HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin "tomahawk"

Old
02-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What Staal did happens every game (multiple times per game). What Staal did does not warrant a player trying to take his head off with a stick. The actions of the two players are not remotely equal.
I admit, it was unsettling to see Staal's head dangling by a few sinuous threads and a wisp of spinal cord, one more whack by Malkin and his head would have come clean off. But, it case you didn't actually watch the game, there were a number of instances in which 71 was subjected to some rather harsh, and dangerous, shenanigans by the Rangers I presume intended to throw him off his game. What's a guy supposed to do?

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Who cares? That means absolutely nothing. Malkin chose to slash Staal in the head. End of story. Perhaps Malkin should've gotten up and went after Staal on the next shift if he really wanted to fight him. Instead, he chose to swing his stick at Staal's head. You can't start bringing in "could've, should've" stuff into this, because the action happened and it is on tape.
Perhaps Staal should not have acted like a big baby slashing and crosschecking Malkin to the ground. Then Malkin's stick wouldn't inadvertently hit Staal. Staal acting like a baby is on tape. End of story.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I admit, it was unsettling to see Staal's head dangling by a few sinuous threads and a wisp of spinal cord, one more whack by Malkin and his head would have come clean off. But, it case you didn't actually watch the game, there were a number of instances in which 71 was subjected to some rather harsh, and dangerous, shenanigans by the Ranger I presume intended to throw him off his game. What's a guy supposed to do?

How about play hard and not swing a stick at a guy's head? Give Staal some similar whacks. Go right ahead. He's a big boy. Don't worry. Why is that so hard to ask of your player? This should not be difficult.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Both players are at fault here. Staal is my favorite player on the Rangers, but what he did was completely inexcusable. It's obvious that Malkin's actions were purely retaliatory, but that most certainly doesn't give him the excuse to go for the head.

I would say if one of them are to be punished, the other should also be dealt a similar punishment. If Staal didn't cross-check Malkin in the back of the neck, I would be inclined to say that Malkin deserved a more harsh punishment (strictly because his target was Staal's head).

I don't think we'll see the league take any action, even though I feel they should.
Agree

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Uh, no. That's just you mocking the scenario. Malkin should not let players abuse him and not react. Throw a hard check. Drop the gloves. Give them back a whack on the wrist. You do not swing a stick at another players head.
And you don't slash and continually crosscheck players to the ground.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:14 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Uh, no. That's just you mocking the scenario. Malkin should not let players abuse him and not react. Throw a hard check. Drop the gloves. Give them back a whack on the wrist. You do not swing a stick at another players head.
Yeah, he should stop practicing his light sabres moves and start playing hockey.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Malkin gets away with a lot of crap. He's one of the least disciplined stars in the game. Throws far too many tantrums. While this one is bad, I think he'll escape with a fine at most.

Jaded-Fan

I will say this. If Asham was still on this team and not Glass it never would have gotten to the point where Staal or Malkin went over the top. The Staal cheap shots in that series were only one of a number of incidents up to that point. The Rangers were taking runs at Malkin and Crosby all game. Asham was one who would have stepped up long before and sent a message back. As I said, I am not going after the Rangers over this but the Pens. They should be embarrassed to make Malkin and Crosby feel that no one has their backs and that they need to respond theirselves.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Perhaps Staal should not have acted like a big baby slashing and crosschecking Malkin to the ground. Then Malkin's stick wouldn't inadvertently hit Staal. Staal acting like a baby is on tape. End of story.

So playing hard now is "acting like a baby?" Staal was playing hard with Malkin and giving him a lot of crap in front of the net. This is a serious question and not meant to be snarky or mean -- but have you played the game? When you go in front of the net or play anywhere near that net, you are going to be taking shots left and right. Again, this happens many times in a game and in every single game played. Staal took no more liberties with a player near the net than any other defender would do.

Malkin, instead of just engaging Staal (fighting or giving him back the same he was getting) chose to escalate the situation by slashing him in the head.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I will say this. If Asham was still on this team and not Glass it never would have gotten to the point where Staal or Malkin went over the top. The Staal cheap shots in that series were only one of a number of incidents up to that point. The Rangers were taking runs at Malkin and Crosby all game. Asham was one who would have stepped up long before and sent a message back. As I said, I am not going after the Rangers over this but the Pens. They should be embarrassed to make Malkin and Crosby feel that no one has their backs and that they need to respond theirselves.
Fully agree, it's a shame.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Both players are at fault here. Staal is my favorite player on the Rangers, but what he did was completely inexcusable. It's obvious that Malkin's actions were purely retaliatory, but that most certainly doesn't give him the excuse to go for the head.

I would say if one of them are to be punished, the other should also be dealt a similar punishment. If Staal didn't cross-check Malkin in the back of the neck, I would be inclined to say that Malkin deserved a more harsh punishment (strictly because his target was Staal's head).

I don't think we'll see the league take any action, even though I feel they should.

I can make childish generalizations too:

Is it just as astonishing as the Pens fans who play the victim card every time their player or team is bought up on the main board?

How about contributing by making a post about the actual topic of the thread rather than making negative generalizations about an entire fan base? People wonder why these threads always go to ****, but then continue to focus on their feelings rather than giving their objective views on the situation.
you mean playing the victim like the Rangers fans who believe the refs are always out there to get them, especially when they play the Pens.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
od71

Quote:

So playing hard now is "acting like a baby?" Staal was playing hard with Malkin and giving him a lot of crap in front of the net. This is a serious question and not meant to be snarky or mean -- but have you played the game? When you go in front of the net or play anywhere near that net, you are going to be taking shots left and right. Again, this happens many times in a game and in every single game played. Staal took no more liberties with a player near the net than any other defender would do.

Malkin, instead of just engaging Staal (fighting or giving him back the same he was getting) chose to escalate the situation by slashing him in the head.
Not cheap shots. Asham got suspension for similar crosschecking Schenn in PO last season

Old
02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Brilliant suggestion. The best player in the world take himself off the ice for five minutes. Or worse get injured in that nonsense. I remember when Chara 'manned up' with one of the biggest meatheads on the Pens' at the time just before the playoffs and broke his hand on the guy's head.

Like I said, your teammates step up and your coach tells you to stay away from that crap if you are a Malkin. If people want to call him a ***** on boards like this for letting other people fight his battles I can live with that. The trouble is that the rest of the team acted like

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Brilliant suggestion. The best player in the world take himself off the ice for five minutes. Or worse get injured in that nonsense. I remember when Chara 'manned up' with one of the biggest meatheads on the Pens' at the time just before the playoffs and broke his hand.

Like I said, your teammates step up and your coach tells you to stay away from that crap if you are a Malkin. If people want to call him a ***** on boards like this for letting other people fight his battles I can live with that. The trouble is that the rest of the team acted like
One of your own fans suggested that Malkin never turns down a fight (which is why I brought it up).

Old
Shockmaster

Quote:

You really just want to bash the Penguins relentlessly do you? What Staal did was a punk move. Malkin was trying to swing at the puck near Lundqvist. Ever played hockey before? It's called PLAYING TO THE WHISTLE. Staal seemed to forget that (as all the Rangers did that night), and thought it appropriate to slash and crosscheck Malkin to the ground. When Malkin fell, his stick came up and hit Staal.

So you see, Malkin escalated nothing. It was all Staal acting like a big baby.

Old
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Was Staal really coming with a swing at a player lying on his back? After slashing Malkin's neck?

It's widely known that you must generally be dirty to some extent to be on top in the NHL. Staal makes a dirty move on Geno and gets one back. It was a hard-fought, a little dirty shift, it's OK as no one is injured.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I love the main board

Not defending the actions of either player. Everyone is tough after the whistle, right? But for anyone to argue that Staal's slash on Malkin's arms is worse than Malkin one handed tomahawking of Staal's head, an area the NHL is trying to "defend," I don't understand where you're coming from, and wish I could.

Not surprised that the league didn't look at this either.

Remember when the NHL just decided to not suspend Malkin for that instigator in the final 5 minutes of a SCF game?

Yeah, not surprised at all.

And then people tell me my hate of the Penguins, Crosby, and Malkin is unwarranted. *sigh*

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

holy pens hate batman! i can't believe this is even a "discussion". Staal jumps Malkin and so he swings his stick with one hand blindly from his back, generating almost enough force for it to hurt. He wasn't even aiming for his head.

players take harder shots from normal high-sticking penalties on a regular basis.

I wonder how this discussion would be going if the roles were reversed?

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:

Playing hard

Your team was playing like crap, and to try to jumpstart them Staal goes for the neck and wrists while Malkin is digging for a puck.

What initiated the whole thing was a hissy fit in its own right.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Fully agree, it's a shame.
Not when the scoreboard says otherwise. The best payback is winning.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
od71

Quote:
One of your own fans suggested that Malkin never turns down a fight (which is why I brought it up).
Yeah. It never happened. I remember Geno beat Nash when he played in Columbus. And it was Nash who began the fight.
But it would not be equal change Malkin-Staal. Pity we don't have Asham.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Playing hard

Your team was playing like crap, and to try to jumpstart them Staal goes for the neck and wrists while Malkin is digging for a puck.

What initiated the whole thing was a hissy fit in its own right.
I would have had zero problem if Malkin simply gave Staal back what he was getting. None. I have a problem when ANY player swings at someone's head (again, you can see in the past with my comments on Thomas). If this was Staal swinging his stick at Malkin's head, I'd be posting the same stuff in here about how Staal should be suspended.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
holy pens hate batman! i can't believe this is even a "discussion". Staal jumps Malkin and so he swings his stick with one hand blindly from his back, generating almost enough force for it to hurt. He wasn't even aiming for his head.

players take harder shots from normal high-sticking penalties on a regular basis.

I wonder how this discussion would be going if the roles were reversed?
Are you new to HFBoards? It's okay when other teams' players take cheap shots at Penguins players, but if those Penguins players try to defend themselves, it's cheap and dirty.

Old
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Uh... why is Malkin using his stick as a weapon blatantly? I think he should get a suspension considering the fact that he was obviously trying to hit Staal up high, using his stick as a weapon. Most of you will probably call me a homer but I would have this opinion even if it wasn't done against a Ranger.
Far from a Ranger fan but this crosses a line, he should be suspended for 3-5 games in my book.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Hockey play, move on. Besides, Geno can't let Staal take these repeated cheap slashes at his wrists, he was clearly provoked.
So fight him , or send England after him.

I'M going to let some of you people in on a little secret that the whole world seems to know but you few. It is NEVER ok to use your stick to the head of another player under any circumstances . There are acceptable ways to defend your self in the NHL. I get he was being hacked but there are better ways to combat that.
If Crosby takes one off the dome I don't wan't to hear any of you defending Malkin complain.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote