HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

why do fans bash long term signnings?

Old
07-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
why do fans bash long term signnings?

most of the bashing I see against team signning big players is the length of the contract, but even we did it last year with Kavalev with four years contract, and no one is taking short term contract this year...

I would understand the criticism if we had run out of Salary cap limit but we have plenty of money to spend but there won't be any player coming to montreal if we are looking for short term signning...

Ya Toronto, Boston, New Jercey, Minnesotta might have made mistake giving out long contracts but today, they won the free agency battle, and only reason they got upper hand was because they were willing to commit long term!!

You can criticize this teams all you want but just imagine adding Chara to our core, even at $8 million, he could make us whole lot better and we have nothing that could land us that kind of talent from any trade either.

but still some fans are bashing Boston for doing this, Long term contracts could be bought out if things don't work out, but sitting duck with big cap space won't make us any better...

To end, If Montreal wants top UFA they have to commit long term, there is no way around that, but some fans are not accepting new rules of the game, and if this thinking prevails then we'll never land a top free agent again!!

Well some fans accept average team every year finishing, 7th or 8th, and will probably get that mark again...

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
montreal25m

Mythoughts...

To see who wins and looses the "free agent battle" won't be known until a year down the line. I personally would not want to commit that type of money to one player. What happens if the cap goes down? The habs are heading in the right direction..there goal should be to make sure they get Rivet and Markov signed long-term as soon as possible. Don't let them test the UFA market. So we have to commit money there...then...Higgins, Ryder, Komisarek...are all going to have to be locked up. The UFA market usually doesn't work out for there respected teams...at the "high" priced UFA's. I don't think Chara and Savard will make Boston that much more better...they have way to many wholes in there line up.

You mention, if it doesn't work out..you just buy them out. Not that easy...Look at the islanders..can't move Yashin....and if you buy them out..there is a hit to your cap space for future years too. Chara, Arnott all had career years on there final year of contract. Players know that they are locked up..no worries..tend to take a tail spin...not as much motivation to perform as they are not fighting for that RICH contract.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:10 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I think the feeling around here concerning long term contracts depends on the player. It all comes down to consistency.

A player like Chara has been playing at the same level for a couple years now, thus you know that a high level performance can be offered for every year on that contract.

If Kovy, Savard, Elias (not as much for him) or whomever gets a long term contract at a very high salary, only after having sporadic success, then the length of the contract becomes an issue. There is genuine concern that they won't be able to live up to their salary.

Old
07-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
To see who wins and looses the "free agent battle" won't be known until a year down the line. I personally would not want to commit that type of money to one player. What happens if the cap goes down? The habs are heading in the right direction..there goal should be to make sure they get Rivet and Markov signed long-term as soon as possible. Don't let them test the UFA market. So we have to commit money there...then...Higgins, Ryder, Komisarek...are all going to have to be locked up. The UFA market usually doesn't work out for there respected teams...at the "high" priced UFA's. I don't think Chara and Savard will make Boston that much more better...they have way to many wholes in there line up.

You mention, if it doesn't work out..you just buy them out. Not that easy...Look at the islanders..can't move Yashin....and if you buy them out..there is a hit to your cap space for future years too. Chara, Arnott all had career years on there final year of contract. Players know that they are locked up..no worries..tend to take a tail spin...not as much motivation to perform as they are not fighting for that RICH contract.
You don't want to give that kind of contract to players who could have that potentiel tendancy of sitting on it (read: Arnott). Elias, I would've give the guy the same thing, come on guys 6 millions per year for a top player, nice leader, that showed the same kind of courage than Saku did when he returned. And then you're all saying that Saku's contract is well deserved for the same reasons? Well 2 millions more for Elias makes up for 2 times the points he has in a season. Great investment.

I really don't care about the long investments like those, you just have to build around it, that's all. The return needs to be there though. Will Chara be as average in the next series as he was last year? Is Marc Savard that selfish, and will have that tendancy of sitting on his contract? Tons of questions for most of the players but potentially, as of now, everybody did make some improvement so far.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:16 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
My big problem with long term signings (ie over 3 years) is that with the new moving cap what happens if in the next 3 years the cap goes back down to say $36M then what does a team do?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Habs4ever

well you can't play fear game

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
My big problem with long term signings (ie over 3 years) is that with the new moving cap what happens if in the next 3 years the cap goes back down to say $36M then what does a team do?
lot of things could happen down the road but whats clear today is we have some cap space left and we could really improve our team today, rather then waiting for trade deadline..

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:27 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
lot of things could happen down the road but whats clear today is we have some cap space left and we could really improve our team today, rather then waiting for trade deadline..
YOu can't play fear game but say you sign two guys and then in two years from now once everyone has matured and you are really ready to contend and the cap drops by like 6M$ and you have to trade some people away and all of a sudden you are no longer as much of a contender.....

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
most of the bashing I see against team signning big players is the length of the contract, but even we did it last year with Kavalev with four years contract, and no one is taking short term contract this year...

I would understand the criticism if we had run out of Salary cap limit but we have plenty of money to spend but there won't be any player coming to montreal if we are looking for short term signning...

Ya Toronto, Boston, New Jercey, Minnesotta might have made mistake giving out long contracts but today, they won the free agency battle, and only reason they got upper hand was because they were willing to commit long term!!

You can criticize this teams all you want but just imagine adding Chara to our core, even at $8 million, he could make us whole lot better and we have nothing that could land us that kind of talent from any trade either.

but still some fans are bashing Boston for doing this, Long term contracts could be bought out if things don't work out, but sitting duck with big cap space won't make us any better...

To end, If Montreal wants top UFA they have to commit long term, there is no way around that, but some fans are not accepting new rules of the game, and if this thinking prevails then we'll never land a top free agent again!!

Well some fans accept average team every year finishing, 7th or 8th, and will probably get that mark again...
Yeah, you can buy the guy out. What a great option. You can give the guy 75% of his money, take the cap hit, and NOT have the player play for you. What a goooood option.

Now, let's look at the bunch of UFA's the Oilers and Canes brought in last summer.

...or the bunch or UFA's that Tampa brought in a couple years back.

Success is not achieved by bringing in a bunch of UFA's. If that was the case, the Rangers and Leafs would of traded back the Stanley cup for the past 6-7 years before the lockout.

Success is achieved by a GM making smart moves. Smart drafting, smart trading, smart signings, etc. etc. At no point does panicing and overpaying for a bunch of UFA's come into the mix.

07-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
You don't want to give that kind of contract to players who could have that potentiel tendancy of sitting on it (read: Arnott). Elias, I would've give the guy the same thing, come on guys 6 millions per year for a top player, nice leader, that showed the same kind of courage than Saku did when he returned. And then you're all saying that Saku's contract is well deserved for the same reasons? Well 2 millions more for Elias makes up for 2 times the points he has in a season. Great investment.

I really don't care about the long investments like those, you just have to build around it, that's all. The return needs to be there though. Will Chara be as average in the next series as he was last year? Is Marc Savard that selfish, and will have that tendancy of sitting on his contract? Tons of questions for most of the players but potentially, as of now, everybody did make some improvement so far.
Totally agree. Koivu and Elias aren't likely to sit on a juicy contract so signing them long term isn't a concern. Plus, you're signing guy that you ALREADY HAD, so you know them from within, know their strenght and limitations so you know absolutely what you're getting.

The long term signings that are ridiculous to me is the Kubina-esque 4 years 20mill. I mean you give 5 mill/year to a guy who ws in and out of the dog house for a couple of years in TB (but then again who wasn't ? ) , he's got a reputation for being inconsistant and having character issues... and you committ to him for 5 years ??? What has he done that warrants that kind of trust ? If things don't work out with him, you have basically screwed your franchise for the better part of 5 years cause he'll be un-tra-da-ble.

I'm sure as hell happy Bob G didn't give him this contract

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post

Well apparently Elias turned down 5 years 35 millions from montreal.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Well apparently Elias turned down 5 years 35 millions from montreal.
thats rumors...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Totally agree. Koivu and Elias aren't likely to sit on a juicy contract so signing them long term isn't a concern.
Not to disagree about those two, but I remember hearing the EXACT same thing when the Rangers signed Holik.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote