HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bortuzzo

Old
01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Adams27

vCash: 500
According to Stiegerwald the other night Ben Lovejoy is the best 7th defenceman in the league....what ever that is worth....lol

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Til the End of Time

i've met lovejoy twice at the dartmouth hockey frat house (heoret). he is honestly as nice of a guy in person/drunk as he seems/fans always say. just a real genuine down to earth hombre.

so i feel bad for saying this, but man i dont want him playing d for the pens. every game he plays is a missed chance for bortuzzo/despres to learn something/develop.

i hope lovejoy gets traded somewhere else and carves out a nice nhl career for himself. just not here.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:07 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

He seemed really cool on 24/7. He is just a train wreck on the ice. Every time he's out there it's an adventure.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
He seemed really cool on 24/7. He is just a train wreck on the ice. Every time he's out there it's an adventure.
Yeah, I really hope he has a long NHL career... just as a #7 for someone else.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

It's not even so much that Lovejoy is bad, because he's not, he's just a very vanilla, run of the mill type player. He doesn't really have any stand out skills aside from skating fairly well.

The Pens are missing a strong defensive presence more than a guy who can pinch in occasionally without much to show for it. Bortuzzo's game fits the Pens' current needs more than Lovejoy, or even Despres for that matter.

It's good to have some well rounded players, but there's also nothing wrong with having a guy who excels at a certain area, even if it's at the expense of something else.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Al Smith

Agree the Pens are missing a stay-at-home-clear-the-crease defenseman, especially come playoff time. I don't know if Bortuzzo will be effective in that role at the NHL level (probably not this year at least), but if they want that (and they should), they're going to need to go out and probably pay a decent price for it.

Lovejoy certainly ain't that guy, but the group-hate for a guy who's a serviceable 6th D is pretty silly.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 AM

Maybe Lovejoy is next in line for Genos other winger.

71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
themethod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
The Pens are missing a strong defensive presence more than a guy who can pinch in occasionally without much to show for it. Bortuzzo's game fits the Pens' current needs more than Lovejoy, or even Despres for that matter.

It's good to have some well rounded players, but there's also nothing wrong with having a guy who excels at a certain area, even if it's at the expense of something else.
Absolutely. Shero never filled the void left by Gill/Scuderi - he tried with Michalek but it just didn't work. Part of me wonders if he could have eventually found his game like Martin seems to have done (knock on wood) but he probably made too much $$ for a "let's hope he turns it around" kinda guy. As much as I think we need a legit top-6 wing/secondary scoring, I think a big, solid defensive d-man is just as necessary if we're going to make a cup run.

themethod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
According to Stiegerwald the other night Ben Lovejoy is the best 7th defenceman in the league....what ever that is worth....lol
I'd rather have a #5 defender than the best #7 in the league....

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Is Bortuzzo actually going to see a game this season? Or is he going to remain the #7/#8 all year and be a healthy scratch, unless injuries decimate the blueline?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
SidsBackhand

Bortuzzo is more NHL ready that Despres right now. I've always been confident in him. Every time he gets called to action, be it injury or guys needing a rest, he usually answers the call. Great to see him rotating to help our struggling back end.

I do have to give props to Lovejoy for being fearless and joining the rush lately. He's got the wheels, and I love the initiative to try to get one seeing that our offense has been struggling. And the most important part is that he got back on defense in time after joining the rush.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

I hear bortuzzo is in tonight

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
catdaddy
Maatasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
I hear bortuzzo is in tonight
Heard the same and wishing him well in his 2013 debut! Hope Lovejoy sits and not Despres but at this point I have very little faith in DB's judgement.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

I just hope he doesn't have a single mistake, or he'll be sitting the next game.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Wingerz

Bourtuzzo and Engelland would not be fun to play against.

Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
titaniumexpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by themethod7 View Post
Absolutely. Shero never filled the void left by Gill/Scuderi - he tried with Michalek but it just didn't work. Part of me wonders if he could have eventually found his game like Martin seems to have done (knock on wood) but he probably made too much $$ for a "let's hope he turns it around" kinda guy. As much as I think we need a legit top-6 wing/secondary scoring, I think a big, solid defensive d-man is just as necessary if we're going to make a cup run.
I've thought this since the MTL series. We need someone in that mold to win the cup again. I don't feel confident we have a d-man who can do the job right now.

titaniumexpose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Adams27

Bortuzzo reminds me of a big saint bernard puppy

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:16 PM
nhindian

Bortuzzo looking okay I suppose.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
Agree the Pens are missing a stay-at-home-clear-the-crease defenseman, especially come playoff time. I don't know if Bortuzzo will be effective in that role at the NHL level (probably not this year at least), but if they want that (and they should), they're going to need to go out and probably pay a decent price for it.

Lovejoy certainly ain't that guy, but the group-hate for a guy who's a serviceable 6th D is pretty silly.
Fine so he's a serviceable 6th D with zero upside... and yet we play him over two very young players who are just as serviceable as the 6th guy who both have tons of upside when compared to Lovejoy...

So why should we embrace/accept him on this roster? I had no/little issues with him on it last year (even when he played bad) or the year before. But now that we have rookies coming up (and he's aged), he needs to go. We already lost Strait (who's proving me right - that he could play a meaningful role in the NHL). Now we're hurting Bort and Despres's chances at growing as much as possible everytime we sit them in favor of Lovejoy.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Fine so he's a serviceable 6th D with zero upside... and yet we play him over two very young players who are just as serviceable as the 6th guy who both have tons of upside when compared to Lovejoy...

So why should we embrace/accept him on this roster? I had no/little issues with him on it last year (even when he played bad) or the year before. But now that we have rookies coming up (and he's aged), he needs to go. We already lost Strait (who's proving me right - that he could play a meaningful role in the NHL). Now we're hurting Bort and Despres's chances at growing as much as possible everytime we sit them in favor of Lovejoy.
Bortuzzo's played like three NHL games. I'm not sure he's proven his serviceability yet (and he was pretty bad last night). And Despres has played well in the last few games, but was pretty bad in the first couple games and, from most accounts, was equally inconsistent at WBS. And Lovejoy, who will soon be 29 (not old), does have some upside, as he was playing quite well for the Pens before he was hurt, so maybe they think he can get back to that level.

Lovejoy doesn't pick who's on the roster. I don't think the 8 d-men on the roster thing will last, and I suspect Lovejoy will move for very little at the trade deadline (maybe we could get a 4th line grinder for him . . . .). I understand the frustration for keeping the guy around when younger guys might be better given the chance. I just don't get the mindless hate for the guy's play, which is pretty much what you'd expect from a 5/6 D. (and let's not even get into Engelland's so-so play this year).

I suspect Lovejoy and Bort will go back to sitting when Niskanen gets back, and if Despres consistently improves, the issue will go away, at least temporarily.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch the Pens-Rags game the other night, but saw some video and read some reports. But the main thing is: people need to be realistic with Bortuzzo. A better example of how he could perform (at least as a rookie) at this level came last season when he was called up, and before he got injured. He showed some very good things (especially size, reach, a willingness to be physical, and a surprising ability to even jump into the play offensively on the rush).

But if you guys are going to micro-analyse the guy right now, that's not a good thing. He's a guy whose shot should have come much earlier this year (he should have been inserted before Lovejoy ever was), and thus has not seen ANY game action for several weeks now, and none at the NHL level since last season. I certainly hope he will become a fixture on the blueline this season, and that's the silver lining about injuries like Nisky's, but given where Bort has been at with no game action, I would say you would have to give the guy a minimum of 7 or 8 games of (or 2 to 3 weeks) of continually being in the line-up before making any assessments of his play.

And even then, there will still be some growing pains. We can't all of a sudden shift and have 4 or 5 rookies (plus Letang) comprising our top-6. Given that Bort has good upside, can't be sent through waivers, and won't develop in the press box, I think they need to get him into game action, even at the expense of Despres. The problem: the Martin-Orpik (left) and (when healthy) Letang-Niskanen (left) have been good, but I'm not so sure Engelland -- who also deserves to stay in the line-up -- will work well on the left side. So ultimately, if Bort is to remain in the line-up, we may have to see Orpik and Martin broken up, with Paul going back to the left side and one of those 2 paired with Bort and the other paired with Engelland.

The catch on that is that Martin would have to maintain his better performance with being on the left side and with another partner. It's all very complicated because so much of the decisions are intertwined and conditional about other things. That is why it is easy to see why they were going so hard after Suter, and not because Shero has a D fetish like with the drafting; but rather to give Letang a legit, NHL ready top-pairing, left-side partner to play with to slot everyone else down to find the right pairings. They're experimenting right now to see if Despres is ready to be the next Suter, but I don't think he's quite there yet.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Bortuzzo's played like three NHL games. I'm not sure he's proven his serviceability yet (and he was pretty bad last night). And Despres has played well in the last few games, but was pretty bad in the first couple games and, from most accounts, was equally inconsistent at WBS. And Lovejoy, who will soon be 29 (not old), does have some upside, as he was playing quite well for the Pens before he was hurt, so maybe they think he can get back to that level.
I had hopes for Lovejoy when he came up after an AHL team of the year season. But he he has not improved from being that guy, and the best thing you can say about him is that he has a good character (well liked), skates pretty well and he is a versatile player to have as a depth option.

He has had almost 100 games over a three year period to show us what there is to him, and he has had openings due to injuries where he got to play significant minutes for stretches of a time. We know what he is; that at best he can be injury cover for us. When that is the case and you have players with a much higher ceiling about to be lost for nothing, then the natural gamble is/should and must be to go with that ceiling.

In the greater scheme of things, losing Strait means NOTHING for us. But the way it has gone down is a flag, because the same situation will happen with other good D-prospects shortly. Bortuzzo is obviously not 'confirmed' as an NHL player yet, but while there is uncertainty there, there is also the not far fetched chance that he could be REALLY good, and more so the strengths he has are explicitly those that we have been short on for some years now defensively. You gamble on that every time if it is a question of him or Lovejoy.

Quote:
Lovejoy doesn't pick who's on the roster.
I don't get the hate on him either, for the record. There is no reason to dislike a guy who simply fills his role, and he does not suck quite as bad as is being made out either.
To me this isn't about Lovejoy, it is about Shero making completely clear to Bylsma that he isn't losing Bortuzzo like he did Strait.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Penkin

Bortuzzo looked more comfortable today........ I think he may fit nicely into the third pairing.

Penkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penkin View Post
Bortuzzo looked more comfortable today........ I think he may fit nicely into the third pairing.

Bortuzzo is the real deal. I'm not at all surprised to see him play so well in the NHL, though I didn't expect to see that big of a jump after just one game after so much time out of the line-up. Whenever I look at our defensive depth chart, including our prospects, I just do not see a scenario in which Bortuzzo is not a part of our group going forward for a lot of years.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:07 AM
hong57

Hello, just wondering how Bortuzzo is playing these few games, coz I see him playing less than 10 mins, will he get any PP / SHTOI in the near future?

hong57 is offline   Reply With Quote