HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green + Brooks Laich for a top 6 power forward

Old
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
I love getting the popcorn ready whenever puckgenius makes a thread. Always gold, pure goooold.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Green's looked as good this year as he has in a long, long time.

He'd return a top-6 PF himself. No need to add Laich to the deal.

That's not even mentioning that the last thing the Caps need to do is remove mobility from their defense.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Score View Post
You'd have to give us Pitkanen and Faulk, and then maybe a 1st round draft pick for Laich. Which would never happen. Like ever.
No, no we wouldn't.

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Green's looked as good this year as he has in a long, long time.

He'd return a top-6 PF himself. No need to add Laich to the deal.

That's not even mentioning that the last thing the Caps need to do is remove mobility from their defense.
Defensively yes, agree.. but that jump in offense is not there and maybe never will be. He might be/become better player this way, though.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'm still unsatisfied with Green's play on the powerplay this season. He's playing very solid defense and is doing very well at preventing us from getting stuck in our own zone (even if he's not attacking in transition as much as he used to), but his powerplay presence leaves much to be desired. Both he and Backstrom are taking too long to decide what to do with the puck, and Green isn't delivering passes with enough precision to keep the play moving quickly (ie, the reciever can't get off a one-timer or one-touch pass). He's also not walking the line enough.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Animus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
oh great, another one of these HF posters

all prospects=star NHL players

the chnaces Sproul ever comes close to being as NHL productive as Mike Green is about maybe 5%
No, I am not one of those. You obviously don't watch Washington games cause you are still thinking about the Mike Green from 3 years ago that puts up 20 goals and 40 assists and scored a goal in 8 straight games to break an NHL record or the Mike Green that goes out and parties all night before a big game 7 against Pittsburgh only to get spanked the following night.

Sproul might never become what he could be (or what Green was) but if he is 2% as productive as Green is now, I'll take it (it will be better than Quincey and Kindl). Ask a Caps fan what they thought of Green's defense while he was producing "OMG he's a defensive liability but at least he scores" is probably what you would hear. Now he's A LOT better defensively but still has a lot to show in the injury department. Still definitely not worth 6.083 mil a year or worth trading two "could be" decent players. You don't give them the chance, never know what they could be. I'm glad "too small, can't play in the NHL" Pavel Datsyuk got his chance. Thanks for trying to categorize me though.

Last edited by Animus: 02-01-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: forgot to include
Animus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Garbage Goal

As a Flyers fan id give Hartnell for that. Maybe a bit more in a third liner you want not named Read or Simmonds. I don't even like Green either.

I'd give up Hartnell+Fedotenko for Green+Laich but that's it and I doubt other Philly fans would. Caps fans need Green more then Hartnell too. Still, value wise it isn't far apart.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I'm still unsatisfied with Green's play on the powerplay this season. He's playing very solid defense and is doing very well at preventing us from getting stuck in our own zone (even if he's not attacking in transition as much as he used to), but his powerplay presence leaves much to be desired. Both he and Backstrom are taking too long to decide what to do with the puck, and Green isn't delivering passes with enough precision to keep the play moving quickly (ie, the reciever can't get off a one-timer or one-touch pass). He's also not walking the line enough.
Just have to hope that comes with time, as they get used to the 1-3-1. Both of them have to be a lot more careful with the puck now with just one guy on the blueline, and I think that's getting in their heads and making them hesitate.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Green and Laich fit the Oilers needs quite well though not ideally. Any chance they could be in on this without involving the big five?
Lol no

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Carlson makes Green expendable, no?
in a word. no. green is now playing carlson's shut down pair puck mover role and is on the first pp and first pk unit.

the only question on green right now is durability. his defensive game has evolved and his offensive game seems to be returning as well.

in short of the caps first 17 goals against carlson was on for 12. green was on for 1. i will have to check and confirm but i think by now carlson is up to 20 and green at 2.

the caps are not going to grade mike green.

edit. after checking the current results. the caps have given up 25 goals. carlson has been on ice for 16. green has been on for 2.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
No, I am not one of those. You obviously don't watch Washington games cause you are still thinking about the Mike Green from 3 years ago that puts up 20 goals and 40 assists and scored a goal in 8 straight games to break an NHL record or the Mike Green that goes out and parties all night before a big game 7 against Pittsburgh only to get spanked the following night.

Sproul might never become what he could be (or what Green was) but if he is 2% as productive as Green is now, I'll take it (it will be better than Quincey and Kindl). Ask a Caps fan what they thought of Green's defense while he was producing "OMG he's a defensive liability but at least he scores" is probably what you would hear. Now he's A LOT better defensively but still has a lot to show in the injury department. Still definitely not worth 6.083 mil a year or worth trading two "could be" decent players. You don't give them the chance, never know what they could be. I'm glad "too small, can't play in the NHL" Pavel Datsyuk got his chance. Thanks for trying to categorize me though.
absolutely not, i have and i do watch Mike Green and no, I dont think he will ever reach 75pts in a season again. I do think his defensive game has improved from those days and perhaps as a result his offensive game has dropped.

But I am not asking or wanting 75pt Green as I think on Detroit he would easily be a reliable 45-50pt dman, easily our best first pass dman, used the #1pp quaterback and allow Kronwall to slip into a more comfortable #2 role.

i dont think detroit is going to let every single prospect "have a chnace" to make the club and that most likely some will be moved to acquire actual/proven NHL talent.

as for his injuries, jason spezza is one of the most injury prone players in the game and yet, remains one of the most dominant, a player i would trade for everyday of the week, regardless of his suppossed shortcomings or injury history(he is out again for basically the rest of the season).

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
oh great, another one of these HF posters

all prospects=star NHL players

the chnaces Sproul ever comes close to being as NHL productive as Mike Green is about maybe 5%
That percentage is a little higher than you are letting on. The chances he becomes 70 point Mike Green aren't great, but then again the chances Mike Green starts playing like that guy again are actually probably less than Sproul at this point. Keep in mind Sproul has put up the exact amount of points Dougie Hamilton did in the OHL this season in the same amount of games and he has 14 goals to Hamilton's 8. Not saying he is a star, but he is a legit prospect and one the Wings shouldn't be shopping for damaged goods.

Have no problem shopping Jurco in this package, would keep Sproul out of it.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Just have to hope that comes with time, as they get used to the 1-3-1. Both of them have to be a lot more careful with the puck now with just one guy on the blueline, and I think that's getting in their heads and making them hesitate.
This isn't the first time they've played in a 1-3-1 powerplay, though. They started last year using it as well, prior to Boudreau being fired. Granted, Ovechkin was in the high slot rather than on the end of the umbrella.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
OCPenguin

I'm not sure that combo brings you much of a second line power forward. Green is an injury risk and he isn't playing well at all. He isn't the point producer he once was - not even close.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Lol no
Fair enough but it's not unreasonable to ask. The big four are worth way more than both of those players combined and Schultz isn't exactly getting moved anytime soon as he fills a need himself. It's not like we're discussing franchise players here (Green isn't one anymore).

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote