HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey's Master Plan: RFAs?

Old
07-02-2006, 12:09 AM
HabsoluteFate

vCash: 500
Gainey's Master Plan: RFAs?

Perhaps his master plan is he has already told the agents of certain RFAs to wait before signing anything with their respective teams...perhaps he wants to wait until most GMs have spent too much money already before having signed their RFAs and then go in for the kill....odds are the team in question would not be able to match and if they do they will have to make some major changes that could cost them dearly? For example Spezza & Havlat aren't signed yet with Ottawa so they probably would have a hard time matching a signature sheet for either one (although i wouldnt take the chance with Havlat considering he already said he wants to be a UFA next season...unless he takes a deal longer than 1 year)...just one example there are other teams out there getting dangerously high

So what RFAs are left?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Why not. Let`s go for it. spezza? yahoo I would take him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:17 AM
HabsoluteFate

So what's the RFA list like?

Old
07-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
So what's the RFA list like?
Ones that come to mind right away are....

Spezza
Pitkanen
Bergeron
Dipietro

hmm, I'll think of more when i'm not so tired.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:24 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Perhaps his master plan is he has already told the agents of certain RFAs to wait before signing anything with their respective teams...perhaps he wants to wait until most GMs have spent too much money already before having signed their RFAs and then go in for the kill....odds are the team in question would not be able to match and if they do they will have to make some major changes that could cost them dearly? For example Spezza & Havlat aren't signed yet with Ottawa so they probably would have a hard time matching a signature sheet for either one (although i wouldnt take the chance with Havlat considering he already said he wants to be a UFA next season...unless he takes a deal longer than 1 year)...just one example there are other teams out there getting dangerously high

So what RFAs are left?
I think GMs with significant RFAs have budgeted to cover offers from other teams.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:27 AM
davey999

Quote:

So what RFAs are left?
This is called "grasping at straws"...

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:28 AM
sandman08

teams can match the offer sheets as long as their total payroll does not exceed 48.4 million (max) and then have a set period of time to lower their payroll to the allowed 44 million (or lower in all liklihood)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:38 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
teams can match the offer sheets as long as their total payroll does not exceed 48.4 million (max) and then have a set period of time to lower their payroll to the allowed 44 million (or lower in all liklihood)
New Jersey is very high at the moment and still have Gionta & Gomez to sign

Old
07-02-2006, 07:48 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
New Jersey is very high at the moment and still have Gionta & Gomez to sign

Yeah, New Jersey is already at about $39million in contracts according to TSN and Gionta and Gomez not on the list. Here is the link to New Jersey's payroll:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2704&hubname=

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:02 AM
A1
Everything is awful

Gainey's master plan is to let everyone blow their load on UFAs and then make trades with those teams desperate to unload someone to get under the cap.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Riffo*

Gayney doesn't have a plan.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15 View Post
Ones that come to mind right away are....

Spezza
Pitkanen
Bergeron
Dipietro

hmm, I'll think of more when i'm not so tired.
Ruutu

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Kafka

Ruutu's career might be over (Tuommo).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:56 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Ruutu's career might be over (Tuommo).
That's unlikely. Tuommo's been quoted as wanting to return to the NHL, but wanting to enjoy his summer before he makes any decisions. If someone's willing to take a $1m flyer on Arnason, Ruutu will get it too.

Also, how does sending an offer sheet to DiPietro help us at all? I don't want to give up first round picks when we already have a #1, and a decent backup. I'd love to see Havlat in a Habs jersey, but a centre (Spezza) would satisfy our needs better.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:57 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffo View Post
Gayney doesn't have a plan.
Thats a baseless, idiotic assumption.

And I'll explain it to you once you learn how to spell the Montreal Canadien's GM's name.

Old
07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
Thats a baseless, idiotic assumption.

And I'll explain it to you once you learn how to spell the Montreal Canadien's GM's name.
I think he intentionally spelt that way.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:02 AM
KaptainKourage*

I dont want Bergeron or Spezza here. Neither DiPietro. I want Ruutu or Horcoff. Hell, even Pitkanen or Stoll...

Let sign Ruutu at 3M, I think he would be glad to leave Chicago and come play with a finnish friend. Maybe we could sign Jarkko Ruutu too so he really would like to come here ??

At 3M, we need to give a 1st + a 3rd

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:04 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I think he intentionally spelt that way.
If that's the case, I won't even bother.

Its not very practical trying to explain business management to that level of maturity

Old
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999 View Post
Davey, since you're posts are usually just witty one liners, why don't you expand a bit. My thinking is that the ufa's that intererest the team had offers made to them yesterday, some were made at a number that met or exceeded the figure that was accepted. I don't know this to be true, just as you don't know it isn't.

So if offers are being rejected, who's to blame ? Is Montreal still perceived as an undesirable place to play ? By what % does the CH have to overpay ? Why is the city perceived that way ? Players talk, is word of mouith a problem ?

Do you really believe that Gainey has no idea what to do and has only made low ball offers ? It's simpler to think so, keeps us from having to do much thinking I guess. Are the teams that made moves clearly better going forward ?

I wonder if the right move is using your mid level contracts for an unwanted contract somewhere else ? EG, Zed for Lang improves us positionnally and only adds a bit more than 3 to the cap.

Give us a rest with the snotty lines and discuss hockey for a change.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:22 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Davey, since you're posts are usually just witty one liners, why don't you expand a bit. My thinking is that the ufa's that intererest the team had offers made to them yesterday, some were made at a number that met or exceeded the figure that was accepted. I don't know this to be true, just as you don't know it isn't.

So if offers are being rejected, who's to blame ? Is Montreal still perceived as an undesirable place to play ? By what % does the CH have to overpay ? Why is the city perceived that way ? Players talk, is word of mouith a problem ?

Do you really believe that Gainey has no idea what to do and has only made low ball offers ? It's simpler to think so, keeps us from having to do much thinking I guess. Are the teams that made moves clearly better going forward ?

I wonder if the right move is using your mid level contracts for an unwanted contract somewhere else ? EG, Zed for Lang improves us positionnally and only adds a bit more than 3 to the cap.

But he's a realist, mcphee. He know better than all of us.

Old
07-02-2006, 10:37 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I was just responding to your one liner...

Players don't feel like this team is committed to winning. Too much media pressure that they don't have to deal with anywhere else. And I also think Gainey and the organization overrate their own players ie. Bouillion.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
kevinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post

So what RFAs are left?
Not going to happen . There will be no offer sheets. You're dreaming.

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Players don't feel like this team is committed to winning. Too much media pressure that they don't have to deal with anywhere else. And I also think Gainey and the organization overrate their own players ie. Bouillion.
On defense you can argue continuity against bringing in a new guy, but if you mean over pay by over rate, I'll agree. I'm not sure that the team would be better off this year by walking away from Bouillon. Half million here and there and it adds up. I don't believe players have an opinion about the team's commitment. If the offer's on the table, isn't that evidence in itself ? I believe that players here stories about Mtl., fair or unfair, and perceive Montreal negatively. I won't discuss Koivu's press conference again, it's a separate issue, but the fallout got noticed by players around the league. Some guys shrug that off, some don't.

I still think the value of Zednik,Ribs,Souray and co. has been set. If the team knows that they can't move these players for futures, they have to use them for other players. If that's the case, they have to trade rather than make the big ufa splash.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

I don't agree with Bouillion being overrated...he does his job well. He is a solid 5th or 6th defencemen. He plays good D. You don't see him getting undressed like Souray got by Spezza!!! He makes smart decisions and he is a hard worker too. If only the rest of the team gave the same effort every night.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

Habs fans are pretty precious sometimes, aren't we?

Ok... let's get (Lecavalier/Richards/Luongo/St.Louis/etc).

No wait, Bob didn't do that.

Ok... we're gonna play big on the UFA market... Elias, Arnott, Kubina.

No wait, Bob didn't do that.

Well obviously the only reason must be that he's waiting to become the first radical maverick GM to start poaching on the RFA list. Yeah, that's it.

Occam, Occam, Occam...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote