HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, now...

Old
07-02-2006, 12:44 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999
Shanny definitely is not coming here and I would say about 20% chance for Arnott.
first , that doesn't mean that Gainey didn't try to get them .

secondo , it's pure speculation from you , to say that Arnott is about 20 % chance to come with us ! common ! nobody can give a % of chance for a player , to sign somewhere . I don't have the feeling that Arnott is looking to play here . But please don't give % or kind of '' definitley is not comming '' to give credit to your impressions .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:47 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999
Shanny definitely is not coming here and I would say about 20% chance for Arnott.
And on what authority do you have this info davey? Seems to me you got your crank on big-time today, get up on the wrong side of the bed or something??

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:50 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11
And on what authority do you have this info davey? Seems to me you got your crank on big-time today, get up on the wrong side of the bed or something??
That guy is probably wildone26 using an alias.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:59 AM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR
7m for 7 years for Elias, no, Bob wont do deal if they are bad, whatever the player. If we sign NO one its not a big deal. We might be in situation where we could pickup a lot of assets with trades and desperate teams.
I thought it was 7yr/$42 million?

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Turbo

Is 20% the new 30%?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:02 AM
marvelousmotion

Calm down people.

It's only day one.. How can people panic and say that our division rivals are getting better ? Com'on.. the Sens got Martin Gerber and Joe Corvo ! WOW, big deal. It's the same guy that lost his job because we killed him during the series. The Bruins have added Chara and Savard, but IMO they are both extremely overrated. No way in hell I would have given Chara, 7.5 and Savard, 5M for YEARS to come. It does make them a better team though but those huge contracts might bite them back in the future. Even with those two huge signatures, they are still far from being considered contenders at this point.

There are some useful players out there with the ability to improve our team that might come cheap. I'm talking about veterans like Shanahan or Roenick. Yes they are old, but they won't ask for large contracts in terms of money and lenght. Even at their age, they can still bring many things on the table.

Roenick looks more focused than ever, he wants to win and has clearly stated he wanted to play for a Canadian team. I wouldn't mind having him in a Habs jersey for a cheap price. He has to ability to come back strong and produce next season kind of like what Selanne did last season.

On the other hand, Shanahan can still score huge goals. He proved it last year scoring 40 goals. How many 40 goals scorer do we have on our team right now ? He'd bring an immediate impact and what I like about Shanny, is that he knows how hockey is played both in the offensive and defensive zone. He adds leadership, experience and size; even though he's not using it as effectively as in his earlier days, he's still a warrior. He's strong mentally and that is what we need to mentor our less experienced players. IMO, one of the key reason that we loss against Carolina was our lack of experience/leadership. We had no veterans like Brind'Amour on our team to motive our team.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:26 AM
BOB the Builder

seriously guys..I wanted Bo to make a splash today..i really thought Elias was coming here..but hey..7 years for a guy that is 30 already is kinda sick

I am sure were were right up there in money but no way we were gonna give him 7 years

so now u ask?

I say we make a splash and sign an RFA

Last edited by BOB the Builder: 07-02-2006 at 03:41 AM.
BOB the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:56 AM
EagleBelfour

Brendan Shanahan at 4M/4.5M for a couple of years would be amazing. Actually, if we can get Arnott or Shanahan I would be happy. I don't need to see 2 or 3 UFA's come in town.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Le Maroons

I WISH I WAS SMART! LIKE MOST GUYS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of these: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does it take?

Common boys, what do we need?

Chara, 7.5 million? No thanks.
Elias, 6 million? Who cares? No thanks
Arnott, 4 million or less, sure.

Give it up, I'm not allowedvto say this but: ****!

Look at the team we have.

This team is moving forward.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are angering me more than Gainey ever could.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB the Builder View Post
seriously guys..I wanted Bo to make a splash today..i really thought Elias was coming here..but hey..7 years for a guy that is 30 already is kinda sick

I am sure were were right up there in money but no way we were gonna give him 7 years

so now u ask?

I say we make a splash and sign an RFA
An RFA? Has that ever happened?

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15 View Post
Let's focus on getting Arnott and/or Shanny.

Go for it Bob!

We sat around and watched our divisional rivals add players, now it's our turn!
I'll say this again,

Regardless of who we get in the UFA market, if anyone of signifigance at all, the season will still largely depend on the development of our youngsters like Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Perezhogin.

Yes, our division rivals have gotten better... but really, did they have a choice? Montreal has the luxury of improving from within more so than the leafs or bruins at this point in time.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:25 AM
habslife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'll say this again,

Regardless of who we get in the UFA market, if anyone of signifigance at all, the season will still largely depend on the development of our youngsters like Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Perezhogin.

Yes, our division rivals have gotten better... but really, did they have a choice? Montreal has the luxury of improving from within more so than the leafs or bruins at this point in time.
I second that! If we get a UFA it will help, but we have to give quality ice time to our youngsters.

habslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirktondan View Post
An RFA? Has that ever happened?
nope....

Memorable offer sheets have been given though.

The leafs offered ohlund a ridiculous multi million dollar contract before he even played a game in the NHL. Canucks had no choice but to match although they were intensly angered by the leafs management.

The Rangers offered Sakic a multi year $10mil/yr about 10 years ago.... needless to say, the avs matched.

Also, Fedorov was given an offer sheet by carolina about 10 years ago. This had all to do with the canes owner trying to shove it to the wings owner because of their childish feuds. It was a huge offer although I dont remember the exact figures.... wings matched it.

I'm pretty sure i'm forgetting a couple other memorable offers but the teams have always inevitably matched.

Although in the new NHL, I guess there would be times where the team cant match even if they wanted to.

Personally, I dont think the owners are going to stab each other in the back and give offer sheets or else it can lead to a long feud to feed their giant egos.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:10 AM
A1
Everything is awful

The big thing about the Carolina offer sheet was the 12 million dollar bonus for making the conference finals which Detroit was almost guaranteed to do. It also had a huge signing bonus. I think Federov ended up getting like 28 million with the bonuses that season and then 2 million a year for the rest of it.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:25 AM
HabsFanInNB

Montreal took the first 2 from the eventual Stanley Cup champs and looked good. If Gainey does add Arnott, or Shanahan, they will be knocking on Lord Stanley's door. The other signings that people are envious of now won't mean much if either of these guys report to work in Montreal next year.

Better to wait until the signings are done to judge Gainey's work on this.

HabsFanInNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
I thought it was 7yr/$42 million?
Somebody proposed that we offer 7m for 7 years to elias.(I.e get the player at all costs approach)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm now waiting for Gainey to sign Arnott, don't believe in the Shanahan sudden mutual love and feel we will be used to get that salary up, and then I have the feeling that no UFA will be signed and Gainey will wait till the teams knowing our cap situatio will come to him asking him please for trades cause they can't afford the players they just overpaid.....

We may have a shot for some trades that could definately be in our favor hockey wise since most of the teams could be so loaded, they'll have no choice but to trades some great players for average to good ones just because of the salary cap.

Or Gainey will concentrate in getting Arnott and some other names in the 2nd rated group like: Halpern, McCauley, Grier, Dvorak, Peca, Chouinard, Kozlov, Sillinger, Straka, Sykora, Sanderson, Carter, Jarkko Ruutu.

And guys don't forget that there's an incredible d-men, unrestricted, that flew under the radar of lots of team and wasn't part of this great first day we had yesterday, ..............PATRICK TRAVERSE!!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
hab

If The Leafs Sign Arnott( The One Guy We Could Really Use), Then I Will

Lose It, For Now I Am Holding It Together....

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
If The Leafs Sign Arnott( The One Guy We Could Really Use), Then I Will

Lose It, For Now I Am Holding It Together....
they can't, there cap is pretty much set

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
they can't, there cap is pretty much set
That's exactly what I thought about Jersey for the reason why they wouldn't be able to sign Elias....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm pretty sure i'm forgetting a couple other memorable offers but the teams have always inevitably matched.
Not always. Philly signed Gratton, and TB didn't match the offer sheet. Hartford signed Wesley to an offer sheet, and Boston didn't match.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
akostitsyn

I just hope that Bob wont panic and give some ridiculous contract to a guy like Arnott. I'm sure he wont though.

Anyway I see it as a win win situation for us. If Bob gets the players that he wants then great. On the other hand if we don't sign anyone then guys like Kostitsyn, Latendresse or Chipchura might get there chance. And if we don't make it to the playoff this year, it would really suck, but next year top ten draft is so much better then this year. We could get our no1 center in Esposito, Gillies or Backlund.

akostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:37 AM
goalchenyuk

with all those overpaid signings i certainly don't want Gainey to ink Arnott . Arnott refused 4 millions 4 years contract with Dallas ; do you really want Gainey to spend more than that for him ??? No way !

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Elias, 6 million? Who cares? No thanks
Elias at 6 millions is very good considering that a lot of people thought that he would get near the max (at least 7 million).

Of course there is the length of the contract but that's another story altogether.

Last edited by Bronn: 07-02-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:34 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Like I said you can apologize later when Shanny re-signs in Detroit.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote