HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT-Smart and not-so-smart moves of the day-JUly 1

Old
07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
OT-Smart and not-so-smart moves of the day-JUly 1

Not talking so much the marquee names, the surprise there being that teams still very far from contention dished out big bucks for big names such as Bruins for Chara and Yotes for Jovocop, but nice middle-of-the-pack opportunities out there, such as Selanne or Anson Carter last year.

In the frenzy over defensemen, my top votes go to:

Tampa Bay, for refusing to dish out 5 Million to Kubina and immediately replacing him with another top 4 defenseman in Filip Kuba for a fraction of that price (3 years @ 3 Million each)

Calgary for getting Andrei Zyuzin, another potential top 4 guy, for very cheap (TSN says 2 years for 2.8 MIllion, does not say if it's total or per season)

I also like New Jersey keeping their key guys, but it's going to be agonizing for them, fun for the others watching them struggle all year to meet the Cap...

In the not-so-smart category:

Boston for dishing out big bucks at Chara when they are so far from contention and also for being attracted by Marc Savard's misleading stats directly resulting from playing with Hossa and Kovalchuk

Ottawa for dishing out almost 4 Million per year for Martin Gerber

Toronto for throwing 6.3 mIllion after Hal Gill, particularly in the new NHL

Might be some other good deals out there, a sterms have not been disclosed for some of the contracts.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Mike8

Ottawa's signing of Joe Corvo has got to be the worst signing of the day.

Kim Johnsson getting paid $5m per is lousy as well.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Pat

IMO, award for the worst signing of the day goes to TO for the Hal Gill signing

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Nihilism

Kuba>Kubina

and for a helluva cheaper price

Nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The UFA period is exaclty a period when the majority of the players will be overpaid. So there's room for the cap, who cares if they guy receives more money than he should. It's the return on investment that's important. But every team that did sign some players yesterday did improve no question. Again for the Leafs to not having Belak and Berg in the lineup and got Kubina and Gill (even though he ain't the 8th world wonder...) you can't say they didn't get better.

Sens got Gerber instead of playing Emery, but got Corvo instead of Pothier and Chara so their D is in trouble....but got better goalie wise. Obviously the same applies for Boston and the rest of the major signings.

This is really funny to see that we wanted a lot of the players available and then when they sign elsewhere, they suddenly become overrated....We were drooling over the possibility of having Kubina and now that TO got him, is it me or he's not that great anymore....

We did that Theo trade in order to have some room to something MAJOR, if I'm not mistaken, obviously we're only at our 2nd day, but what's left that it could be considered as major.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Pat

Habs signing Arnott and Shanahan could be considered major

Old
07-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Boston for dishing out big bucks at Chara when they are so far from contention and also for being attracted by Marc Savard's misleading stats directly resulting from playing with Hossa and Kovalchuk.
I tought Savard was playing with Hossa only to provide to good scoring lines to Atlanta..... and by the way, Savard was top scorer of the league after 10 games while Kovalchuk was signing his contract. Playing with Hossa probably helped like it helped Bonk, but Savard has always been underestimated IMO.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Habs signing Arnott and Shanahan could be considered major

True. Getting Arnott is more probable than Shanny. And I do consider Arnott, even with his flaws, to be a huge improvement over Ribs. But I'm still beginning to think that with all that great connection between Gainey, Carbo and Arnott than this would've been done as of now. Does suddenly Arnott becomes interesting for tons of other teams that weren't succesful on the first day. Would the ''connection'' be sufficient enough to bring him here. I'm beginning to doubt it. But agaiin if he ends up in TO, you know we will see some people with ''anyway, he's not that good....''

I just wonder what his Gainey's strategy as far as d-men are concerned. Are we going to lose our top 3 and then sign some d-men next year? He doesn't do anything 'cause he believes he'll be able to sign all of those 3, though you know Souray will be gone. Is he thinking trades as far as those guys are concerned. I'm more concerned about our d-men situation than of our forwards 'cause I have tons of confidence in our rookies up front.

Old
07-02-2006, 08:51 AM
ti-vite

I'm happy we have not signed any deals that will handicap us in 4-5 years with huge salaries (see Chara or Elias)

THe smart GMs are being patient. Its not just this year, who may be available next season? how is my cap situation next year.

Kneejerk GMs are going to be in trouble

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
True. Getting Arnott is more probable than Shanny. And I do consider Arnott, even with his flaws, to be a huge improvement over Ribs. But I'm still beginning to think that with all that great connection between Gainey, Carbo and Arnott than this would've been done as of now. Does suddenly Arnott becomes interesting for tons of other teams that weren't succesful on the first day. Would the ''connection'' be sufficient enough to bring him here. I'm beginning to doubt it. But agaiin if he ends up in TO, you know we will see some people with ''anyway, he's not that good....''

I just wonder what his Gainey's strategy as far as d-men are concerned. Are we going to lose our top 3 and then sign some d-men next year? He doesn't do anything 'cause he believes he'll be able to sign all of those 3, though you know Souray will be gone. Is he thinking trades as far as those guys are concerned. I'm more concerned about our d-men situation than of our forwards 'cause I have tons of confidence in our rookies up front.
I wish I had as much confidence in our offense as you seem to have. I see the same offense who can't score regularly. I see the same offense that needs help. that offense needs more offensive help and needs to be bigger and tougher.
I have confidence in our D's play, but like you mention we stand to lose our top 3 after next season. I hope Gainey is thinking ahead.

Old
07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
I'm happy we have not signed any deals that will handicap us in 4-5 years with huge salaries (see Chara or Elias)

THe smart GMs are being patient. Its not just this year, who may be available next season? how is my cap situation next year.

Quoted for the truth.

Old
07-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

So was the Theo trade made to get a great 6-millon guy or 2 guys at 3 millions???Or finally it meant nothing than to keep the money and see at the trade dealine what will happen. Just funny that we thought that we would do something with that money at the deadline, then we thought at draft day, then we thought for UFA and now we will probably wait for the next trade deadline......

Old
07-02-2006, 09:29 AM
obcd1

Quote:
So was the Theo trade made to get a great 6-millon guy or 2 guys at 3 millions???Or finally it meant nothing than to keep the money and see at the trade dealine what will happen. Just funny that we thought that we would do something with that money at the deadline, then we thought at draft day, then we thought for UFA and now we will probably wait for the next trade deadline......
"we tought"? I think you mean "I tought"

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
"we tought"? I think you mean "I tought"
So was it for you then? That extra money was not supposed to be used? Sorry, that's news to me. Anyway, there's still tons of time left, tons of UFA agents waiting to be overpaid, but at least let's hope that the ''supposed'' great room that we have for the salary cap will be useful. I guess I was the only one that thought we would use that extra space we have....

Old
07-02-2006, 10:09 AM
obcd1

Quote:
So was it for you then? That extra money was not supposed to be used? Sorry, that's news to me. Anyway, there's still tons of time left, tons of UFA agents waiting to be overpaid, but at least let's hope that the ''supposed'' great room that we have for the salary cap will be useful. I guess I was the only one that thought we would use that extra space we have....
Well I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't sign anybody, but that might just be me

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
znk

When you realize NJ got Elias for just 1 millon more then Toronto signed for Kubina....it makes you wonder.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Darz

Quote:

At least someone hasn't let the free agent fever could their judgement. You're speakin the truth!!!

Hey, I don't think Gainey is sitting back not contacting UFA's, but when teams like NJ force Gainey to offer a guy like Elias $49M over 7 years (I'm sure Elias returns to NJ if we make him the same offer, so...), I'm glad he backs down.

I don't want a GM who panics and doesn't look at both the short and long term effects of his decisons. For some reason we keep forgeting how many bad UFA's signings there are every year. Did we all forget about the failures of the NYR's during their sign all the UFA out there years???? Have we forgotten all the overpayments on the UFA market that were made only one year ago???? I understand that the fans want to see a big signing, but when other GM's are running around like a chicken with their head cut off, I'm glad the habs have a calculating calm guy like Gainey in charge!!!!

07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Why do you continually insist that Souray will be gone?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
heh, I just saw that Chicago signed Lalime.

Awesome.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:36 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
At least someone hasn't let the free agent fever could their judgement. You're speakin the truth!!!

Hey, I don't think Gainey is sitting back not contacting UFA's, but when teams like NJ force Gainey to offer a guy like Elias $49M over 7 years (I'm sure Elias returns to NJ if we make him the same offer, so...), I'm glad he backs down.

I don't want a GM who panics and doesn't look at both the short and long term effects of his decisons. For some reason we keep forgeting how many bad UFA's signings there are every year. Did we all forget about the failures of the NYR's during their sign all the UFA out there years???? Have we forgotten all the overpayments on the UFA market that were made only one year ago???? I understand that the fans want to see a big signing, but when other GM's are running around like a chicken with their head cut off, I'm glad the habs have a calculating calm guy like Gainey in charge!!!!

Well said, Darz.

Since hockey is a business, lets make a comparison to the business world.

Imagine working in an environment where your employer is constantly moving staff. Transferring to one department to another, firing and hiring new people. What kind of effect would this have on the overall environment?

Now considering an employer who works with his assets and flaws. Rather than constaly making changes, they tend to try to improve from within. They don't make any panic moves.

IMO, what Bob is doing is much better for the long term.

Old
07-02-2006, 10:39 AM
DamianHabs

[QUOTE=plafleur10;5886417]
Calgary for getting Andrei Zyuzin, another potential top 4 guy, for very cheap (TSN says 2 years for 2.8 MIllion, does not say if it's total or per season)

Andre Zyuzin is the furthest things from a top four guy. If the Flames are counting on him as a top four guy, they're in trouble....

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:03 AM
oli500

Funny the leafs spend all this money to bulk up theire top four defencemen and are top four is still better than theres without spending a dime.

Karberle Markov

Mccabe souray

Kubina Komisarek

Gill Rivet

If you think rivet or souray is overpaid chek what the leaf spend on theire top four.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:06 AM
plafleur10

per TSN

[QUOTE=DamianHabs;5887548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post

Andre Zyuzin is the furthest things from a top four guy. If the Flames are counting on him as a top four guy, they're in trouble....
For players in the West,I tend to rely on TSN's analysis, as we just do not see them often enough to pass judgment. Here's what they have to say about this guy:

Assets: Has the size, skill and skating ability to be a major asset along an NHL blueline. Is starting to play a more consistent game.
Flaws: Has improved his attitude but still needs more work. Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and defensive-zone coverage.
Career potential: Top four defenseman.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...ame=nhl-flames

If you recall, this guy was drafted 3rd or 4th overall a few years back, had trouble getting going, was reported to have some problem with the Russian mafia, but he was really coming into his own playing for Jacques Lemaire in Minny.

I believe Calagry is trying to cheaply and smartly fill the void resulting from the Leopold -Tanguay trade, so they get a decent guy to replace Leopold and have Tanguay to boot!

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Why do you continually insist that Souray will be gone?
Is it me or he asks for a trade to be closer this his daughter???Something along the lines, ''I love it here, I don't want to go but again, if a trade happens and I'm closer to my daughter, It will be great as well''. Do you think with that sort of thinking, if they guy has a chance to leave as UFA he won't do it. All that family stuff comes first, I don't believe Lowe wants to trade Pronger either, but in the end Gainey won't have a choice......or I totally misquoted Souray's statement.....

Old
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Funny the leafs spend all this money to bulk up theire top four defencemen and are top four is still better than theres without spending a dime.

Karberle Markov

Mccabe souray

Kubina Komisarek

Gill Rivet

If you think rivet or souray is overpaid chek what the leaf spend on theire top four.

Sorry but the only 2 spots I can agree with you is the Rivet and Markov comparison. So Komi is better than Kubina???Come on, Kaberle and Markov, well it's closer than it appears 67 points -1 VS 46 points +13, but I too would go with Markov for his overall play since points is not the only thing to watch. As tough as we can be on McCabe the guy did finish with 19 goals and 68 points but -1, 3rd amongst d-men and Souray 39 points -11. I don't want McCabe near my team but McCabe is superior to Souray.

I think so far where we're far superior to them is our 5th and 6th, still believe, even though I don't like him that Dandy, as of now is superior to any youngsters they have in TO like Carlo, White or other kids. Same goes with Bouillon.