HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Being a Sabres fan and watching our little team get bullied the past few years by Boston, this was a total reversal last night. Now John Scott is useless as a "real" hockey player but he did his job perfectly last night. Apparently he patrolled the red line during pre-game warmups, barely touching the puck. He and Thornton jawed a bit while standing there, probably staging their fight less than 2 minutes into the game. Scott handled Thornton in that fight like my big brother handled me when we were kids...just kind of embarrased him while not even trying that hard. For the rest of the game...Lucic, Chara, etc.., none of them wanted anything to do with cheap stuff or having to answer to John Scott. The whole tone of the game was brought back to just skill on skill. Of course at the end, down by 3 Boston wanted to goon it up and set the tone for the re-match next week. Ruff smartly called timeout so he could get Scott back on the ice to neutralize Boston's enforcer (McDermott?). Puck drops, nothing happens, players go home... Boston fans and media whining after the game about their lack of a response to Thornton getting knocked out of the game and Ruff "disrespect" for calling timeout. Too funny. Love it. I love having a legit enforcer again. See you Saturday!
Great post.

This concept is lost on a small but vocal percentage of Canadiens hockey fans.

And it was also lost on the last GM and coach.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Mcquaid is now at 6"5 and 209lbs

and nobody here are saying that Parros is a top 3 fighter in the league, its a ok HEAVYWEIGHT that can fight all the players in this league. oh, and Parros > Moen at fighting, don't kid yourself
Nit picking are we ? Do you have comfirmation of this ? How can you be so sure that he's at 209? I weight myself 5 days a week and I never seen my weight be the same. It varies.

Where did I say that Moen was a better fighter ?

Old
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
FireBergevin
Wild & unwilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its not that we are becoming Boston. Its that we need to become the Montreal Canadiens who would win Stanley Cups.

The last team to do that had Ewen, Odelein, Roberge, Keane, Stevenson.

The Bruins modeled their Stanley Cup winning team after the Cup winning Canadiens teams.
Actually Stevenson played like 1 game that year, and the Canadiens were considered soft & lacked fighters by 1993's standards.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Neil edged prust, how? This was a draw. Bear hug fest.
Sure they can win, it's a damn fight. I could win a fight against GSP for all we know.
Parros is not a heavy weight. He's a damn plug. He's no better than Moen at fighting.
right here

and espn taked weight of each player during the mini-camp
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/3205/adam-mcquaid

Old
02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
firewagon77*

If you want just a fighter who can't play you could get Pierre Luc Letourneau Leblond or you could have claimed Cam Janssen on waivers from the devils yesterday,if you want somebody who is decent should have kept Brad Staubitz.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:49 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
If you want just a fighter who can't play you could get Pierre Luc Letourneau Leblond or you could have claimed Cam Janssen on waivers from the devils yesterday,if you want somebody who is decent should have kept Brad Staubitz.
Pl3 > Staubitz

Old
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Pl3 > Staubitz
Pierre luc can't even skate.. Atleast Staubitz is fastish

Old
02-01-2013, 06:44 PM
bud12

pl3 is a better skater. But its ok that you don't know it considering your poor knowledge in the enforcer department. People think he can't skate just because he's a heavyweight. You probably think Bordeleau can't skate too?

Old
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Pl3 > Staubitz
That's like saying a turd sandwich is better than a giant ******. Not saying much.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Actually Stevenson played like 1 game that year, and the Canadiens were considered soft & lacked fighters by 1993's standards.
Not to mention almost everyone he brings up was a "middleweight" able to play hockey, which apparently isn't good enough. And this was during an era where there was more fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's like saying a turd sandwich is better than a giant ******. Not saying much.
But they fight, and the Bruins have players that can fight, and they won the Cup a few years ago, so if you don't have guys like Staubitz you are a pacifist and love Gauthier, or something.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Not to mention almost everyone he brings up was a "middleweight" able to play hockey, which apparently isn't good enough. And this was during an era where there was more fighting.

But they fight, and the Bruins have players that can fight, and they won the Cup a few years ago, so if you don't have guys like Staubitz you are a pacifist and love Gauthier, or something.
we already know that your a Gauthier fanboy ELT.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Et le But

Quote:
we already know that your a Gauthier fanboy ELT.
You forgot to say I'm a "pacifist" and should watch figure skating.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

still no.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Mrb1p

I feel like this thread is just going nowhere...

The topic has gotten redundant now... No one is giving any arguments and we're all just crapping at each other...

Old
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I feel like this thread is just going nowhere...

The topic has gotten redundant now... No one is giving any arguments and we're all just crapping at each other...
That's because there's really nothing to add to it. Nobody wants to ban fighting, we just disagree over whether a priority is a guy who will beat anyone regardless of how well they can play hockey, vs those of us who think there's bigger concerns out there. There's no evidence that pound for pound fighting matchups like UFC win you hockey games, though there's no evidence it doesn't either.

This isn't a science, there's a reason every team in the NHL doesn't play clones of each other.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

i feel like we don;t need a heavy weight enforcer because therrien has said he wants to build his gameplan around speed and all a heavyweight would do is sit on the bench and slow down the pace of the game when he's out there. i think prust, white and moen are probabley enough,, especially with beaulieu and tinordi coming up..both are guys who will drop them, especially tinordi...he'l wreck guys...when he was in the pre season game last year he went with zack smith...a pretty tough customer and he handled himself quite well i thought

Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
i feel like we don;t need a heavy weight enforcer because therrien has said he wants to build his gameplan around speed and all a heavyweight would do is sit on the bench and slow down the pace of the game when he's out there. i think prust, white and moen are probabley enough,, especially with beaulieu and tinordi coming up..both are guys who will drop them, especially tinordi...he'l wreck guys...when he was in the pre season game last year he went with zack smith...a pretty tough customer and he handled himself quite well i thought
Therrien as always stated that he wanted a heavyweight. He even called them " big brothers"

Old
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Well said, sir! Apparently, we'll need a Miller-type incident for our fans to realize that we can't compete against Boston just with skill. The problem is that none of our D can fight and the tougher guys like Moen and Prust don't scare guys like Thornton and Lucic. So if you end up with both Gallys on the ice and one of our D pairings, then Prust is on his own and one of the kids is going to get injured.

Kudos to Ruff for the timeout. That was classic Julien to try to send a message with a few seconds left. Fantastic move to put Scott back on the ice. Must have felt really good for Sabres fans.
This is why Montreal makes me mad. Apparently we don't mind watching our skilled players get killed. Buffalo does. This makes skilled players on buffalo much happier.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:47 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Scott doing that to Thornton in Boston wearing a Habs jersey would have been worth the contract alone.

Hoping he gets to tune up Chara next.
100% agree brother. Nothing worse for me than watching goons beat up or injure my skill players.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
HabsFan33Zero

I can't see how it would be a bad thing.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Therrien as always stated that he wanted a heavyweight. He even called them " big brothers"
Then I pray he gets one- big and bad.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:57 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Then I pray he gets one- big and bad.
And if he can play hockey, I'm sure Bergevin will be open to signing him.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:43 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Revisionist history?

Lyle Odelein fought Bob Probert, Joey Kocur, Dave Brown, Marty McSorley, Brent Severyn, Tim Hunter and others..........and that was in one single year.

NONE of those guys I mentioned who Odelein fought were considered "middleweights".

Todd Ewen was 6' 3", 230 lbs. Middleweight?

History is lost on some.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
At least a Giant ****** is hygienic.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
And if he can play hockey, I'm sure Bergevin will be open to signing him.
We see things differently friend.
Watching the Sabres game proves my point. Scott did more for buffalo last night than Armstrong or White will ever do for us.

Closed Thread