HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN and Sportsnet: Blake a King

Old
07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Extraordinary? **** him. He was always about the money. I'll still boo him.
Would you have booed Chara?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Commander Enigma

You Kings fans who aren't happy about this are nuts. Blake was playing at a Norris Trophy level the second half of the season last year and was the Avs best player in the playoffs. He's still a genuine #1 defensemen and he's still got at least good two years left in him. The Kings are a better team now.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I hope that some of you are willing to soften your reactions in light of Blake's statements. He wants share with his first team what he's learned about winning and help them towards it now. He, also, doesn't hold a grudge after being booed mercilessly for 5 years. That's quite extraordinary when you think of it. I hope that the feeling is reciprocated, at least in time.

I am going to go out on a limb on this one Osprey but I am guessing you are "Anti-Capital Punishment".

You seem to want to forgive and forget everyone's misdeeds and start them off with a clean slate. If that is how you view things...then fine. But there are some of us who put more credence in someones actions than the words that spew forth from their mouth. And so far none of Blake's or Roenick's actions for that matter have warranted our forgiveness. Because we know nobody would ever lie to make themselves good to the media.....right?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I am going to go out on a limb on this one Osprey but I am guessing you are "Anti-Capital Punishment".
Your limb just broke . Anyways, are you implying that you consider booing Blake to be "punishment" for his perceived wrongs?

Last edited by Osprey: 07-01-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old
07-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Your limb just broke . Anyways, are you implying that you consider booing Blake to be "punishment" for his actions?
That is the way some people view it. I am not one of the "Boo Blake" crowd. He actually was my favorite King before the trade. But I am not going to welcome him back with open arms either. I am just saying it is going to take more than just a few words said to a reporter to mend some of the bridges that Blake chose to burn.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
kingsfan25

Ohhhhhh...I get it now. That whole pretending to forsake the franchise and going to the big money was nothing but a facade so that Rob could learn what it takes to be a winner and then bring that back to the Kings...

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Go

I think a big part of the Blake booing issue is that his team beat the Kings in the playoffs that year. If it were the other way around, would the booing be as bad.

Oh, and I like the signing now that I've thought about it.
________
digital vaporizer

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Quattro

Not sure whether I like this signing or not, it smacks as a bit of a panic after losing out on Chara, but I'll have to think about it awhile.

There is on thing I AM sure of. If DT had made this move, he would have been crucified on this board.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:32 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

Kings sorta remind me of the Sabres...thats a good thing.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
There is on thing I AM sure of. If DT had made this move, he would have been crucified on this board.

Hell he was being crucified before he was fired because people thought he was going to resign Blake.

I remember reading about how that was a good reason to fire DT!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:58 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I had a funny feeling this would happen soon by signing Blake.DL must have saw my thread

Kings Rock!

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:48 AM
190Octane

How much do you want to bet that AEG bars him from wearing #4 rendering all of those old jerseys useless?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I have been in favor of bringing Blake back since last summer. Some of you need to grow up. I understand why he was booed (personally, I never took part in the booing, but I didn't want to see him succeed in another uniform). It is like the bitter boyfriend seeing the ex-girlfriend run off with a wealthier and more successful partner while the bitter boyfriend is left with nothing.

BTW, some bits of info that are often forgotten during the time Blake stripped himself of the captaincy during the contract "negotiations" with the Kings prior to the start of the 2000-2001 season. The Kings brass (well namely, Kevin Gilmore/Leiweke) presented Blake with a FINAL offer and threatened to trade him if he didn't accept it. That wasn't a smart move, especially to a player who had been with the organization for eleven seasons at that point.

Imagine the Avalanche presenting Sakic with a final contract offer and threatening to deal him if he chooses not to accept it. It is called a negotiation is it not? Did the Red Wings ever threaten Lidstrom or Yzerman if they didn't accept their contract offer? Seems like the Kings (well, Gilmore) had an odd way of conducting contract negotiations.

Please let the immaturity die. Blake showed that it was the past and he has moved on. He is still a top flight defenseman in this league and the Kings have significantly improved their blueline. Blake, Norstrom, Visnovsky, Gleason, Sopel and Miller. A young stud like Gleason can learn a lot from Blake, who consistently is one of the league leaders in shots on goal, blocked shots and hits.

And for those of you who are focusing on the age of the players the Kings have signed, here is some news for you. These guys are in amazing shape and have plenty of hockey left in them. You should only be concerned by a players age when his play, health and conditioning is detriorating. Blake always keeps himself in excellent condition and Scott Thornton is no different.

These guys are paid professional atheltes who work with personal trainers in the off-season. There are players much younger than them who can't last as long or perform as good as these veterans. There are lots of players who are over 35 that are still amazing athletes, and Blake is one of them.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 07-02-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Ugh. I'm GLAD we didn't get Chara - he would have been OK in the regular season - for the most part. But he seemed so innefectual in the playoffs. I watched speedy forwards get by & around too often to covet him.

Unfortunately, we followed up by getting Rob Blake. I don't think I've ever seen Blakey look more innefectual than he did last season. I remember the when we played the Avs he often looked lost out there. We capitalized on Rob Blake turnovers many times. I know nearly all of you are going to disagree with me, but the Rob Blake we just signed ISN'T anywhere close to the Rob Blake we traded away years ago. Blakey's biggest assets were his incredible hitting, and incredible point shot - both of which have diminished with time. 37 and slowing down every day. Waste of money to me.

I'd much rather have a guy like Jay McKee - fast, great shot blocker, isn't often out of position - and when he is, can use his speed to make up the gap. Not to mention a lot younger.

Well then you haven't been watching him much, and none last year past November. He struggled last year for the first couple months adjusting to the new rules, but after that he had a very good season, and was our best player in the playoffs. The season before that he was a favorite for the Norris until he missed some games late in the season with an injury. If Blake can play like he did last year, you will be getting a much better Blake than the one that left. He has become a much more well rounded defenseman, as he has become quite solid in his own end.

I wish him well in LA. It's too bad our front office screwed up by decling his option year, because apparently that's what caused his bonus to count toward the cap. He left a huge void on our blueline.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Osprey

Great post, Ziggy... and thanks for bringing up the "final offer." Blake must've felt pretty disrespected after that. I know that I wouldn't be too thrilled to continue being Captain for an organization that treated me like that. When Blake resigned the Captaincy, he may've been doing what he felt was best for the club or just lashing back, but can you blame him? Instead of being bitter at Blake, try being bitter at Gilmore (or whoever it was in the brass). Without those "negotiating" tactics, Blake might actually have signed eventually and stayed a King.

Old
07-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Osprey

Today's articles:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...nes-sports-nhl

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4003988

One thing that's interesting is that both say that Chara chose Boston because he wanted to stay in the East. Also, Jovanovski chose Phoenix largely because of Gretzky.

Old
07-02-2006, 08:38 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Today's articles:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...nes-sports-nhl

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4003988

One thing that's interesting is that both say that Chara chose Boston because he wanted to stay in the East. Also, Jovanovski chose Phoenix largely because of Gretzky.

Wow...I thought that Daily News had shut down their hockey section.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:45 AM
riseandfall9

I think im sick I find myself agreeing with Osprey and Ziggy alot lately....Maybe i better hit the doctor

OSPREY!!!! I got a question....Is Alex Frolov`s cap hit 2.9 million or 2.0 million?

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:44 AM
KingsFan7824

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1200453.php

Quote:
"We have defensemen where our top three are (Lubomir) Visnovsky, Rob Blake and (Mattias) Norstrom," Lombardi said. "When we have (Tim) Gleason paired with Blake, he's going to become a better player.
Stick Norstrom with Sopel, and Miller with Visnovsky, and you could at least have one of those three on the ice every shift. Either way, as it stands now, one of those right side defensemen will have to shift to the left side.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:47 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Blake is... well... a strange signing at best. But this goes once again to the inability to get trade for a defensive prospect instead of signing a old on the downside vet to such a important position. Its not like we have someone who can step up if Blake becomes the new JR...

O yea and I have certianlly not forgiven Blake....
it' ok bud! It's going to be alright... put the gun down! Slowly...take a deep breath...it's ok now.

Seriously, he has matured now...and can teach the young kids. PRICELESS

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:55 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post

You seem to want to forgive and forget everyone's misdeeds and start them off with a clean slate. If that is how you view things...then fine. But there are some of us who put more credence in someones actions than the words that spew forth from their mouth. And so far none of Blake's or Roenick's actions for that matter have warranted our forgiveness. Because we know nobody would ever lie to make themselves good to the media.....right?
i understand you guys...but, people mature and change. Everyone screws up even you. Do people condem you forever? chill guys! let's give him a chance! This time IMO he will bring leadership for the young kids.

If we have your kind of attitude no wonder there's so much HATRED in the world.

Respectfully...

Old
07-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I have been in favor of bringing Blake back since last summer. Some of you need to grow up. I understand why he was booed (personally, I never took part in the booing, but I didn't want to see him succeed in another uniform). It is like the bitter boyfriend seeing the ex-girlfriend run off with a wealthier and more successful partner while the bitter boyfriend is left with nothing.

BTW, some bits of info that are often forgotten during the time Blake stripped himself of the captaincy during the contract "negotiations" with the Kings prior to the start of the 2000-2001 season. The Kings brass (well namely, Kevin Gilmore/Leiweke) presented Blake with a FINAL offer and threatened to trade him if he didn't accept it. That wasn't a smart move, especially to a player who had been with the organization for eleven seasons at that point.

Imagine the Avalanche presenting Sakic with a final contract offer and threatening to deal him if he chooses not to expect it. It is called a negotiation is it not? Did the Red Wings ever threaten Lidstrom or Yzerman if they didn't accept their contract offer? Seems like the Kings (well, Gilmore) had an odd way of conducting contract negotiations.

Please let the immaturity die. Blake showed that it was the past and he has moved on. He is still a top flight defenseman in this league and the Kings have significantly improved their blueline. Blake, Norstrom, Visnovsky, Gleason, Sopel and Miller. A young stud like Gleason can learn a lot from Blake, who consistently is one of the league leaders in shots on goal, blocked shots and hits.

And for those of you who are focusing on the age of the players the Kings have signed, here is some news for you. These guys are in amazing shape and have plenty of hockey left in them. You should only be concerned by a players age when his play, health and conditioning is detriorating. Blake always keeps himself in excellent condition and Scott Thornton is no different.

These guys are paid professional atheltes who work with personal trainers in the off-season. There are players much younger than them who can't last as long or perform as good as these veterans. There are lots of players who are over 35 that are still amazing athletes, and Blake is one of them.
Excellent post. Should be required reading for all the misguided Kings fans out there, of which there seem to be a lot (sorry, I'm not trying to bait here, but I gotta call a spade a spade).

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Face Wash

It's kind of ironic....

Last season Blake looked on as Avs fans booed Brad May every time he touched the puck for probably the first 20 home games or so....

Blake will now look on as the same thing happens to him in LA (Although I think it will subside after a while... maybe after the first time he plants someone's sorry *** into the half boards with his hip/***).

I've never "boo"ed a player... While it's your right as a fan, I think it's s stupid waste of energy. I mean, I'll occasionally yell a derogatory comment or two, I'm not above that, but I don't see the point. I've always had a much bigger problem with what Joe Corvo did to that poor woman than what Blake "did to us" and I never booed Corvo.... I called him a felon a few times, but that's aout it. Eventually I learned to live with the fact he was on our team.

I've never taken issue with Blake because I actually liked the Blake trade and thought DT did a good job under the circumstances. Also because if I was Blake and I knew my boss was a miserable liar and I didn't think I was getting my full value in negotiations and was about to become a UFA, I'd have used the leverage he did too.

Face Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:16 AM
riseandfall9

hmmm, Get Lowballed and disrespected by the Kings? or Go to Colorado play with Sakic , Forsberg , Foote , Roy , make 12 Million dollars and win a stanley cup... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm witch do i pick. Everyone thats bitter that hes back just be happy he wanted to come back.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:27 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
It's kind of ironic....

Last season Blake looked on as Avs fans booed Brad May every time he touched the puck for probably the first 20 home games or so....

Blake will now look on as the same thing happens to him in LA (Although I think it will subside after a while... maybe after the first time he plants someone's sorry *** into the half boards with his hip/***).

I've never "boo"ed a player... While it's your right as a fan, I think it's s stupid waste of energy. I mean, I'll occasionally yell a derogatory comment or two, I'm not above that, but I don't see the point. I've always had a much bigger problem with what Joe Corvo did to that poor woman than what Blake "did to us" and I never booed Corvo.... I called him a felon a few times, but that's aout it. Eventually I learned to live with the fact he was on our team.

I've never taken issue with Blake because I actually liked the Blake trade and thought DT did a good job under the circumstances. Also because if I was Blake and I knew my boss was a miserable liar and I didn't think I was getting my full value in negotiations and was about to become a UFA, I'd have used the leverage he did too.
WELL PUT!