HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin "tomahawk"

Old
02-01-2013, 09:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
That's why I'm not shedding a tear for Staal, or any of the Rangers. Same goes for any team that tries that ****.
So then you send a guy out to fight him after a play. You don't start trying to take player's heads off with slashes to their heads. What if Malkin fully connected on that? Staal has a concussion history. Such a play could've ended his career. Why do you think that sticks to the head tend to be punished fairly harshly in the past? This is not that difficult of a scenario.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
And that's why Malkin should have let him keep hitting?
Geno is not an angel here, but why nobody says about Staal?
What did Staal do that was out of line compared to a normal game? Perhaps Staal should've gotten 2 minutes for slashing. What Staal did occurs in every game time and time again. What Malkin did is pretty damn rare and quite cowardly.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crindy View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. But there was no such "blatant and purposeful slash(es) to the head" delivered by Malkin in that game. What Malkin did was not even in the same stratosphere as what you're describing.
Completely wrong. Check the link I posted to the Christian Thomas slash from last year. It is extremely similar. FWIW, Thomas "convinced" the OHL that the slash was not intentional, but I and most others believe it was (and I believe that the videos of both Thomas's slash and Malkin's slash show that both were clearly intentional).

Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Shockmaster

So all of HFBoards misses the part where Staal slashes and crosschecks Malkin to the ice BEFORE the "tomahawk"?

Yup, typical HFBoards.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So then leave the trolling remarks out of the valid thread and save them for the thread where your team is being unfairly criticized. Not really sure why something like that cannot be done.
This is a valid thread?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
So all of HFBoards misses the part where Staal slashes and crosschecks Malkin to the ice BEFORE the "tomahawk"?

Yup, typical HFBoards.
What Staal did happens every game (multiple times per game). What Staal did does not warrant a player trying to take his head off with a stick. The actions of the two players are not remotely equal.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I can't think of any other group that takes the mocking to the extreme as seen here. This is a thread where there is an intentional slash to another player's head and there are some who act as if it was nothing and the other player deserved it. I'm sorry, but I simply don't see that elsewhere.
I do, often.

Basically every night. Every team. You're just not looking closely enough.

There were Islander fans saying the MacDonald hit on Lovejoy the other night was perfectly legit, too. It was a terrible hit from behind. They were just defending their guy. It's what fans do.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
This is a valid thread?
There is video evidence of Malkin slashing another player on the head. Yes, I would say that this is a valid thread. It's not a thread meant to pick on your team unfairly. I'm sure you know that, but you'd rather continue the charade.

Old
od71

Quote:
What did Staal do that was out of line compared to a normal game? Perhaps Staal should've gotten 2 minutes for slashing. What Staal did occurs in every game time and time again. What Malkin did is pretty damn rare and quite cowardly.
Staal hit him in the neck with his stick and it could cause more damage.
Cowardly? Malkin was lying on ice, on his back. And Staal was coming on him. Who is coward?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Most Pens fans know that Malkin can turn to the dark side at any moment on the ice. He has a temper. I would prefer he loses it, but then again the emotion is good especially since he is playing on a team full of robots.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I do, often.

Basically every night. Every team. You're just not looking closely enough.

There were Islander fans saying the MacDonald hit on Lovejoy the other night was perfectly legit, too. It was a terrible hit from behind. They were just defending their guy. It's what fans do.
Defending your player is one thing. Openly mocking other fans and the entire play is completely different and is what I was referring to.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Malkin has always been dirty. This is nothing new.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Staal hit him in the neck with his stick and it can cause more damage.
Cowardly? Malkin was lying on ice, on his back. And Staal was coming on him. Who is coward?
They were playing hard against each other that entire play. Let's be real here. Did Staal deserve a penalty? Sure. I don't dispute that. He got rough with Malkin there. However, Malkin is a professional. You don't start slashing other players in the head. Period. There's a reason why similar plays have landed large suspensions for players in the past.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
They were playing hard against each other that entire play. Let's be real here. Did Staal deserve a penalty? Sure. I don't dispute that. He got rough with Malkin there. However, Malkin is a professional. You don't start slashing other players in the head. Period. There's a reason why similar plays have landed large suspensions for players in the past.
Malkin's stick came up because Staal crosschecked him to the ground. If Staal doesn't act like a punk, the whole thing never happens.

Last edited by Hurt: 02-01-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Keep the personal insults to yourself.
Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I'm surprised Neal's from last year has yet to be brought up.

That's precedent after all.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Crindy

Quote:
Completely wrong. Check the link I posted to the Christian Thomas slash from last year. It is extremely similar. FWIW, Thomas "convinced" the OHL that the slash was not intentional, but I and most others believe it was (and I believe that the videos of both Thomas's slash and Malkin's slash show that both were clearly intentional).
From what I can tell in that (very grainy) video, Thomas's slash was a lot harder and more deliberate. Malkin gave Staal a one-handed bonk on the head. Those are not the same thing. I do agree that it was a very stupid reaction on Malkin's part. You don't go for the head with your stick in any situation. I just don't see how that's considered dangerous enough for a suspension.

Crindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Malkin has always been dirty. This is nothing new.
Name ten guys that are not.

Remember, we have YT now.

Most NHL players are dirty at some point in their careers. Malkin is certainly one that is on a semi-regular basis. But don't act like he is alone in this endeavor.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crindy View Post
From what I can tell in that (very grainy) video, Thomas's slash was a lot harder and more deliberate. Malkin gave Staal a one-handed bonk on the head. Those are not the same thing. I do agree that it was a very stupid reaction on Malkin's part. You don't go for the head with your stick in any situation. I just don't see how that's considered dangerous enough for a suspension.
They were both equally deliberate. You notice I am not calling for 10 games for Malkin like I wanted for Thomas, correct? I think 4 would be a good length for this play since it wasn't as hard as when Thomas got the junior player.

And who cares how "dangerous" it was? He deliberately swung his stick at another player's head. That should be suspend-able in every single situation. The degree of the foul should be the mitigating factor for how many games the offending player gets, which is why I don't think Malkin deserves 10+ games.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
od71

Quote:
If they were standing face-to-face there wouldn't be slashes in the head. That's for sure. Malkin never refuses to fight.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Saving Greiss
Drum solo of life!

What I've gathered from this thread: Malkin should let players abuse the **** out of him and not react whatsoever.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Sty1877

I love how you say start at 2 minutes. How about you start a 1:05 when Staal viciously slashes Malkin's wrists?? That had a ton more force in an area with less protection.

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
If they were standing face-to-face there wouldn't be slashes in the head. That's for sure. Malkin never refuses to fight.
Who cares? That means absolutely nothing. Malkin chose to slash Staal in the head. End of story. Perhaps Malkin should've gotten up and went after Staal on the next shift if he really wanted to fight him. Instead, he chose to swing his stick at Staal's head. You can't start bringing in "could've, should've" stuff into this, because the action happened and it is on tape.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
cowboy82nd

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo73 View Post
If you're banning Malkin (and I'd give him a game or two) then you're banning Staal for his slash and cross-check. Two of them got caught up in the heat of the moment and took it too far. Few games to remind them to keep the sticks out of it.
Since when is a slash or a cross check a suspensionable offense?

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Both players are at fault here. Staal is my favorite player on the Rangers, but what he did was completely inexcusable. It's obvious that Malkin's actions were purely retaliatory, but that most certainly doesn't give him the excuse to go for the head.

I would say if one of them are to be punished, the other should also be dealt a similar punishment. If Staal didn't cross-check Malkin in the back of the neck, I would be inclined to say that Malkin deserved a more harsh punishment (strictly because his target was Staal's head).

I don't think we'll see the league take any action, even though I feel they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
the inferiority complex the Rangers fans show when it comes to the Pens and their fans is astonishing.
I can make childish generalizations too:

Is it just as astonishing as the Pens fans who play the victim card every time their player or team is bought up on the main board?

How about contributing by making a post about the actual topic of the thread rather than making negative generalizations about an entire fan base? People wonder why these threads always go to ****, but then continue to focus on their feelings rather than giving their objective views on the situation.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
What I've gathered from this thread: Malkin should let players abuse the **** out of him and not react whatsoever.
Uh, no. That's just you mocking the scenario. Malkin should not let players abuse him and not react. Throw a hard check. Drop the gloves. Give them back a whack on the wrist. You do not swing a stick at another players head.