HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Postgame and 3 Stars : 2/1/13 : STL @ DET

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Zetterberg 79 96.34%
Franzen 26 31.71%
Datsyuk 36 43.90%
Ericsson 51 62.20%
Brunner 13 15.85%
Smith 4 4.88%
Howard 8 9.76%
Kronwall 2 2.44%
Backes 14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Smith has been pretty good, but I'm still waiting to see his offensive abilities. I haven't really seen much yet.

He looked much more threatening last year when he had his stint.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
We must have been seeing two different plays then. There was definitely a notable time gap between Huskins passing the puck and getting clobbered.
Aaron Ward of TSN tweeted that there were between 10 and 14 frames between Huskins moving the puck and the hit, which translates to about half a second...So I wouldn't call it a late hit or a hit to the head.

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post

@0:35
No puck on his stick, and Backes hasn't even hit him yet.
Yup, thanks, got that. Guys get hit all the time after they pass the puck, and not every instance is a penalty.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Nyquist

The Backes hit was right after Huskins passed the puck. Those kind of hits happen all the time, basically every shift. It wasn't interference, and it wasn't a hit to the head. We got a gift and we took advantage of it.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Smith has been pretty good, but I'm still waiting to see his offensive abilities. I haven't really seen much yet.
I think he's reeled in the offensive chances he'd normally take after struggling the first couple of games. I've noticed a few times where he'd make a move with the puck that no other D on our team could make, but in general, he's playing it safe. Sucks that he's saddled with Q at ES, would rather have him with a stay at home type to free Smitty up a little on offense.

And the 2nd PP unit is a complete cluster... nothing they do works, and all of 5 of them seem to set the game of hockey back 15 years whenever they take the ice. I'm hoping they balance out the PP units more, which would give him more to work with.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He looked much more threatening last year when he had his stint.
True. But I think he's trying to play a more well rounded game. Would love to see him paired with Big E so he can take more chances and be more offensive. I'm loving the way Big E is playing. Great passing out of the zone. Great on the PK and being very physical and smart.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
True. But I think he's trying to play a more well rounded game. Would love to see him paired with Big E so he can take more chances and be more offensive. I'm loving the way Big E is playing. Great passing out of the zone. Great on the PK and being very physical and smart.
I want E on the 2nd PP unit. Kindl and Smith are a complete trainwreck right along with
Cleary and somewhat Bertuzzi. Filppula is the only one of the 2nd PP unit that should really be out there.

We really need to just run our top 2 lines on the PP... The current 2nd unit kills the PP more than the opposing PK does...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I want E on the 2nd PP unit. Kindl and Smith are a complete trainwreck right along with
Cleary and somewhat Bertuzzi. Filppula is the only one of the 2nd PP unit that should really be out there.

We really need to just run our top 2 lines on the PP... The current 2nd unit kills the PP more than the opposing PK does...
We could always just not play the 2nd unit & cycle Filppula in for whoever's tired on the 1st unit.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Novacain

Blues fan in peace.

Zetterberg (My phone wanted to auto correct that to Letterhead. I was tempted to leave it.) was amazing. Shame that's not what the game will be remembered for.

Regardless, good game today. Hopefully from here on in, there are no more "buts" after we play all the first two. Good luck.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:

Yeah, I'd like to see Z and Pav broken up on the PP. And please, no more Brunner on the point.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
nik jr

zetterberg by far

i thought ericsson and franzen also had good games, but i missed most of 1st period.

whoever made that crap call on backes was also very, very important. would vote for him, but he's not in the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
And on the seventh game, Henrik Zetterberg said, "Let there be curly fries", and it was good.

Quote:

worth a try

2nd PP is a clown show.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
So I set up the DVR for NHL Network... and there is no game on my DVR? WTF?
Exact same thing happened to me.

I set my DVR, and when I went to start it at about 8:15, it goes about a half second through whatever commercial was playing at 7:30 and freezes. Luckily I was able to kill it and record the 2nd and 3rd periods.

And since it was on NHL Network and not Centre Ice, no replays to watch. Fun.

It was a pretty wild game from the 2 periods I saw - a lot of power plays on cheap calls both ways early, then they decided they would put the whistles away, then they got them back out in the 3rd and made some more stupid calls highlighted by the Backes hit.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Good game guys. Zetterberg is phenomenal and it's sad his performance will be forgotten.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Good game guys. Zetterberg is phenomenal and it's sad his performance will be forgotten.
It won't be forgotten by wings fans

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
Right, because if the shoe was on the other foot and Oshie got a hat trick you would forget about it.

Iowa Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
It won't be forgotten by wings fans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Wingsfan View Post
Right, because if the shoe was on the other foot and Oshie got a hat trick you would forget about it.
I'm sorry I meant by the general public. Zetterberg's individual effort should be what people are talking most about.

I truly just meant to comment on how awesome he played. Sorry if I misconstrued that.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
I think he meant that it is going to be overshadowed by that Backes major. Someone on either side could have scored 5 times tonight and they'd still probably be overshadowed by the worst call I've ever seen.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Come on, you know what he meant, and that he wasn't picking a fight.

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
I'm sorry I meant by the general public. Zetterberg's individual effort should be what people are talking most about.

I truly just meant to comment on how awesome he played. Sorry if I misconstrued that.
Accepted. My reading comprehension is usually pretty fair when I am sober, the Molson Canadian was flowing freely tonight. I might have reacted a little quick to that, my fault.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Iowa Wingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
Come on, you know what he meant, and that he wasn't picking a fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
I think he meant that it is going to be overshadowed by that Backes major. Someone on either side could have scored 5 times tonight and they'd still probably be overshadowed by the worst call I've ever seen.
Yep, I was a little over sensitive. My bad. I will try to KCCO.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:32 PM
sepster

I wouldn't call it the worst I've ever seen, from the vantage point of the ref who called it, in real time, I can see how he made the call. Now, he was completely wrong but I can see how it happened.

I still contend the Brad May non-goal is the worst call I've ever seen. Or countless goals called back because of "goalie interference." But, granted tonight's call was not a good one.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
I wouldn't call it the worst I've ever seen, from the vantage point of the ref who called it, in real time, I can see how he made the call. Now, he was completely wrong but I can see how it happened.

I still contend the Brad May non-goal is the worst call I've ever seen. Or countless goals called back because of "goalie interference." But, granted tonight's call was not a good one.
The Brad May non-goal was hands down the worst call I've ever seen. Just brutal.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
The Brad May non-goal was hands down the worst call I've ever seen. Just brutal.
Think I may have had a few too many tonight, I completely forgot about the May no-goal call.
Even still, the Backes call was pretty bad.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

From Khan:

Quote:
Babcock said he had no update on Huskins. Wings have extra defenseman in Lashoff. Howard will start tomm. In Columbus.
https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive/s...46353406529537

Glad to hear Jimmy is fine, hopefully Huskins is ok. Guy has been a rock for us so far.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Just watched the game.

Z put da team on his back do.

We got severely outplayed in the 2nd but came back nicely in the 3rd.

Quincey still sucks.

And god, was that call on Backes atrocious. I'll take it but wow was that bad.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote