HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny

Old
02-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Haha, that's awesome. You see them (Stastny and Wheeler) play much?
not even once live, only in TV. I hate Munich

CroKaas, who posted here and I know, has seen them every time in Munich. He was all over them. He even got the chance to talk to Stastny. His brother Yan told Paul only good things about STL

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post

That is a bunch of expendable pieces + 2nd from the Leafs in exchange for filling the biggest need of the whole Leafs organisation besides goaltending.

Stazz contract is not great but if a team can afford it , it is the Leafs.

Meanwhile in Denver, Greg Sherman just felt a shudder.

If he did even think about making this trade he should be fired on the spot and banned from Denver.
Here's my honest question for Avs fans....

We see other teams fans propose 2 or 3 pieces for Stastny, and it's generally well recieved. But when the Leafs do so, the very notion is instantly rejected. A double-standard is certainly being applied here.

Yes, those pieces may be expendable by the Leafs (I'd argue otherwise, but that's another topic). Yes, Stastny might fill the biggest hole in our lineup, but neither of those considerations have any impact on the Colorado Avalanche. When trading, or specifically, shopping a player like Stastny, you worry about your needs, and what teams as a collective are prepared to give up for him. The considerations for the Avs are, what Stastny does for the team going forward, what the players you'd recieve for Stastny do for the team going forward, and what the players you could recieve for Stastny (in an alternative deal) do for the team going forward.

Of course, there's a case to be made that the desired piece from Toronto would be Phaneuf, but that's just not going to happen. If Calgary was prepared to offer Bouwmeester, that would probably make more sense than any other deal if the Avs are ok with trading him for an older player who has basically the exact same contract remaining.

However, as we get closer to that contract's expiry, it's going to become increasingly difficult to get immediate help, as he becomes more of a rental. If the Avs don't intend to extend his contract, then they'd certainly be in their best interest trading him while another team can be confident in their ability to build up a "hometown comfort level" -- i.e. not at next year's deadline, assuming of course that the Avs are intent on being cup contenders in the next couple of years.

Am I saying that Bozak+MacArthur+Gunnarsson+2nd is the right deal for Stastny? No. It's I'm not even saying that the Leafs would be prepared to make that move. It's 2 impending UFAs and 1 guy who's a year away for a team that's in a similar position to the Leafs as far as building for the future goes. On the Toronto standpoint, getting Bozak/Gunnarsson locked up long term should be substantially easier than Colorado trying to do it.

I'm simply saying that a deal cannot be dismissed because it's quantity, if the intention isn't to resign Stastny, and nobody is prepared to do a 1-for-1 deal to your liking.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-01-2013 at 06:23 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:48 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

I'm simply saying that a deal cannot be dismissed because it's quantity, if the intention isn't to resign Stastny, and nobody is prepared to do a 1-for-1 deal to your liking.
I think too many people on here take themselves and most of these trade proposals far too seriously and think that anything posted here could well happen. I don't know why people bother really. Just go and play a sim game and all duke it out there rather than argue over all the same **** every time.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Teatowel View Post
I think too many people on here take themselves and most of these trade proposals far too seriously and think that anything posted here could well happen. I don't know why people bother really. Just go and play a sim game and all duke it out there rather than argue over all the same **** every time.
+1, although I've been known to contribute to the stupidity at times.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Here's my honest question for Avs fans....

We see other teams fans propose 2 or 3 pieces for Stastny, and it's generally well recieved. But when the Leafs do so, the very notion is instantly rejected. A double-standard is certainly being applied here.

Yes, those pieces may be expendable by the Leafs (I'd argue otherwise, but that's another topic). Yes, Stastny might fill the biggest hole in our lineup, but neither of those considerations have any impact on the Colorado Avalanche. When trading, or specifically, shopping a player like Stastny, you worry about your needs, and what teams as a collective are prepared to give up for him. The considerations for the Avs are, what Stastny does for the team going forward, what the players you'd recieve for Stastny do for the team going forward, and what the players you could recieve for Stastny (in an alternative deal) do for the team going forward.

Of course, there's a case to be made that the desired piece from Toronto would be Phaneuf, but that's just not going to happen. If Calgary was prepared to offer Bouwmeester, that would probably make more sense than any other deal if the Avs are ok with trading him for an older player who has basically the exact same contract remaining.

However, as we get closer to that contract's expiry, it's going to become increasingly difficult to get immediate help, as he becomes more of a rental. If the Avs don't intend to extend his contract, then they'd certainly be in their best interest trading him while another team can be confident in their ability to build up a "hometown comfort level" -- i.e. not at next year's deadline, assuming of course that the Avs are intent on being cup contenders in the next couple of years.

Am I saying that Bozak+MacArthur+Gunnarsson+2nd is the right deal for Stastny? No. It's I'm not even saying that the Leafs would be prepared to make that move. It's 2 impending UFAs and 1 guy who's a year away for a team that's in a similar position to the Leafs as far as building for the future goes. On the Toronto standpoint, getting Bozak/Gunnarsson locked up long term should be substantially easier than Colorado trying to do it.

So basically you're playing the pity card? I'm sorry, that is ridiculous. There is no double standard here. Look no further than this thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335341

Could you perhaps provide links to these other offers from other teams that are equivalent to offers from Leafs that Avs fans liked?

I agree. What the Leafs view as expendable or if it fills the Leafs needs should be irrelevant to the Avs. We only really care about our own team. If we trade Stastny as of right now, we have a huge hole in our lineup. Our center depth would look like Duchene, ???, Mitchell. That is a huge hole there. Would someone like Bozak fill that? Not really, sorry. Duchene, Bozak, Mitchell down the middle is pretty bad. If we are taking that big a hit to our center depth, we better be receiving something worthwhile in return. I'm looking at the Gunnerson, MacArthur, Bozak, 2nd offer here. Could you make the case Bozak is not that big a downgrade on Stastny? Sure. If you only look at stats. Stastny had 53 points last year, Bozak had 47. However, Bozak was playing alongside one of the top snipers in the league in Kessel, and Lupul, who had a great season. Bozak had a career high 47 points, playing with two excellent players who can put the puck in the net. Before last year, his career high was 32 points. That scares me. What happens when you put him with David Jones and Jamie McGinn. That would scare me. We might think we're getting a viable 2nd line center replacement, when in fact were getting a 30 point player with the type of linemates he would have here. If you gave Stastny Kessel and Lupul, and Bozak Jones and McGinn, I don't think anyone would dare say Stastny and Bozak are even close. Lets look at the other pieces. MacArthur. I doubt the Avs will be making the playoffs this year. I just don't see it. So, why would we need an upcoming UFA MacArthur?? Sure, we could use a replacement for Downie, and if MacCarthur came cheaply, I would want him, but as a key piece in us losing Stastny? We really don't need him that badly. We can just wait until next year until Downie comes back. MacArthur is a decent piece, but not an incentive. Gunnerson I'm not exactly sure about. I know he played well last year, but before that, I certainly don't think he stood out. He is a top 4 D? Maybe. I view him as a #4 guy ideally. Would he work well with Johnson? I'm not sure. If you could provide more insight on him, that would be appreciated. From what I know, if we are trading Stastny, I would want someone better. You can say we won't get Phaneuf or someone like that, and that is fine. We CAN keep Stastny.

Now what annoys me most about what you said, is that you're basing this off the premise that Stasnty won't re-sign. I know this entire board is based off speculation, but that seems way to much speculation for my liking. So much will depend on if we want to keep Stastny or if he wants to stay here. What direction is our team going? Is O'Reilly signed? If we finish low this year, who do we draft? How well did he play this year and next year? Far to many variables to speculate that, sorry. That is like me speculating on Phil Kessel. I'm not going to do that. Lets try and keep things a tad realistic.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Avec Fromage*

The argument that Stastny's point totals have decreased purely because of who he plays with is moronic. "Oh, if Stastny played with *insert star player* then he would have 70~ points!" Of course he'd have that many points with a PPG winger, but Stastny's job is to make his wingers better - not the other way around.

Every year, he scores less points and every year, Avs fans blame his wingers and claim he's a star centre or could easily regain that status. I don't see it. And at $6.6M and the ludicrous price tag that Avs fans demand, I have no interest.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
The argument that Stastny's point totals have decreased purely because of who he plays with is moronic. "Oh, if Stastny played with *insert star player* then he would have 70~ points!" Of course he'd have that many points with a PPG winger, but Stastny's job is to make his wingers better - not the other way around.

Every year, he scores less points and every year, Avs fans blame his wingers and claim he's a star centre or could easily regain that status. I don't see it. And at $6.6M and the ludicrous price tag that Avs fans demand, I have no interest.
hum so IF Stastny passes the puck to his winger and the winger misses the empty net its Stastny's fault now...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post

I know it's staz' fault that McGinn aims for the post instead of the back of the net and so has yet to score instead of having 5+ goals, but Paul's really done just about anything that he can to fix that.

As for his point totals, he's been at a PPG pace all throughout his career other than the 2011 calendar year. So it's not like his production has really even dropped despite the weaker wingers. And saying that a top playmaker needs to be playing with top 6 wingers is hardly a stretch. Stewie wasn't a star winger, sober Jones wasn't a star winger, old Duke wasn't a star winger, old Smyth wasn't a star winger either, yet Staz was a PPG player with those guys.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
So basically you're playing the pity card? I'm sorry, that is ridiculous. There is no double standard here. Look no further than this thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335341

Could you perhaps provide links to these other offers from other teams that are equivalent to offers from Leafs that Avs fans liked?

I agree. What the Leafs view as expendable or if it fills the Leafs needs should be irrelevant to the Avs. We only really care about our own team. If we trade Stastny as of right now, we have a huge hole in our lineup. Our center depth would look like Duchene, ???, Mitchell. That is a huge hole there. Would someone like Bozak fill that? Not really, sorry. Duchene, Bozak, Mitchell down the middle is pretty bad. If we are taking that big a hit to our center depth, we better be receiving something worthwhile in return. I'm looking at the Gunnerson, MacArthur, Bozak, 2nd offer here. Could you make the case Bozak is not that big a downgrade on Stastny? Sure. If you only look at stats. Stastny had 53 points last year, Bozak had 47. However, Bozak was playing alongside one of the top snipers in the league in Kessel, and Lupul, who had a great season. Bozak had a career high 47 points, playing with two excellent players who can put the puck in the net. Before last year, his career high was 32 points. That scares me. What happens when you put him with David Jones and Jamie McGinn. That would scare me. We might think we're getting a viable 2nd line center replacement, when in fact were getting a 30 point player with the type of linemates he would have here. If you gave Stastny Kessel and Lupul, and Bozak Jones and McGinn, I don't think anyone would dare say Stastny and Bozak are even close. Lets look at the other pieces. MacArthur. I doubt the Avs will be making the playoffs this year. I just don't see it. So, why would we need an upcoming UFA MacArthur?? Sure, we could use a replacement for Downie, and if MacCarthur came cheaply, I would want him, but as a key piece in us losing Stastny? We really don't need him that badly. We can just wait until next year until Downie comes back. MacArthur is a decent piece, but not an incentive. Gunnerson I'm not exactly sure about. I know he played well last year, but before that, I certainly don't think he stood out. He is a top 4 D? Maybe. I view him as a #4 guy ideally. Would he work well with Johnson? I'm not sure. If you could provide more insight on him, that would be appreciated. From what I know, if we are trading Stastny, I would want someone better. You can say we won't get Phaneuf or someone like that, and that is fine. We CAN keep Stastny.

Now what annoys me most about what you said, is that you're basing this off the premise that Stasnty won't re-sign. I know this entire board is based off speculation, but that seems way to much speculation for my liking. So much will depend on if we want to keep Stastny or if he wants to stay here. What direction is our team going? Is O'Reilly signed? If we finish low this year, who do we draft? How well did he play this year and next year? Far to many variables to speculate that, sorry. That is like me speculating on Phil Kessel. I'm not going to do that. Lets try and keep things a tad realistic.
No pity card... just reality.

As for the rest of your post, this entire thread is predicated on O'Reilly resigning, and the likelyhood that Stastny probably won't want to resign given that the Avs would presumably be building around Duchene/O'Reilly. No other team is going to value him at a point-per-game 26-year old centre like Avs fans in this thread seem to want to do. If that's the valuation on him, he won't get traded.

The reality is, if O'Reilly returns and does so at a similar calibre to the player he was last year, while Duchene continues to develop, there's not going to be room for Paul Stastny. Of course, time will tell whether those two things happen, but as time goes on, the ability to to get immidiate help (as the OP indicated he was looking for) will likely diminish.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-01-2013 at 10:58 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:03 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
This is weird. I thought Colorado wasn't trading Stastny for anything but an overpayment and every other team in league weren't interested in over paying?
Two years ago Avs fans were adamant that he was better than Kopitar. Lol.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:12 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
The turning point of Stastny's car was right before the 2011 calendar year, when he cut that gypsy woman off and she cursed him for the next 365 days.
So what's his excuse now?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:13 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This year and then next season and then UFA.

He won't be traded though. As Lonewolfe said, he could have 5-6 points right now, McGinn seems to AIM for the posts and he's not missing and Jones is completely missing in action right now. They'll both come around though.

Stastny will probably get a 3 point game tomorrow and Avs fans will get off his back.
Paul Stastny: amnesty candidate.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post

Actually ....no

He likely could perform better with a change of scenery.

since his contract only runs through next season a team trading for him at the deadline is effectively paying about $7.5M for 2 playoff runs.....a much better value than 1 run for $6M.

So he gets dealt at the deadline.

Since he only has one year on his contract its silly to use amnesty on him if you have other bad contracts. If colorado is below the cap next year they can handle the contract rather than waste a mulligan on him.

The issue with him has been the last year.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:34 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I have wanted this guy for years he's the perfect fit

JVR Statsny Kessel

Lupul Grabovski Kuliemin

Frattin Kadri Karmanov if Kadri and Frattin can keep up their current play thats a deep top 9

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Actually ....no

He likely could perform better with a change of scenery.

since his contract only runs through next season a team trading for him at the deadline is effectively paying about $7.5M for 2 playoff runs.....a much better value than 1 run for $6M.

So he gets dealt at the deadline.

Since he only has one year on his contract its silly to use amnesty on him if you have other bad contracts. If colorado is below the cap next year they can handle the contract rather than waste a mulligan on him.

The issue with him has been the last year.
You're arguing with Ron Swanson mate, I advise you to let him be if you value your sanity.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 06:01 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
You're arguing with Ron Swanson mate, I advise you to let him be if you value your sanity.
Good idea.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
We'll buy out Stastny if you buy out Kessel.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
He's a Kings fanboy.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
cgf

Quote:
So what's his excuse now?
Why would he need an excuse? It's early in a season where a lot of guys are rusty, his wingers will stop whiffing eventually and he'll end up around PPG for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He's a Kings fanboy.
I'd be cool with a Doughty buyout, he may be an unbearable ******-monger, but the man knows how to hockey.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post

Well, i don't believe the Avs would ever consider trading PS right now, not with the ROR issue.

But with that resolved i could see a package built around Grabovski, throw in a Finn or Petry,Blacker, 2013 2nd,Blacker,Colbourn,Holzer,Franson kinda thing.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I know it's staz' fault that McGinn aims for the post instead of the back of the net and so has yet to score instead of having 5+ goals, but Paul's really done just about anything that he can to fix that.

As for his point totals, he's been at a PPG pace all throughout his career other than the 2011 calendar year. So it's not like his production has really even dropped despite the weaker wingers. And saying that a top playmaker needs to be playing with top 6 wingers is hardly a stretch. Stewie wasn't a star winger, sober Jones wasn't a star winger, old Duke wasn't a star winger, old Smyth wasn't a star winger either, yet Staz was a PPG player with those guys.
I guess my question would be, why does the Avs coaching staff feel that PS in unworthy of playing with the top O wingers on the team.

If he is still this PPG C, why is he not being put in a position to succeed and better the club?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
hum so IF Stastny passes the puck to his winger and the winger misses the empty net its Stastny's fault now...
Yep, it's staz's fault McGinn has hit 8 posts this year

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:04 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
He's a kings fan that would have given up the cup last year for a win over the Avs

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well, i don't believe the Avs would ever consider trading PS right now, not with the ROR issue.

But with that resolved i could see a package built around Grabovski, throw in a Finn or Petry,Blacker, 2013 2nd,Blacker,Colbourn,Holzer,Franson kinda thing.
We could get 2 Blackers?

Sign me up.

Avs are not trading Stastny for futures or a package, it'll be for someone straight up(Like Bouwmeester or Phaneuf) or they add to Stastny to get a younger Top 2 Dman.

And I don't think its a coincidence that after the injured Jones was taken off Stastnys line against Calgary Thursday for the 3rd period, he went and score 2 goals including the game winner.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I guess my question would be, why does the Avs coaching staff feel that PS in unworthy of playing with the top O wingers on the team.

If he is still this PPG C, why is he not being put in a position to succeed and better the club?
He has been, before injuries took over this team he was playing with McGinn and Jones. Both guys are top 6 wingers when healthy, and if Ginner wasn't snake bitten badly he would have had 5-7 goals by now all direct passes from Stastny and wide open nets.

Jones has apparently been playing injured for a little while, as he's now out with a leg injury.

McGinn has been playing very well with PAP and Duchene recently so if they keep that up Landy could be paired with Stastny when he comes back, and then we'll really find out if its just been a lack of finishing on Stas's line or if he really has lost it.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote