HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice record guys!

Old
02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Nice record guys!

Just another thing we share similarities in. (colors, youth, 80s dominance, crappy building)

Glad to see the Oilers brother team of the east doing well.
Hope we can both make it to the playoffs this year! (Asking for a lot I know, but you can always hope!)

Just saying I am glad our teams are both trending up this year and good luck!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Just another thing we share similarities in. (colors, youth, 80s dominance, crappy building)

Hope we can both make it to the playoffs this year! (Asking for a lot I know, but you can always hope!)

i like to think of the oilers as a "sister team"

Most fun team to watch the Oilers, so much young talent, so raw still. They will be deadly in a few years for sure (just like every other hockey-poser-poster is saying)

Isles fans are in SHOCK over how this team is playing. Make no mistake. We're just hoping it lasts for another month or two. Typically by February, this board is HEAVY into the next teenage savior and planning a "tank for [whomever]" along with ridiculous trade offers, like "Bailey and a 2nd rounder for Tyler Seguin"

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
i like to think of the oilers as a "sister team"

Most fun team to watch the Oilers, so much young talent, so raw still. They will be deadly in a few years for sure (just like every other hockey-poser-poster is saying)

Isles fans are in SHOCK over how this team is playing. Make no mistake. We're just hoping it lasts for another month or two. Typically by February, this board is HEAVY into the next teenage savior and planning a "tank for [whomever]" along with ridiculous trade offers, like "Bailey and a 2nd rounder for Tyler Seguin"
I was gonna say that, but I didn't want to come off as a jerk.

Well hopefully you guys keep it up.
You have a tough division, with no loser teams in it like we have Calgary lol

Old
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
OpAck

The similarities, as you mention, are quite funny. Similar rises and falls, colors, the great 1980's, similar rebuild path, arena...it would only be fitting to rise and become top contenders together again.

It'll happen soon. Can't wait. Good luck to you guys over there.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

It is indeed nice to see the Oilers and Isles starting well out of the gate, we've both been crap for a while now. I am concerned with how reliant both teams are on the PP, ES play is sub par for a true playoff contender. If either team can improve that, we might have something brewing.

I find myself watching all the Oilers games after the Isles and those kids look good over there. Hall has really stood out, I love his balls to the wall style and he's the offensive catalyst. Look at Gagner putting up points! We still don't want him though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
I was gonna say that, but I didn't want to come off as a jerk.

Well hopefully you guys keep it up.
You have a tough division, with no loser teams in it like we have Calgary lol
nice shot at the Flames worked in there - well done!

and Isles fans generally have no problem coming off as jerks, we're a poor but proud family here on HF

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It is indeed nice to see the Oilers and Isles starting well out of the gate, we've both been crap for a while now. I am concerned with how reliant both teams are on the PP, ES play is sub par for a true playoff contender. If either team can improve that, we might have something brewing.

I find myself watching all the Oilers games after the Isles and those kids look good over there. Hall has really stood out, I love his balls to the wall style and he's the offensive catalyst. Look at Gagner putting up points! We still don't want him though.
I think it we want to make some noise, we both have to avoid injuries.
And I totally agree with you on the ES scoring.

Gagner has a contract year this year, so he is showing off lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
nice shot at the Flames worked in there - well done!

and Isles fans generally have no problem coming off as jerks, we're a poor but proud family here on HF
We are pretty jerky too. We have to be when we defend our russian celebration machine.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:23 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
We are pretty jerky too. We have to be when we defend our russian celebration machine.
Haha, good for the kid. It's actually refreshing seeing some pure and unadulterated joy in this game, I saw that game and he pumped me up with that goal and celebration. I will say though, he does need to tone it down going forward because it won't go unnoticed around the league if he keeps doing that. No need to rub someone the wrong way which may lead to unnecessary drama.

But you know what? Screw everyone else. Edmonton fans know all about pain (we are kindred in that respect) and they have every right to be proud. Everyone else is just jealous.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Haha, good for the kid. It's actually refreshing seeing some pure and unadulterated joy in this game, I saw that game and he pumped me up with that goal and celebration. I will say though, he does need to tone it down going forward because it won't go unnoticed around the league if he keeps doing that. No need to rub someone the wrong way which may lead to unnecessary drama.

But you know what? Screw everyone else. Edmonton fans know all about pain (we are kindred in that respect) and they have every right to be proud. Everyone else is just jealous.
Well I doubt he will do crazy celly's (sorry) after every goal. He has 4 goals and 1 apple. He only went nuts for one of them, but people that hated it didn't understand the emotion of the entire game. Watching the highlight on its own, would make him look dumb. But if someone knew the context of the full game, they would understand.

I want to see Juan Tavarez sliding across the rink on his knees too. What a gem.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Andong Wang

It seems we've been friendly fanbases for all these years. Hopefully one day we have reason to hate each other again.

Andong Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Not to be a wet blanket, but we've got a long way to go. The wheat tends to separate from the chaff about midway through the season. Although, the truncated season may work in these team's favor.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
Quote:

Thanks. After despising the Oilers for the better part of the mid 80's (you guys killed the "Drive for Five"!) I've sort of taken a liking to them, especially now that you've gone back to your proper jerseys.

Also it's my first season with Game Center Live, and I feel like the Oilers are on almost every night as I'm laying in bed watching and they're typically the most interesting game to watch at that time, so I've been getting much less sleep the past few weeks. lol

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:

Let's revisit after game 20. It wouldn't be the first time the wheels fell off of this buggy for either of our clubs. It is good to see a good opening for both clubs though.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Thanks. After despising the Oilers for the better part of the mid 80's (you guys killed the "Drive for Five"!) I've sort of taken a liking to them, especially now that you've gone back to your proper jerseys.

Also it's my first season with Game Center Live, and I feel like the Oilers are on almost every night as I'm laying in bed watching and they're typically the most interesting game to watch at that time, so I've been getting much less sleep the past few weeks. lol
Ya they are the most exciting because we are always behind and have to tie it up haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Let's revisit after game 20. It wouldn't be the first time the wheels fell off of this buggy for either of our clubs. It is good to see a good opening for both clubs though.
I agree. But I am going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Old
02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
scott99

Quote:

Thanks man, best of luck to your Oilers. I always hated the Oilers in the 80's, especially when they kicked our butt in 1984, but ALWAYS respected them, and the 99 in my name is out of respect for The Great Gretzky.

That being said, I do have a large amount of jealousy towards the amount of amazing young prospects the Oilers have playing for them currently, RNH, Hall, Eberle Yakupov & Shultz, is just an incredible amount of Elite prospects, reminds me so much of the Oilers of the early 80's.

We were lucky Garth Snow was smart enough to pick Tavares in 2009, as well as some other excellent draft picks from 2008-2012, and some waiver wire pickups have really worked out for the Isles, Michael Grabner especially. Too early to get TOO excited, this Isle's defense is still draft lottery worthy, but man, when the Islanders are skating, and on their forecheck, they are definitely harder to play against than last year (can't believe I'm saying that about OUR Islanders, lol).

The Oilers are such an exciting team to watch, I try to catch as many of their games as possible (Thank You NHL Gamecenter !), love watching the guys I talked about above. Hopefully we are on a collision course to meet each other in the Finals again one of these years.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

The mid to latter part of this decade will be (hopefully) just like the early to mid 1980s!

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

Hopfully we could duplicate the 80's. I dont think either franchise would mind

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:46 PM
redsfanhere*

bluejacket fan here just coming to say congrats so far and hoping team continues on their quest to make playoffs good luck the rest of the season

redsfanhere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Hopfully we could duplicate the 80's. I dont think either franchise would mind
I do mind. I hope we could duplicate 80-83, not the rest of those years. Screw Edmonton.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:

As an NYI fan I have always felt a special bond with Edmonton. Easily my favorite team from Canada and in the NHL.
Good luck on the season and please no more #1 overalls its gotten ridiculous

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hi guys!

Bumping an old thread... Because we are super similar again.
We are one point out of the playoffs and you are 2 points into 8th place.

I hope we can both make it into the playoffs this year.

*FINGERS CROSSED*

Old
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Hi guys!

Bumping an old thread... Because we are super similar again.
We are one point out of the playoffs and you are 2 points into 8th place.

I hope we can both make it into the playoffs this year.

*FINGERS CROSSED*

Haha, funny gif.

It's nice to see our teams actually in contention and not planning the draft party already.

I know so many call us 'sister' teams, but we're clearly the more attractive sister.

Good luck the rest of the way. Let's troll the NHL and have an Isles-Oilers Stanley Cup.

Old
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfanhere* View Post
bluejacket fan here just coming to say congrats so far and hoping team continues on their quest to make playoffs good luck the rest of the season
Good luck with the Jackets play-off drive. Would be geat for you to make the play-offs and the Rag$ to miss. Things looking good there, Murray and 3 first round picks this summer.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Haha, funny gif.

It's nice to see our teams actually in contention and not planning the draft party already.

I know so many call us 'sister' teams, but we're clearly the more attractive sister.

Good luck the rest of the way. Let's troll the NHL and have an Isles-Oilers Stanley Cup.
We knock off Chitown, you knock off the Pens.

Deal?

Old
04-03-2013, 03:29 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
We knock off Chitown, you knock off the Pens.

Deal?
I've already called my lawyer and drew up the contract. You should already have my signature on the fax.