this **** and so far has quieted him down.

Same thing about Weircioch, on and on about the guy being tall and lanky, not an NHL dman, shouldn't be in the roster blah blah blah blah. So far Wier has shut him down for a bit.

Now he's onto Latendresse.

Its like there was a switch that went off since last spring, I guess him being away from the game that long has effected him, now he sounds like one of the dumb fans that sometimes call in with 'Trade Spezza'. It kind of makes sensennow why he's still not working in the league.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Todd White is soooo dry on the radio. I have no interest listening to him. It really doesn't even matter what he is saying. I can't listen to him.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Todd White is soooo dry on the radio. I have no interest listening to him. It really doesn't even matter what he is saying. I can't listen to him.
I love todd white. Smart hockey analyst. One of my favs on 1200

Old
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
otown

[QUOTE=General Granny;58327229]Has anyone else noticed that Simpson has gone full retard mode with his opinions and views, the ideas and **** that come out of his mouth have become unbearable. I use to look forward to his stuff over MMcGuire in the morning but the last month or so the quality has dropped, he keeps pushing his agenda and opinions on everyone at anytime , especially on people he's interviewing.

I also enjoyed Simpson when he first arrived to 1200 but am getting a little tired of his self adulation as a former NHL front office guy.
Can't deny this gives him some credibility because he had access to the so-called "inner circle" and the stories can be entertaining most of the time.
As long as he is not afraid to ask the tough questions and push the envelope I'll keep listening. Stick to hockey though!

I've never heard anyone laugh at their own jokes sooooo much!

Old
01-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Ohhh Franco

I enjoy Simpson, but 100% agree with the recent posts about him. He's become quite predictable, repetitive and sometimes annoying, but he's still one of the better sports personalities in our city. He's very personable on Twitter or at The Wood on Wellington!

Old
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
stigs17

Yep, right on the mark by most on here, probably the only informed thread on the Sens board. Simpson is too predictable and brazenly confident on mundane matters, but a solid contact TEAM 1200 lacks.

White and Donovan are vanilla opportunists who could not provide ONE meaningful quote in their NHL careers but are put on the pedestal in Ottawa as post-game analysts.

But having worn Sens gear they will surely get the nod of approval for all the nonsensical superlatives, cliches and other player gibberish. Garbage. Their local fanboys and other bullies/stalkers penetrate these forums.

TEAM 1200: TIME TO FIRE GROSS AND WARNE. Both remarkably annoying and unfunny, top reasons I don't listen anymore!

Old
01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
stigs17

Yep, right on the mark by most on here, probably the only informed thread on the Sens board. Simpson is too predictable and brazenly confident on mundane matters.

White and Donovan are vanilla opportunists who could not provide ONE meaningful quote in their NHL careers but are put on the pedestal in Ottawa as post-game analysts.

But having worn Sens gear they will surely get the nod of approval for all the nonsensical superlatives, cliches and other player gibberish. Garbage.

TIME TO FIRE GROSS AND WARNE. Annoying and unfunny!

Old
01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
ZSensFan

I was a big Simpson fan when he first got hired, but as I feared his ego is exploding and it's more about his opinion than the guy he's interviewing, not cool. His contacts and ability to get guests more than make up for it imho, they've been booking some great interviews.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Spire2000

Geez, the hate here towards radio hosts would be almost funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

No one forces any of you to listen to any of these guys. Think you could do better? Call up JR and ask for an audition.

Would you rather they pile up the radio with recent Algonquin grads like they did a few years ago? You realize that anyone with any real talent is quickly sucked up to the big leagues (see Garry Galley) where they can be paid at a level local radio here can't.

Simpson, while a bit screwy with some opinions, brings on guests at a rate this station has never seen. Gross is simply there to keep things on track, nothing more.

I really don't understand the hate for Steve Warne. He is the voice of the Ottawa fan. Everyone else is a transplant, former pro, or amateur. Steve is the heart and soul of that station (and the Ottawa sports scene), in my opinion.

I'm not a blind cheerleader either. I was firmly against the continued employment of The Dandyman, Glenn Kulka and Jim Jerome.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire2000 View Post
Geez, the hate here towards radio hosts would be almost funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

No one forces any of you to listen to any of these guys. Think you could do better? Call up JR and ask for an audition.

Would you rather they pile up the radio with recent Algonquin grads like they did a few years ago? You realize that anyone with any real talent is quickly sucked up to the big leagues (see Garry Galley) where they can be paid at a level local radio here can't.

Simpson, while a bit screwy with some opinions, brings on guests at a rate this station has never seen. Gross is simply there to keep things on track, nothing more.

I really don't understand the hate for Steve Warne. He is the voice of the Ottawa fan. Everyone else is a transplant, former pro, or amateur. Steve is the heart and soul of that station (and the Ottawa sports scene), in my opinion.

I'm not a blind cheerleader either. I was firmly against the continued employment of The Dandyman, Glenn Kulka and Jim Jerome.
Simpson and Gross are terrible together. They joke around too much and it makes for stupid radio. I like Simpons takes but his thoughts are no match for Gross because he is not on that level of knowledge. When you listen to Prime time sports with Bob McCown no matter who he has on has really good knowledge of the sport in question. This is what I want to hear on the team. This years round tables on game nights have been pretty bad. I want to be entertained by good hockey talk and not a bunch of has beens makeing inside jokes. Bring back the crew from last season. THe one thing I liked was hearing Garrioch get racked over the coals for his opinions. Thats was fun radio. Debating why or why not his thoughts were valid.

I want to hear established journalists talk about hockey with the odd NHL vet thrown in and not the other way around. I want to hear someone challenge Simpson on occasion who knows what they are talking about.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
EJsens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire2000 View Post

It's not a question that complainers here could do a better job if JR gave us the chance. I can't stand the morning show anymore. They talk sporadically about sports and that's what bothers me. They have all the same people emailing in with bad, like real bad jokes whom they read all the time. I've listened to the stations in Toronto or Montreal and on my XM radio in the car. They talk about sports all the time. Not their personal lives, or their 'rink of dreams' in the backyard like we care. The problem too is everyone working at the station think it is great and their friends tell them the same thing.

To be fair to the station and probably why I am hard on them, Ottawa is not a big market city. They have to cater to Carleton basketball or how Junior B teams are doing. You think the Fan 590 would ever do that? No chance. It makes the Team 1200 look bush league, but I guess there is an appetite for it. I know I change the station everytime they bring on the small time personalities.

The ratings argument is a joke when I hear it from people who defend the station. They have no competition. You could put a giraffe in the studio and they would get good numbers.

As for Simpson, he's pretty good. He might have some vendettas or tangents, but at least he knows what he is talking about and can back it up. As others have mentioned, has fantastic connections and is well informed about many sports. Who else on the station can tell the tales like he does? Jason York and his years in Adirondack or Switzerland or Anaheim? Simpson's not perfect on air, but he's refreshing and when he does leave to a better gig, the station will miss him dearly.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Simpson and Gross are terrible together. They joke around too much and it makes for stupid radio. I like Simpons takes but his thoughts are no match for Gross because he is not on that level of knowledge. When you listen to Prime time sports with Bob McCown no matter who he has on has really good knowledge of the sport in question. This is what I want to hear on the team. This years round tables on game nights have been pretty bad. I want to be entertained by good hockey talk and not a bunch of has beens makeing inside jokes. Bring back the crew from last season. THe one thing I liked was hearing Garrioch get racked over the coals for his opinions. Thats was fun radio. Debating why or why not his thoughts were valid.

I want to hear established journalists talk about hockey with the odd NHL vet thrown in and not the other way around. I want to hear someone challenge Simpson on occasion who knows what they are talking about.
Im just glad the god like patriots/brady got knocked out and that the caps have had a poor start or else that is all we would be hearing about!

Old
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
ZSensFan

As I said before, Simpson is a net positive for the station for sure, but a little constructive criticism in a thread about the station is not out of line.

What has surprised me is that Don Brennan has been good when he's talking, if only he didn't try to read emails (or he should take remedial reading). I'm honestly shocked that he's not bad as his columns are usually brutal. Guess it's just reading and writing that are his weak spots, talking he's not bad. He doesn't let his ego get in the way of the guys he's interviewing unlike Simpson.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:47 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

The thing I don't understand about the team1200 is quite simple. They talk about other teams outside the city way more than the Sens.

I take a look at the interviews that they post on their facebook page, and a good 75% of the time, it's a journalist or GM that is in to talk about a team from another city. That doesn't happen in other cities.

Take a look at Calgary for example, where I live. The Fan960 talks about the Flames so much it's unbearable. A good 95% of their content is Flames talk, about 4% is local sports teams (Stampeders, Hitmen, Roughnecks), and then finally 1% is about the rest of the world (mostly other NHL teams or the NFL).
(Quick story: After the Murray press conference, I had to go drive somewhere, so I turn the station on to see if they would talk about the fact that an important player on a Canadian hockey team went down with a long term injury. Nope, they spent 1.5 hours talking about whether it would be a good fit for the Flames to pick up Zach Boychuk off waivers. Not one mention about Spezza, the Sens, or any other team in the NHL.)

What's the point of being the only Ottawa sports radio station when you don't talk about the most important local sports team?

Last edited by PatrickEaves: 02-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSensFan View Post
As I said before, Simpson is a net positive for the station for sure, but a little constructive criticism in a thread about the station is not out of line.

What has surprised me is that Don Brennan has been good when he's talking, if only he didn't try to read emails (or he should take remedial reading). I'm honestly shocked that he's not bad as his columns are usually brutal. Guess it's just reading and writing that are his weak spots, talking he's not bad. He doesn't let his ego get in the way of the guys he's interviewing unlike Simpson.
As I said before, they need to have more JOURNALISTS on the air and less "personalities". The journalists have a higher level of professionalism and can talk about sports in general. The personalities just fill space.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The thing I don't understand about the team1200 is quite simple. They talk about other teams outside the city way more than the Sens.

I take a look at the interviews that they post on their facebook page, and a good 75% of the time, it's a journalist or GM that is in to talk about a team from another city. That doesn't happen in other cities.

Take a look at Calgary for example, where I live. The Fan960 talks about the Flames so much it's unbearable. A good 95% of their content is Flames talk, about 4% is local sports teams (Stampeders, Hitmen, Roughnecks), and then finally 1% is about the rest of the world (mostly other NHL teams or the NFL).

What's the point of being the only Ottawa sports radio station when you don't talk about the most important local sports team?
When I drive around I flip back and forth between the team 1200 and TSN 690. On TSN 690 you hear habs talk from 6 a.m. to at least 11 p.m. Pretty much 75% of the talk is centered around the Habs. They also have many callers throughout the day. For a city that doesn't have an NBA team they have very good segments regarding the NBA in general. They don't broadcast Jim Rome and that's a good thing for me atleast. Used to listen to him all the time but got tired of his opinions and his whole shtick. I would rather listen to hockey talk than all american sports radio.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Ohhh Franco

Looks like TSN Radio and hopefully some improved sports talk will soon be hiting our local airwaves. Here's hoping that Steve Warne is the first one given the boot!!!!!!

http://www.milkmanunlimited.com/tunedin.htm

Closed Thread