HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I know Sgarbossa and Agozzino are prime candidates for the next callup...what about Luke Walker? Stats-wise he appears to be doing reasonably well.
Agozzino won't as he isn't under contract with the Avs. Just with Lake Erie. I'd bet that he is signed after the AHL season is over.

Luke Walker is still a few years away from contributing (if he ever does). He really should have stayed for his overage year in Portland. I think it stunted his offensive development. Now he will be at best a checking winger

Old
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

Whilst Walker was showing progress, he has been sidelined with a concussion for a while already..i don't believe Walker's game was stunted, his talent was never really high end to be an offensive force in the pro ranks.. think he's developing nicely

Old
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Agozzino won't as he isn't under contract with the Avs. Just with Lake Erie. I'd bet that he is signed after the AHL season is over.

Luke Walker is still a few years away from contributing (if he ever does). He really should have stayed for his overage year in Portland. I think it stunted his offensive development. Now he will be at best a checking winger
Isn't that all Walker was meant to be? I don't think the Av's selected him thinking he would be a scoring winger.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:04 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Isn't that all Walker was meant to be? I don't think the Av's selected him thinking he would be a scoring winger.
Maybe I should restate that... I think now the best he can be is a 4th line checking winger. With better development he might have been able to turn into a guy who could step into a 3rd line role and chip in 8-10 goals a season.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Like Av-merican said, this question was asked a page or two ago.

Gaunce played a lot more in Thursday's game with the Barrie call up and the Elliott scratch. He was a non-factor and I didn't notice him, which, overall is a good thing. He nearly got a stick on van der Gulik's goal going hard to the net, though that's not exactly where he's supposed to be.

But, as I said previously, he doesn't seem to be getting any better. Definitely has plateaued, possibly regressed. Lacks any physical edge and his agility and foot speed are killing him against smaller, skilled forwards. The better the caliber of player on the ice against him, the more he has struggled this season.
Wait...I had to do a double-take on this...Elliott was scratched!?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Wait...I had to do a double-take on this...Elliott was scratched!?
Supposedly has been scratched a few games now. Not performance-related. Didn't play Saturday either.

I'm probably going to Thursday's game. I'll see if I can find out anything from my buddy who works for the team.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
What's the deal with the goaler situation in LE? Is Pickard or Aitto hurt since Patterson was just called up?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
What's the deal with the goaler situation in LE? Is Pickard or Aitto hurt since Patterson was just called up?
I assume Pickard is hurt because like you said Patterson was called up and also Pickard was watching Ellen less than an hour ago instead of getting ready for the game.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I assume Pickard is hurt because like you said Patterson was called up and also Pickard was watching Ellen less than an hour ago instead of getting ready for the game.

Doug Plagens says NOPE

Quote:
Starting goalies: Calvin Pickard (12-9-1/2.79/.912) for @monstershockey; Danny Taylor (11-7-1/1.75/.930) for #Abbotsford
Aitto hurt?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Doug Plagens says NOPE

Aitto hurt?
Why the hell was he watching Ellen?!?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Why the hell was he watching Ellen?!?
Game prep.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Foppa Frossa

Dat Game Prep.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

He only allowed 1 goal tonight, maybe he should watch more Ellen.

4-1 Monsters.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
He only allowed 1 goal tonight, maybe he should watch more Ellen.

4-1 Monsters.
You forgot the best part Beaupre with is first AHL goal!!!

Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Still think the best part was that he was watching Ellen.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Awesome.

A couple years from now when Hunny, SOB, Zanon and co are gone, Beaupre will make a nice 3rd pairing defender.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Skating Tripods

Well, unfortunately, I don't have much to report. My buddy had no idea what the injury was to Elliott. He did say that when Millan was recalled whenever that was, it was because Aittokallio was sick. Seems like that might be the problem again with the Patterson recall. No word on when Lerg might return either. Hishon remains a mystery. He updates the online scoresheet throughout the game, so he's not really on the inside. I thought there'd be a chance he'd know about Elliott from somebody else, but no dice.

As for the game itself, Pickard played strong. Good rebound control. He looks a lot more comfortable than he looked at the start of the season. Confidence is building. He's standing taller in the crease and challenging shooters. Looks good.

Stollery and Beaupre were terrific last night. Beaupre's goal was a one-timer five-hole off a good pass by Paul Carey. Stollery's become the team's #1 defenseman with Barrie up and Elliott out. He's looked really good. He's got a heavy shot, too.

The Monsters are clearly lacking skill. The powerplay got some great chances, all from defensemen firing pucks on net, but there's nobody to create any space down low. Thomas's PPG was a laser beam from the left point.

Malone's goal was a fluky bounce off the end-boards. Snowballed into Beaupre's goal a couple minutes later. Abbotsford was pretty deflated at that point.

Carey's shorty was pretty. Took it right away from the defenseman and beat Taylor easily.

Agozzino was pretty quiet. One decent chance. Not much from Connolly. Geoff Walker was active, but the seven shots on goal he was credited for is way off-base. He maybe had two or three.

All in all, based on who's here and what the Monsters are missing, that was one of the most complete efforts I've seen from them this season. They could have had a 3-0 lead after the first shift. They set the tone early and carried it through 60 mins.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Have there been any more Hishon updates? Is he still practicing with the team. Is he alive?

Old
02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

thanks for the info.. a lack of information is nothing new to Avs fans!

As for injuries aside from the mystery of Elliott I was under the impression that Lerg was pretty much done for the year from knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, Sullivan is closing on a return from a broken jaw that was wired, Luke Walker has a concussion and Aitto has a lower body injury..

Wish the Plain dealer or someone could provide a little more coverage on these things at times!

Old
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post

As for injuries aside from the mystery of Elliott I was under the impression that Lerg was pretty much done for the year from knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, Sullivan is closing on a return from a broken jaw that was wired, Luke Walker has a concussion and Aitto has a lower body injury..

Wish the Plain dealer or someone could provide a little more coverage on these things at times!

Are we cursed or something?
Seriously I might have to check on other teams injury report.

The amount of concussions and lingering injuries in this organisation is astonishing.

I really start to question our medical staff...

Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Are we cursed or something?
Seriously I might have to check on other teams injury report.

The amount of concussions and lingering injuries in this organisation is astonishing.

I really start to question our medical staff...
How in the world is it the fault of the medical staff for players suffering concussions?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
How in the world is it the fault of the medical staff for players suffering concussions?
In this situation with Luke Walker it isn't, because LEM's staff is separate from the Avs. But with Landeskog one could make the case they failed to adequately test him, even though as we all know and have pointed out concussions are far more tricky than that.

I don't see it as our Medical staff so much as our conditioning and coaching. It's their job to make sure the players are fit to play and need to improve their system so that it doesn't make players injury susceptible. Half of our passes I worry about in the neutral zone, because guys are getting passed to right before getting laid out. I could imagine the same problem causing injuries in Lake Erie too.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
The fact they allowed Landeskog to come back and play after the hit is troublesome.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post

I can't confirm or deny any of those things. Where did you hear them?

The Sullivan jaw thing makes sense. I believe I was at a game where he got hit by a shot, but I thought it hit him in the shoulder and I never thought anything else of it.

That said, Lauridsen and Chouinard have played well enough to keep Sullivan in the press box when he returns.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
The fact they allowed Landeskog to come back and play after the hit is troublesome.
Sure. Still has absolutely nothing to do with the volume of concussions Avs players and prospects have suffered.

Closed Thread