HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list getting short...

Old
07-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
Ottawa just spent 6.3M/year for Corvo and Gerber..They are at 31,250M for 12 players .

+

Ray Emery, G, 23(1,5?); Martin Havlat, RW, 24(5M); Chris Kelly, C, 25(700k); Peter Schaefer, LW, 281,8); Christoph Schubert, D, 24(700k); Jason Spezza, C, 22(4); Antoine Vermette, LW, 23(1).

So we are at roughly 46M and it's still not a complete roster
Actually with their RFA they have exactly a full roster and it is unlikely that many of the RFA's will get contracts like you are speculating. Havlat will get 2.9 million a 10% raise on his 2.6 if he can't negotiate a deal with the Sens (and he won't). Emery won't get 1.5m. Spezza will get 3.75-4.5 on a 2-3 year deal.

It adds up to 43.5 or so with a full roster but Havlat will end up being traded to clear a bit of cap room and to get a gritty 2nd line forward. Likely if they need the cap room Smolinski will get his salary dumped in a trade for a 6th round pick or something.

The Habs should worry becuse Boston has improved enough to be better than the Habs and the Leafs might have as well. The Habs likely will finish last in the Northeast if they don't get some more players.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Arnott is worth close to 5

at least 4.5mil

I know savard's numbers are a little jaded but he got 97 points to go with his new salary which averages out to 5mil/yr

His 76 points from last season would be tops on our squad... So I also believe he will be in the 4.5-5mil category. (although we must be careful because it was a career season for Jason.) This is the most points he's had since his rookie year of 93-94. Typically, he's been a 50-60 point guy in the (mind you, thats in the old NHL.)

A risky proposition? Perhaps. But as Harry neale likes to say, "If you dont take chances, you have no chance"

I wasn't too thrilled about arnott originally but I'm at the point where I say hey, its better than nothing.

Even though his numbers this year are compareable to shanny, I'd definitly take jason over him at this point in his career if it came down to that.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
Actually with their RFA they have exactly a full roster and it is unlikely that many of the RFA's will get contracts like you are speculating. Havlat will get 2.9 million a 10% raise on his 2.6 if he can't negotiate a deal with the Sens (and he won't). Emery won't get 1.5m. Spezza will get 3.75-4.5 on a 2-3 year deal.

It adds up to 43.5 or so with a full roster but Havlat will end up being traded to clear a bit of cap room and to get a gritty 2nd line forward. Likely if they need the cap room Smolinski will get his salary dumped in a trade for a 6th round pick or something.

The Habs should worry becuse Boston has improved enough to be better than the Habs and the Leafs might have as well. The Habs likely will finish last in the Northeast if they don't get some more players.
the habs are in a position where their season will depend largely on the development of Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Higgins and the rest of their young blood REGARDLESS of who they get in the UFA market. They could use some UFA help but they need supporter players more than prime time players if you catch my drift. (Kovalev is the oldest player on the squad and he's not even 35)

Teams like the leafs and bruins were forced to go out on the market because they know they would have a tough time improving from within (at least for this upcoming season). Montreal has realtively few UFA's compared to most teams so there are less moves to make unless a trade is up their alley.

Case in point, Montreal's siutation is a little different than the teams you mentioned so I think you're being a bit presumptious with your forcast.

Last edited by Hackett: 07-02-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
the habs are in a position where their season will depend largely on the development of Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ryder, Kostitsyn, Higgins and the rest of their young blood REGARDLESS of who they get in the UFA market. They could use some UFA help but they need supporter players more than prime time players if you catch my drift.

Teams like the leafs and bruins were forced to go out on the market because they know they would have a tough time improving from within (at least for this upcoming season). Montreal has realtively few UFA's than most teams so there are less moves to make, really.

Case in point, Montreal's siutation is a little different thans the teams you mentioned so I think you're being a bit unfair.
It might work out for the Habs in the long run to develop their players but the Habs need some top end talent and if Koivu misses much time to injury then the Habs are in huge trouble. But I was unfair a bit. The Leafs could implode with no forwards and Raycroft in net. They could be far worse. But unless the Habs get 90 points plus they will miss the playoffs and with the Bruins far stronger and the Sens still a great team and with Buffalo probably still a contender and other teams in the East quite strong I think the Habs are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs. Though Atlanta looked a contender but losing Savard isn't going to help. Florida looked a contender but with no Luongo proabbly not, Tampa is a declining teams with their payroll a mess with the 3 big forwards. The Rangers are stronger, the Flyers are probably better too but Forsberg is out for at least half the season. The Devils don't look great but always come through on the ice. The Islanders are not going anywhere.

So playoff teams in the East in no order...
Ottawa
Philly
Buffalo
Rangers
Boston
Carolina
New Jersey
someone else.....maybe Montreal, maybe Toronto or another team. At least from what I can see right now.

Of course if Koivu is healthy all season and the Habs can get at least one or 2 great top of the line players and Huet plays like he did last season all year the Habs have a shot maybe at doing damage in the playoffs and not just making it. But that is alot of ifs, the Habs are not improved this off season and others have improved.

Old
07-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
You're missing Arnott and Chouinard on your centers list.
The list lacks many UFAs........ I don't believe Arnott will sign with Montreal, and I intentionnaly didn't put it on the list. As for Chouinard, I must admit I don't know his play enought.... he his tall, but is he using his weight like Bouillon or Begin?

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
So playoff teams in the East in no order...
Philly
I really wonder how they will make it.... isn't Forsberg near done?

Old
07-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999 View Post
For about 2.1 more a year, I would have liked Mckee. He's 5 times the d man Bouillon is.
Think about this: you give 4M$ a season to a guy that joins the team: McKee.... next season, you need to sign Markov, Souray and Rivet....... how do you expect your negociation power to be?!?

Old
07-02-2006, 08:52 AM
plafleur10

Habs' remaining options-July 2

I'm going to focus on forwards, as Gainey has said he will NOT pursue defensemen in the UFA market.

I'm also going to show a little preference for players who would be willing to sign for shorter periods, as I think it is VERY smart to not commit too long in advance in view of the UFA age going down to 27 and then 26 years old in the next couple of years, so room has to be kept available for what could be premier crops of UFAs.

So in the top category, my picks in order of preference are:

1. Brendan Shanahan, at his age two years is probably going to make him happy, maybe even one year, he provides size, respect and leadership and scoring ability at a reasonable price, a no-brainer for this young team in my view.Only drawback is that he is not a center.

2-Jason Arnott, a 2nd line center is our biggest need, he did have a very good pre-UFA year, but I have my worries, he has been inconsistant in the past and this might be the type of guy who could completely flop if he gets off to a bad start and the Montreal crowd gets on his case, not forgetting he would be the guy who chased Ribs in their view. Also, cost would be high and term long...on the other side, if they go for him, Carbo and gainey know this guy pretty well...

3-Jeremy Roenick-Also a center with soem size and a mean streak,I would certainly take a flyer on this guy who would also accept a very short-term one or two-year deal

4-Bill Guerin-Another guy looking for short term redemption who can provide size and speed

5-Victor Kozlov-Tall center,talented but short on production, might come cheap and, who knows, jell well with Kovy, Perezhoghin and Kots...

I would stay away for Trevor Linden (production really going down), Martin Straka (too small for alredy small team),Peca and Halpern (Begin and Murray can do this job for cheaper), Kvasha, Cajanek and McCauley (exchanging 4 quarters for a buck vs. Ribs)and Allison/Lindros (always injured,no other comment needed, look at the results they led the Leafs to)

In the secondary category, here's a few I would look at:

1-Georges Laraque-Top NHL heavyweight, local guy who might come here at a adiscount, used properly he could make a lot of our smaller guys play bigger

2-Anson Carter-Nice size and speed, gritty enough, fits well in new NHL, good poor man's power forward, greta bargain at 1 Million last year.

3-Mike Grier-Tough checker who helps making your team difficult to play against.

Best of the rest who deserve a look if cheap,Mike leclerc and Jarko Ruutu and perhaps Marc Chouinard.

Also, I would not get so discouraged after yesterday, besides Elias, none of the players fitting Habs need went yesterday in my view, today is the day for us!

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:59 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I'm going to focus on forwards, as Gainey has said he will NOT pursue defensemen in the UFA market.

I'm also going to show a little preference for players who would be willing to sign for shorter periods, as I think it is VERY smart to not commit too long in advance in view of the UFA age going down to 27 and then 26 years old in the next couple of years, so room has to be kept available for what could be premier crops of UFAs.

So in the top category, my picks in order of preference are:

1. Brendan Shanahan, at his age two years is probably going to make him happy, maybe even one year, he provides size, respect and leadership and scoring ability at a reasonable price, a no-brainer for this young team in my view.Only drawback is that he is not a center.

2-Jason Arnott, a 2nd line center is our biggest need, he did have a very good pre-UFA year, but I have my worries, he has been inconsistant in the past and this might be the type of guy who could completely flop if he gets off to a bad start and the Montreal crowd gets on his case, not forgetting he would be the guy who chased Ribs in their view. Also, cost would be high and term long...on the other side, if they go for him, Carbo and gainey know this guy pretty well...

3-Jeremy Roenick-Also a center with soem size and a mean streak,I would certainly take a flyer on this guy who would also accept a very short-term one or two-year deal

4-Bill Guerin-Another guy looking for short term redemption who can provide size and speed

5-Victor Kozlov-Tall center,talented but short on production, might come cheap and, who knows, jell well with Kovy, Perezhoghin and Kots...

I would stay away for Trevor Linden (production really going down), Martin Straka (too small for alredy small team),Peca and Halpern (Begin and Murray can do this job for cheaper), Kvasha, Cajanek and McCauley (exchanging 4 quarters for a buck vs. Ribs)and Allison/Lindros (always injured,no other comment needed, look at the results they led the Leafs to)

In the secondary category, here's a few I would look at:

1-Georges Laraque-Top NHL heavyweight, local guy who might come here at a adiscount, used properly he could make a lot of our smaller guys play bigger

2-Anson Carter-Nice size and speed, gritty enough, fits well in new NHL, good poor man's power forward, greta bargain at 1 Million last year.

3-Mike Grier-Tough checker who helps making your team difficult to play against.

Best of the rest who deserve a look if cheap,Mike leclerc and Jarko Ruutu and perhaps Marc Chouinard.

Also, I would not get so discouraged after yesterday, besides Elias, none of the players fitting Habs need went yesterday in my view, today is the day for us!

Very good post. I wanted to add that Guerin would come really cheap since he will be getting huge $$ from the buyout this coming year. It would be worth taking a chance on him.

I still think the Habs need Arnott, but I don't think he will come to the Habs.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
GoHabsGO252006

2 things,

1 Arnott and Shanahan are still available two guys I would love to add to this team.

2. With all the teams overpaying and in cap trouble now, now is the perfect time to scoop an RFA like Havlat. I would be willing to part with 2 #1, a #2 and a #3 for an impact player like him. Although people think it's bad, i say all is fair and war, try and sign him.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:14 AM
RE-HABS

UFA's left that can help and won't be too expensive like the signings of some of the others have been:

Jeff Friesen - LW (29), can he still score?
Ruslan Salei - D (31), good depth Dman if we are to deal a Dman for help at forward.
Mike Grier - RW (31), imagine him with Begin?
Mike Leclerc - LW (29), look at Friesen.
Doug Weight - C (35), still has it, but wouldn't give more than $4 mil or 3 years too.
Radoslav Suchy - D (29), has size, but I don't think he uses it so probably not a good fit.
Jason Arnott - C (31), what we need for size, skill and heart on the 2nd unit.
Bill Guerin - RW (35), could be had very cheaply like an Anson Carter last season
Brendan Shanahan - RW (37) scored 40 last year, probably won't again but will be a cheaper option for the top 2 lines
Mike Peca - C (32), I would sign him if we could move Bonk.
Sergei Samsonov - C (27) still young and just entering his prime, if we are gonna have a small 2nd liner at centre I want him over Ribs.
Jeremy Roenick - C (36), a gamble but will be very cheap and could be a 2nd line player.
Viktor Kozlov - LW (31), skilled but lacks heart, at 31 I don't the consistancy will show ever.
Brendan Witt - D (31), this is the top 4 Dman we need with Markov and Co.
Peter Sykora - RW (29), young and great addition to skilled players like Koivu, Kovalev and others...could be a cheaper option.
Alyn McCauley - C (29), like Peca would be a good addition if we can move Bonk.
Anson Carter - RW (32), will be too expenisive after having a good year in Vancouver.
Jarkko Ruutu - (LW) 30, another player I would love to see with Begin or a Grier.
Jeff Halpern - C (29), good leader and young but like Peca and others we need to move Bonk.

RFA's that maybe too expensive for teams to sign and may need to trade:
Daniel Briere - C (28), small skilled cntre, won't be traded to division rival but could be traded because Buffalo is very tight with their money and have to sign pretty much their whole team.
Erik Cole - RW (27), probably the best power forward in the NHL today, does Carolina have the $'s? I have read rumors about LA pursuing him in trade.
Brian Gionta - RW (27), signing Eliad has made it a lot harder to sign hiim to cash he deserves after scoring 40+.
Scott Gomez - C (26), see Gionta.
Jason Spezza - C (22), Ottawa high in the cap, he deserves to be paid. Won't be traded and if he was it wouldn't be to a divison rival.
Martin Havlat - RW (24), see Spezza, only difference it looks like he will be traded...will Ottawa get fair value though because he insists he is tryiing UFA status next year.
Simon Gagne - LW (26), does Philly have enough in the vault to sign him and the other RFA's on the team???
Ryan Malone - RW (25), Pitt has money to sign him but I think he is on the move, rumors of him beiing available have been out there for about a year now.
Cory Sarich - D (27), Tampa has their goalie and has signed some D via UFA...do they have cap space to sign Sarich and some others?
Ruslan Fedotenko - LW (27), see Sarich.

Still some good UFA's out there for cheaper than the earlier signings and some nice RFA's for trade too.

Gainey is hunting and sending out offer, he isn't signing someone for the sake of signing someone. He knows he is only a player or two in tinkeriing to make the team better via trade or free agency and some others like Kosts, Chip or Latendress may surprise us too in making this team.

Gainey is building a team, not buying one...which never works.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:43 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Think about this: you give 4M$ a season to a guy that joins the team: McKee.... next season, you need to sign Markov, Souray and Rivet....... how do you expect your negociation power to be?!?
Trade Souray. Re-sign Markov. Mckee is better than Rivet

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:02 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Gainey has said he will NOT pursue defensemen in the UFA market.
Well, I like Gainey and especially the fact he will not be forced into deviating from his plan, which I believe is still very much in tact. As for the above statement, well, if Gainey told me he was travelling north, I'd head SOUTH if I wanted to find him. He NEVER divulges his plans, at least not with any degree of accuracy. He may not sign a UFA D, but I for one wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it happen. If he does, I'm betting on Salei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006
now is the perfect time to scoop an RFA like Havlat. I would be willing to part with 2 #1, a #2 and a #3 for an impact player like him.
Havlat is probably the only RFA I'd pay that kind of price for IF he can be signed long term and lured away from his apparent wishes to test free agency next year per RE-HABS post above.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Nihilism

Uh oh, reports have Arnott signing in Nashville... Let the whining begin!

Nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Ginoro

where did you saw that ?

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Garp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
where did you saw that ?
http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...02925&size=595

Don't know if it's reliable tho...

Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
katodelder

This offseason has been a collosal failure. Bob Gainey is not doing his job.

katodelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Agalloch

What about Halpern ? Would he be a good 2nd Center? (And cheap one)

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder View Post
This offseason has been a collosal failure. Bob Gainey is not doing his job.
Just wait. I am currently very happy with wath he did:
- Signed Huet
- Signed Bouillon
- Did not sign Arnott

The only big centers left are Weight and Kozlov. There is also a possibility that a trade occurs since Ribeiro, Zednik and Aebisher could be nice and cheap fits for other teams. I don't know what to think about Weight Shanahan and Guerin... would they like to come in Montreal? On the other hand, Kozlov could enjoy playing with Kovalev and Markov... with Perezhogin and Kostitsin, you have numerous players on our roster from countries of the old USSR. Still, I wish Gainey could sign a depth player like McCauley or Halpern... I feel a switch to north-american players could help the team.

Old
07-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I really wonder how they will make it.... isn't Forsberg near done?
They really improved their defence with minor moves. They have a ton of talent and alot of it is improving. I think they will be better.