HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Stepan

Old
02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
The Rangers would definitely have to add to get O'Reilly. O'Reilly is already one of the best defensive forwards in the game, an great forechecker and he produced very comparable numbers to Stepan despite playing on a poor Avs team and playing in a far more defensive role. I'm a Rangers fan but I'm sure O'Reilly has more value than Stepan, and I'd do a straight up swap in a heartbeat.
If I had a nickle for every player who was "one of the best defensive forwards in the game," I could buy the Coyotes. O'Reilly's a good player. Until he shows that last season wasn't a fluke, he's a guy with two third line seasons and one second line season. That's not worth trading a guy like Stepan for, even BEFORE you take into account RO'R's insane salary demands for a second contract.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Yeah but I'm not sure if the last season was the real Ryan O'Reilly. He went 26, 26, then 55. Sather is going to take this into account. I'm fine with 4M for a 1 year deal but not any longer than 1 year. Stepan is also on an ELC. He's also getting much better defensively.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
I think O'Reilly for Stepan straight up would be fair.

Kind of clear O'Reilly wants out of Colorado anyway...might as well trade him.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
5 million for a guy with what very well could be one fluke season? Thanks, but no. I'd rather keep the guy whose career low is higher than your guy's career average.

As for your delusion that you would get Stepan AND Del Zotto for inferior versions of each (drastically inferior in Elliott's case), I don't even know what to say to that. I actually like O'Reilly's game, but he's rapidly become the most overrated player on these boards.
Again, Oreilly was forced to play a very Defensive role his first two seasons. He was stuck behind Stastny AND Duchene in Center depth and didn't get the opportunity to play in an offensive role. In year 3 Duchene started out on the wing allowing Oreilly to move up to the #2C spot and he never looked back again, becoming our #1C by years end.

And its not like Stepan has been a 50 point guy for 4 or 5 years or something. He's had 2 years of 45 and 51 points, playing on a far more offensive team then the Avs.

Ask any other fan not of these 2 teams and I can all but gurantee you they'd say Oreilly is the superior player right now, and probably in the future.

And one of your arguments are that so many players get listed as "one of the best defensive forwards in the game", well that might get slightly overused in some cases, but how many 21 year old players in the history of the NHL have led the ENTIRE league in Takeaways, beating the likes of Datsyuk, Toews, and Bergeron who have all won Selke's already or at least been finalists. Oreilly is well on his way to becoming a long time Selke contender, and there are no signs in his game that would say last year was just a fluke.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Why would we trade Stepan? We're not that deep at C, JT Miller isn't ready yet, and Sather likely sees him as Richards' long term replacement.

No holes could be filled without creating a new one at 2C.

Brad, don't ever retire.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:27 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Curious as to what a Stepan+McDonagh deal for O'Reilly + would look like since MDZ seems a no go. From what I've read McDonagh is more untouchable, but there is always a price and I'd like to see how high that is. If its win now and NYR would prefer a more proven Stastny over O'Reilly, that could work too. Avs could throw in Jones even with their lack of winger depth as their Defense needs upgraded in at least 3 spots.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Curious as to what a Stepan+McDonagh deal for O'Reilly + would look like since MDZ seems a no go. From what I've read McDonagh is more untouchable, but there is always a price and I'd like to see how high that is. If its win now and NYR would prefer a more proven Stastny over O'Reilly, that could work too. Avs could throw in Jones even with their lack of winger depth as their Defense needs upgraded in at least 3 spots.
For McDonagh and Stepan it would have to be Stastny AND O'reilly.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

McDonagh is to us what EJ is to you. No dice.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
Considering the Rangers are in a win now mode, a trade including Derek Stepan would either be a win win trade where the Rangers trade Stepan for a similar age/skill/potential 2nd line centre drafted between 2007-2009 where both players just need a change of scenery. Or the Rangers could use Stepan in a package with a 2nd rounder and a prospect or maybe even Zuccarello's rights for an upgrade, although the later would mean less cap space moving forward
Gagner ?

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Stepan AND McDonagh?

Well, start with O'Reilly, then add your first, unprotected, then tank the rest of the season, then add from there.

McDonagh is freakishly good. Freakishly, scary, scary good.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Kershaw

O'Reilly played with Landeskog, much superior to anything Stepan had.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
For McDonagh and Stepan it would have to be Stastny AND O'reilly.
Not a chance. Stastny is overpaid.

McD starts with Landeskog coming the other way.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Not a chance. Stastny is overpaid.

McD starts with Landeskog coming the other way.
Starts?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Starts?

Yeah?

Old
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Starts?

Yes. A young #2 d-man starts with a player like that coming back. There is always a premium placed on defensemen compared to forwards.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
O'Reilly played with Landeskog, much superior to anything Stepan had.
I thought Gaborik was one of the best offensive players in the game? Stepan played with Gaborik in about 85% of his ice-time at even strength.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I thought Gaborik was one of the best offensive players in the game? Stepan played with Gaborik in about 85% of his ice-time at even strength.
Landeskog is better.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Landeskog is better.
At defense. Gaborik is a 40-goal-scorer. You can't honestly tell me that you think Landeskog was better than Gaborik offensively in his rookie season.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
At defense. Gaborik is a 40-goal-scorer. You can't honestly tell me that you think Landeskog was better than Gaborik offensively in his rookie season.
Of course not offensively, but the Landeskog-O'Reilly-Winnik line as a whole was much better than any lines the Rangers had last year. Can't see where the linemate excuses are coming from when O'Reilly had the best defensive winger in hockey on his line.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yes. A young #2 d-man starts with a player like that coming back. There is always a premium placed on defensemen compared to forwards.
Quote:
Yeah?
Yup its official, McDonagh is probably the most overrated player on HF Boards....

WOW

Old
02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Yup its official, McDonagh is probably the most overrated player on HF Boards....

WOW
And why is that?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I might do McDonagh for Landeskog straight up. Landeskog is Callahan on steroids.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

From a neutral fan who's high on both players, Landeskog for McDonagh straight up is pretty fair.

Quote:
Of course not offensively, but the Landeskog-O'Reilly-Winnik line as a whole was much better than any lines the Rangers had last year. Can't see where the linemate excuses are coming from when O'Reilly had the best defensive winger in hockey on his line.
We're talking about offense. Gaborik>>>Landeskog offensively last season. Then you make it sound like O'Reilly was just a product of Landeskog defensively when O'Reilly has been a Selke caliber defensive forward for two years before he ever got Landeskog. And secondly, are you kidding me? Daniel Winnik? The guy who has stone hands and scored 8 goals all last year? He if anything stunted O'Reilly's offensive game.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
And why is that?
One good playoff run and suddenly he's worth more then the guy who was just named youngest captain in NHL history, won the Calder, is only 19 years old, and a former 2nd overall pick?

I mean McDonagh was great sure, but before last years playoffs half of HF boards didn't even know his name, now he's apparently considered a god.

He and OEL have become so overrated because of one good showcasing of talent in the playoffs.

Its unfortunate because McDonagh particularly is a guy I want to like and want to see succeed, but this is just ridiculous.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
One good playoff run and suddenly he's worth more then the guy who was just named youngest captain in NHL history, won the Calder, is only 19 years old, and a former 2nd overall pick?

I mean McDonagh was great sure, but before last years playoffs half of HF boards didn't even know his name, now he's apparently considered a god.

He and OEL have become so overrated because of one good showcasing of talent in the playoffs.

Its unfortunate because McDonagh particularly is a guy I want to like and want to see succeed, but this is just ridiculous.
That's because of HF, not because of McDonagh. He had a fantastic rookie year.