HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Charlotte Checkers II: The Wrath of Boychuk

Old
01-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Novacane
LOCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Where are these Weber rumors originating, Dave? I haven't seen anything so far. I don't check Eklund, is it there?
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/355334.html

Article from RDS.

Relevant translation:
Quote:
This is the panelist of The Antechamber issue RDS, Guy Carbonneau, who made ​​this statement while François Gagnon revealed that the Ottawa Senators and Carolina Hurricanes had an eye on the rear Swiss

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Interesting. Thanks everyone. I have been a big fan of Weber for a long time. I hope there are legs to this one.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

It also makes sense regarding the indefinite fate of Boychuk. Yes, he cleared waivers way back when during the *wink wink* stage where AHL guys were off limits, but he still has a modicum of value in my estimation. Not sure what the plans are for him, but it certainly isn't sitting in the press box. If we could find a defensive project to flip for Boychuk, it might take some of the sting out of his developmental stagnation.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Interesting. Thanks everyone. I have been a big fan of Weber for a long time. I hope there are legs to this one.
Whaaaaaat? Why? The guy's an undersized, offensive guy who's never been able to make it any higher than being a #6/7 guy on a team not known for defensive depth. We don't need a defenseman like him at all. I'm kinda surprised you're such a fan.

Sure you're not thinking of Shea Weber

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'll take Weber if that means Corvo is gone lol

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Weber would be a great addition to our defense if JR wants to build a team to break the team record for goals against. I don't really see any other use for him with our current group of defensemen.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Whaaaaaat? Why? The guy's an undersized, offensive guy who's never been able to make it any higher than being a #6/7 guy on a team not known for defensive depth. We don't need a defenseman like him at all. I'm kinda surprised you're such a fan.

Sure you're not thinking of Shea Weber
I wouldn't say he's entirely undersized. He's a shade under six feet and two bills, which is good enough. Roughly the same size as Justin Faulk. Being a Swiss defender from Montreal, it's tough to ignore the Mark Streit similarities here as both would jump from forward to defense. I feel like with the proper development he could have a similar career arc.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Peters was 12-13 saves in the AHL game for his shift.

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's entirely undersized. He's a shade under six feet and two bills, which is good enough. Roughly the same size as Justin Faulk. Being a Swiss defender from Montreal, it's tough to ignore the Mark Streit similarities here as both would jump from forward to defense. I feel like with the proper development he could have a similar career arc.
I can understand why you would want a guy like Weber, but you have to know he's the opposite of what the Canes need right now.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Welsh with a goal and assist in tonights 2-1 win @ OKC.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I can understand why you would want a guy like Weber, but you have to know he's the opposite of what the Canes need right now.
I think a strong point was made by BCC the other day when he said it's not a stylistic need that the Hurricanes really need. It's not a matter of defensive defenseman against offensive defenseman, it's a matter of that our bottom pairing defenders are brutal at hockey regardless of what style they play.

I feel like Weber would be a marked improvement over Sanguinetti or Corvo, and anything at all to make this defensive unit better as a collective unit would be a welcome addition to me.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
I think a strong point was made by BCC the other day when he said it's not a stylistic need that the Hurricanes really need. It's not a matter of defensive defenseman against offensive defenseman, it's a matter of that our bottom pairing defenders are brutal at hockey regardless of what style they play.

I feel like Weber would be a marked improvement over Sanguinetti or Corvo, and anything at all to make this defensive unit better as a collective unit would be a welcome addition to me.
That's fair, but it would likely require waiving one of Sanguinetti or Corvo. I couldnt care less about that but my guess is the organization wouldn't be thrilled about losing Sangs for nothing or paying Corvo a prorated 2 mil to golf.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Novacane
LOCK

I don't think we could bury Corvo even if we wanted to because of his NMC.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Welsh with a goal and assist in tonights 2-1 win @ OKC.
Bob Everybody Loves Raymond with the winner

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Ouch, 7-3 loss at OKC.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I would love to talk to somebody inside the Hurricanes organization and ask them why Chris Terry has never gotten an NHL game. I know we've had some depth, but it seems like everybody else has gotten a shot. I think with Boychuk gone, his time may be coming sooner than later.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
I would love to talk to somebody inside the Hurricanes organization and ask them why Chris Terry has never gotten an NHL game. I know we've had some depth, but it seems like everybody else has gotten a shot. I think with Boychuk gone, his time may be coming sooner than later.
Hell, Pither probably gets a shot before Terry does, knowing how this organization seems to not want to see Terry up with the big boys.

bilpeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Probably for the same reason that Nick Dodge never did, despite otherwise being a perfect candidate for the #4C spot: his skating.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Probably for the same reason that Nick Dodge never did, despite otherwise being a perfect candidate for the #4C spot: his skating.
I think we were all a bit more in love with Dodge than our scouting ever was. With Terry's tangible results playing a role, it would seem like he would have gotten a look see by now the way Samson did. From all indications, he's a really good kid with some serious offensive skills. I just wonder if anything would translate.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
bleedgreen

Reminds me of a laymans skinner, similar bowlegged skating. Good all around player, creative and shifty, works hard. He's due.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
I think we were all a bit more in love with Dodge than our scouting ever was. With Terry's tangible results playing a role, it would seem like he would have gotten a look see by now the way Samson did. From all indications, he's a really good kid with some serious offensive skills. I just wonder if anything would translate.
Believe me, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve a shot, just trying to rationalize why he might not be. IMO once the Checkers clinch a few different guys should get their look, especially if the Canes have injury woes like we have in the past around that time. From a statistical standpoint alone over the past few seasons Terry deserves as much. Same with Blanchard, Jordan, and Krueger just to see what they can bring at this level.

Wouldn't mind seeing the legend that is Luke Pither get a callup here late in the season either.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
CanesAvs16

Hey guys I have a question. Has anybody here watched Zac Dalpe play for the Charlotte Checkers as a center? Does anyone think they are forcing him to become a winger when he should be a center? Just wondering! Thanks!

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:22 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

12,948 showed up tonight for a 3-2 lose that really should have been a win or at the very least a OT/SO loss. Checkers gave up a terrible shorthanded goal that killed a lot of momentum. Once again, team has trouble winning in front of big crowds.

On the positive, it seems like Jared Staal is playing well lately. Had a goal tonight and some big hits. Pither recorded an assist and Dalpe had the other goal.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

2-1 win today. They usually win on Sundays.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

8-2 win @ Milwaukee. Terry and Nash both had 2 goals.

At Grand Rapids today.