HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
That's exactly how many game coached every single NHL coach had at some point.
That's nice. But it wouldn't be an expansion team, and you are not exactly inheriting a bad coach and GM. They are probably the best duo next to Holland/Babcock in the league.

Quote:
He also has a couple Conn Smyth and 4 Stanley cups. Not as a coach of course, but he knows what it takes to win. Plus he's a super star in Quebec city.
You realize you are talking to a Coyote fan, right? We had front row seats for the Gretzky debacle. Past performance in the NHL means little. If anything, the players that were never stars turn out to be the best coaches.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
QC and Rempart fans are forgetting something:

Isn't Patrick a part-owner of the franchise as well as the coach? I would want to be transitioning to an owner or the next higher level, not stepping backward to be a GM w/ no ownership interest..... wouldn't he have to relinquish all positions within the Rempart organization.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
QC and Rempart fans are forgetting something:

Isn't Patrick a part-owner of the franchise as well as the coach? I would want to be transitioning to an owner or the next higher level, not stepping backward to be a GM w/ no ownership interest..... wouldn't he have to relinquish all positions within the Rempart organization.
Why would this be an issue? Olaf Kolzig owns the Tri-City Americans in the WHL AND he's a goalie coach with the Caps.

Old
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM
GF

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
That's nice. But it wouldn't be an expansion team, and you are not exactly inheriting a bad coach and GM. They are probably the best duo next to Holland/Babcock in the league.

You realize you are talking to a Coyote fan, right? We had front row seats for the Gretzky debacle. Past performance in the NHL means little. If anything, the players that were never stars turn out to be the best coaches.
Tippett is a fine coach. I wasn't debating that.

Roy is actually a coach. Gretzky wasn't. Roy won the memorial cup as a coach. People can love or hate him. But he is a fine coach and many nhl teams showed interest in him already.

The only problem I have with Tippett is his defensive style. Not much fun to watch but ot gets the job done. Especially when your gm can't afford expensive free agents with offensive talent.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Undertakerqc

More voices from Seattle saying that their city is not ready for potential relocation of the Coyotes: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5389--nhl.html

Its getting clearer by the minute that if the Coyotes moves this year its to our beloved city.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:14 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Tippett is a fine coach. I wasn't debating that.

Roy is actually a coach. Gretzky wasn't. Roy won the memorial cup as a coach. People can love or hate him. But he is a fine coach and many nhl teams showed interest in him already.

The only problem I have with Tippett is his defensive style. Not much fun to watch but ot gets the job done. Especially when your gm can't afford expensive free agents with offensive talent.
Some things you don't like about Tippett are the reasons who ever gets the Coyotes should keep him. You do know that if you move the team to Quebec, change the GM and the coach, half if not more of the players will be in the bureau of the next GM asking for a trade ASAP, the other half...well they might not follow the team at all.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Some things you don't like about Tippett are the reasons who ever gets the Coyotes should keep him. You do know that if you move the team to Quebec, change the GM and the coach, half if not more of the players will be in the bureau of the next GM asking for a trade ASAP, the other half...well they might not follow the team at all.
Nonsense and you know it. Anyway this team will need to rebuild at some point. Its old and made up of scrap parts. I like Tippet, but i doubt he will follow to Quebec. Maloney, i am not a big fan of.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
GF

Nordiques had Crawford as head coach. I don't see why Tippett couldn't be. The real question is, will he want to move to QC?

If he does, good for him. If he doesn't, he can be replaced by either Roy or (insert whoever you think might be a good coach).

Old
02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Nonsense and you know it. Anyway this team will need to rebuild at some point. Its old and made up of scrap parts. I like Tippet, but i doubt he will follow to Quebec. Maloney, i am not a big fan of.
old? it's quite a young team at it's core, good defensive core all under 31 except Derek Morris. Only Doan and Sullivan are over 31.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Quebec has a TV deal, hell, Quebec has a whole sports network to itself, plus potential access to PKP's priced and highly, highly popular TVA channel
This is something that people are really, really ignoring. If the Coyotes move to Québec, there are zero media questions. The Nordiques instantly become a large revenue source for the team (thus making it even less likely to need league assistance in the short or long terms). It's not so simple in Seattle. The Coyotes are only going to Seattle if the Kings are too. Are the media rights and revenue with the new RSN going to be split 50/50 between the Seattle NBA and NHL franchises? Doubtful. The NHL and NBA franchises aren't going to be owned by the same ownership groups, and the NBA is considerably more valuable than the NHL in the States. It's particularly more valuable in Seattle, a city which was an excellent NBA market before being sabotaged and has a very large pent-up demand for the return of the NBA; Sonics fans are like Nordiques fans.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Undertakerqc

Nice shootout win by the Stars on the Coyotes tonight. I am hoping the Coyotes are eliminated quickly this year, so relocation does'nt get delayed this year.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Nice shootout win by the Stars on the Coyotes tonight. I am hoping the Coyotes are eliminated quickly this year, so relocation does'nt get delayed this year.
uh, Pat, wht does the above post have to do w/ QC? Did U MISS THESE TEAMS ALSO PLAYED BACK TO BACK Two weeks ago or the opening weekend of the 48 gm season

Old
02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Uggggg! I'm a Habs fan but cripes I'm all for a return of the Nordiques.....the Montreal-Quebec games were some of the absolute best classic rivalry games of the '80s ffs.
If the Nordiques come back, and I'm hoping they do, they better do it right and go back to their traditional look. No messing around like Winnipeg...

Old
02-02-2013, 12:04 AM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If the Nordiques come back, and I'm hoping they do, they better do it right and go back to their traditional look. No messing around like Winnipeg...
Yeah, I would preferred to see the Jets using their old look.....I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist where uniforms are concerned so you KNOW I'm banking on the classic Nordiques colors

Old
02-02-2013, 12:11 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
I don't know it.

What I do know tho is that Doan, Yandle and maybe a few others will definitly not follow/take it very hard. I also know Vermette will end up on first line and I hate that "Habs" mentality.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Stephen

Quote:
I don't know it.

What I do know tho is that Doan, Yandle and maybe a few others will definitly not follow/take it very hard. I also know Vermette will end up on first line and I hate that "Habs" mentality.
You guys seem like a paranoid bunch... who cares what those Yotes players think in the short term. Trade them for assets and build a new tradition.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:19 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
But the Jets have the best away jerseys in the league...

Old
02-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
You guys seem like a paranoid bunch... who cares what those Yotes players think in the short term. Trade them for assets and build a new tradition.
He is, i am not.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I thought it made sense for the Jets to change things around...their traditional colours were nice but their logo was not exactly a classic...Their colour scheme now is kind of overdone but I like it, and it fits.

The Nordiques are another story, their logo and jerseys are iconic, I hope when they return they only modify it a little.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:14 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
More voices from Seattle saying that their city is not ready for potential relocation of the Coyotes: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5389--nhl.html

Its getting clearer by the minute that if the Coyotes moves this year its to our beloved city.
More good news for QC, there might be a counter-offer, if not a court case, over the sale of the Sacramento Kings to Hansen. See http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/25/514...o-bid-for.html The reason that's important is that construction of the new Seattle arena is contingent on an NBA team for Seattle. No Seattle NBA team == no new arena. There's a thread on this board devoted to the sale of the NBA Sacramento Kings http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=58880257 There is supposed to be an NBA BOG meeting April 19th to ratify the sale of the Kings. That's the next deadline for Coyotes watchers.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:55 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
WE'RE NOT PARANOID! WE'RE NOT PARANOID!

WHAT'S THAT NOISE I AM HEARING? A THIEF I SUPPOSE! WHERE'S MY GUN?

Saturday morning kidding ;-)

Old
02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Hal1971

[QUOTE=

I know the language factor is even more pronounced in Quebec City as opposed to even Montreal, but the lion's share of the players and coaches of the NHL don't really care. You'll be seeing lots of Visnovsky and Lindros situations pop up before long if the need to communicate with the fans and media outshines actual performance, as callous as that may be to say.[/QUOTE]

The only french that Sakic knew was Merci, and believe me, he was still adored in Quebec City, so actually, ice performance outshine everything.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
JB52

Quote:
I don't know it.

Why Yandle wouldn't want to play in Quebec City? He played in Moncton in the QMJHL, so it look like is not afraid of remote communities, he already knows the Colisée and how sympathetic we are.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Why Yandle wouldn't want to play in Quebec City? He played in Moncton in the QMJHL, so it look like is not afraid of remote communities, he already knows the Colisée and how sympathetic we are.
Yandle loves Phoenix. I'd imagine he would want to be traded to another team, rather than move with it to Canada. Also, he is worth quite a bit in trade and could fetch some nice forwards. Morris is the same way. Along with Doan, I think those three get traded. Everyone else will be happy to play for QC.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
blues10

Quote:
I don't know it.

IF Doan chose to retire he would stick the Nords with un-used salary under the salary cap.

He doens't like the limelight or being recognozed in public so he may ask for a trade to Florida or any other such market.

Closed Thread